PDA

View Full Version : "Cam Newton is the black Ben Roethlisberger."

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
I suppose this analogy can work in a variety of ways:chuckle:

Scout: Cam Newton is the next Ben Roethlisberger

Actually, this is exactly what an African-American NFL scout stated about Cam Newton:

"Cam Newton is the black Ben Roethlisberger."

This is what he meant and his comparison had nothing to do with off-the-field. He meant strictly on it.

When looking at Newton now and Roethlisberger coming out of college the parallels are indeed interesting. Newton is far more decorated with a Heisman and national championship than Roethlisberger was coming out of Miami University but both men had size and big arms. Both were gritty. Both ran well. Both escaped sacks. Both won a lot of games.

Newton has a great deal to prove. He's done nothing on the NFL level but the Roethlisberger comparison is actually legitimate strictly in terms of deciphering who Newton best resembles in the pros now.

The scout was also making another type of statement with the comparison. There are plenty of personnel men who have expressed privately to me how they tire of the black quarterback to black quarterback comparisons when they aren't relevant. It's beyond stupid, for example, to compare Newton to Mike Vick. That's like comparing a Great Dane to a Jack Russell.

Maybe I shouldn't use dog analogies.

But you get the point.

The Cam Newton Show begins Thursday.

http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/27624244

Comparing Cam Newton to Ben actually reinforces the stereotype, which my idol Steve Young was working hard on Super Bowl Sunday, that Roethlisberger is an unpolished QB who does not put in the work at practice or in reviewing film (like Brady, P. Manning, Brees and the newly sainted Aaron Rogers) but just gets by on his physical skills.

So I guess Cam Newton should be offended he is being compared to someone who is regarded as a talented but nevertheless dumb and lazy QB such as Roethlisberger.

Deserei90
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
WOW!:doh:

El Nino
02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
wait i thought josh freeman was?

MattsMe
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Wait, I thought Ben was the white Cam Newton? :huh:

Actually, I don't remember Ben's father shopping his services around in college, while Ben
"had no knowledge." :rolleyes:

Newton has a great deal to prove. He's done nothing on the NFL level

That pretty much says it all.

PhantomJB93
02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
^Obviously he hasn't done anything in the NFL yet and isn't proven at that level. But in terms of his physical build and playing style, I can EASILY see the comparison,

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Meh i don't know guys. Ben put in 3 outstanding years in college. Newton only played 1 year. Newton put up 2854 yards passing this past season. Ben threw for 3000 in each of his 3 seasons, including 4400+ his last year. I mean Newton rushed for a ton of yards (way more than Ben)...but I really don't see the similarities in ability. I think Newton is closer to being JaMarcus Russell.

tony hipchest
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
wait i thought josh freeman was?no...

he is actually smart and studies.

so he is the next bigger, faster, and more elusive steve young. just ask steve young. :sofunny:

clevestinks
02-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Does it really matter? I dont see Cam being as successful as ben

pete74
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
i really want to see Newton fail. i dont say this often but i hate how he started one year and already thinks he is the next big thing.

clevestinks
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
i really want to see Newton fail. i dont say this often but i hate how he started one year and already thinks he is the next big thing.

I agree, and I think he is over rated. Great athlete, but QB? Nope

rich4eagle
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
I suppose this analogy can work in a variety of ways:chuckle:

Scout: Cam Newton is the next Ben Roethlisberger

Actually, this is exactly what an African-American NFL scout stated about Cam Newton:

"Cam Newton is the black Ben Roethlisberger."

This is what he meant and his comparison had nothing to do with off-the-field. He meant strictly on it.

When looking at Newton now and Roethlisberger coming out of college the parallels are indeed interesting. Newton is far more decorated with a Heisman and national championship than Roethlisberger was coming out of Miami University but both men had size and big arms. Both were gritty. Both ran well. Both escaped sacks. Both won a lot of games.

Newton has a great deal to prove. He's done nothing on the NFL level but the Roethlisberger comparison is actually legitimate strictly in terms of deciphering who Newton best resembles in the pros now.

The scout was also making another type of statement with the comparison. There are plenty of personnel men who have expressed privately to me how they tire of the black quarterback to black quarterback comparisons when they aren't relevant. It's beyond stupid, for example, to compare Newton to Mike Vick. That's like comparing a Great Dane to a Jack Russell.

Maybe I shouldn't use dog analogies.

But you get the point.

The Cam Newton Show begins Thursday.

http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/27624244

Comparing Cam Newton to Ben actually reinforces the stereotype, which my idol Steve Young was working hard on Super Bowl Sunday, that Roethlisberger is an unpolished QB who does not put in the work at practice or in reviewing film (like Brady, P. Manning, Brees and the newly sainted Aaron Rogers) but just gets by on his physical skills.

