PDA

View Full Version : Focus is Offense

SteelerJay
02-18-2011, 07:32 PM
As I review the year past and slowly get over the SB loss, I have come to the conclusion that the key to success in 2011 is strengthening the offense.

The Steelers will always have a stiff, dominant and competent Defense - it's what the Steelers are about. There are times, however, when teams will put some points up on your defense, in today's NFL. When that happens, your offense needs to be there to bail you out.

In the 1978 SB, Dallas scored 31 points on the great Steeler Defense but Bradshaw and company dropped a 35 on Dallas.

Pittsburgh should have scored more than 25 in this past SB, if it wasn't for poor execution on offense and a lack of premier offensive personnel.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
I think they have good players on offense. It seems to me that it's the inconsistent execution that's really holding them back. Penalties killed a lot of drives this past season too.

SteelerJay
02-18-2011, 11:11 PM
The offensive philosophy needs to be tweaked. It would appear to be a school yard type passing attack at times. With the Packers missing two key DB's, the Steelers did not attack the new players as that was "not part of their philsophy" to go after individual players. Ben excels with the broken play but I think there needs to be a commitment to the game plan by the QB before utilizing his broken play capability. My guess is Ken Whisenhunt pushed for this with Ben, while Bruce Arians is not a stickler with this approach.

steelerjim58
02-18-2011, 11:51 PM
I think losing Sanders put a damper on what the Steelers could do against a depleted Packers Defense. But consistency on offense is all that is lacking.

MACH1
02-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Best way to "strengthen" the O is get a OC that can attack weaknesses, is aware of situational football, and not out smart himself.

SteelerJay
02-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Mach 1 - good thinking...

Need an elite offense to go with an elite Defense..

The Defense is filled and surrounded by talent and coaches that know what to do

The Offense? Getting there but need to add 2 playmakers at skill positions (WR, TE or another RB) and a decision about the OC and overall philosophy

SoCalFan
02-19-2011, 11:21 AM
+2 on MACH1s thoughts!There are so many "situations" during a game on offense throughout the year that even us fans at home would have made better decisions.Just go back and read some of the game day threads!Its frustrating the way the offense is being ran!Not trying to get this moved to the fire Arians thread but,FIRE ARIANS!!!

SteelerJay
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
That's why I'm thinking we need to not shut out any opportunity in FA or the draft to better the offense, along with the future picks, we need ready, skilled guys

the core team is there to make another run but a couple of nice pickups can take us over the hump

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I think our offense will be fine. Most or all of our offensive struggles (besides Arians' awful situational playcalling) were due to:

1) Injuries on the offensive line - how many SB teams can say they went into midseason with both starting tackles out (possibly the most important Olinemen besides C), and only one of our original 5 starters still present at season's end? And I do think those injuries were a freak occurance for the most part. With Flozell, Starks, and Colon, we have 3 viable starters to compete for two starting Tackle positions. Pouncey will be even better next season, and hopefully Kemo leaves this ugly season behind him. Our Oline will be in good shape to start 2011 (2012?). We could maybe use another interior lineman, Pouncey's younger brother might be nice if we could get him (doubtful with pick #31).

2) Our 3rd and 4th WRs were rookies - Most roookies hit their "rookie wall" around week 11 of the regular season. We were lucky-- Pouncey was a beast right up until he got his ankle blown out, and Sanders and Brown actually came on stronger towards the end of the season! But rookie receivers are known for struggling with execution their first season, as they have to think actively about everything, whereas a guy like Ward runs his routes almost automatically and his whole focus is on catching the ball. Expect to see a huge jump in production out of Sanders and Browns next season, and Randle El will descend further down the depth chart, if we even keep him. I am willing to bet that 90% of the drops we saw this year were due to rookie struggles at WR (and we know now that Spaeth cannot catch-- too bad, would be nice to have a 6'7" redzone target).

Our problems, believe it or not, are not related to offensive personnel, IMHO. We could use a true FB and another OG on offense, and that is about all. What we DO need:

1) Dline - need to start drafting the future of our defensive line NOW, so they have at least one season to learn behind Big Snack, Kiesel, and Smith before those guys really have to go to pasture. How many more seasons do you think those three guys have left in them? One, maybe two?

2) CB - Unless Crezdon Butler turns out to be the second coming of Rod Woodson, we need help at CB REALLY BAD. McFadden and Gay might be great in run support, but the game today has progressed beyond being able to field a couple of mediocre CBs and covering up their weaknesses in coverage by playing a soft zone. Truth be told, neither of them even look fit to play in the slot or dime-- if they cannot cover a rookie tight end, they have no business calling themselves defensive backs. Obviously Joe Burnett and Keenan Dumbass Lewis have nothing to offer themselves, or they would have gotten some playing time. The reason the Jets were able to beat the Patriots, even though they do not have the pass rush we have, is because Revis and Cromartie were able to buy their pass rush enough time to get to Shady Brady. Gay and McFadden do not force any QB's hand at all.....every QB in the league knows they suck and that using a short yardage, high-percentage passing game in their direction is a sure recipe for success. That needs to be fixed if we want to continue to be a contender in this increasingly pass-happy league.

SH-Rock
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Best way to "strengthen" the O is get a OC that can attack weaknesses, is aware of situational football, and not out smart himself.

It's cool if you outsmart yourself, but also confuse your opponent. It's not when you outsmart yourself but somehow you lay your plan out to the opponent. :doh:

lipps83
02-20-2011, 01:08 AM
The pass defense is a problem too. I am not saying the players, but the scheme. They have to come up with something different behind the zone blitz. Teams for the most part, figured out how to beat this defense AND GREEN BAY SAID WHAT THEY WERE GOING TO DO BEFORE THE SUPER BOWL WAS EVEN PLAYED. Just about every media outlet mentioned it.

Pass the ball. A lot.

It has been the achilles heel for years. Before Dick even came back. Before William Gay or even Ike Taylor were here.

Its not the players, its not Dick. The problem is playing 10 yards off the receiver.

SteelerJay
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
I tend to agree with you Lipps83. It's football fundamentals, if you blitz and you don't get to the QB in time, you open up yourself to a big play. Now, if you can cover 4 wides tightly for 5 seconds or so, you'll be a world beater.

I think one needs to look at how to attack the zone blitz in order to understand how to fix the weakness. I hope Tomlin and Lebeau and the assistants sit down this off-season and give it some thought. To a layman like me, it appears there's always wide open spaces to be attacked with the ZB.

stb_steeler
02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
I often wonder what our offense would be like if we had time like Brady has sometimes in the pocket. Would Ben be able to make completions well enough?. Would he have to learn a new system since he's really not used to doing it that way. I know he's not labeled as a pocket passer. But during the SB, it seemed he had time to stay in the pocket and when he did throw the ball the timing looked off. Is it because he's not used to it or just cant do it?. So if the OL got beefed up (so to speak) to the point Ben could knit a sweater back there, would he be able to deal with that?...

TRH
02-20-2011, 05:11 PM
If we don't fix the g****amn pass defense, you might as well forget about the offense doing anything anyway and also forget about beating any elite teams. Guess what they're going to do next year? Even the "not-so-elite" are going to throw the ball 50 or 60 times a game.

SteelerJay
02-21-2011, 11:18 AM
The 'play the percentages' type defense...keep the WR in front of you, so he doesn't burn you for a quick score; let the offense work and be patient, to score; I remember the DJ Johnson era under Cowher and Capers, the guy was always 10 yards back.

The Zone Blitz needs a tweak...maybe it's just something that better DB's would fix..

On the other hand, if you have a dominant offense, you control the clock and the game