PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon's agent says Steelers tackle is unlikely to return

mesaSteeler
02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Willie Colon's agent says Steelers tackle is unlikely to return
02:40 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/nfl-steelers-willie-colon-free-agent/1
By Arin Karimian, USA TODAY

Right tackle Willie Colon missed all of last season's run to Super Bowl XLV by the Steelers with a torn Achilles tendon. Now, it looks like the free agent might have played his last game for Pittsburgh.

Colon's agent, Joe Linta, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that there's little chance of his client returning to the Steelers. Bouchette is convinced that the Steelers are ready to move on.

On the Steelers attempting to sign Colon, Bouchette said, "I believe they will make a half-hearted attempt."

"I'm trusting what his agent is telling me. ... I also think if the Steelers really valued him, they would have tried to sign him to a long-term deal last year," said Bouchette.

Colon turns 28 this offseason and has spent his entire five-year career with the Steelers since they drafted him in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL draft. He played in only two games as a rookie, but started every game for Pittsburgh from 2007-09.

Colon is close with QB Ben Roethlisberger and was with the signal caller on the night he was alleged to have committed a sexual assault in Milledgeville, Ga., last offseason. Bouchette dismisses any notion that the Steelers don't want Colon back because of what happened with Roethlisberger.

"Just because Colon was in the same place does not mean he was a bad influence," said Bouchette.

"The Steelers declined to talk to Colon's agent on a new contract long before Milledgeville happened."

Besides Colon, the Steelers have begun working on some other player personnel matters. Pittsburgh designated LB LaMarr Woodley as its franchise player last week. Woodley signed his franchise tender Wednesday, guaranteeing he'll be paid roughly $10 million next season if he isn't signed to a long-term deal.

Cornerback Ike Taylor is the other key free agent for the Steelers, and he could be given the transition tag. Such a designation gives the Steelers the right to match any offer sheet Taylor signs with another team.

See photos of: Pittsburgh Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger, Super Bowl XLV

mesaSteeler
02-23-2011, 05:54 PM
Could Colon wind up on Patriots' radar?
http://www.necn.com/02/23/11/Could-Colon-wind-up-on-Patriots-radar/landing_sports.html?blockID=416339&feedID=3352
February 23, 2011, 1:39 pm

By Tom E. Curran
CSNNE.com

INDIANAPOLIS - Before Maurkice Pouncey rolled into Pittsburgh, the Steelers' most consistent offensive lineman was right tackle Willie Colon.

A fourth-round pick in 2006, Colon is going to be a free agent when the 2011 class hits the market. And his agent, Joe Linta, has told Pittsburgh media that he doesn't expect the 28-year-old to be in the Steelers' future plans. (Wink-nod to PFT for finding it first.)

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Colon has "little chance of returning to the Steelers."

Colon, who'll be 28 when next season begins (presumably), suffered an Achilles tear in June 2010 and missed the season. At 6-3, 315, Colon's a terrific run blocker and an underrated pass blocker. There's been steady debate about whether he should be moved to guard because of his size but the Steelers never did it.

In the case of the Patriots, Colon would give them a ton of flexibility. They could put him at right tackle, kick Sebastian Vollmer to left tackle and not re-sign Matt Light. They could have Colon as Stephen Neal insurance at right tackle or just outright replace Neal with Colon since Neal can't make it through a season anymore because of injury.

Linta is a highly respected agent when it comes to offensive linemen and the Patriots have gone to him often in the past decade to provide capable players. Of course, Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff also have the Linta link, so there may be a sizable market if the Steelers do indeed pass on re-signing him.

When doing your Willie Colon (pronounced "cologne," not like the anatomical "colon") research, remember, it's not this Willie Colon. It's this one.

UPDATE

After kicking over a few more rocks, the likelihood of Colon coming to New England probably hinges quite a bit on the Logan Mankins situation, a source told me. The Patriots are loathe to have to big-ticket offensive linemen on their roster and Colon is hoping to have a ticket that is at least medium-sized. Still, the sense of it on paper means it bears watching.

Tom E. Curran can be reached at tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Tom on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tomecurran

Fire Arians
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
i hope colon can return. didn't mankins sign a new contract with new england? I thought i heard something about that a while ago.

Dino 6 Rings
02-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Does this mean we are going to look at getting 1 more year out of Adams? Or did we cut ties with him and I just missed it?

pete74
02-23-2011, 06:02 PM
yea adams will return for 1 more year

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
i hope colon can return. didn't mankins sign a new contract with new england? I thought i heard something about that a while ago.

