PDA

View Full Version : blame it on the Steelers???

4xSBChamps
02-20-2011, 07:57 AM
saw this article this AM in the St. Pete Times, by Tom Jones, and thought members of this site would enjoy reading it

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/humaninterest/the-most-iconic-cities/1152728

Jones places Pittsburgh 6th, just missing the cut of the Top 5, and here is his reasoning

"Pittsburgh probably should be among the top five, especially when you consider the first two names on the list, the Pirates' Roberto Clemente and Penguins' Mario Lemieux.

The problem is it's hard to name the ultimate Steeler. If you asked 10 Pittsburghers, you might have 10 answers.

No matter which player you put in there, it would be good enough to get Pittsburgh among the top five of our list. But because we can't definitively name just one football player, we couldn't rank Pittsburgh."

I used the word 'blame' the Steelers in the title as a joke, because the author can't decide whom is the ultimate-Steeler player:
I look at that as a positive, that the team has been so-deep & strong over the years

:helmet:

steelerchad
02-20-2011, 08:21 AM
It is a tough one to call. Since you posted this, I'd say someone convert it to a poll and we'll vote for the ultimate Steeler. You can only choose 1, put the top 10 guys in there. If I had only 1 vote, I'd probably go with Mel Blount. He changed the game.

stb_steeler
02-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Simple....Jack Lambert....no need to vote!....Did you guys see the top 10 steelers on NFL Net?.......That list could of been a 20 list or more .

thumper
02-20-2011, 01:17 PM
NFL Network says Joe Green is the all time, #1 Steeler of all
time, citing that before JG, Pgh was nothing - no identity, nothing
but a loser. After JG, they started the process of being a nasty
D, and eventual champ. I say you really can't pick one, like the
article asserts. And choosing just 10 is as equally as tough. If
Ben had won 45, you'd have to include him on the top 10, but
he didn't.

Right now, Harrison is the figure head I would choose to be on
some kind of list of modern day Steelers. My modern era list.

Harrison
Polamalu
Ward
Lloyd
Woodson
Lake
Bettis
Ben
Hampton
Dirt

PhantomJB93
02-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I would say (in no order)

Ben
Polamalu
Bettis
Woodson
Greene
Bradshaw
Harris
Lambert
Swann
Blount

VERY hard to compile a top ten list across all-time but I think that should be agreeable.

Now the problem is with only one vote...I'd have to choose between Greene and Bradshaw but I'm not sure which I'd go with...

LW56
02-20-2011, 02:56 PM
The writer definately missed the boat on this one.

He mentioned a non-player, Mike Ditka as a Chicago icon, yet he missed the most widely known and most iconic figure in Pittsburgh sports history.....

The Chief...Art Rooney Sr.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1316/27568926.jpg

If you were to ask a Steeler fan who they thought was the most iconic Steelers player, you would get 20 different answers, however, if you were to ask an outsider I bet the answers would be either 4 time SB winning QB and TV analyst Terry Bradshaw, or Mean Joe Greene, star DT and star of the #1 ranked Coke/sports commercial ever....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc0izCGKxP8

SteelerEmpire
02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't know who it would be now. But I know who it "could" be soon...if Ben gets those 5 SB rings before he retires... its a rap...

steelerchad
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
I would say (in no order)

Ben
Polamalu
Bettis
Woodson
Greene
Bradshaw
Harris
Lambert
Swann
Blount

VERY hard to compile a top ten list across all-time but I think that should be agreeable.

Now the problem is with only one vote...I'd have to choose between Greene and Bradshaw but I'm not sure which I'd go with...

You can't have a list of 10 without Stallworth, can you?

PhantomJB93
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
You can't have a list of 10 without Stallworth, can you?

Exactly, its so hard to make one. You can't do a Steelers top ten without leaving off guys who, on any other team's "top ten" would likely still be in the top 5.

Stallworth would definitely be on a 70s's top ten but factoring in the other decades I decided that guys like Ben, Troy, Bettis, and Woodson deserved a spot over him.

TRH
02-20-2011, 06:06 PM
yeah, so what's this guy's point? Its hard for everyone to name a "definitive" Steeler because there were so many great ones....and not only that, they exhumed a "team" attitude, unlike much of the "its-all-about-me-i'm-the-star" athlete that a lot of the teams have or have possessed. For Pittsburgh, that's something to be proud of.

And how could you list Boston and Detroit above New York. The New York Yankees are EASILY the most iconic team of all-time, of any sport. Period, end of discussion.
Me thinks this writer writing in Tampa is a Boston transplant.

steelerohio
02-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Lambert... just ... wow...

bornaSteelersfan
02-22-2011, 04:31 AM
To pick only one, I would have to say Terry Bradshaw. He was as tough as nails, won 4 Super Bowls and MVP in 2 of them. Not only that, he called all the plays on offense. Even Joe Montana had an offensive coordinator. Maybe he didn't get the most yards or passes, but he could throw a rocket down field when needed or rush head-first (sometimes head over heels) to get the first down conversion.

Rick5895
02-22-2011, 05:52 AM
It's impossible to pick just 1 Steeler as the greatest in the franchise. We have had so many great players. I would have to say Blount, Greene, and Lambert (not neccesarily in that order) are the best I have seen play.
Nothing against our current crop of Steelers, they will cement there place in Steelers history but none of these current Steelers will be able to top those guys.