PDA

View Full Version : ’Weather forecast iffy (Meriweather's shooting)

mesaSteeler
03-13-2011, 12:05 PM
’Weather forecast iffy
By Karen Guregian and Ian R. Rapoport
Saturday, March 12, 2011 - Updated 1 day ago
http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1322684&srvc=sports&position=4

Given Brandon Meriweather’s alleged involvement in a shooting in Florida late last month, one has to wonder about his future as a Patriot.

Coach Bill Belichick and the organization must be pondering what to do with the two-time Pro Bowl safety. Guilty or innocent of the crime of which he’s being accused — shooting two men — it’s one more incident on his resume that makes you scratch your head.

While there was nothing new to report on the investigation yesterday, with Meriweather apparently not yet questioned by police about the Feb. 28 incident, there could be some fallout on the football front down the road.

How will the Patriots [team stats] react when the facts eventually come to light? (BeliCeats comments will be that "this is fault of the Steelers and I demand compensation because Merriweahter is a lying, cheating, punk like me and I'm proud of him. This is the fault of those goody goody Rooney's and I want them punished. " - mesa)

Looking at this situation alone, even if Meriweather was trying to break up a fight instead of being the actual shooter, as one account has portrayed the incident, that won’t necessarily get him off the hook.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office, which hasn’t brought any charges, confirmed Meriweather was present at the near-fatal shooting of his paternal cousin, Quentin Taylor, and a second man, Nico Stanley, outside a party in his hometown of Apopka. Meriweather has offered to give his account to investigators. That apparently won’t happen until Monday at the earliest.

Common sense suggests if there was trouble at the Blue Jeans Lounge, which is where the party started, it wasn’t the smartest idea to continue on at a house party, where the alleged shooting took place at 2:10 a.m., according to the incident report.

Tim “Pops” Bridges, who raised Meriweather, believes the safety will ultimately be cleared of any wrongdoing. Bridges was more concerned about the negative publicity having an adverse effect.

“I’m only worried to a point where this type of publicity has the potential to damage his career,” Bridges said. “That’s the only thing that bothers me, but as far as any allegations of wrongdoing, or any involvement in wrongdoing, I’m not worried about that. I know it’s not true.”

Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison , who has been a mentor to Meriweather, cautions about any rush to judgment. By the same token, even if Meriweather is proven innocent in terms of the shooting, as a professional athlete, it wasn’t the wisest choice being in a potentially volatile situation.

“There’s nothing wrong with a grown man going out to a party and having a good time. It’s the offseason, he’s not obligated to do anything, but keep his nose clean, whether it’s 2 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 4 o’clock,” Harrison said. “He’s a grown man. He can stay out all night if he wants. But with that, because he’s a player in the National Football League, he has to understand he’s a high-profile guy, he has to use a certain level of discretion. He can’t just do anything. He’s not the normal guy. I’ve always been taught, anything after 3 o’clock is nothing but trouble . . . you have to be smart enough not to get caught up in situations like this.”

Former NFL coach Herm Edwards, now an ESPN analyst, had a rule that nothing good happens after midnight.

“There’s places you go in, it doesn’t look right, it doesn’t smell right, it doesn’t feel right, then it’s time for you to go,” Edwards said. “I don’t know the situation (Meriweather) was involved in. But I think coach (Belichick) will look at all the information, gather it, find out exactly what happened. . . . Now, if it turns out he was the peacemaker, that’s great. But here again, I know it’s the offseason, but it’s 2 o’clock in the morning. That’s the problem I got.”

The 27-year-old Meriweather has a year left on his contract.

(In response to this completely unfounded allegation against a New England Patriot the grossly overpaid Roger Goodell (salary $1/year) has decided to fine Big Ben a year's salary and to award all Steeler draft picks to New England in response to Belicheats demand for compensation. Goodell, when questioned on his ruling said that "I know Big Ben was not there but the Patriots can do no wrong. Anyway I need Big Ben salary to make up for my stupid publicity stunt of slashing my salary to one dollar." - mesa)