PDA

View Full Version : If Patriots could sign Moss, Steelers can N. Asomugha

Hayeksheroes
03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha says that he wants to play for a winning team. What better team than the Steelers? The Steelers were one shutdown CB away from a 7th superbowl title. No other elite team can say that. The upsides are huge.
Why compete for a job, when you can step into a starring role, not just a starting role.
Asomugha will turn 30 this year. What teams want to take a chance on a huge salary on a player that will be past his prime in a few years? The Steelers can afford to take that chance now. Also Asomugha will be able to tutor Butler and the rookie CB's. That will be huge for the years to come. The steelers should be able to pay less for Asomugha's services than other teams just like the Pats paid less for Moss.
Finally, the Steelers will free up one or two draft picks. If the steelers don't get Asomugha's, they are going to have to draft at least two CB's in the first 3 or four rounds to ensure they can get quality. The steelers also have issues at offensive line and defensive line.

I think you go out and get the best players available. The Steelers are not likely as in in the past to sign free agents. I think this year is different. Go after talent before you have to rebuild.

Atlanta Dan
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Of course Moss did not sign as a free agent, was regarded as damaged goods when the Raiders gave him away for a 4th round draft choice since he had quit on the Raiders, and agreed to actually restructure and reduce his salary while he rehabbed his reputation in New England (which worked for one sdeason - then Moss wanted to get paid and started taking off plays again in 2008)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2853116

Asomugha does not match any of those criteria - maybe the Steelers could not sign Ike Taylor before he became eligible for free agency because they are saving up to sign Asomugha, but then again maybe the Steelers $$ budgeted for CBs cannot match Tyalor's price, which certainly is lower than what Asomugha will be seeking

Steelers need to get younger on defense - if they do agree to a break the bank contract for a top shelf defender it will be with Timmons or Woodley, who play the LB positions that are the stars of the LeBeau 3-4

Dino 6 Rings
03-04-2011, 12:29 PM
It would really be a big help to sign a guy of that talent. Daydream at this point, we don't tend to throw money at free agents and are more apt to getting "bargains" then signing "super studs" off the free market.

He'd be great, maybe behind the scenes, the front office wants to make a move like that...but it would be different than anything they've done in the past. Bettis Hartings Farrior weren't considered "elite" til they got to the Steelers. Maybe Kevin Greene can be considered our last "hired gun" Where we throw money at a guy to bring him into the system.

Hayeksheroes
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I think you offer a fair deal to get him and then let him choose.
Take less to be on a winning team or take more to be on a losing team?

Sixburgher
03-04-2011, 01:01 PM
How many Super Bowls did the Patriots win with Moss?

thumper
03-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Stop the madness. Pgh never makes signings like paying for
the top CB in the league. It just never happens. If you want to entertain
this kind of thing, let's also discuss what it would be like if we could
fly like birds by flapping our arms. It's just fantasy talk; why bother?

MDSteel15
03-04-2011, 01:16 PM

You can if you flap REALLLLLY fast

Hayeksheroes
03-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Asomugha was on NFL Network saying he wants to play for a winning team, not a losing one like the Raiders. So, the Steelers should give him the opportunity to live up to his wish.

thumper
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
How many Super Bowls did the Patriots win with Moss?

Zero. But they did go 18-0 with him. Look at what he's done
since they booted him: not a gad dumb thing.

SoCalFan
03-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Exactly what should be done!!!

BigRick
03-04-2011, 10:24 PM

It's worth a shot if he says no nothing lost. If he says yes maybe a big gain. Like yousay let him decide. :tt03:

silver & black
03-05-2011, 09:59 PM

Take him. He's useless to us. He doesn't win or lose games for us. Personally, I think he's overrated.

I'd love to see how he fairs when he has to play the best WR every game. He only plays one side of the field for the Raiders. No one throws to that side of the field because they don't HAVE to. Nnamdi has gotten burned enough times when the opposing QB has thrown at him.

If he decides to go elsewhere, cool, I'll wish him the best. My personal opinion is, he will be exposed for the "slightly better than average player" that he really is.

mcg24
03-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Ummm, we won't sign Asomugha.

The Steelers don't sign big name free agents and we have been successful...why change now? Wouldn't make sense at all.

pete74
03-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Take him. He's useless to us. He doesn't win or lose games for us. Personally, I think he's overrated.

I'd love to see how he fairs when he has to play the best WR every game. He only plays one side of the field for the Raiders. No one throws to that side of the field because they don't HAVE to. Nnamdi has gotten burned enough times when the opposing QB has thrown at him.

If he decides to go elsewhere, cool, I'll wish him the best. My personal opinion is, he will be exposed for the "slightly better than average player" that he really is.

you obviously never watched him play football. he has been one of the best shutdown corners in the NFL for a long time. if you consider him average then what do you consider Ike, Mcfadden and Gay? rookies at best?

silver & black
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
you obviously never watched him play football. he has been one of the best shutdown corners in the NFL for a long time. if you consider him average then what do you consider Ike, Mcfadden and Gay? rookies at best?

Well, of course I haven't watched him play football. :rolleyes:

Did you not read what I wrote? Nnamdi only plays one side of the field. He, himself has said he isn't comfortable on the other side. Therefore, he doesn't always cover the best WR on the opposing team. He gets thrown at a lot less than other top CB's in the league because the other side hasn't been all that difficult to have success against. When you don't get thrown at (very often), it isn't hard to have great stats. Is he a talented player?... yes. Do I think he's one of the best?... not as much as non-Raiders fans seem to think.

You see, I have actually watched him play a lot more than fans of other teams have, because, well... I'm a Raiders fan! :wink02:

I never said Nnamdi sucks. But, I'm not about to say he's the best out there. That still remains to be seen. Untill Routt can hold his side of the field solidly, on a consistent basis, Nnamdi will not be challenged very often. Trust me, Nnamdi has gotten burned his fair share.

Do I want Nnamdi to stay?... of course! Will I be ready to kill myself he decides to leave?... hardly. I might feel differently if the Raiders were contending, but they aren't. Nnamdi is a luxury player for a contending team. The Raiders really don't need him. They need solid O line help more than they need a CB that commands QB money.

Fire Arians
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
moss was signed on the cheap. that won't happen with asomugha

Fire Arians
03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Well, of course I haven't watched him play football. :rolleyes:

Did you not read what I wrote? Nnamdi only plays one side of the field. He, himself has said he isn't comfortable on the other side. Therefore, he doesn't always cover the best WR on the opposing team. He gets thrown at a lot less than other top CB's in the league because the other side hasn't been all that difficult to have success against. When you don't get thrown at (very often), it isn't hard to have great stats. Is he a talented player?... yes. Do I think he's one of the best?... not as much as non-Raiders fans seem to think.

You see, I have actually watched him play a lot more than fans of other teams have, because, well... I'm a Raiders fan! :wink02:

I never said Nnamdi sucks. But, I'm not about to say he's the best out there. That still remains to be seen. Untill Routt can hold his side of the field solidly, on a consistent basis, Nnamdi will not be challenged very often. Trust me, Nnamdi has gotten burned his fair share.

Do I want Nnamdi to stay?... of course! Will I be ready to kill myself he decides to leave?... hardly. I might feel differently if the Raiders were contending, but they aren't. Nnamdi is a luxury player for a contending team. The Raiders really don't need him. They need solid O line help more than they need a CB that commands QB money.

honestly i don't think any cornerback is worth that kind of money. the only player on any team that should be making over 10 mill a year is a star quarterback