PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Troy's Achilles was a problem

SteelCityMom
03-10-2011, 10:41 AM
No surprises here...

Gerry: Troy's Achilles was a problem (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108579-gerry-troys-achilles-was-a-problem)
Thursday, 10 March 2011 11:22
Written by Gerry Dulac
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108579-gerry-troys-achilles-was-a-problem

If it looked as though Troy Polamalu was really hurting in the postseason, especially the Super Bowl, it’s because he was.

Sources have told me that Polamalu was playing with an injured Achilles tendon that robbed him of his trademark burst and explosiveness – an injury that occurred on his 45-yard interception return for touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals on Dec. 12.

Despite the injury, Polamalu remained in the Bengals game and even had a second interception in the fourth quarter to help seal the victory. But he was never the same after that.

Polamalu missed two games after he injured his Achilles before returning for the season finale against the Cleveland Browns. In that game, Polamalu had an interception on the first series – his seventh of the season – that led to a quick touchdown and began a 41-9 rout of the Browns.

However, in three postseason games, Polamalu did not have an interception and combined for 10 tackles, including only three in the Super Bowl XLV loss to the Green Bay Packers. Polamalu would practice only one day a week – on Fridays – in an attempt to rest his injury and allow him to play in a game.

The good news: Polamalu does not need surgery to repair the problem. He is still getting treatment and rehabbing his injury in Los Angeles and is under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who is friendly with the Steelers medical staff.

Before the Bengals game, Polamalu was already bothered by an injury to the soleus muscle, or calf area, of the same leg. But, during his interception runback, he pulled up just short of the goalline when he injured his Achilles, forcing him to dive for the pylon.

SoCalFan
03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
It seems at times when he makes big plays like that pick,he goes all out with 120%.He makes moves and does things that seem to be beyond the ability of a mortal human.Thats why he gets injured.Thats why I love this guy!Wouldnt it be nice to reach the playoffs with him being 100% for a change!

Atlanta Dan
03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
That helpfully expalins when the Achilles injury occurrred - I had assumed the Achiles injury was the initial injury in the New England game, which was aggravated in the Bengals game - instead turns out there were 2 injuries

Troy still had his burst when he caused the Flacco fumble the week before the Cincty game but after the pick six in the Bengals game was never the same for ther rest of the season - I guess it is fortunate it dd not tear completely and hopefully a full recovery is possible

vasteeler
03-10-2011, 11:01 AM
i hope he is able to recover from that. hopefully his speed is not impacted next year

mesaSteeler
03-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I still wish Troy had sat out that last game against the Clownies. Another weeks rest for those injuries would not have done any harm.

DanRooney
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Troy...Achilles...the irony :popcorn:

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/wl/l9/92/ad_pitt_29.jpg

steelerchad
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I still wish Troy had sat out that last game against the Clownies. Another weeks rest for those injuries would not have done any harm.

Agreed. If those Rats had lost we would have rested everybody. Our vets would have all gotten an extra 2 weeks with the bye week.

stb_steeler
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
We all knew something wasnt right with Troy, he just didnt seem his old self. Wonder why it was hush/hush all this time tho. Hope he recovers 100% from achilles, some never do.We know he had Achilles problem but it wasnt talked about during playoffs or SB.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Obvious....