PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker

Ohio Steeler
05-10-2006, 08:26 PM
so is it safe to say Fast willie is our #1 back going into the season opener, and if not who Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Dan Kreider or Cedric Humes

tony hipchest
05-10-2006, 08:34 PM
dont believe it when they say "you dont lose your job due to injury". just like ben won the job from maddox, willie has won the job from duce.

Hines Alou
05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
lol I just found it funny you put Kreider in there, and Humes...

but Tony's exactly right. Willie's the starter, Duce will just fill the role that Jerome had last year, and Verron will play the same role on third down and at he'll grind it out late in the 4th quarter

desertsteel
05-10-2006, 09:31 PM
so is it safe to say Fast willie is our #1 back going into the season opener, and if not who Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Dan Kreider or Cedric Humes
Willie is a 1200 yard back who still has upside!!! Are you kidding? If he wasn't the man we would have drafted an RB before the 7th round. Willie does 1400 this year.

Koopa
05-10-2006, 09:44 PM
willie will start but he'll get between 1000-1200 again. no way will he get 1400 in a two back system. duce will be his main backup, or the guy that has to be out there when we play a team with a running D that is worth a damn

shimmysteelerfan
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Willie is a 1200 yard back who still has upside!!! Are you kidding? If he wasn't the man we would have drafted an RB before the 7th round. Willie does 1400 this year.

i agree, at least 1300. i think he will get more td's since bettis gone, duece will be allright but he will probably get hurt.....again...

WWIIOwheelz
05-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Anxious to see how he does without JB there to guide him. There is NO substitute for speed, no question, but having the presence of a seasoned veteran cannot be understated. Can Duce be that for him? I'd like to see Duce have some of his own moments, first. They need a leader at RB, and I'm not sure how Duce is going to handle that role, because I don't think Willy's ready for it. I'm nervous about it.

BigDude66687
05-10-2006, 11:51 PM
he's still got **** hoat, who is a great rb coach,

also for short yardage situations how about krider taking up that role, i mean he's a big bowling runner when he's gotten the ball in the past he gets positive yardage, i think Krider could be an interesting option in short yardage situations

gratefuled
05-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Parker will be the starter and hope Duece can stay healthy enough to mop up games late. If he can't Ben will have alot more pressure on him to win games.

Could Parker be used alittle more like Westbrook, does he have the Hands. If he does have good enough hands I'd like to see a LB cover him down field.

Koopa
05-11-2006, 12:37 AM
i'm sure willie has good enough hands, but we don't run that kind of offense i don't think. when passing don't we usually use the running back as an extra blocker??? but i wouldn't mind seeing willie get more catches, last year he had some good runs after he catched the ball

gratefuled
05-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Not saying change the offense , but once or twice a game in a running situation would sure shake up a defence.

HburgXL06
05-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey Koopa, look out. You bout to hit 3,000 posts!

BuFu

Koopa
05-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Not saying change the offense , but once or twice a game in a running situation would sure shake up a defence.

oh i know what you mean, i was just adding that we don't really do that, that's why we don't really know if willie has good hands to do it. but i'm sure he does, and i wouldn't mind seeing it a couple times a game too, it would open things more cause then defenses would have to worry about him too.

Hey Koopa, look out. You bout to hit 3,000 posts!

BuFu

lol, just went over it with this post

HburgXL06
05-11-2006, 01:27 AM
lol, just went over it with this post

Congrats!

BuFu

Steel Pit
05-11-2006, 03:24 AM
lol I just found it funny you put Kreider in there, and Humes...

but Tony's exactly right. Willie's the starter, Duce will just fill the role that Jerome had last year, and Verron will play the same role on third down and at he'll grind it out late in the 4th quarter

I believe that Duce will play a much more significant role than Bettis played last year. The Steelers were not paying Bettis much money. I think that they'll want a little more bang for their buck when they consider Staley's salary. If Duce is only going to play the "Bettis role" than he's not a very wise investment. Heck the rookie could play that role for far less money. Just my opinion but we'll see what happens.

clevestinks
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Willie 51% Duce 49%

Big D
05-11-2006, 02:29 PM
i've been ripped on before for ripping on willie parker. I have alot of concerns about him. The steeler offensive line is one of the best lines in the league. I hope all you willie lovers are right about him

Koopa
05-11-2006, 03:07 PM
how come i don't get ripped when i rip on willie???

