PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Steeler victories and worst losses of all time

GBpack2010
02-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I have to ask you guys what are 5 biggest Steeler victories you were most excited about in your history of being a Steeler fan and the worst losses of all time you were most down about?

Fire Arians
02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Best - anytime we beat baltimore or new england.

Worst - anytime we lose to new england or cleveland

harrison'samonster
02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
The worst loss for me was the superbowl vs. the cowboys. There's never been another loss like that for me. I think I was about 14 years old then.

As for best wins, the superbowls vs. the seahawks and the cardinals were big. I'll always remember the last two playoff games vs. the Ravens. And when we beat the Colts in the 2005 playoffs, the way people were talking, we didn't even deserve to be on the same field as that team.

PhantomJB93
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Considering I'm only 17 and to be honest can't remember too much before the Ben Roethlisberger era (I know my history now and have watched old games at this point but I obviosuly can't remember how things "felt" when experiencing them live), I would say the best victories I can remember vividly were Super Bowl 43 and the 2005 AFC Divisional game against the Colts, and the worst losses were the 2004 AFC Championship against the Patriots and this past Super Bowl.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Best wins

December 23, 1972 - my birthday and the Immaculate Reception which I saw at TRS

Super Bowl X - 21-17 over Dallas and the only Super Bowl I have attended (ticket was $25:sofunny:)

Super Bowl XIII - beating Dallas 35-31 decided the team of the 70s

Super Bowl XLIII - 27-23 won with the drive the Steelers could not make against Green Bay

2005 playoffs - Steelers 21 - Indy 18 - greatest upset and a wild game

Worst losses

1976 AFC Championship to Oakland - arguably the greatest Steelers team of all lost to the Raiders with Franco & Rocky injured - current Steelers-Ravens rivalry is a day at the beach compared to 70s Raiders-Steelers hatred

All of the AFC championship losses under Cowher

Steelboy84
02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Victories:

1996, AFC title game against the Colts, my first time seeing the Steelers go to the SB. I can still hear my uncle saying "he caught the ball" (Indy WR) on that last play................

2006 AFC title game against the Broncos

SB XL

2008 at home vs Dallas

SB XLVIII

Losses:

95 title game vs S.D.

SB XXX

98 title game vs. Denver

02 title game vs. N.E.

SB XLV

Farrior_roirraW
02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Best - anytime we beat baltimore or new england.

Worst - anytime we lose to new england or cleveland

This about sums it up for me. :thumbsup:

MaidenIndiana
02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Best Wins:
Colts 2005 playoffs- I was at this game and had taken a lot s**t from Colts fans since
they had killed the Steelers earlier that year on Monday Night
Football (which I also attended)
Seahawks SB XL - Not a classic by any means, but it had been so long since we won
the Super Bowl I litterly broke down and started crying
Cowboys SB XIII - Quite simply the best football game I ever seen. Both teams playing
at their best in their prime
Worst Losses:
Cowboys SB XXX -NEIL O'****IN DONNEL need I say more? Actually leading up to
that game the girl I was dating kept saying she had a suprise for
me that she was waiting to give me after the game. What you may
ask was the surprise?????? You guessed it, an autographed
footbal card of NEIL O'****IN DONNEL
San Diego 1994 AFC Champ - All these years later I still don't know how we lost that
game
Philadelphia - Whatever year was the last year for Three Rivers. First Steeler game I
saw live and at last a pilgramage to the Mecca and the Steelers lost
in overtime after dominating the entire game

steeltheone
02-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Worst ...Losing the AFC Championship to Denver in 97 and The Patriots in 01

Beating the Rams in 79'

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:12 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm431/YoAntonio/superbowlXIII.jpg

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:14 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm431/YoAntonio/superbowlIX.jpg

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:15 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm431/YoAntonio/superbowlX.jpg

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:17 AM
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm431/YoAntonio/superbowllXIV.jpg

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:19 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d18/york2110/NFL_Super_Bowl_XL_2006_200.jpg

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:20 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/Bordo316/super_bowl_xliii_300x180.gif

BGSU A Dub
02-24-2011, 01:34 AM
I think this is an overcompensation thread for something going on in another one (or attempt to gain more personal satisfaction from Steelers fans saying the most recent Super Bowl was the worst). Just a hunch... :coffee: :popcorn: :idea::whistle::mg:

tony hipchest
02-24-2011, 02:36 AM
I think this is an overcompensation thread for something going on in another one (or attempt to gain more personal satisfaction from Steelers fans saying the most recent Super Bowl was the worst). Just a hunch... :coffee: :popcorn: :idea::whistle::mg: easy now...

i thought you had the OP on "ignore". your attempt to practice a bit of self control has failed.

i see where the OP is going.

after all, the steelers have had like, what, 16 championship game and 8 sb appearances?

its pretty easy to guess which would be the 6 greatest steelers victories, and which 2 (+8 games we failed to make the big game) would be the worst. but how do you narrow that down to 5?

its pretty easy for packerfans to answer with the interception machine at qb.

having john elway (one of the suckiest SB QB's of all time - until he faced the packers) has got to be one.

