PDA

View Full Version : Not many realistic ways to get Pouncey

rthorsn
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I have been watching the NFL combine and looked closely at all the O line, D line, and secondary players. I know that the combine isn't the true test of skill but this years draft class looks strong in ALL those categories.

If we sit by and wait and see if Pouncey falls to us we will never get him. His combine performance secured that. The Steelers may not even be able to trade up for him. The only chance we have is if he slips to 22 according to the ESPN pick value chart.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

If he falls to 22 we could trade up exchange our 1st pick and give up our 3rd and 5th round picks.

Thats just going on value chart. Maybe the team can swing another type of deal. If the Steelers did this would everybody be on board? Seems like a lot to give up in such a deep draft this year BUT I would love to have Pouncey and maybe a Ras I Dowling for Virgina.

:tt04: Thoughts? :tt:

bubbletownwr88
02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
anything can happen.

PhantomJB93
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah, anything can happen, but I have still given up just about all hope that we will get him without trading up, which I think might be a mistake anyway. If we were in the 20's that would be one thing, but there are too many teams ahead of us in need of Oline help for Pouncey to last all the way to 31.

I would have rather us taken a CB anyway

pete74
02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
if Pouncey falls into the 20's i think we will trade up and grab him. we had one of our best drafts ever last season but in reality were lucky if we get 2 good starters out of a draft. with that said, we dont need 7 picks anyway and i would be happy to trade up for Pouncey as long as we keep our 2nd round pick. a nyone who says its not worth it to have both Pouncet's protecting Ben and opening up holes for Mendy for the next 10 years is nuts

steelerohio
03-01-2011, 12:40 AM
And he's hoping to go by 18 because his brother was drafted 18th, that competition thing ya know?

BGSU A Dub
03-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Wasn't Brady Quinn projected to be a top 5 pick?

At lot of crazy things can happen on draft day.

Rick5895
03-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Pouncey would be a great addition to our OL. However, he won't last and giving up multiple picks to get him would hurt us. If we don't resign taylor we need to hope 1 of the potential 1st rd CB's fall to us. The best potential for that is Harris or wiliams. I am a big fan of Dowling, and if he is there in RD 2 we could grab him too. Our OL isn't great but I believe it's adequete, when we get our injured guys back and I think Legursky can be a very good RG. With the way teams are going to spread offenses against teams with very strong front 7's we will need backend help.

pete74
03-01-2011, 05:54 AM
even though we could use 2 CB's there isnt a remote possibility of the Steelers grabbing a corner in both the 1st and 2nd round.

rthorsn
03-01-2011, 09:08 AM
One things that COULD hurt his draft status is that he told reports he "didn't think he go to the Steelers but there is always free agency" Teams might look at him as a lost piece if he really wants to play with his twin. Doubt it but I can hope. I am sure whoever the Steelers take in round 1 will be a stud. Colbert is solid during round 1

steelerchad
03-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I personally don't want to take Pouncey. Guards are not valued as high in the draft. I would prefer to find a RT and move Colon to RG. Willie and his agent will never go for this as there is a lot more money on the table from other teams if he can sell himself as a tackle. I would prefer a starting lineup of LT- Starks, LG- Kemo, C- Pouncey, RG- Colon, RT- Adams. With Legursky, Foster, Scott as backups. Then draft Adams replacement at RT in this years draft. Hopefully he would be ready to play in 2012 as this would be Flozell's last year.

Never happen though. Willie will just not move over to guard. He'd be leaving too much future money on the table.

kirklandrules
03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I personally don't want to take Pouncey. Guards are not valued as high in the draft. I would prefer to find a RT and move Colon to RG. Willie and his agent will never go for this as there is a lot more money on the table from other teams if he can sell himself as a tackle. I would prefer a starting lineup of LT- Starks, LG- Kemo, C- Pouncey, RG- Colon, RT- Adams. With Legursky, Foster, Scott as backups. Then draft Adams replacement at RT in this years draft. Hopefully he would be ready to play in 2012 as this would be Flozell's last year.

Never happen though. Willie will just not move over to guard. He'd be leaving too much future money on the table.

You bet. We need a solid tackle ... seems we have about 5 linemen who can play guard. Colon won't be back and who knows if Starks will be in fighting shape. Neck surgery did in Marvel Smith (albiet he was older).

Fire Arians
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM

I wouldn't be against taking pouncey, but yeah I'm leaning more toward drafting a few corners, not just 1. we're weak in cb depth, and this draft is deep in cb talent. we need to capitalize on that.

