PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interview Carnell Lake for secondary coach job

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Steelers interview Carnell Lake for secondary coach job

The Steelers might be reaching back into their past to hire a secondary coach to replace Ray Horton.

Former safety Carnell Lake, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who played 10 seasons with the Steelers, is at the team's South Side facility today to interview for that position with Coach Mike Tomlin.

Lake is one of the team's all-time best safeties, recording 16 interceptions, 17 fumble recoveries and 25 sacks from 1989 to 1998. He also had five defensive touchdowns.

Lake was a secondary coach at his alma mater, UCLA, in 2009, but resigned after one season because of family reasons.

Horton left after the Super Bowl to become defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11061/1129061-66.stm

Lake was a great Steeler but someone who has one year of college ball cocahing experience and quit that job is not bringing a compelling resume to the table

Hayeksheroes
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
The steelers could suit him up and he'd still be better than McFadden and Gay.

tony hipchest
03-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Lake was a great Steeler but someone who has one year of college ball cocahing experience and quit that job is not bringing a compelling resume to the table

i think the recent success of darren perry and kevin green weigh heavilly on the consideration, not only with the steelers but teams across the league-

rod woodson named secondary coach with the raiders and deshea townsend with the cardinals. neither have any coaching experience but they have proven they can do one thing lake can- know every position in the 3-4 zone blitz scheme.

he should do fine. everyones gotta get their start somewhere.

thumper
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
[I][B]

Thank you. What I was thinking, exactly. Also, great players -
and Lake was great - usually don't make for very good
coaches. It is very rare. Our latest example is Singletary. I
don't think Mean Joe was ever a good coach. The problem
is former greats can't give their great physical talents to
those who they are coaching, and much of their former
greatness was from superior physical skill and inner drive -
neither of which can be taught.

tony hipchest
03-02-2011, 12:52 PM
The problem
is former greats can't give their great physical talents to
those who they are coaching, and much of their former
greatness was from superior physical skill and inner drive -
neither of which can be taught.

this is a myth.

the problem is that great players who make tens of millions of dollars playing a game and attending 3 hrs of practice a day, cant stomach working 12 hours a day for a fraction of the pay, when they can no longer play.

pete74
03-02-2011, 02:18 PM
i like the idea of Lake coaching our secondary

austinfrench76
03-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Love Lake! Hope this works out.

Farrior_roirraW
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
i think the recent success of darren perry and kevin green weigh heavilly on the consideration, not only with the steelers but teams across the league-

rod woodson named secondary coach with the raiders and deshea townsend with the cardinals. neither have any coaching experience but they have proven they can do one thing lake can- know every position in the 3-4 zone blitz scheme.

he should do fine. everyones gotta get their start somewhere.

:thumbsup:

This is good news. Hopefully he gets the job.

Steelboy84
03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Get it done boys.

Fire Arians
03-02-2011, 07:13 PM

while you surely are joking, this would prolly be true

fer522
03-02-2011, 07:20 PM

while you surely are joking, this would prolly be true

sad thing is... he was not joking :banging: