PDA

View Full Version : Something that seems unnoticed here

thumper
02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Everyone is assuming our DBs are bad. I don't disagree
that we should draft a CB or two. BUT...

The following seems to be ignored.

1.) Gay is a good slot CB. He is fine. When he struggles
it's when he was forced to play out of position on the outside.
Had he not been forced to play on the outside, we would be
signing his praises not condemning him as sucking. If we
keep our 1 & 2 CBs healthy, Gay is a positive for this team,
not a negative. He is fine.

2.) The reason Gay kept having to play outside is because
McFadden was hurt most of the year. He had both hip and
ab injuries. What could be worse for a CB than those? Are
you kidding? Try to back peddle and switch to running forward
while doing it on a bad hip. Nearly impossible. He kept trying
to grunt it out and kept having to be taken out of the game.
A healthy B-Mac is a good CB. He has been solid his entire
career. Not an "elite" CB but not a bad one either. Get him
healthy and not only will he be fine, but so will Gay, who
will be allowed to play in the slot.

3.) Polamalu may have been on the field down the stretch
and in the play offs, but he wasn't right. He was a shadow
of himself. If he completely heals from his Achilles he will
be a difference maker again. He was not his "difference maker"
self in the Super Bowl. Had he been, we could have easily
had won. He was simply not near 100%

Considering the above, Pgh might not need as much help in
the backfield as most of us are assuming. If we lose Ike, then,
yes, it would be a bigger concern, but not the end of the world.
Butler may be ready to contribute in 2011. And we will spend
a high pick on a CB.

That is all.

Fire Arians
02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
good points. we are solid when healthy but because a couple of injuries made our pass D fall apart, that just shows that db depth is a major issue. that can be fixed with the combination of lewis/butler stepping up and drafting a couple quality cb's. this year's draft class is deep when it comes to corners, we need to capitalize on it.

i also have been saying gay isn't a bad nickel corner. as a #2 he's not though. we need someone to step up and take the #2 spot, and i think it needs to be someone better than b-mac

butler and lewis, their opportunity to crack the starting lineup is now so they better come into training camp with their game faces on.

pete74
02-23-2011, 05:54 PM
i think troy was healthy and only got taken out of the game because he had to play deep

Fire Arians
02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
and to add to my post, we need a #4 corner to combat today's modern passing attacks. anthony madison should never see the field if it's not on special teams.

Dino 6 Rings
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Everyone is assuming our DBs are bad. I don't disagree
that we should draft a CB or two. BUT...

The following seems to be ignored.

1.) Gay is a good slot CB. He is fine. When he struggles
it's when he was forced to play out of position on the outside.
Had he not been forced to play on the outside, we would be
signing his praises not condemning him as sucking. If we
keep our 1 & 2 CBs healthy, Gay is a positive for this team,
not a negative. He is fine.

2.) The reason Gay kept having to play outside is because
McFadden was hurt most of the year. He had both hip and
ab injuries. What could be worse for a CB than those? Are
you kidding? Try to back peddle and switch to running forward
while doing it on a bad hip. Nearly impossible. He kept trying
to grunt it out and kept having to be taken out of the game.
A healthy B-Mac is a good CB. He has been solid his entire
career. Not an "elite" CB but not a bad one either. Get him
healthy and not only will he be fine, but so will Gay, who
will be allowed to play in the slot.

3.) Polamalu may have been on the field down the stretch
and in the play offs, but he wasn't right. He was a shadow
of himself. If he completely heals from his Achilles he will
be a difference maker again. He was not his "difference maker"
self in the Super Bowl. Had he been, we could have easily
had won. He was simply not near 100%

Considering the above, Pgh might not need as much help in
the backfield as most of us are assuming. If we lose Ike, then,
yes, it would be a bigger concern, but not the end of the world.
Butler may be ready to contribute in 2011. And we will spend
a high pick on a CB.

That is all.

Some good points, the only problem is I don't think Gay can actually cover a TE, he cant' out muscle or jump the TE, he was exposed in the NE Game at the nickle position by the Tight End. He does great as the 3rd CB when he's on the slot, but not when he's on a TE. Horrible.

