PDA

View Full Version : Steelers face decision on Taylor

mesaSteeler
02-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Steelers face decision on Taylor
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_724152.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Steelers have several unrestricted free agents, but cornerback Ike Taylor is likely to attract the most attention from other teams.

A six-year starter, Taylor has never missed a game because of injury. He has started three Super Bowls and is among a handful of corners to have won two Super Bowls as a starter.

The Steelers still control Taylor's rights. They can use the transition tag on Taylor until 12:01 a.m. Friday, when he becomes a full-fledged unrestricted free agent. At that point, Taylor can sign with any team.

Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead.

It's uncertain if franchise tags and transition tags will be part of the next collective bargaining agreement. That could be why the Steelers designated linebacker LaMarr Woodley as their franchise player last week.

Woodley, according to the current CBA which expires after March 3, is a restricted free agent because he is a four-year veteran; four-year players are considered restricted free agents under the current deal.

If the owners try to declare a negotiating impasse to continue operations as usual under the old deal, they'll want to continue normal business. If the owners are successful in achieving that strategy, the union will want to return to the first years of the collective bargaining agreement and not just the final, uncapped year.

"LaMarr, under the current rules, is a restricted free agent. He and Willie are in the same boat," agent Joe Linta, who represents five-year veteran and free-agent tackle Willie Colon, said before the Steelers gave Woodley the franchise tag. "The Steelers still have rights to tender them under the rules of an uncapped year."

Instead of giving Woodley a tender offer which is normally done for restricted free agents, the Steelers gave him a franchise tag.

Woodley and Colon will become unrestricted free agents if the new CBA honors the rules that were in place prior to the uncapped year.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers face decision on Taylor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_724152.html#ixzz1El8htBGK

pete74
02-23-2011, 05:01 AM
we better use the transition tag on Taylor if we cant sign him because without him there is no way we will make the playoffs

btaylor179
02-23-2011, 05:38 AM
hes over rated

steelerchad
02-23-2011, 07:37 AM
hes over rated

I don't agree. I think he may be under rated. He fits our system very well. Big, physical corner who can match up well with other teams #1 wideouts. Sure tackler. Gives up underneath stuff but rarely gets beat. He's not an all pro guy but he's a top 10 corner in my opinion. I'd hate to tag him. I believe transition tags give him the avg. of top 10 salaries at his position. WIth some big CB contracts out there I think that will give Ike a pretty large salary this season. I'd rather lock him up for 4 years and then work on a better option at #2.

gameface75
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
hes over rated

Thank God somebody else sees the light.

gameface75
02-23-2011, 08:16 AM
mghaSteelers face decision on Taylor
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_724152.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Steelers have several unrestricted free agents, but cornerback Ike Taylor is likely to attract the most attention from other teams.

A six-year starter, Taylor has never missed a game because of injury. He has started three Super Bowls and is among a handful of corners to have won two Super Bowls as a starter.

The Steelers still control Taylor's rights. They can use the transition tag on Taylor until 12:01 a.m. Friday, when he becomes a full-fledged unrestricted free agent. At that point, Taylor can sign with any team.

Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 salaries at the position. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead.

It's uncertain if franchise tags and transition tags will be part of the next collective bargaining agreement. That could be why the Steelers designated linebacker LaMarr Woodley as their franchise player last week.

Woodley, according to the current CBA which expires after March 3, is a restricted free agent because he is a four-year veteran; four-year players are considered restricted free agents under the current deal.

If the owners try to declare a negotiating impasse to continue operations as usual under the old deal, they'll want to continue normal business. If the owners are successful in achieving that strategy, the union will want to return to the first years of the collective bargaining agreement and not just the final, uncapped year.

"LaMarr, under the current rules, is a restricted free agent. He and Willie are in the same boat," agent Joe Linta, who represents five-year veteran and free-agent tackle Willie Colon, said before the Steelers gave Woodley the franchise tag. "The Steelers still have rights to tender them under the rules of an uncapped year."

Instead of giving Woodley a tender offer which is normally done for restricted free agents, the Steelers gave him a franchise tag.

