PDA

View Full Version : Colts cut ex-Pro Bowler Bob Sanders

steelax04
02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Two-time Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders, plagued in recent years by injuries that have limited him to nine games in three seasons, has been cut by the Indianapolis Colts.

Sanders, scheduled to make a $5.5 million base salary with a $500,000 offseason workout bonus, was released just three years after being named NFL defensive player of the year.

"We thank Bob for all his incredible contributions, from his Super Bowl interception to his defensive player of the year honor," Colts owner Jim Irsay said in a team statement, referring to Sanders' 38-yard, fourth-quarter play in the 2007 Super Bowl win over the Chicago Bears.

Sanders, who tore the biceps muscle in his right arm during the first quarter of the season-opener, later had surgery and did not return for the Colts in 2010.

But it was only the latest addition to a long list of career injuries. In 2009, Sanders went on season-ending injured reserve with a torn biceps in the left arm.

"I want to thank Mr. Irsay for the opportunity to play with the Colts," Sanders said in the team statement. "I appreciate all he and the organization did for me throughout my career, and I always will consider myself a Colt. I want to thank the fans also for their great support. They played a big part in making my seven years with the team very rewarding."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6135553

Any guesses on who starts the "Let's sign Sanders!!!111" thread?

Atlanta Dan
02-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Further illustration taht the skill set required to be a top flight NFL safety apparently exposes your body to breaking down

Sanders injury history makes Troy look like Mr. Durability

Three top safeties of recent years in terms of imapct have been Ed Reed, Troy and Sanders, with each having been DPOY - all three have significant time missed due to injuries

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Any guesses on who starts the "Let's sign Sanders!!!111" thread?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=70961

:toofunny: didn't take long.

but all jokes aside , for 5 million a year , i'd take a chance on him. :noidea:

Buddha Bus
02-18-2011, 05:46 PM
No thanks. Too many injuries. His body just can't take the abuse.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/bawanaal/Doll_Girl_Broken_edited.jpg

BigRick
02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Why would you want to pay someone 5 mil, whos has missed more games than he has played in his career? :helmet:

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Why would you want to pay someone 5 mil, whos has missed more games than he has played in his career? :helmet:
why would you pay someone 5 mil that sucks ? ( mcfadden )
he'd be worth 5 mill just knowing you have quality depth behind troy and clark. i'd much rather have sanders as a nickle back than gay.

bubbletownwr88
02-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I'd rather have the Easter bunny at nickle back than gay.

fer522
02-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd rather take Chump Baily if he's available :noidea:

BigRick
02-19-2011, 07:52 PM
why would you pay someone 5 mil that sucks ? ( mcfadden )
he'd be worth 5 mill just knowing you have quality depth behind troy and clark. i'd much rather have sanders as a nickle back than gay.

I agree McFadden sucks. But Sanders has played 3 games the last 3 seasons. He is too prone to injury. :helmet:

Fire Arians
02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
he got injured while walking to the owner's office