TRH
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM

I'm not big on taking Pouncey either. Hell, even if he's still there, the Steelers might not take him.

BGSU A Dub
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I definitely would rather draft Pouncey than an unproven rookie corner. I know all great players start somewhere, but our team with a good offensive line, we would be scary good. As an offensive minded person would say: the best defense is a great offense. The Steelers are only about 1 or 2 players away from being a scary good offense.

xli...
03-02-2011, 11:07 PM
One sports site, think fox sports, had the Ravens selecting him. Wouldn't that be a kick in the balls.

ricardisimo
03-03-2011, 03:51 AM
NFL.com's first mock has us actually passing him over, and Green Bay taking him. I don't see us passing him up, but end of the first is more or less where the top guard tends to go. Go back and look at years past. Sometimes the first guard goes in the second or third round. It's not the crazy longshot you make it out to be.

Rick5895
03-04-2011, 03:55 AM
If Pouncey fall to us I think we would take him, also a lot of so called experts have Williams of Texas falling to the 2nd. That would leave him and Dowling availble in the 2nd. Maybe a move up. How the Steelers draft will give us an idea of what they think of Crezdon Butler.

pete74
03-04-2011, 04:45 AM
if Pouncey falls to us which i see as impossible we will take him. as for Dowling, he is a great player but im worried about his injury history. i dont want a player like Sanders in Indy who never plays a full season

Fire Arians
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
If Pouncey fall to us I think we would take him, also a lot of so called experts have Williams of Texas falling to the 2nd. That would leave him and Dowling availble in the 2nd. Maybe a move up. How the Steelers draft will give us an idea of what they think of Crezdon Butler.

even if butler is ready i think we should still draft a corner or 2. we could always use more depth, and if the opposing team goes 5 wide I don't want madison out there

Curtain_of_Steel
03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Pats will trade out of their 17th pick fairly easy. The question is, how much do we value trading up, and if we trade up, is someone better like a CB available as opposed to Pouncey. Would love to have him. But we have a glaring need at CB and we don't sign to m any high profile free agents.

lionslicer
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
How about the Steelers get a solid offensive line man and not a back up center because he happens to be the brother of our starting center? Or maybe a defensive back or defensive lineman.

Rick5895
03-05-2011, 04:16 AM
even if butler is ready i think we should still draft a corner or 2. we could always use more depth, and if the opposing team goes 5 wide I don't want madison out there

I couldn't agree more. I believe we will take a CB, even if Butler is ready. Also need to re=sign Ike. All this being said, we aren't going to be able to get it all in one draft (to help the secondary) We are pretty good on D, and helping the OL will help our TEAM.
I still think our recent Super Bowl loss had more to do with an ineffective O than D. We left lots of points out there with turnovers.

pete74
03-05-2011, 08:07 AM
How about the Steelers get a solid offensive line man and not a back up center because he happens to be the brother of our starting center? Or maybe a defensive back or defensive lineman.

who is a back up center? Pouncey played Guard more then Center in college and can play and start at either in the NFL and more then likely play at a Pro Bowl level just like his twin. if we draft him he will immediatly be our starting right guard

SH-Rock
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
who is a back up center? Pouncey played Guard more then Center in college and can play and start at either in the NFL and more then likely play at a Pro Bowl level just like his twin. if we draft him he will immediatly be our starting right guard

I think Legursky did a decent job in the Super Bowl.

lipps83
03-05-2011, 03:55 PM

I don't understand that thinking though. There is a huge possibility that Pouncey is going to be a solid player for years to come. You would prefer to take a RT, nobody in particular but the supposed best one available when we pick. Could be a bust, who knows?

Why take that kind of chance when you have a potential clone of one of your existing Pro Bowl lineman?

"We need a RT, take that guy, he's available and might be good, we didn't scout him, but he's there".

I see that as more of a waste.

pete74
03-05-2011, 06:20 PM
yea i would take Pouncey over any tackel left at 31. we know Pouncey will be a pro bowler. we really need a new LT but no way would i pass on Pouncey

kirklandrules
03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
yea i would take Pouncey over any tackel left at 31. we know Pouncey will be a pro bowler. we really need a new LT but no way would i pass on Pouncey

Maurkice was rated higher than Mike, which is why he left early and Mike stayed at Florida. I watch a handful of Florida games a year and it was obvious which brother was the better player. Mike is still a good player, but I wouldn't expect him to be pro bowl material just because of the performance of his twin brother.