PDA

View Full Version : Ed.B. Of The P-G Interviews Tomlin

Atlanta Dan
02-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Pretty long interview of Tomlin on P-G+ - some excerpts

Q: Do you look at cornerback as a position of need?

A: At this point in the process Iím trying to, more than anything, get a sense of what the class is about, the strengths of the class. No question weíre going to have an interest in corner but I donít know that thereís been a year that Iíve been here that I canít say that.

In other words, right corner has been a problem since 2007

Q. Can Limas Sweed still compete?

A. Ė Certainly, certainly. His competition is getting stiff. I think weíve acquired some guys since weíve acquired him that have proven that theyíre capable of playing NFL football. So from that standpoint, Iím sure itís not a comfortable situation but it is a competition.

Q. Is it now or never for him?

A. Ė I donít live in that world, man. Iím interested in the guys who are capable of helping us win.

I read that to mean Sweed should not be house hunting in Pittsburgh:wave:

Q. Are you optimistic you will have Ike Taylor next season?

A. Iím optimistic about a lot of things. Iím just an optimistic guy.

Meaning I want Ike back but it depends how much Ike wants to get paid

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108220-ed-q-a-a-with-mike-tomlin

tony hipchest
02-21-2011, 06:08 PM
good stuff. i thought this was most revealing and insightful-

So in hindsight, you can say a lot of things in hindsight. To me thatís one of those hindsight examples of things you can point to and take it in whatever direction you want to take it.

:laughing:

also were these nuggets-

he wants flozell back.

a. smith wants to be back.

colon, starks, sweed (and all the injured players are healthy and a go for gamp).

he wants all 4 qb's to return and duke it out (calls it a good problem to have).

admits crezdon and lewis development was probably stunted with lack of opportunities (but that more competition for them will be good- sink or swim). credits hood with having more opportunities and seizing them.

i think the greatest thing for the development of brown and sanders last year, was tomlin being up front with them and having them compete each week for a single hat (round drafted didnt come into play). they did so well they eventually pushed randle el out.

Atlanta Dan
02-21-2011, 06:17 PM
a. smith wants to be back.

A. Smith wants to be back but he may need to take a salary chop to come back in order to free up $$ for signings such as Taylor & Colon

Ravens are cutting Willis McGahee since he is due $6 million next year - Ravens want him back but not at that price - Smith may be facing the same situation

TRH
02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
sounds like ignoring the corner position for so long is about to end....