Big D
05-11-2006, 03:17 PM
you rip willie?

Koopa
05-11-2006, 03:58 PM
well i say he won't be able to ever carry the load for us, and duce will probably be taking over midway threw the season when we actually play teams with a decent run defense. you know stuff like that lol

RoethlisBURGHer
05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
We'll find out how much of a load Willie Parker can handle this season.

Personally,I think he wore out towards the late middle to the end of the year.He barley got ant PT in college and in his rookie season with us.This year will be the true test to what he can handle.I think he could very much be a Ladanian Tomlinson type back,small and fast with some power.He showed that he can run with some power early last year,I hope he can do that all year this year.

Big D
05-11-2006, 06:10 PM
thats exactly my point he did wear out towards the end of the year. Duce is injury prone, we need a more dependable option. We arent a run and shoot offense we arent a pass heavy team. You throw to score you run to win

Hypnotic
05-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I figure we use the running back by committee idea for 2 more years or as long as Duce can still play. Eventually I wouldn't mind us getting a feature back with a reliable third down back like Hayes as the backup.

BigDude66687
05-11-2006, 08:53 PM
I think some of you are writting off willie to quickly, i think he expierenced the same growing pains as ben did during his rookie season, Willie had never been asked to carry half that many times in his carrer, With a full offseason to get in shape and prepare for the duration of the season i imagine that Willie will break 1600 yrds this season

Blitzburgh55
05-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Well Duce is the backup so he would play if willie got hurt

WWIIOwheelz
05-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, one thing's for certain..... the guy can run. It worked very, very well last season, and the minute they stacked the box, Ben burned them like a Marinotov ****tail. I only see the threat of the pass being greater with some of the WR talent we have coming in, not to mention the WR-esque threat of the 83 looming large.

The Steelers have a lot to look forward to for the immediate future on the offensive side of the ball. (How weird is that to think about!?)

Midnightwriter07
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Yes Yes Yes

Koopa
05-11-2006, 11:09 PM
well i like willie and hope he pans out, last year i talked him up and he let me down (i don't buy into that 1200 yards rushing, he disappeared in big games, and only had one good run in the superbowl which was important but other then that he was garbage) so this time i'm trying something else and talkin down on him hoping he makes me look like a fool. so i hope that works lol

SteelCityPride
05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
As I posted in another room this morning, I believe the steelers will run a slightly different offense this season which I think will open things up for Willie. I believe in an offense where defenses are going to be forced to respect the pass willie can flourish. I am not sold on Willie as a starter, but in that scheme he could be very dangerous if we can ctach 7 guys in the box with the linebackers floating at 4-5 yds instead or 3-4 yds. I love Duce and I think if he could stay healthy and our offense doesn't change like I anticipate, then I would love to see him in there more this season. I think Willie doesn't have nearly the ability that Duce has to break tackles and run up the middle. With that said, my thinking, as stated above is that teams will need to respect our deep threat with cedric, santonio, ward and Miller as passing threats. I think the opposing teams will drop their linebackers a yard and that will give a guy like Willie enough time to make a little more solid of a cut and to get through holes that were once holes only bettis could put his shoulder down and rumble through now being holes that a guy like Willie could run upright through. I am not overtaken by Willie's abilities other than his speed, but I think he is the sensible back to have in there if this occurs.

gratefuled
05-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Though I agree willie will never carry the full load. the question I have is does he need to? I don't think so. 1200 yds. out of a 2 back sysem is better than one would expect. If Parker develops a bit and Duece stays healthy we have a very potent back field.