McFadden let me down big time this year. He was supposed to be an upgrade over having Gay as the #2, and he didn't get it done. Bottom line he was a really weak link on the outside. Ike is Ike, he's gonna deflect a ton of balls, maybe catch one for an INT at some point, maybe, but he's not gonna get us killed in a game.

Both Gay and McFadden got us Killed, and with Troy's injury, we were also beaten a few times deep when Safeties, both Troy and Clark didn't get into the right position.

We had some secondary issues, no doubt. Quick fix in the 1st round? I highly Doubt that is possible.

thumper
02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
i also have been saying gay isn't a bad nickel corner. as a #2 he's not though. we need someone to step up and take the #2 spot, and i think it needs to be someone better than b-mac

butler and lewis, their opportunity to crack the starting lineup is now so they better come into training camp with their game faces on.

But I repeat: B Mac has been solid his entire career and
he is not old. The hip and ab injuries must have been
a factor. How do you cover elite world class athletes
with a bad hip and abs?

He kept on having to leave games after he tried to play
with those injuries - many, many games.

thumper
02-23-2011, 06:10 PM
and to add to my post, we need a #4 corner to combat today's modern passing attacks. anthony madison should never see the field if it's not on special teams.

:thumbsup:

Fire Arians
02-23-2011, 06:10 PM
But I repeat: B Mac has been solid his entire career and
he is not old. The hip and ab injuries must have been
a factor. How do you cover elite world class athletes
with a bad hip and abs?

He kept on having to leave games after he tried to play
with those injuries - many, many games.

well we still need adequate replacements. if he goes down again and we have no good backup plan, then the same thing will happen again.

b-mac isn't a terrible #2, but an upgrade to that position would make me tons more confident in a 7th world title.

with the cb depth available in this draft, I think we should take advantage of it.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree with all your points. Gay is as good as they come for nickelbacks. And the trio of Taylor, (healthy) BMac, and Gay is as good as it gets (imo). And yes Polamalu did ZERO during the playoffs. Have to think injuries played some part.

thumper
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Some good points, the only problem is I don't think Gay can actually cover a TE, he cant' out muscle or jump the TE, he was exposed in the NE Game at the nickle position by the Tight End. He does great as the 3rd CB when he's on the slot, but not when he's on a TE. Horrible.

McFadden let me down big time this year. He was supposed to be an upgrade over having Gay as the #2, and he didn't get it done. Bottom line he was a really weak link on the outside. Ike is Ike, he's gonna deflect a ton of balls, maybe catch one for an INT at some point, maybe, but he's not gonna get us killed in a game.

Both Gay and McFadden got us Killed, and with Troy's injury, we were also beaten a few times deep when Safeties, both Troy and Clark didn't get into the right position.

We had some secondary issues, no doubt. Quick fix in the 1st round? I highly Doubt that is possible.

I repeat: B Mac was hurt most of the year

thumper
02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I agree with all your points. Gay is as good as they come for nickelbacks. And the trio of Taylor, (healthy) BMac, and Gay is as good as it gets (imo). And yes Polamalu did ZERO during the playoffs. Have to think injuries played some part.

TP had a partially torn Achilles. That ain't no tea party
with little dolls around the little table. He was out there
more as a decoy than he was offering actual good play.
He only went into "hyper gear" a few times a game,
and even then it was fruitless. It was a shell of his
real play.

