PDA

View Full Version : Carpenters in Pittsburgh area?

SoCalFan
02-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Im a Union finish Carpenter in the L.A. O.C. area of Cali. I was just wondering how the market is in that area of Pa. for Union Carpenters?Any tradesperson in the building trades can chime in ie.electricians,pipefitters,drywallers,plumbers etc...

ricardisimo
02-18-2011, 08:08 PM
You leaving town for work, or adventure, or something else? I have to assume that, despite the housing bubble and everything else, we're still a lot better off here in Southern Cal. Longer work year, too, remember. No snow.

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2011, 11:44 PM
You leaving town for work, or adventure, or something else? I have to assume that, despite the housing bubble and everything else, we're still a lot better off here in Southern Cal. Longer work year, too, remember. No snow.
union construction workers don't usually do residential work. most union work is government funded projects.

MACH1
02-19-2011, 03:11 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now thats some funny shit.

ricardisimo
02-20-2011, 12:53 AM
union construction workers don't usually do residential work. most union work is government funded projects.
That's not entirely true. Most every contractor in town here is union. That's for all kinds of work, from general home repair and maintenance to building highway forms.

Mind you, not everyone working under the head contractor on non-government jobs is union... most of them aren't even citizens, I'd venture to guess. But the head contractor and the apprentices are.

MasterOfPuppets
02-20-2011, 12:58 PM
That's not entirely true. Most every contractor in town here is union. That's for all kinds of work, from general home repair and maintenance to building highway forms.

Mind you, not everyone working under the head contractor on non-government jobs is union... most of them aren't even citizens, I'd venture to guess. But the head contractor and the apprentices are.
i've worked out of the local for over 20 years and have never been sent to a residential job. then again your talking about a state where 30% of the population shouldn't even be in the country , so i guess things are bound to be a bit different, :chuckle:
we have 2 classifications for jobs .. "heavy" , and "highway"
the heavy is commercial buildings or factory upgrades , highway is pretty self explanatory.
i don't know how you do it there , but here the contractors have contracts with the unions regarding who they are allowed to employ. the only non union people allowed are in the supervisor role and they are not allowed to actually do any type of manuel labor. ... there is actually limits to the amount of their own personel they can bring to a job even if they are union. by that i mean an out of the area contractor can't man the job with 100% of "their guys" even if they do belong to a local. they must maintain a ratio of area local guys to "their guys".
as far as "head" contractors go , which we in the business refer to as the "general" contractor :wink02:. they may on certain circumstances sub contract part of the job to non union contractors , and vise versa. sometimes a nonunion gerneral might sub out to a union contractor. but its not like you'll have union and nonunion guys working side by side. the case would be something like the union contractor might sub out the roofing or electrical to a nonunion contractor.

here's the difference between east coast unions and west coast unions....
i used to work exclusively for a contractor who bidded jobs all over the country.
east coast - my first day on a job in washington DC , i was in the parking lot for maybe 5 minutes before a shop steward came to me asking for my union ID and tranfer papers.
west coast - i was sent to work on a job in beaverton oregon , i was there about 12 weeks , not one person even asked if i belonged to a union , let alone asked if i transferred in to their local.