ARKIESTEEL
05-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Someone said that Willie seemed tired late in the season and i think that is right also, but i think they gave up on him much too quick in some games. I also think how many more yards would he have if they gave him the ball late in the games when the defense was tired? Thats when you see alot of these big time backs getting the 80 yards to go with the 100 yard a game they had. Willie can be great once if figures out how to hit the hole with timeing instead of just raw speed. A lot of folks seem down on Veron but i think he could start other places!!

SteelCityPride
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Verron proved to me he could run in the 4th quarter well. I noticed a lot of times he didn't have great vision coming to the line of scrimmage. I seen him on a numbe rof occassions just be stunned and not know what cut to make and watching him run into the back of his lineman. But, towards the end of last season there seemed to be some decent progression. He looked like a much better back, throughout the regular season I was dreading each time he came in, but towards the end of the playoffs he looked like an actual running back. I stilld on't favor him over Duce for the short yardage role and would much rather see verron playing only to put the game away, even though depending on how much Duce played I wouldn't mind seeing him getting most of those carries. I don't think Verron is a bad back by any means, I just think our backfield is rather loaded and for me to put him over Duce or Willie, I couldn't see that happening, but to say that he could start other places... Possibly.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Again I'll ask what does Willie Parker have to do for people to get off his back? Willie had 1200 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average in his first year as a starter. No he can't carry the load like Bettis did in his prime. But how many Super Bowl titles did we win in Jerome's prime a big fat zero. We finally won the Super Bowl with a speed back getting the majority of the carries. Plus I think Willie was thinking to much at times last year instead of letting his natural instincts take over. I saw Willie at times last year just go with the orginal hole instead of maybe cutting it back for a big gain.

About our so called great offensive line. The Steelers do have a very good offensive line no doubt when they all play up to their potential. But during the season the Oline didn't play up to par in the middle of the season. Cowher even commented on their sub par play during the season. I thought our Oline played much better in 2004. But we did have a first time starter in Max Starks at RT. Plus Kendall Simmons was still getting back to full health and form. Marvel also missed some games. Also those reasons were why the Oline's play dropped some from 2004.

One big factor I think will help Willie more this year is all the weapons the Steelers will employ in the passing game. The Steelers won't turn into the greatest show on grass offensively. But they have alot of weapons to take that 8th or sometimes 9th guys out of the box. I don't see how a defense can ignore Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Cedric Wilson and Heath Miller.

Steelers fans don't worry. Willie Parker will be fine this year. I worry more about Duce and Verron staying healthy to help carry the load. Both of them have had their troubles staying healthy in their careers.

MattsMe
05-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Here's a couple video interviews with him:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=16218@kdka.dayport.com

http://kdka.com/video/?id=16108@kdka.dayport.com

sheba
06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
willie is way better than Duce that's why he is the 1 rb on the team

tony hipchest
06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Here's a couple video interviews with him:

http://kdka.com/video/?id=16218@kdka.dayport.com

http://kdka.com/video/?id=16108@kdka.dayport.com

excellent interview. the 2nd one was by far the best i have ever seen with him. especially when asked what if the steelers had drafted lendale white. he seemed to have all the confidence in the world that he would show up to camp and win the starting spot regardless. i think he has as much upside as ben does and the steelers O has barely scratched the surface.

Big D
06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
i dont think willie would be the starter if duce was healthy

Steel12
06-20-2006, 03:38 PM
willie is way better than Duce that's why he is the 1 rb on the team

I disagree...Duce is a tough runner that can avg. 5 yards a carry whether it's up the middle or off tackle. Plus, even though we don't throw to the RBs too much, he is the best pass catcher out of the backfield.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I disagree...Duce is a tough runner that can avg. 5 yards a carry whether it's up the middle or off tackle. Plus, even though we don't throw to the RBs too much, he is the best pass catcher out of the backfield.