I know football includes having to over come injuries,
but sometimes they collectively become too much. I
believe injuries made our backfield look way worse
than it truly is, with mere relative health. The staff
obviously will know this better than we will. They
won't overreact. But regardless, they need to draft
at least 1 decent CB prospect.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM

B-Mac was torched in the playoffs with Arizona and the Cardinals let him go for the draft pick the Steelers received from the Jets - his problems seem to extend beyond injuries late in 2010

Steelers are not sharing what Troy's situation was - I do not buy into the theory he was playing deep in the playoffs to cover for problems on pass defense - but the concern is he now has played through a complete season 1 of the past 5 seasons (2008) - when he is healthy Troy is still great but that is a hit or miss proposition

I agree with Ed. B. of the P-G the secondary needs a major infusion of quality draft picks

The Steelers have ignored their secondary far too long. Itís imperative they stock it with some good, young talent this year.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108263-ed-steelers-need-to-corner-the-market

mesaSteeler
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
B-Mac was torched in the playoffs with Arizona and the Cardinals let him go for the draft pick the Steelers received from the Jets - his problems seem to extend beyond injuries late in 2010

Steelers are not sharing what Troy's situation was - I do not buy into the theory he was playing deep in the playoffs to cover for problems on pass defense - but the concern is he now has played through a complete season 1 of the past 5 seasons (2008) - when he is healthy Troy is still great but that is a hit or miss proposition

I agree with Ed. B. of the P-G the secondary needs a major infusion of quality draft picks

The Steelers have ignored their secondary far too long. Itís imperative they stock it with some good, young talent this year.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108263-ed-steelers-need-to-corner-the-market

I completely agree as well. I hope we take two DBs with our first three picks. After all we've done it with linebackers.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM

Beat me to it, Atlanta.

I don't know how anybody could be saying Gay and McFadden aren't that bad. I hate to differ, but....

Gay could not even cover a ROOKIE TIGHT END. Repeat that to yourself a couple more times.....he is not good at CB at all, not in the slot, not as a #2CB.

McFadden was not injured in Arizona in 2009, but he stunk there, and he brought the stench back to the Burgh with him.

They aren't that bad? Did you notice how EVERY elite QB we faced this year threw the ball somewhere around 75% of the time, right at whomever Gay and McFadden were covering? Did you notice how that usually results in at least 15 yards and a first down whenever they do that?

PhantomJB93
02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
While Mcfadden's injuries certainly worsened his play, his play was still quite horrible all year even before the injuries. Let's not forget in 2008 when he was bad enough that we began rotating him with Gay and eventually let him go at the end of the season. While his cover skills are certainly better that Gay's they have still been shown time and time again to not be adequate enough to depend upon as a number 2 corner, whether he is injured or not.

Gay is a bit more unusual.. He is VERY valuable in blitzing packages and Lebeau can use him in creative ways, so I see him, despite his horrid covering ability, as a more versatile and athletic linebacker. I think we need to stop using him as a nickel, but I have no problem using him in dime packages if we have 3 other dependable corners who can cover (Ike, maybe Butler, and a FA and/or rookie?).

I honestly think Polamalu's lack of awesomeness was because he had to stick to pure coverage nearly all the time because he couldn't trust Mcfadden and Gay to hold their own against the deep receiving corps of GB, NY, and Baltimore. He was not freelancing and taking chances like he usually does. It could have been a nagging injury as well but he looked fine against Cleveland the last week of the season and as far as I could tell he didn't reinjure himself *visibly* there...

The problem IS the DB personnel, not that "Lebeau can't beat the spread offense." While I am not a fan of how far Lebeau plays his CBs off of the line, there are enough blown coverages by Mcfadden and Gay to show that is not entirely the problem. We NEED to make some improvements at CB if we want to make a run next year, at the very least draft one early but I wouldn't feel comfortable unless Ike is resigned, a *decent* free agent is brought in, AND a rookie is drafted in the first 2 rounds. Mcfadden healthy or not healthy is not going to get the job done and Gay can play well as a nickel but shouldn't in any way be depended on in coverage.

ggoldman
02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Crezdon Butler has the speed, and he could make that second year jump like Ziggy Hood did with more opportunities thrown his way

steeltheone
02-23-2011, 09:36 PM
We get no pressure in the middle without blitzing. Ziggy gets some. Kiesel, Hampton, Smith and Farrior are good run defenders but just to slow for a pass rush

Rick5895
02-24-2011, 04:50 AM
While Mcfadden's injuries certainly worsened his play, his play was still quite horrible all year even before the injuries. Let's not forget in 2008 when he was bad enough that we began rotating him with Gay and eventually let him go at the end of the season. While his cover skills are certainly better that Gay's they have still been shown time and time again to not be adequate enough to depend upon as a number 2 corner, whether he is injured or not.