Mankins got the franchise tag

Good to see USA Today "reporting" consists of cut and pastes of Ed. B. from PG+ - maybe I should offer to be their stringer for reporting on the Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Willie Colon Ain’t Comin’ Back to the Burgh (or Is He?)
Posted on February 23, 2011 by ryan
Steelers Lounge
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/02/willie-colon-comin-burgh/

After yesterday’s post on the prospects of Willie Colon moving to guard, I starting thinking. Assuming that we were all transported to a magical place where this could actually happen (in this land, Ike can catch), I was all set to write today about what such a shuffling along the o-line would mean for the Steelers’ draft plans.

Specifically: would a starting lineup of Max, Kemoeatu, Maurkice, Colon and Flozell (and, for shiggles, let’s say the Steelers also re-signed Trai and Jonathan Scott) mitigate the need for drafting an offensive lineman in April? (Obligatorily ducks because I know you just threw something at your screen upon reading that last sentence. Fair enough but hear me out…)

I only bring it because the names mentioned above, along with Dougie Legursky and Ramon Foster, give the Steelers nine offensive linemen. Draft a guy in the first three or four rounds, and you expect him to make the final 53. Not sure where he’d fit in, although there’s always the possibility that Essex or Scott (or both) don’t return to Pittsburgh.

All else equal, I’d lean towards getting younger along the o-line through the draft and jettisoning Essex … and if necessary, whoever grades out as the worst lineman among the names remaining. The danger is that, like the 2010 season, there could be a run on injuries and a rookie would be forced into the lineup. I would say it’s unlikely, but the laws of probability don’t seem to apply to the Steelers. I saw things in 2010 that I could have never, ever imagined (Tony Hills at guard! Ramon Foster at tackle!).

But there is a problem with all of that. As I pointed out yesterday, why the hell would Colon want guard money when he’s an NFL tackle? Second, Eddie Bouchette writes that there is “little chance” Colon will be with the Steelers next season. This assumes that the league and the players’ union avoids impending labor doom, because there are scenarios where Colon might not have a choice on his 2011 whereabouts.

PFT‘s Gregg Rosenthal wonders if that’s just Colon’s agent working from the assumption that the Steelers won’t pay his client what he wants. Seems plausible. And while I’d love to have Colon back (it would be nice, for once, to be able to say “Yeah, the offensive line isn’t the team’s biggest issue heading into training camp.”), I was never convinced that he was anything more than an average to above-average tackle. Yes, there was talk about him being one of the league’s best right tackles before blowing up his knee, but you don’t have to be JJ Cooper to see that that was a stretch.

Yes, Colon would help the Steelers next season, but it wouldn’t take me long to get over the loss if the team decided to move on. Which brings us full circle, in terms of the draft. If Colon leaves, Pittsburgh will again be in the market for an offensive lineman. We know what the current cast of characters can do, and even if Flozell is a year older, it’s not like losing a step will suddenly cripple his game. It wouldn’t be much of a stretch to see him playing right tackle in a wheelchair. In fact, it might actually increase his mobility. But he’s a stopgap. Youth and depth are at the top of the to-do list if Colon bolts.

I’m guessing you saw my “CB or OL?” post from last week (not sure how you could have missed it; I mention it every chance I get). In the comments, tequila0341 links to Mike Mayock’s full take on the Steelers draft needs, specifically the possible lack of cornerback depth at the end of the first round.

During a conference call, Mayock, speaking generally, said that “If you’re looking for a cornerback at the end of the first round, you might have a problem.” But added:

Remember, these are my preferences. Pittsburgh might like the kid from Texas. They might like the kid from Miami. I happen to think the kid from Miami to me is a second or third round corner. He’s not a first round corner.

Aaron Williams, I think would be interesting to them. He’ll tackle. He’s kind of a physical guy, bigger corner. He might be the guy that they look at. If it’s not corner, then I think it has to be offensive line.

I thought they did a great job keeping it together with all the injuries they’ve had this year. But they’ve got to go get one of those big tackles that I’ve already mentioned or get one of those inside guys. One way or another, they’ve got to upgrade the athleticism of the offensive line.

At this point, two months out from the draft and with free-agent implications surrounding the lockout yet to be decided, I don’t know what to think. If Flozell and Colon return (along with a few key reserves), I could see the team passing on an offensive lineman altogether. And, hell, who knows, maybe they’ll even trade up to get the defensive back they really want.