Sorry but Duce won't come close to averaging 5 yards a carry.

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg
1997 Philadelphia Eagles 16 0 7 29 4.1
1998 Philadelphia Eagles 16 13 258 1065 4.1
1999 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 325 1273 3.9
2000 Philadelphia Eagles 5 5 79 344 4.4
2001 Philadelphia Eagles 13 10 166 604 3.6
2002 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 269 1029 3.8
2003 Philadelphia Eagles 16 4 96 463 4.8
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 10 10 192 830 4.3
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 5 1 38 148 3.9

His highest yards per carry was 4.8 and he only had 96 attempts in 2003 when he did that. Duce will get around 3.9 to 4.1 like he has consistently done throughout his NFL career.

Steel12
06-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Sorry but Duce won't come close to averaging 5 yards a carry.

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg
1997 Philadelphia Eagles 16 0 7 29 4.1
1998 Philadelphia Eagles 16 13 258 1065 4.1
1999 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 325 1273 3.9
2000 Philadelphia Eagles 5 5 79 344 4.4
2001 Philadelphia Eagles 13 10 166 604 3.6
2002 Philadelphia Eagles 16 16 269 1029 3.8
2003 Philadelphia Eagles 16 4 96 463 4.8
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 10 10 192 830 4.3
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 5 1 38 148 3.9

His highest yards per carry was 4.8 and he only had 96 attempts in 2003 when he did that. Duce will get around 3.9 to 4.1 like he has consistently done throughout his NFL career.

I said he "can"...meaning if he was in the right situation, it can happen. In 2004, before he got hurt in the Patriots game, he was nearly there and on pace for 1600 yards that season. I'm not sayin he should start ova Parker by no means. I just think with our line he can be a 5.0 ypc back.

43FlyingHair
06-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Parker had a number of spectacular runs last year, but if you really watched the games, you would remember that he had a very few long rushes (8 of 255), a few short rushes, a lot of rushes for no gain, and a little more than a few tackles for a loss. In short, his 4.7 yd/carry average is kind of deceptive. I think a lot of people give him more credit because of the fact that he had a spectacular 12+ yards/reception average, and they're not distinguishing rushing from all-purpose yards.

Sure, 1200 yards is nothing to sneeze at, but he wasn't playing the last 20 yards when it gets toughest - they always gave the ball to Bettis to pound in. Parker just isn't a pound-it-down-their-throats runner. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see a speed guy like Parker in Pittsburgh, and I think we can do a lot with it, but I also think he's a better asset rushing between the 20s with some open field, than he is in the red zone.

With all the crap going on with Holmes, I regret even more that we didn't take LenDale White in the first round (or even just trade down to get him early in the second). I think with 2-3 years to learn from Duce and adapt to the Steelers' system, we would have had the most punishing offense in the league.

ARKIESTEEL
06-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Parker had a number of spectacular runs last year, but if you really watched the games, you would remember that he had a very few long rushes (8 of 255), a few short rushes, a lot of rushes for no gain, and a little more than a few tackles for a loss. In short, his 4.7 yd/carry average is kind of deceptive. I think a lot of people give him more credit because of the fact that he had a spectacular 12+ yards/reception average, and they're not distinguishing rushing from all-purpose yards.

Sure, 1200 yards is nothing to sneeze at, but he wasn't playing the last 20 yards when it gets toughest - they always gave the ball to Bettis to pound in. Parker just isn't a pound-it-down-their-throats runner. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to see a speed guy like Parker in Pittsburgh, and I think we can do a lot with it, but I also think he's a better asset rushing between the 20s with some open field, than he is in the red zone.

With all the crap going on with Holmes, I regret even more that we didn't take LenDale White in the first round (or even just trade down to get him early in the second). I think with 2-3 years to learn from Duce and adapt to the Steelers' system, we would have had the most punishing offense in the league.