Gay is a bit more unusual.. He is VERY valuable in blitzing packages and Lebeau can use him in creative ways, so I see him, despite his horrid covering ability, as a more versatile and athletic linebacker. I think we need to stop using him as a nickel, but I have no problem using him in dime packages if we have 3 other dependable corners who can cover (Ike, maybe Butler, and a FA and/or rookie?).

I honestly think Polamalu's lack of awesomeness was because he had to stick to pure coverage nearly all the time because he couldn't trust Mcfadden and Gay to hold their own against the deep receiving corps of GB, NY, and Baltimore. He was not freelancing and taking chances like he usually does. It could have been a nagging injury as well but he looked fine against Cleveland the last week of the season and as far as I could tell he didn't reinjure himself *visibly* there...

The problem IS the DB personnel, not that "Lebeau can't beat the spread offense." While I am not a fan of how far Lebeau plays his CBs off of the line, there are enough blown coverages by Mcfadden and Gay to show that is not entirely the problem. We NEED to make some improvements at CB if we want to make a run next year, at the very least draft one early but I wouldn't feel comfortable unless Ike is resigned, a *decent* free agent is brought in, AND a rookie is drafted in the first 2 rounds. Mcfadden healthy or not healthy is not going to get the job done and Gay can play well as a nickel but shouldn't in any way be depended on in coverage.

We have no depth at DB, Lewis has been a disappointment. I am hopeful Butler can turn into the next IKE.
Ike plays press coverage from time to time, but he has the speed and physicality to do that. Perhaps Lebeau plays his other CB's off the line because they have difficulty with press coverage. Sometimes how a team plays is predicated on the talent that is there , which could account for Lebeau having CB ff the line.

thumper
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

I agree we need to draft CBs. I already stated that in my
org. post. But I will not assume B Mac sucks. I didn't follow
him enough when he was AZ to have an opinion on how
he played there, but there was talk his skills didn't fit their
system there (Although that sounds fishy, b/c you would
think CB cover or they do not. I guess there is a difference
between man-to-man and zone, but covering is covering,
is it not?)

B Mac was solid as a Steeler. So what happened when he
left for AZ? He's not old. Did he take some "suck pills" and
he now sucks from now on? Did he sustain some career
ruining injury we never heard of? Until I see a healthy B Mac
sucking, I will hold out that he can be solid again when he
heals up.

And as far as Gay being torched by large TEs? What 5' 8"
CB doesn't? It's called "match ups" and coaches seek to
create ones in their favor. If you see the D is going to try
to cover your 6' 4" TE with a little CB, you throw the ball to
him. That is hardly an indictment proving Gay sucks. What?
Do you guys think every 3rd CB in the NFL can cover 6' 4"
TEs? Really? It's like when NE finds ways to try to make
our LBs cover WRs and they can't do it. Do our LBs suck
b/c of it?

B Mac should be fine. Gay is a solid slot CB. And if Troy
can come back from his Achilles, our secondary will be
fine, and, yes, we should still draft a CB or two.

Dino 6 Rings
02-24-2011, 01:37 PM

yeah but was he hurt last year? Cause he was bad in Arizona from all reports, and during the Pre-game of the SB, I'm pretty sure I heard one of the talking heads mention that Rodgers was going to target McFadden because he had a ton of success going against him in the playoffs the previous season. That he saw D-Mac as the weaker link, injured or not.

steelax04
02-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, we're going to have to draft CBs now... Al Davis just raised the prices, again.

From Twitter:

@espnafc_north
James Walker
Wow. #Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt gets $31.5 million over 3 years, according to ESPN’s John Clayton.

ESPN article about it
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6154940

thumper
02-24-2011, 03:39 PM
yeah but was he hurt last year? Cause he was bad in Arizona from all reports, and during the Pre-game of the SB, I'm pretty sure I heard one of the talking heads mention that Rodgers was going to target McFadden because he had a ton of success going against him in the playoffs the previous season. That he saw D-Mac as the weaker link, injured or not.

