PDA

View Full Version : Btsc: Nnamdi Asomugha Should Be a Pittsburgh Steeler

SteelerEmpire
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Good read... (good discussions below it as well)

Article:

What was theorized by some as early as the opener against Atlanta, and what was confirmed against New England and New Orleans, ultimately proved to be our undoing in the biggest game of the year on the biggest stage there is...

LINK: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/2/20/1956418/nnamdi-asomugha-should-be-a-pittsburgh-steeler

PhantomJB93
02-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I really really doubt it would happen, but at the same time I do think we should at least try to get him instead of taking the normal Steelers approach and acting like big-name free agents don't even exist, even if it means letting Ike go, signing Nnamdi would take our defense to a whole new level.

Fire Arians
02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
i like the idea of us signing him but not if we have to lose ike or anyone else on the defense. if we get rid of ike to sign nmandi we will have the same problem as last year. a weak #2 and #3 corner with no depth at all.

ike isn't on the level of nmandi or revis, BUT he is good enough to cover elite wr's

i like the thought of ike and nmandi on both corners with polamalu roaming the middle. there would be no way we don't win the superbowl if this happened.

gameface75
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
i like the idea of us signing him but not if we have to lose ike or anyone else on the defense. if we get rid of ike to sign nmandi we will have the same problem as last year. a weak #2 and #3 corner with no depth at all.

ike isn't on the level of nmandi or revis, BUT he is good enough to cover elite wr's

i like the thought of ike and nmandi on both corners with polamalu roaming the middle. there would be no way we don't win the superbowl if this happened.

The Steelers need to sign Nmamdi Asoughma sooner than later ,this is a passing league ,our secondary has been exposed to many times by our opponents to let this guy end playing for one of our competitors .Spend the damn money and get a quality cover guy .Let Ike take less money or walk he is not worth a whole lotta drama.

Fire Arians
02-21-2011, 02:51 PM
The Steelers need to sign Nmamdi Asoughma sooner than later ,this is a passing league ,our secondary has been exposed to many times by our opponents to let this guy end playing for one of our competitors .Spend the damn money and get a quality cover guy .Let Ike take less money or walk he is not worth a whole lotta drama.

true but i'm saying if ike walks we're still stuck with a weak #2 corner and that's what kills us. it won't be worth it to sign asomugha if we can't keep ike.

champ bailey could be another option, that might command less money. i'd rather have ike and a solid #2 corner than having a great #1 corner and having toast mcfadden cover the #2 guy.

SoCalFan
02-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Dam I love this thought!Just maybe,being competitive and wanting to win a championship might be enough to sway him!!!Al Davis already payed him enough to take care of generations to come,besides,the Steelers wouldnt be paying him peanuts,maybe a few mil. a year less than another team but dont you think he would rather play for the Steelers for 11 mil. a year over a team like say the Texans for 13???

bornaSteelersfan
02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
We may lose Ike regardless of whether we get Asomugha or not. In fact, if we get Asomugha, wouldn't Ike want to stay and go for another ring? In addition, we don't have any veteran CB's that could teach young CB's anything. Imagine the addition of a respectable CB that can not only help us win, but can also assist in the training of our young CB's. I say fight to get him and also draft a young CB.

thumper
02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I really really doubt it would happen, but at the same time I do think we should at least try to get him instead of taking the normal Steelers approach and acting like big-name free agents don't even exist, even if it means letting Ike go, signing Nnamdi would take our defense to a whole new level.

He is still only one guy. Teams such as GB and NO destroyed
us because they had 4-5 WR who could play. Nnamdi is just
one guy - Rogers could just throw to where ever he isn't. We
need 5-6 really solid DBs. Not 1.

fer522
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
my question to you all is can we afford to sign him
and if so do we cut Smith and Gay and maybe someone else IDK,
but we can't let Taylor go that's for sure

pete74
02-21-2011, 05:06 PM
i would cut Smith if it meant getting him. we had one of the best run stopping defenses last year without smith and all we really need is another good corner to be a complete shutdown defense

fer522
02-21-2011, 05:10 PM
i would cut Smith if it meant getting him. we had one of the best run stopping defenses last year without smith and all we really need is another good corner to be a complete shutdown defense

that's the same way i feel :thumbsup:
but we have to find a way to resign Taylor

theplatypus
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM

We would basically be no better off than we are now. YOu aren't giving Ike anywhere near the credit he deserves. He might not be Asomuga, but's he's still a damn good CB.

Farrior_roirraW
02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
This would be great if it happened... but it never would.

BehindSteelCurtain
02-21-2011, 11:31 PM
We would basically be no better off than we are now. YOu aren't giving Ike anywhere near the credit he deserves. He might not be Asomuga, but's he's still a damn good CB.

Ike is good but not elite.....Imagine putting Aso on #1 AND Ike on #2

theplatypus
02-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Ike is good but not elite.....Imagine putting Aso on #1 AND Ike on #2

That would be great, but that doesn't have anything to do with the post I was responding too. Letting Ike walk just to sign Aso really doesn't help us. We would be a little stronger at #1, but we still would be weak at #2.

ETL
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Pipe dream.

steelerjim58
02-22-2011, 12:52 PM
For me it's easy, would I like to have him on the Steelers, yes. But he simply is not worth the money he would want. Al Davis was crazy to pay him the money he did. Look at the teams that have won the Super Bowl over the last few years. None of them had what would be considered super star corners.

pete74
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
for 8mil a year i would take him. with taylor on one side and him on the other we would be damn near impossible to pass on

steelerchad
02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
for 8mil a year i would take him. with taylor on one side and him on the other we would be damn near impossible to pass on

Add to that the fact that are pass rush would probably get there a little more often as QB's would have their first 2 options blanketed.

Fire Arians
02-22-2011, 02:28 PM
I like the idea, its up to him to decide whether a super bowl ring is worth a 4 million dollar pay cut

steelerohio
02-24-2011, 12:57 AM
if it happens i wouldn't complain