PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire Lake as secondary coach

mesaSteeler
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Steelers hire Lake as secondary coach
Monday, March 07, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin has hired Carnell Lake as his new secondary coach to replace Ray Horton, now defensive coordinator in Arizona.

Lake was a five-time Pro Bowl safety for the Steelers in the 1990s.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11066/1130353-100.stm#ixzz1FwqEpWzz

kirklandrules
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
There are 3 main things I like about Lake:

He played football like a true Steeler and will no doubt expect the same of his players
He has great experience as both a CB and S which the players should respect
He was a very bright player and I would wager his success had as much to do with his brain as it did his natural talent

For point #3, I think this is where Lake has an edge as a coach over Rod Woodson. I think Woodson had some of the best talent at CB in the history of the league and made up for any mistakes with this talent (not that he was stupid by any means). But it's Lake's brains that we need and hopefully those brains will translate into his being a great coach.

Farrior_roirraW
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
:tt03:

stb_steeler
03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Ive allways liked Carnell Lake......he was one of my favs back in those days.....

Atlanta Dan
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Glad to see Lake return to the Steelers - he was one of several great players on that mid-1990s Steelers team that would have won a few Lombardis with a decent QB who left the fold because the Rooneys would not or could not sign several free agents until they got the taxpayers to fund Heinz Field.

Safety was his true calling but he did good work at CB after Rod Woodson blew out his knee in 1995 and once again in 1997 when the Steelers screwed up by signing Donnell Woolford to replace Woodson

SteelCityMom
03-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Excellent news...wish him the best here! :tt02:

Fire Arians
03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
awesome. he was my favorite player back in the day. love to see him back!

pete74
03-07-2011, 06:36 PM
great to see him back

mesaSteeler
03-07-2011, 08:40 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Monday, March 07, 2011
Steelers hire Lake

The Steelers have filled the lone spot on their coaching staff by hiring Carnell Lake to coach defensive backs.

Lake, a five-time Pro Bowl player with the Steelers, replaces Ray Horton, who was hired as Arizona's defensive coordinator.

It's an interesting move in that Lake was always considered one of the more cerebral players when he was with the Steelers. He also holds the team record for sacks by a defensive back in one season.

mesaSteeler
03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Lake Named DBs Coach

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Mar 7, 2011
http://pit.scout.com/2/1053969.html

Carnell Lake is coming home.

The 43-year-old former star strong safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers was today named the team's defensive backs coach, replacing Ray Horton, who took a job as defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.

Lake played for the Steelers from 1989 to 1998 and was named to the Pro Bowl four times. With the Steelers, Lake had 21.5 sacks, 16 fumble recoveries and 16 interceptions. He was a game-changer whose play in a 1996 win over Jacksonville -- a sack of Mark Brunell, forced fumble, and 90-yard touchdown return -- was cited by Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin when he signed Lake away on the first day of free agency in 1999.

However, Lake was still slowed by a foot injury that plagued his last season with the Steelers. After the 1999 season, Lake underwent three surgeries and sat out the 2000 season. He finished his career with the Baltimore Ravens and played his final game at Heinz Field in the Ravens' 2001 playoff loss to the Steelers.

Lake's father Eugene lived in Midland, Pa., but went off to play football at the University of Utah and Carnell was born in Salt Lake City.

Lake's father moved back to his Western Pa. family, but Carnell went to Los Angeles and attended college at UCLA. As a linebacker, he led the Pac-10 in tackles for loss as a junior. The Steelers drafted him with the 34th pick in 1989 and Lake started the opener at strong safety. In the book Men of Steel Lake said that the key to earning the coaching staff's trust that preseason was that "I watched Rod Woodson like a hawk" and "picked it up like a sponge."

Lake broke in under coordinator Rod Rust and coach Chuck Noll, but perhaps his most important role was orchestrated by coordinator Dick LeBeau and coach Bill Cowher in 1995.

After Woodson was injured in the opener, the Steelers sunk to 3-4 that year before Lake was moved to left cornerback. The Steelers won eight straight games to make the playoffs, and in the first round Lake intercepted a pass.

The Steelers made the Super Bowl that season, a game in which Woodson returned from his ACL injury. Lake moved back and forth between strong safety and cornerback thhroughout the remainder of his Steelers career.

Lake retired to Jacksonville after the 2001 season and spent time with his wife and three children. He returned to the game in 2009 as the cornerbacks coach at UCLA. He was recently praised by draft prospect Rahim Moore during Moore's combine press conference, but Lake resigned his position after only one season due to "family reasons."

GameTime55
03-07-2011, 08:44 PM
This is great to hear. He was one of my faves from back then. Definitely knew how to play Steeler football. lets coach up em Carnell.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ucla/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/2788740.jpeg

Cant wait to see him in a black and gold shirt. We seen him in a jersey. :tt02:

Wallace108
03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
This is great news. Get ready for the Lake Effect.

BKAnthem
03-07-2011, 11:37 PM
there is a tear in my eye...

figg
03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Let's get this man a ring! :thumbsup:

steelcity1974
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Too bad he can't suit up...even a great coach can't fix our CB issues. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a complete transformation of the secondary and we pick up some better players.

Merchant
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Awesome news! :thumbsup:

pancake
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I might be the only one, but I would have rather had Rod Woodson. Not that I am against Lake, but I would have prefered old number 26...