Like I said, I don't know about his year in AZ other than they said
the system didn't bode well for him. How much truth there was
to that, I have no idea. But I do know there were several games
where he tried to play this year and had to come out of the game,
meaning he kept re-injuring his hips/abs. That tells me he just
wasn't right, so I am not concluding that he sucks from this
year. Why would a proven solid CB, who is not that old, all
of a sudden just suck? Does that make sense? Prior to going
to AZ he was tight on his man, every play he was thrown on - some
were completed, some were not, but he was always right there,
playing tight, regardless.

We will just have to see what happens. Maybe he has a chronic
hip injury that won't ever get better and that would explain his
poor year in AZ as well. Who knows? But you know they keep
news of injuries as secret as possible. We just don't know. But
we do know Pgh will lie their asses off as much as possible.
Remember when they claimed Ben's nose wasn't broken, that
it was just bleeding? That was like the Pope trying to say he
doesn't wear funny hats. And they kept referring to Troy's injury
as only a "leg injury" not wanting to admit it was his Achilles?

clevestinks
02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
We have no depth at DB, Lewis has been a disappointment. I am hopeful Butler can turn into the next IKE.
Ike plays press coverage from time to time, but he has the speed and physicality to do that. Perhaps Lebeau plays his other CB's off the line because they have difficulty with press coverage. Sometimes how a team plays is predicated on the talent that is there , which could account for Lebeau having CB ff the line.

No depth? Couldnt agree more, and it scares me. I use to think Ike was overrated, but the way Troy plays all over the place, Ike doesnt always have deep support, so I give him alot more credit.

I do not like Gay, at any position. Troy did not seem himself, the last few weeks, but neither did Ben the last two games

Atlanta Dan
02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
But I will not assume B Mac sucks.

Until I see a healthy B Mac sucking, I will hold out that he can be solid again when he
heals up.

B Mac should be fine. .

Gerry Dulac of the P-G appears to disagree based on these comments in his February 25 P-G+ chat

Who for certain is not back - Fox? Randle El? McFadden?

Gerry Dulac: Keyaron Fox is all but a certainty. Randle El might not be far behind. McFadden should be, but won't.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/gerry-dulac-chat/108321-gerry-dulacs-steelers-chat-transcript-from-the-nfl-scouting-combine-in-indianapolis

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Like I said, I don't know about his year in AZ other than they said
the system didn't bode well for him. How much truth there was
to that, I have no idea.

Then why are you still commenting on this if you admittedly are lacking in key facts that either support or squash your argument? You have come to a gunfight with an unloaded weapon.....

But I do know there were several games
where he tried to play this year and had to come out of the game,
meaning he kept re-injuring his hips/abs. That tells me he just
wasn't right, so I am not concluding that he sucks from this
year. Why would a proven solid CB, who is not that old, all
of a sudden just suck?

The point is completely moot-- the fact remains he HAS SUCKED for two seasons now. If he is injured, then we still need to replace him with someone who can actually cover a rookie tight end.

Does that make sense?

Not in the least bit.

Prior to going
to AZ he was tight on his man, every play he was thrown on - some
were completed, some were not, but he was always right there,
playing tight, regardless.

You must be a new Steelers fan (like as in 2008 onward-- you don't seem to recall anything before that season)-- we have all been complaining about the soft pass coverage since around 2001......and the soft coverage is a product of having CBs that lack the talent to be able to play tighter, press coverage without getting burned deep for 40 yd TDs.

I recall something totally different. I recall that McFadden was usually the slot CB with Ike and Deshea as the #1 and #2 CBs (like in SB XL). He would occaisionally switch places with Deshea (as Deshea's bones were getting old), but was primarily a slot/nickel back.

2008 was his ONLY good year as the #2 CB. He stunk it up in Arizona to epic proportions in 2009 (I believe he was the most targetted CB in the NFL last year, and gave up one of the highest completion percentages in the league as well), and they gave him back to us, and he stunk it up with us this year as a #2 CB.