So I guess Cam Newton should be offended he is being compared to someone who is regarded as a talented but nevertheless dumb and lazy QB such as Roethlisberger.

That is funny Ben is a player and in a some years Cam Newton will be forgotten while Ben is going for another bowl...........that was so well...................:tt04:

clevestinks
02-24-2011, 07:53 PM
That is funny Ben is a player and in a some years Cam Newton will be forgotten while Ben is going for another bowl...........that was so well...................:tt04:

Awesome, Ben got to get a couple more rings, quick. Some of our stars are getting old, Troy,Clarke,Farrior, Hoke,Hampton,Smith, Keisel, and even harrison, arent young

wootawnee
02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
No matter what you say....

.if another race cannot say it.............
then it is the wrong thing to say......

PERIOD

Progression.......

PhantomJB93
02-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Again, I don't think anybody means he'll be a top 5 QB and win multiple Super Bowls by saying this, I don't think they are comparing him to Ben in terms of the success he will have in the NFL. In terms of his physical build and size, his playing style outside the pocket and physicality, and his clutchness and success in college (even if only one year of it), he IS the "black Ben Roethlisberger," or at least the black Ben Roethlisberger of college football. Only difference is he has a little less accuracy (still a huge arm and deep ball though) and little more speed and running skill.

SH-Rock
02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Cam Newton is more of a black Aaron Rodgers or a better Vince Young (don't know how much better)

CargoJon
02-27-2011, 01:57 PM
No matter what you say....

.if another race cannot say it.............
then it is the wrong thing to say......

PERIOD

Progression.......

Seems to me Limbaugh got bounced from ESPN years ago for bringing race into the QB conversation....I agree the double standard is laughable.

xli...
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Why would anyone want to draft his guy as their QB of the future? What he has said in the past is proof enough that he is a nut job.

thumper
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Yea wasn't Demarcus Russel the new, bigger, better black Ben?
How did he do?

thumper
02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Why would anyone want to draft his guy as their QB of the future? What he has said in the past is proof enough that he is a nut job.

"Nut job" may be putting it on a little thick. But the quote - recently - that
he doesn't want to just be the best QB but an "icon" left me thinking no
way I touch this kid if I were a GM. That made LeBron James self-absorbed
comments seem shy by comparison.

Kid is coming across way too ****y way too soon. Think what you want
(to a degree) but shut your stink hole until you have done some things
on the field, and, preferably, until you are freaking retired, if you have
any brains at all.

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
"Nut job" may be putting it on a little thick. But the quote - recently - that
he doesn't want to just be the best QB but an "icon" left me thinking no
way I touch this kid if I were a GM. That made LeBron James self-absorbed
comments seem shy by comparison.

Kid is coming across way too ****y way too soon. Think what you want
(to a degree) but shut your stink hole until you have done some things
on the field, and, preferably, until you are freaking retired, if you have
any brains at all.

John Elway and Eli Manning said they would not play for certain teams and were able to dictate that decision, so Newton is not the first college QB to pack a lot of attitude coming into the NFL and at least has not played that card yet

Unfortunately these players develop a sense of entitlement starting with the ridiculous emphasis (at least in SEC country) on where high school kids say they are going to play minor league (aka "college") football before they are eligible to get paid legally

Newton is a gamble but drafting a QB in the first round always is (e.g. - Ryan Leaf/Jeff George)

steelcity1974
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
When you start getting young talent compared to you, it means you're doing something right. How many times have we heard comparisons to great players and they don't pan out...a lot! We're starting to hear several comparisons to Ben...just means these guys play a similar style as a great player. Doesn't mean they are going to live up to they hype...most never do.

Dino 6 Rings
03-02-2011, 10:07 AM
go 15-1 your rookie year, win a Super Bowl your second year, get to two more and win another in the following 5 years and then...then get back to me about being called the "black roethlisberger"

Cam can't hit a 20 yard out route...he's the next Jamarcus Russell as far as I'm concerned.

lionslicer
03-04-2011, 12:47 PM
wait i thought josh freeman was?

I think Freeman is closer to Ben than Newton is. Everyone says Newton is the new Big Ben because of his size, they very similar in size and weight and both break tackles a lot and extends plays. I think Newton is closer to Steve Young but more accurate... and that really isn't saying much.

scsteeler
03-06-2011, 08:37 PM

He can think anything he wants but he has to prove himself but I would never wish anyone to fail. Why would you want to wish that on a someone?