He also didnt get the ball in the fourth when we was runnig the clock out with a lead. How many more yards would he got if he was running at a broke defense

BlackNGold203
06-21-2006, 07:08 AM
He also didnt get the ball in the fourth when we was runnig the clock out with a lead. How many more yards would he got if he was running at a broke defense

Excellent point.....

He was a rookie..he's still learning...and he's a VERY dangerous back.....

patience folks.....

stlrtruck
06-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I think Haynes could push Duce for that starting backup roll. He might also be the guy we're looking for to replace The Bus. Nothing against Kreider, I like his style too.

ARKIESTEEL
06-21-2006, 03:06 PM
I think Haynes could push Duce for that starting backup roll. He might also be the guy we're looking for to replace The Bus. Nothing against Kreider, I like his style too.

I am with you on this all the way. I like Veron he could be the one to take us to the promise land

MyCuz64Furness
06-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I hope Willie starts......lets hope he can get it going again this year......lookin forward to seeing him in the opener.....:hope:

BBC
06-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I think Haynes will take the starting role sometime this season. Parker is a fast back, but I don't feel he can get the job done. He seemed to do very well against teams without anything even resembling a run defense, but when he played teams like San Diego (26 yards), Denver (35 yards), and New England (55 yards) he fell apart. While Parker may break a huge run here and there, Verron seems to be a more reliable back, from what I've seen

ARKIESTEEL
06-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Honestly, I think Haynes will take the starting role sometime this season. Parker is a fast back, but I don't feel he can get the job done. He seemed to do very well against teams without anything even resembling a run defense, but when he played teams like San Diego (26 yards), Denver (35 yards), and New England (55 yards) he fell apart. While Parker may break a huge run here and there, Verron seems to be a more reliable back, from what I've seen

I think you are dead on the money with this unless Parker learns how to run.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Ok, ok I'm sick of the complaints regarding Willie Parker. Yea, he isn't the typical power back that us fans all love. But, come on guys. Willie Parker became only the 6th Steelers RB to run for 1,000 yards in a season. The other 5 RB's to do that in Steelers history were John Henry Johnson, Franco Harris, Rocky Bleier, Barry Foster and Jerome Bettis. Thats very good company that Willie joined. Also, Willie's 1202 yards was the 6th highest on the alltime on the Steelers alltime list for rushing yards in a season.

The thing I like about Willie Parker. Yea, he does get alot of those 1 yard or less carries. But he can take it the distance on any carry. The Steelers offense struggled for the most part during the Super Bowl. But, Willie Parker made one of the few big plays that day. Willie Parker makes the Steelers offense explosive. I'm all for pounding away at a defense with a bigback. But, Willie proved himself as a starter and he should remain the starter.

BBC
06-23-2006, 04:39 PM
The thing I like about Willie Parker. Yea, he does get alot of those 1 yard or less carries. But he can take it the distance on any carry. The Steelers offense struggled for the most part during the Super Bowl. But, Willie Parker made one of the few big plays that day. Willie Parker makes the Steelers offense explosive. I'm all for pounding away at a defense with a bigback. But, Willie proved himself as a starter and he should remain the starter.

While he may be explosive, you fail to mention what all of those 1 yard and no gain runs do for the offense. It then forces the team to pass, being in a 2nd and 10 or 3rd in 10 situation. It makes the offense much more predictable, and puts a lot more pressure on our quarterback. I'd much rather a player get a 4 yard average by running for around 4 yards every play, than getting stuffed 9 out of 10 times, and busting one big run every once in a while.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
While he may be explosive, you fail to mention what all of those 1 yard and no gain runs do for the offense. It then forces the team to pass, being in a 2nd and 10 or 3rd in 10 situation. It makes the offense much more predictable, and puts a lot more pressure on our quarterback. I'd much rather a player get a 4 yard average by running for around 4 yards every play, than getting stuffed 9 out of 10 times, and busting one big run every once in a while.

