PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace and the NFL’s Top Wide Receivers

mesaSteeler
03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Mike Wallace and the NFL’s Top Wide Receivers
Posted on March 8, 2011 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/mike-wallace-nfls-top-wide-receivers/

ESPN.com is spending the offseason compiling player power rankings and on Tuesday the top wide receivers were examined. Topping the list is Houston’s Andre Johnson (no argument on this end), followed closely by Larry Fitzgerald and Roddy White. No Steelers receiver made the top-10, but Mike Wallace did come in at No. 12, just behind New England’s Wes Welker and just ahead of New York’s Santonio Holmes.

He received just three top-10 votes.

Here’s what James Walker, the AFC North Blogger for ESPN, had to say regarding Wallace…

Wallace has just one year as a starter and still has to improve in certain areas before he’s considered an elite receiver. His route-running on short and intermediate passes is getting better, but it’s nowhere near some of the best at his position.

Nothing we haven’t heard or read before, so it is what it is. Still, even for all of Wallace’s perceived flaws (like being, in Mike Tomlin’s motivational words, a one-trick pony), he has been by just about any objective measure one of the most productive wide receivers in the NFL over his first two seasons, especially when it comes to making big plays.

He has finished in the top-two in Yards Per Catch his first two years and has been in the top-four in Football Outsiders DVOA (value per play — we reference it a lot, and in case you’re not familiar, you can read all about it right here) in his first two years, including a league-best 48.9 percent mark in 2010. The gap between Wallace and the No. 2 receiver in that area, Colts receiver Austin Colie, was as large as the gap between Collie and the No. 27 receiver, Marques Colston. Insanity. DVOA certainly isn’t perfect and it’s not an end-all, be-all, but it does help paint a nice picture.

Wallace can certainly get better and become a more “well-rounded receiver”, and that has to be a scary thought for the rest of the AFC. As the 2010 season progressed he started to become more of a factor on the short and intermediate routes, turning 10-yard passes into 40-and 50-yard gains.

The one name on the list that bothers me the most is Denver’s Brandon Lloyd. If Wallace gets punished in part for only being a one-year starter, Lloyd should get punished for being complete garbage for most of the first eight years of his career. A free-agent failure in Washington, Lloyd caught on in Denver in 2010 in an offense with no running game that was constantly playing from behind, a great recipe for huge catch and yardage totals. He received five top-10 votes, including a pair in the top-five. One voter put him in at No. 2 behind only Roddy White, which seems a bit odd. For me, I’d like to see that 2010 wasn’t a fluke (it’s certainly looking like the outlier of his career at this point) before I put him among the NFL’s elite.

.24lockdown
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Wallace can be THEE single best receiver in the game. His potential is that crazy. Think he's good now? He may have exploded out of the gate for his first two years, but i think he will explode again into the 'elite WR's' of the NFL in a couple years.

Oh yeah and he would have gotten SB MVP had we ended up scoring on that final drive. (Yes I know he could have caught that one on 4th down, but it was a hard catch.)

SH-Rock
03-08-2011, 10:06 PM
I hope his dropped catch in the Super Bowl will motivate him to improve himself.

Wallace108
03-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Mike Wallace did come in at No. 12, just behind New England’s Wes Welker and just ahead of New York’s Santonio Holmes.
Wallace is rated higher than Holmes? Say it isn't so. :sofunny:

Fire Arians
03-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Wallace is rated higher than Holmes? Say it isn't so. :sofunny:

santonio who?

steelerchad
03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I think the article is a good one. Wallace ranks very high in production per touch or catch. The question is how do we get him more touches or catches? He ranks very low in overall catches compared to the rest of the top receivers. I like to spread the ball around to whoever is open, but Wallace's stat line was like 3 catches for 103 yards and 1 TD on a regular basis last year. What happens if we get that # of cathces up to averaging 6 or 7 per game.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I keep seeing this Santonio name pop up, lol

As per Wallace, every WR will drop passes. Wallaces growth did show in the SB in the final drive when he was raising his hands on what to do. that takes experience, but use your brain... run man run, lol Ben will find you.. Get to the marker and get the 1st down on the route, not raise your hands and say im clueless, lol

He will get better and better..

Atlanta Dan
03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Wallace played against three good defenses in the playoffs, but my expectation the 2011 playoffs were going to be his showcase to be a top shelf WR (as occurred with Lynn Swann in 1975) did not occur.

Steelers coaches (aka Arians) were anonymously quoted by the P-G that Wallace was having trouble getting separation on anything other than burning straight down the field in the post-season, which was the explanation for all of the screen passes.

But Wallace definitekly has more upside than Holmes - IMO a lockout would hurt someone such as Wallace who presumably wants to work on raising his game to the next level this offseason

steelerchad
03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Wallace played against three good defenses in the playoffs, but my expectation the 2011 playoffs were going to be his showcase to be a top shelf WR (as occurred with Lynn Swann in 1975) did not occur.

Steelers coaches (aka Arians) were anonymously quoted by the P-G that Wallace was having trouble getting separation on anything other than burning straight down the field in the post-season, which was the explanation for all of the screen passes.

But Wallace definitekly has more upside than Holmes - IMO a lockout would hurt someone such as Wallace who presumably wants to work on raising his game to the next level this offseason

I'm guessing he has alot of trouble getting seperation on routes where he's not using his flat out top speed or screens at or behind the line of scrimmage. He doesn't seem to be targeted much on the intermediate routes except in the S.B.