PDA

View Full Version : Cowher getting soft?

gratefuled
05-12-2006, 02:29 AM
I think Cowher has softened a bit when it comes to playing younger players( rookies and 2nd year) over older vets in the last few years., even though the emergence of Ben was a necessity. I have been a steeler fan for a long time and I can?t remember this much youth getting their chances early ( Ben, Parker, Trai, Bmac, Miller). I hope this bodes well for holmes getting a chance to start next season if he proves he can in camp.

clevestinks
05-12-2006, 04:43 AM
I think with regards to Parker, we all wanted to see him play more, because we saw his speed and potential, and Cowher tryed to keep the reins on him until all the injuries. I hope its not softer, just a wiser Cowher.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-12-2006, 05:07 AM
I think Cowher has softened a bit when it comes to playing younger players( rookies and 2nd year) over older vets in the last few years., even though the emergence of Ben was a necessity. I have been a steeler fan for a long time and I can?t remember this much youth getting their chances early ( Ben, Parker, Trai, Bmac, Miller). I hope this bodes well for holmes getting a chance to start next season if he proves he can in camp.

The only softening you'll see from Cowher is for his daughters. If playing younger players improves your chances to win then so be it.

Actually I completely disagree with the assessment. Willie Parker went off against Buffalo the year before last. What a game. The Bills needed a home win to get into the playoffs and the Steelers needed rest. What happens? Parker dazzles and spins his way to an unbelievable 100+ yard game. Cowher shows his penchant for youth by sitting Parker until the following season.

And if you don't play Ben at QB then who?

Essex isn't a lock. I don't hear horns tooting.

And Heath Miller...I'll put money right now that Todd Christensen-esque accolades are in his future.

"I can?t remember this much youth getting their chances early "

Cowher is teamed with Kevin Colbert and Omar Kahn. Their success is emboldening them to have more confidence in the players they bring in. It's not soft it's business. IMO

NJarhead
05-12-2006, 07:31 AM

I think you may be reading into something that isn't there. It may have something to do with the talent he's dealing with and what his position coaches tell him. Remember also that for a few years we didn't draft all that well and Cowher now has a solid core of players, where before we were constantly getting raped by FA (Mid-late 90's). We've managed to keep our own the last few years and use the draft to plug in good talent. Remember last year we only signed one UFA from another team (C. Wilson) and we've been drafting better than most any other team in the NFL.

Steelcrazyafterall
05-12-2006, 08:39 AM
While Cowher has always seemed to favor the vets, there is significant history of rookies starting and/or contributing, so I don't see the current stance as anything different. Hampton, Bell, Randle El, Plax, hell, even Troy Edwards were all on the field early and often for example.

83-Steelers-43
05-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Cowher has always favored his vets. That's been known for a long time in Pittsburgh. With Ben it was understandable. With Miller, he's your first round pick, he should be in there and starting. Trai Essex proved that he can definately play the position. McFadden looked very solid and I would take him over Colclough in a second. Soft? No. Knows what he is doing? Yes. This past season proved it. No worries here.

clevestinks
05-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Players are stronger and faster than ever, get what you can out of them.

Cowher soft?? Just doesn`t sound right! LOL

gratefuled
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Putting the best team on the field is always the goal. Even if it is young talent. But Cowher has prefered to play vets when given the choice. I like the the idea that he is giving the best players oppurtunities now as opposed to some of his choices in the past.

Cowher's not soft, but he is making more long term choices by giving youth more playing time. I'm not saying through all the rookies into the fire but you can see a rookies potential for the future if they can get alittle playing time.

blackvelvet
05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, I personally think it's a good mix out there. Plus who would you rather have play QB: Ben or Maddox?

But I sort of agree. Since Ben came, it seems like a lot of young players are getting more of a chance.

coachspeak33
05-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Maybe this fact has something to do with colbert's influence on draft selections versus draft choices made by donahoe!!!!!!!