You have to take the negative with the positive. Thats how I look at it. You, also have to take in account that it was Willie's first year as a starter. I think at times last year he was following the orginal hole instead of maybe cutting it back for one of those big gains that he can give us on any given play. Sure pounding away at a defense with a big sluggish back sets up alot more 3 and shorts. But some games the Steelers are going to have trouble scoring when their offense is off. With a big back he won't be able to provide a big play like Willie. I'll, say look at the Super Bowl. The Steelers offense had an off game. But, Willie Parker made one of the few big plays that game.

Thats what makes the Steelers so dangerous with this speed they have now. Even in the games they have trouble scoring the Steelers have that ability to score from anywhere on the field. Until Willie proves he can't handle being the starter. I'll have his back.

BBC
06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
You have to take the negative with the positive. Thats how I look at it. You, also have to take in account that it was Willie's first year as a starter. I think at times last year he was following the orginal hole instead of maybe cutting it back for one of those big gains that he can give us on any given play. Sure pounding away at a defense with a big sluggish back sets up alot more 3 and shorts. But some games the Steelers are going to have trouble scoring when their offense is off. With a big back he won't be able to provide a big play like Willie. I'll, say look at the Super Bowl. The Steelers offense had an off game. But, Willie Parker made one of the few big plays that game.

Thats what makes the Steelers so dangerous with this speed they have now. Even in the games they have trouble scoring the Steelers have that ability to score from anywhere on the field. Until Willie proves he can't handle being the starter. I'll have his back.

My problem with the part in bold is that the Steelers offense would have been fine had their run game been existent in more than just one play. Willie can break a big one, and I like him, I'm not saying he shouldn't play at all, I just don't know if he's as reliable as his numbers made him look.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-23-2006, 05:00 PM
My problem with the part in bold is that the Steelers offense would have been fine had their run game been existent in more than just one play. Willie can break a big one, and I like him, I'm not saying he shouldn't play at all, I just don't know if he's as reliable as his numbers made him look.

I understand totally and your right Willie's numbers are misleading. I would lying if I said I didn't get fustrated at times during the games when Willie would be stuffed for those short runs. I guess I just like the threat of scoring anytime from anywhere on the field. The reason why we will have them games were points are going to be hard to come by. But on that 1 play Willie can break the game open. This is a make or break year for Willie though. Yea, had a fine first year as a starter. But, in the NFL you have to prove you can do again. I, just think Willie has earned that right.

tony hipchest
06-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Honestly, I think Haynes will take the starting role sometime this season. Parker is a fast back, but I don't feel he can get the job done. He seemed to do very well against teams without anything even resembling a run defense, but when he played teams like San Diego (26 yards), Denver (35 yards), and New England (55 yards) he fell apart. While Parker may break a huge run here and there, Verron seems to be a more reliable back, from what I've seen the 3 games you mentionned:

a win
a win
shoulda been a win

to me those numbers reflect more on jeromes strengths than willies weaknesses.

duce, willie and verron will all get their fair shot and the young raw willie will prove to be the best back on our roster. this isnt amos zeroue

BBC
06-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I understand totally and your right Willie's numbers are misleading. I would lying if I said I didn't get fustrated at times during the games when Willie would be stuffed for those short runs. I guess I just like the threat of scoring anytime from anywhere on the field. The reason why we will have them games were points are going to be hard to come by. But on that 1 play Willie can break the game open. This is a make or break year for Willie though. Yea, had a fine first year as a starter. But, in the NFL you have to prove you can do again. I, just think Willie has earned that right.

There's no question that he's the starter come week one. I just don't know if he'll be able to keep the job. I hope he can, and I agree with you, knowing that every play can be a touchdown is nice, but knowing that you'll get 4 yards almost every time our RB touches the ball is better to me.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
There's no question that he's the starter come week one. I just don't know if he'll be able to keep the job. I hope he can, and I agree with you, knowing that every play can be a touchdown is nice, but knowing that you'll get 4 yards almost every time our RB touches the ball is better to me.