Woodley and Colon will become unrestricted free agents if the new CBA honors the rules that were in place prior to the uncapped year.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers face decision on Taylor - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_724152.html#ixzz1El8htBGK

Ike Taylor is not worth a high price tag ,he is slightly above average as a cover corner.I think its time for the Steelers to consider at least talking to Asoumgha,and see what they can work out.The Steelers have all to often settled for low level cast offs ,but this guy is a proven cover guy .With our defense he and the rest of our defense would improve.The Steelers could release a lot non-productive players and use that money for a few better players.

tony hipchest
02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
the raiders just maid richard seymore the highest paid defender in the league. namdi will want more.

its not gonna happen here.

kirklandrules
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
mgha

Ike Taylor is not worth a high price tag ,he is slightly above average as a cover corner.I think its time for the Steelers to consider at least talking to Asoumgha,and see what they can work out.The Steelers have all to often settled for low level cast offs ,but this guy is a proven cover guy .With our defense he and the rest of our defense would improve.The Steelers could release a lot non-productive players and use that money for a few better players.

It's nice to dream, but that will never happen. The Steelers are not going to pay top dollar for a corner at this point. Taylor is good and won't command top dollar. I'm not sure I would use the Transition tag because it would overpay him (he would be paid the average of the top 10 corners and therefore, would be around the 5th or 6th highest paid corners ... he's not in the top 6 IMO).

El Nino
02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
surprised we haven't signed him yet. yeah i wouldn't use the transition tag on him, he's not worth top 5 money. we should pay him what he's worth though, which is around what he's made last year.

we will make the playoffs with or without taylor. with him our secondary still got torched in the sb, and remember, despite 3 turnovers from the OFFENSE, we still had a chance to win this game in the last 2 minutes. Even if we lose taylor, the story of next year's success will be how much the young wr corps have grown up and gelled with ben.

austinfrench76
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
We need Ike. I don't know how anyone could say otherwise?? Who do we start of he isnt with us, McFadden and Gay??!! With Butler, Lewis and Burnett as the 3rd, 4th and 5th DB's? Or, even worse, a rookie somewhere in there? Ike is a great fit in DL's system. I think he would actually be exposed going somewhere else. PLEASE sign IKE!

tony hipchest
02-23-2011, 01:05 PM
surprised we haven't signed him yet. yeah i wouldn't use the transition tag on him, he's not worth top 5 money. we should pay him what he's worth though, which is around what he's made last year.

.if you re-read the article-

Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 salaries at the position.

the franchise tag is top 5 money, and we already used that tag on woodley.

ike is easilly worth top 10 money and if anyone signs him with the transition tag, we get draft pick compensation.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker is engaged in his rankings of the top 40 players in the division - his ranking and summary of Taylor

No. 20: Ike Taylor, cornerback

Team: Pittsburgh Steelers

2010 stats: 66 tackles, two interceptions

Last year's ranking: No. 29

Analysis: With linebacker LaMarr Woodley getting the franchise tag, Taylor is now Pittsburgh's biggest in-house free agent. Pittsburgh's best corner had another good season for the NFL's No. 2-rated defense, but he's also 31. Taylor stays in position and is a solid tackler, but he's not an elite game-changer at the position. Taylor's biggest weakness is his hands, which often prevents him from creating big turnovers. Taylor has 99 career pass defenses and just 11 interceptions in eight seasons. He averages only 1.4 interceptions per year.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=922750

One factor that may help the Steelers keep Taylor is that there may be an impression around the league that LeBeau, the front 7 and Troy cover up a lot of the weaknesses in that secondary which would result in Taylor's weaknesses being exposed on a different defense

A factor that helps Taylor's marketability is that CBs are going off the market - Champ Bailey signed up with Denver yesterday and Ronde Barber signed a one year deal with Tampa today

Steel Peon
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd have to say that 2010 was Ike's best year he's ever had. He'd never been a "shutdown corner" but this year he was close. What's truly amazing was how he lost his usual hands of stone for the whole year, and was actually catching balls. Looking back, it's kinda heat breaking just how many picks he's left on the field over the years.

Either way he just had an outstanding year, and has always been very dependable......I just hope he's not going to cost too much.

The Curtain's Crusader
02-23-2011, 09:43 PM
"The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless it elects to use a franchise tag instead."

I may be reading this wrong, but doesn't this mean that they can NOT use the transition tag on him now since they used the franchise tag on Woodley?

pete74
02-24-2011, 04:05 AM
no, they can still use the transition tag as well as the franchise tag as of 2010 season. infact they can use 2 transition tags if they want. the downfall with the transition tag is it only gives us the chance to match any offer but if we done we get no compensation. another team who wants to overpay taylor can still sweep him away and we will get nothing in return