PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin taking time with coaching vacancy

SteelCityMom
02-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Tomlin taking time with coaching vacancy
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Read more: Tomlin taking time with coaching vacancy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_723991.html#ixzz1EhZd7WBS

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is moving slowly to fill the lone opening he has on his staff.

Tomlin, who said Monday that he expects all but one of his assistants to return for 2011, has not done much more than "research" in regard to the one hire he has to make during the offseason.

Tomlin has to replace defensive backs coach Ray Horton, who left a couple of weeks ago to become the Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator.

"Really, I'm just still in the information-gathering process," Tomlin said yesterday during his first offseason interview. "I'm in no hurry to be honest with you."

A report surfaced last week that Tomlin had formally talked to former Tennessee Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil about Horton's old job.

"I know that that was reported," Tomlin said, "but I have not interviewed Chuck."

The uncertain labor situation may be one reason why Tomlin is taking a deliberate approach to hiring a new defensive backs coach.

The collective bargaining agreement (CBA) ends after March 3, and if the owners lock out the players most NFL business, including offseason workouts and practices, will be put on hold.

"I want to make sure that we hire the right man," Tomlin said, "and that has no timetable."

Tomlin: No regrets on Smith decision

Smith, who missed the Steelers' final 13 games with a partially torn triceps in his left arm, has told Tomlin that he plans on returning for a 13th season.

Smith got hurt last October and the Steelers kept him on their 53-roster with the hope that he might return at some point during the season.

That did not happen but Tomlin said he would "do it again" if presented with the same scenario.

"That's just a level of respect that we have for what he's capable of as a player, and probably equally as important what he is as a man or member of this team," Tomlin said.

Sweed still in Steelers plans?

Tomlin said the Steelers have not given up on wide receiver Limas Sweed, who has seven career receptions and missed last season because of a ruptured Achilles tendon.

The Steelers picked the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Sweed in the second round of the 2008 draft. Since then three other receivers drafted by the Steelers -- Mike Wallace, Sanders and Antonio Brown -- have assumed prominent roles in the passing game.

"His competition is getting stiff," Tomlin said.

When asked if 2011 is a make-or-break season for Sweed, Tomlin said, "I don't live in that world. I'm interested in guys who are capable of helping us win."

pete74
02-22-2011, 10:20 AM
he needs to get someone hired so they can start getting fit in. im sure a new CBA will be signed within the next few weeks. as for Sweed, i seriously doubt he will ever wear a steeler uniform ever again

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
he needs to get someone hired so they can start getting fit in. im sure a new CBA will be signed within the next few weeks. as for Sweed, i seriously doubt he will ever wear a steeler uniform ever again

I think he gets invited to camp but I also cannot imagine he makes the roster - Tomlin pretty much indicated in his latest comments Brown and Sanders have left Sweed behind