Well, yea getting that consistent 4 yards a carry is nice. But, all those years before we had that under Cowher and never won the Super Bowl. Granted very poor QB play in the playoffs was the biggest reason the Steelers always fell short under Cowher. But I also think the lack of overall speed on offense also was a reason. The Steelers never had that big play ability really until Willie Parker. Ok, they did get a few when Kordell broke some big runs. But, his bad QB play negated that fact.

I think Willie will hold up and not only build on what he did last year. But even have a better year. Experience, is very important and Wille has that now.

Raider Nation
06-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Willie was pretty impressive is a few games, but I still think that the Steelers need that smash mouth type RB that they always seem to have. I was really shocked to see that the Steelers didn't pick up a power RB in the draft, but that's just MHO...:smile:

83-Steelers-43
06-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I think what some fail to realize with Willie (normally fans of other teams) is that he's still young. Last season was his first year to pull the load and I think he played pretty damn good. He's still learning. All in time.

BlackNGold203
06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
This year will tell alot about Parker....many forget he was basically a rookie last year (not technically...but realistically)....what has he learned?...will he develop further?...jury is still out...but I feel good about Staley...playing him in the "Bettis role"....he should't break down like he did in the past....

In addition...if Ben gets off to a fast start...piggybacking on his performance in the playoffs...defenses will not be able to stack the line...which will open up more holes...

I cant wait to see it!!

tony hipchest
06-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I think what some fail to realize with Willie (normally fans of other teams) is that he's still young. Last season was his first year to pull the load and I think he played pretty damn good. He's still learning. All in time. at this stage of his development he is probably equivalent to a 3rd year starter in college. in about 3 years he could be as effective as tiki barber or a notch below ladainian tomlinson.

kinda like how big ben didnt start playing the qb position until his sr. in highschool.

both are young, unpolished, and with some of the greatest upside in the nfl. i throw i. taylor, w. ried and our new safety smith into that unpolished class. the steelers coaching staff are like jewelers.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-23-2006, 06:20 PM
at this stage of his development he is probably equivalent to a 3rd year starter in college. in about 3 years he could be as effective as tiki barber or a notch below ladainian tomlinson.

kinda like how big ben didnt start playing the qb position until his sr. in highschool.

both are young, unpolished, and with some of the greatest upside in the nfl. i throw i. taylor, w. ried and our new safety smith into that unpolished class. the steelers coaching staff are like jewelers.

I agree Tony, I really like Willie Parker. I think he builds off of last year and really has a better year this year. I'm thinking 1400 yards to along with 7-8 TD's for Willie this year. I think at times last year Willie followed the orginal hole instead of maybe cutting it back for a big gain. I see more of Willie's natural instincts taking over this year.

SteelCzar76
06-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I think Willie will be stronger this year after having started for a season and seeing what it takes. If he's smart,.. he's worked a little harder to be prepared. Will he be an everydown back for the entire season ?,,...doubtful,... but i think he'll put up slightly better numbers and be little more durable. As far as Veron goes,...if it ever comes to the point where he's starting we are in trouble in a major way. Meaning Duce (his health) is THE x factor on the ground for us this year. The funniest part to me though is,...if the Ben, Hines, Heath and Santonio play up to their potential we could be almost "Colts Like" in regards to scoring.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

clevestinks
06-24-2006, 12:10 PM
at this stage of his development he is probably equivalent to a 3rd year starter in college. in about 3 years he could be as effective as tiki barber or a notch below ladainian tomlinson.

I like what I`m reading and could not agree more! Lets hope that this is all pans out, if so we have the makings of a great offense for along time

SteelerFanInATL
06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
IMO Willie has to show me a few things befor I can accept him as our starter. I would love to see the mentoring and coaching from last year make him a better player this year. Don't be suprised to see Duce in the same role as JB last year. A healthy Duce will be an awsome combo.