We will just have to see what happens. Maybe he has a chronic
hip injury that won't ever get better and that would explain his
poor year in AZ as well. Who knows? But you know they keep
news of injuries as secret as possible. We just don't know. But
we do know Pgh will lie their asses off as much as possible.
Remember when they claimed Ben's nose wasn't broken, that
it was just bleeding? That was like the Pope trying to say he
doesn't wear funny hats. And they kept referring to Troy's injury
as only a "leg injury" not wanting to admit it was his Achilles?

Either way, it = NEED MORE QUALITY CORNERBACKS. McFadden and Gay DO NOT cut it, at all.

tony hipchest
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
mcfadden was injured late last year and then again this year. theres been a ton of articles how he admits he mighta coulda shut it down last year but tried to fight through it for his team.

clevestinks
02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
I hope McFadden will be alright, I was bummed when he went to Arizona. Im still worried about our safeties getting old, and Troy not getting through a full season. I would love to get a bigtime safety.

But we dont have to draft one, two of our most solid players over the past six years and all three superbowl, were free agents, Clarke and Farrior, So we will have to see

Fire Arians
02-25-2011, 07:53 PM
cut randle el, battle, and smith

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Sorry about that, THUMPER, me previous post came off a bit strong, after going back and re-reading it. I was not trying to be argumentative or anything....I just don't know how anybody could be defending Gay or McFadden's play.

I won't ever bag on the guys too hard-- I am sure they play CB a hell of a lot better than I could, but as a fan-- they are NOT good for our team. They are both GREAT at run support, but cannot cover my grandmother. Just my honest opinion....nothing more.

Steeldude
02-26-2011, 03:59 AM
A healthy B-Mac is a good CB.

he wasn't good when he was here before. the guy is an average CB on his best days. on was jumping for joy when he went to AZ. just as i was jumping for joy when foote went to detroit. now they are both back and costing more money.

Fire Arians
02-26-2011, 04:38 AM
he wasn't good when he was here before. the guy is an average CB on his best days. on was jumping for joy when he went to AZ. just as i was jumping for joy when foote went to detroit. now they are both back and costing more money.

thinking abou it, you're prolly right. he was healthy in the beginning of the season and got abused by roddy white in game 1.

ggoldman
02-26-2011, 04:38 AM

He was good enough to start on the leagues best pass defense in 08. But hes too slow now, and cant break on the ball quickly enough

austinfrench76
02-26-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree with most of whats being said about Gay and Bmac being average. I think we make Gay AND Bmac the 3rd and 4th CB's next year and start Butler. Absolutely no scientific reasoning just need some talent infusion. Draft a CB with 2 of the 1st 3 picks and call it a day.

Oh, And I keep reading about Gay getting beat in the NE game by a rookie TE and he did BUT one of those passes was NOT DEFENSIBLE!!!! Watch it the game. Fag-dy through a perfect pass to Gronkowski.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-26-2011, 05:17 PM
He was good enough to start on the leagues best pass defense in 08. But hes too slow now, and cant break on the ball quickly enough

Yeah, am not too sure what has changed since 2008 either. But to be honest then, McFadden has had one good year (he only started 9 of those games before Gay had to take over due to injury), and all the rest have been mediocre to descent. Maybe whatever injury he suffered during the 2008 season had some lingering effects?

Maybe Dr. Rydze's HGH? That 2008 defense was heads above anything we have fielded since then....those same players are not playing at the same level at all.
*ducks flying projectiles*

Sorry....bad joke.

BehindSteelCurtain
02-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Why not be deep at CB?

thumper
02-27-2011, 12:41 PM
thinking abou it, you're prolly right. he was healthy in the beginning of the season and got abused by roddy white in game 1.