an INT returned for a TD in OT vs the gians has to be 2.

and 5 INT's vs the rams has got to be 3. :noidea:

since it is way to easy to list the steelers greatest wins, im gonna go a bit outside the box.

steelers vs GB last year was one of the greatest games (and i say that w/o bias) that i have seen. just proud my team was part of it.

steelers vs oilers in '89 playoffs (seemed like they were on the rise and headed for great things)

steelers vs bills in 95. the bills were the dominant team in the nfl. kordell was a rookie phenom. the steelers were taking the league by storm and shoulda knocked off the cowboys (who they outplayed and outcoached).

tommie gun vs browns in 2002. i knew they had a shot the whole game and never gave up hope. i felt the same way the following week when they were robbed of another epic afc game vs the raiders when joe nedney gave the flop.

in 2004 we faced the eagles and patriots in consecutive weeks (both undefeated at 7-0/8-0, or something like that). our rookie qb defeated them both on the way to a glorious 15-1 season (a feat that no AFC team had accomplished until tom brady and the SB losing patriots went 16-0).

i could change my mind tomorrow.

BGSU A Dub
02-24-2011, 03:09 AM
easy now...

i thought you had the OP on "ignore". your attempt to practice a bit of self control has failed.

I showed restraint for near a week... it's a drastic improvement. :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

LW56
02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Too many meaningful victories to pick a favorite.
However, my favorite victory with nothing on the line other than bragging rights was ...(drum roll)...

The 41-0 Christmas Eve Massacre of 2005!

This game gave me, a huge Browns hater, everything I wanted in a Steelers Browns game for Christmas:

A beatdown.

A shutout.

Quincy Morgan, who was cut by the Browns, catch an "in your face Clown fan" TD pass toward the end of the game.

Seeng Browns fans evacuate the stadium by mid 3rd qtr. The thousands of Steeler Nation that took over Clowns stadium with their Terrible Towels waving was an awesome sight.

The very last play...Larry Foote jacking up Clown TE Steve Heiden as time expired, preserving the shutout. Heiden was slow in getting up. That play was the statement that summarized the entire game.

Seeing Bill Cowher run off the field smiling from ear to ear amongst Steeler players celebrating Footes hit.

Last but not least , and the best Chrismas present ever...seeing James Harrison slam that idiot Clown fan to the turf...something I've always wanted to do! The thought of one of our players slamming one of their fans is only something we dream about! Thanks Santa!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4569/fjamesharrism32e7b5f.jpg

The thought of die-hard Steeler hating Browns fans waking up Christmas morning bummed was just icing on the cake.

SteelCityMom
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
tommie gun vs browns in 2002. i knew they had a shot the whole game and never gave up hope.

That game was spectacular, and is definitely on my top 5 list.

I'll give this a shot, but like you...I wouldn't say it was "definitive" and could probably change.

Best:
1. SBXLIII
2. Steelers defeat Colts in AFC game ('94-'95 season)
3. Steelers defeat Colts in AFC game ('05-'06 season)
4. Steelers vs. Browns '02
5. Anytime the Steelers crucify the Ravens.

Worst:
1. SBXXX
2. 3 more yards
3. Losing to the Pats in '96 (The Fog Bowl and Stew-czak)
4. And again in '01
5. And again in '04

4xSBChamps
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Worst losses

1976 AFC Championship to Oakland - arguably the greatest Steelers team of all lost to the Raiders with Franco & Rocky injured - current Steelers-Ravens rivalry is a day at the beach compared to 70s Raiders-Steelers hatred

tough to swallow, but Oakland was a great team in those days, and playing without Harris & Bleier made it more-difficult, and in hind-sight, Pittsburgh almost couldn't have won that game, but it sticks in my craw almost 35 years later:
despite the hype from ESPN, bloggers, and other like-minded media sources, the League would never allow such bitterness to enter into a current-day rivalry (Ms. Goodell would soil her panties) as existed between the Raiders & Steelers from that era

no F'n excuse for losing to a pitiful San Diego team in the '94 AFC Championship Game

as for victories, it all started with the 1974 AFC Championship Game (29 December 1974) & Super Bowl 9 (12 January 1975):
without those wins, there is no Steeler / Super Bowl-legacy

clevestinks
02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
For me our last two Superbowls!

One of my favs, the way we came back against Arizona. Big defensive TD, which is Steelers football, a huge drive and great throw and catch Ben to Holmes, then Woodley coming up with the game clinching sack.

My worst, is always the last one, just happens to be a superbowl. Turnovers, we gave them and didnt get them. I can still see the fumble, FRIG, on our way to the lead

LambertIsGod58
02-24-2011, 07:49 PM
1976 AFC Championship loss to Oakland.....worst

Super Bowl IX win......favorite

CargoJon
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys
AFCCG loss to the Cheatriots
AFCCG loss to San Diego

2005 SB win
2005 playoff win vs. Indy
2008 AFCCG (I was at that one along with my very pregnant wife)
2008 SB win

Dino 6 Rings
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
6 Best Wins
IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII

2 Worst losses
XXX, XLV