PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ready for NFL Scouting Combine

mesaSteeler
02-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Steelers ready for NFL Scouting Combine
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 24, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_724340.html#

Mike Tomlin has attended enough NFL Scouting Combines that he can make a critical distinction during what essentially is a job fair for more than 300 prospects:

He knows when players are telling him what they think the Steelers coach wants to hear as opposed to shooting straight with him.

"But I don't hold that against them," Tomlin said, "because, let's be honest, these guys are trying to make a good impression."

Players will have an opportunity to make a good impression during the next week's combine in Indianapolis, whether it's during the 15-minute interviews with coaches and general managers or while participating in physical drills and skills tests.

Coaches and general managers routinely downplay the latter. Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert has said 90 percent of a prospect's evaluation is based on his college career.

Still, players may start to separate themselves, as the combine is the only time the top prospects are at the same venue before the NFL draft.

Chris Johnson, then a little-known running back from East Carolina, didn't hurt himself when he turned in the fastest 4Done >>0-yard dash time (4.24 seconds) at the 2008 combine. The Tennessee Titans drafted Johnson in the first round, and he has become one of the premier running backs in the NFL.

Darius Heyward-Bey ran the 40-yard dash in 4.3 seconds at the combine a year later, prompting the Oakland Raiders to draft the Maryland receiver seventh overall.

Heyward-Bey has yet to make much of an impact, though it is still early in his career.

"I'm looking at pedigree that jumps out at me, things you can't coach," Tomlin said. "And just start the process of getting to know the draft class personally, what makes them tick, their issues and things of that nature. Just start the information-gathering process in terms of putting together a profile on these guys. But in terms of the physical activity, I'm just simply looking at pedigree.

"It means their God-given athletic ability. Their ability to control their body, their ability to move through awkward movements, the things that aren't necessarily football related but are athlete or pedigree related."

The draft will be held April 28-30 even if a lockout occurs. It is considered deep at defensive end but a bit lacking in first-round, skill-position talent.

"I've got a deeper first round than I've had in past years," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said about first-round grades he has assigned to players. "The first round will probably be dominated by defense."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers ready for NFL Scouting Combine - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_724340.html#ixzz1EqlnhgDY

stb_steeler
02-24-2011, 12:27 AM
Who do you think the Steelers will be watching?

BGSU A Dub
02-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Who do you think the Steelers will be watching?

Hopefully everyone :chuckle:

But I'm sure they will be keeping an eye on Pouncey and DB's. One thing is for sure, whoever it is, it'll probably be a good one. Look at this track record (incase you were wondering):
2010 Pouncey (we all know the year he had)
2009 Hood (coming into his own)
2008 Mendenhall (a very solid back IMO)
2007 Timmons (pretty solid linebacker, I think he has been shadowed a bit by Harrison and Woodley)
2006 Holmes (Great reciever for us until... well.... :sombrero:
2005 Miller (Very solid TE)
2004 Roethlisberger (Psuedo elite quarterback :wink02:)
2003 Polamalu (Have you seen those commercials?)