White is an All Pro. He does that to almost everyone. That is
no indictment on coverage. Plus, he didn't get TOO abused; we
still won the game you know. White had 13 receptions for
111 yards and ZERO TDs. That's not such a bad job
considering White is an All Pro.

thumper
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Yeah, am not too sure what has changed since 2008 either. But to be honest then, McFadden has had one good year (he only started 9 of those games before Gay had to take over due to injury), and all the rest have been mediocre to descent. Maybe whatever injury he suffered during the 2008 season had some lingering effects?

Maybe Dr. Rydze's HGH? That 2008 defense was heads above anything we have fielded since then....those same players are not playing at the same level at all.
*ducks flying projectiles*

Sorry....bad joke.

Could have a chronic hip. That would explain everything. And you
know teams, and Pgh in particular, never tip their hand when it
comes to being honest about injuries.

thumper
02-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Then why are you still commenting on this if you admittedly are lacking in key facts that either support or squash your argument?

Maybe because it's a ****ING MESSAGE BOARD and that is THE
place where you chat using theories and predictions. This isn't a
****ing court of law. I am sure I don't even need to bother to read
your past posts to discover you make assertions that are not fully
backed with facts and only facts. Do you even understand the concept
of an Internet message board? Or do you think it is like pure science
where only facts are allowed to be brought up? WOW. I think I have
seen it all.

You have come to a gunfight with an unloaded weapon.....

Umm, you've come to a message board with a science lab.

The point is completely moot-- the fact remains he HAS SUCKED for two seasons now. If he is injured, then we still need to replace him with someone who can actually cover a rookie tight end.

Yea, because we all know that no CB could ever be beat by a rookie
TE when being schemed and executed by Belichick and Tom Brady.
Any CB who gets burnt by a TE that has 4" on him, when playing
the Pats must be horrible. That's all the proof we need. That's iron
clad evidence right there. Would you like a lollipop with your coo coo
bird clock?

You must be a new Steelers fan (like as in 2008 onward-- you don't seem to recall anything before that season)-- we have all been complaining about the soft pass coverage since around 2001......and the soft coverage is a product of having CBs that lack the talent to be able to play tighter, press coverage without getting burned deep for 40 yd TDs.

Boy, I am glad you are omnipotent to be able to read minds and
make conclusions on incomplete data. DL has been putting
our DBs 8 yards off the WR forever. He didn't just start it when BM
came to the team. You sure are funny. By the way, I was a season
ticket holder when you were still getting your ass wiped by mom.

I recall something totally different. I recall that McFadden was usually the slot CB with Ike and Deshea as the #1 and #2 CBs (like in SB XL). He would occaisionally switch places with Deshea (as Deshea's bones were getting old), but was primarily a slot/nickel back.

Do you have a point?

No one is arguing that we need to draft a CB. Why do some of
you gnash your teeth and howl at the moon over straw man
arguments that never were made to begin with. Bizarre.

thumper
02-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Why not be deep at CB?

Only because it will mean being thin elsewhere. Should we
skimp on the OL? Well, no problem, because we have been
since 2006

PhantomJB93
02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Only because it will mean being thin elsewhere. Should we
skimp on the OL? Well, no problem, because we have been
since 2006

Well we've been skimping on the DBs too and I'd say we've lost more games because of our CB depth than because of our Oline...

NYC_Steeler
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
No one can convince me that BMac and Gay re good defenders - they suck, period. They're either out of position or too far away from the receiver - this has happened over and over again. There's a reason why BMac was cut by the Cardinals and everyone in the NFL saw why. As for Gay, what can be said? He's a good blitzer, but he gets schooled in the secondary.

We have no depth in the secondary, and it's costing us. Over and over again.

thumper
02-27-2011, 02:00 PM
No one can convince me that BMac and Gay re good defenders - they suck, period. They're either out of position or too far away from the receiver - this has happened over and over again. There's a reason why BMac was cut by the Cardinals and everyone in the NFL saw why. As for Gay, what can be said? He's a good blitzer, but he gets schooled in the secondary.

We have no depth in the secondary, and it's costing us. Over and over again.

Gay is a slot CB who was forced to play outside, which is not his position.
When he is playing in the slot, he is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL.

BMac was hurt all year.