(That, folks, is my clumsy attempt at foreshadowing. I’ll have a post going up soon about the team’s recent history at trading up and down the draft board.)

tony hipchest
02-24-2011, 01:47 AM
just like all the lamaar woodley "willie or wont he go" topics, lets all please try to keep all discussion of whether willie colon stays or goes into one thread.

thanks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2011, 09:19 AM
I think the drafting of Chris Scott was preparation for Colon leaving. I think he will be the RT of the future, but he is another guy that was speculated could move to guard. So its not out of the question to see a rookie OT drafted and they keep both Scott and the drafted rook.

pete74
02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
i hope we draft a left tackel. if colon stays we move him to guard and starks to rt. if colon leaves, we still move the oveerpaid starks to the right side and play the new guy at LT who will hopefully be better then starks.

everyone seems to think colon is a great player but or line seemed to play better on the right side without him then with him. i personally dont want him unless we get him for a very good price

TRH
02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I hope he stays. He's at least solid and we're already weak in the line.
Thats all we need is for the Pats to sign him and bolster the depth on their line even more than it is. It's obvious what they're doing over there...they don't even want anyone to touch Brady, let alone sack him.

Fire Arians
02-25-2011, 07:54 PM
we need to keep him. flozell only has 1 year left in him.

Atlanta Dan
02-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Colon's agent appears to have made it personal based on this latest snarky comment - unlike a lot of other Steelers, Colon has an agent who likes to get quoted - my guess is that is not a big plus with Colbert and the rest of the front office

There have been no talks between the Steelers and Joe Linta, who represents Colon, though Colbert said he wants Colon to return.

"I'm ecstatic," Linta said. "I'll be by my phone the entire weekend waiting for their phone call."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724573.html

Fun fact - Linta also is Joe Flacco's agent

http://www.jlsports.net/teammates.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2011, 09:43 AM
we need to keep him. flozell only has 1 year left in him.

Dont worry. No use paying too much for a guy coming off an achilies injury to play RT, when Flozell, Chris Scott and Jon Scott can all play RT.

Thanks for the time Willie, its been fun watching you play in B&G.

thumper
02-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Honestly, does anyone give a rats ass of Colon comes back
or not. I don't. They claim he was our best OL-man, but to me,
he looks like a guy who is too short, too fat - with too short
of arms - to be a good OT. I say got with Hotel, Starks, Scott
and a high draft pick (1st or 2nd round) and let Colon walk,
unless he would agree to a fairly low deal. I don't see any
demand for the guy out there, but maybe there is one team
who will throw $ at him.

TRH
02-26-2011, 02:33 PM
i really hate today's agents........

theplatypus
02-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Honestly, does anyone give a rats ass of Colon comes back
or not. I don't. They claim he was our best OL-man, but to me,
he looks like a guy who is too short, too fat - with too short
of arms - to be a good OT. I say got with Hotel, Starks, Scott
and a high draft pick (1st or 2nd round) and let Colon walk,
unless he would agree to a fairly low deal. I don't see any
demand for the guy out there, but maybe there is one team
who will throw $ at him.

I don't like him at RT, but a right side consisting of Pouncey, Colon, and Flo would drive block us right back to the SB.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Specifically: would a starting lineup of Max, Kemoeatu, Maurkice, Colon and Flozell (and, for shiggles, let’s say the Steelers also re-signed Trai and Jonathan Scott) mitigate the need for drafting an offensive lineman in April? (Obligatorily ducks because I know you just threw something at your screen upon reading that last sentence. Fair enough but hear me out…)

I won't throw anything at ya, MESA. I agree wholeheartedly, and have been saying it since the season ended-- we are good to go, IN THE SHORT TERM, at Oline.

* IF we keep Colon, that gives us 3 viable options at offensive tackle: Flozell, Colon, and Starks. All 3 are good to elite tackles. Not a bad place to find yourself, with 3 good options to fill 2 vacancies.

* Pouncey will be even better this next season, unless he takes an offseason off to sit at home and eat bon-bons all day everyday. Somehow, his personality type strikes me as someone who won't do this....he WILL be ready to go in July and will be a force to reckon with.

* Kemo had an AWFUL year, no doubt about it. Some guys can get by on just talent alone, Kemo cannot. I realize he is human and maybe he went light this last offseason. I expect he will beat himself up over this offseason and be ready to go again.

* With what is left, we should be able to cobble together a RG. Foster wasn't too bad at RG, Essex was okay. Legursky could fill in too. Maybe then we could move Colon in to RG. Imagine what kind of power running game we could manage with Pouncey, Colon, and the Hotel on the same side? Oppsing front 7's would quake in fear.....

As I have been saying, our priorities this draft needs to be DL, CB, not Oline. We are good to go on the Oline for next season.

pete74
02-26-2011, 06:16 PM
i dont see it happen and would bet anything we lose Colon but i would love to see him play guard. i think he would be a pro bowler and our line would rock. i dont see why he would want to be a normal RT when he can be a potential pro bowler at guard