PDA

View Full Version : Ward: Racism toward Asians isn't new

mesaSteeler
03-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Ward: Racism toward Asians isn't new
Tue, Mar 15.1:30 PM ET
by Lynn Hoppes
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6220265

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, who was born in South Korea to a Korean mother and an African-American father, isn't surprised that racism toward the Asian community still exists.

"I've been dealing with this my whole life. I still remember being called the Jackie Chan of football," Ward said from his home in Atlanta. "I can't believe people today still want to say negative things about another race. People need to be more sensitive."

The list of people taking negative shots toward the victims of the recent Japanese earthquake and tsunami is unfortunately growing.

Conservative commentator Glenn Beck rationalized that the national disaster was God's work, saying, "I'll tell you this there's a message being sent." Cappie Pondexter of the WNBA's New York Liberty agreed, tweeting and later apologizing for saying, "What if God was tired of the way they treated their own people in there own country! Idk guys he makes no mistakes." And comedian Gilbert Gottfried was fired Monday as the voice of the Aflac duck after tweeting, "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them."

Ward just shakes his head thinking about the devasation and how the tragedy has affected so many lives.

"Imagine if those people had said the same thing about Haitians or African-Americans? All hell would break loose," Ward said. "But when it comes to the Asian community, it's easy to crack jokes because no one is coming out of the woodwork to defend those people."

Ward, who was appointed by President Obama to his Advisory Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, said people should think before speaking.

"I'm not going to be the next Martin Luther King and say what's right and what's wrong. Am I OK with it? No. There are just some things I can't control," Ward said. "I was just taught that you should treat someone like you want to be treated. I wish they would think about it if the shoe were on the other foot."

PhantomJB93
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but a lot of people of other races seem to go out of their way to call out other people for being "racist." I really don't think racism is anywhere near as prevalent in our society as those people who accuse others of racism tend to think, sometimes I think they're just overly-sensitive about all this.

steelerchad
03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I think rasicm is thankfully dying off in this country. As I see my kids grow up, they hardly see it at all. Race is a non factor for them. When you look at it from generation to generation it is less and less with each one.

MattsMe
03-15-2011, 11:05 PM
I hate green people.

OX1947
03-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Glenn Beck is a (bleep) idiot moron piece of (bleep). How the (bleep) do you know what God wants and does moron? And Godfrey, come on dude, little too early for those kind of jokes. Innocent people died, nothing justifies that.

BigRick
03-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Glenn Beck is a (bleep) idiot moron piece of (bleep). How the (bleep) do you know what God wants and does moron? And Godfrey, come on dude, little too early for those kind of jokes. Innocent people died, nothing justifies that.

I have to agree with you. I feel for the people of Japan. It's a fact of life we live on a violent planet. Eartquakes happen all the time, just this time it was a really bad one. As far as racism goes it has and always be with us unfortunately. :helmet:

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2011, 12:47 AM
I hate green people.
http://www.mydisguises.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/hulk-tv.jpg

caplovestroyp43
03-16-2011, 12:48 AM
<<Conservative commentator Glenn Beck rationalized that the national disaster was God's work, saying, "I'll tell you this … there's a message being sent." <<

Perhaps...because I heard that Japan had turned their backs on Israel. That is a no no! Nonetheless, it's still a horrific, horrific tragety I don't care how you want to add it up. My heart goes out to each and every one in this awful time. :-(

MasterOfPuppets
03-16-2011, 12:51 AM
here's the thing... if hines wasn't part asian , he wouldn't give a rats ass about asians...:noidea:

its like christopher reeves ... did he care about stem cell research BEFORE he became paralyzed ? nope

SteelCityMom
03-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Agreed on Glenn Beck, and somewhat on Gottfried.

This isn't the first time Gilbert has cracked a joke too soon...he's definitely not one to hold his tongue with his jokes and his standup is always full of dark comedy and insult comedy. It's definitely not for everyone.

3 weeks after 9/11 he began a monologue at a roast for Hugh Hefner by joking that he had intended to catch a plane, but couldn't get a direct flight because "they said they have to connect with the Empire State Building first."

Wallace108
03-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I want to agree with those who are saying that racism is fading away. Although I have to wonder if that's really the case or if people have become more conscious about what's acceptable to say in public. :noidea:

Either way, racism will never be completely gone. You're always going to have people who will dislike anyone different than themselves and aren't afraid to say what they're thinking. And you'll always have people who make insensitive jokes at the expense of others (although they might just be more ignorant than racist).

Neil-Still-Rules-14
03-16-2011, 02:21 AM
The thing is, none of those are really cases of racism. They weren't like..."I'm so glad they aren't white people" or "Those darn Asians deserved this" or anything like that. Beck and Pondexter both made the evangelical claims that God is punishing Japan for civil rights violations. Gottfried was just making a joke. Not aimed specifically at "Asians".

In fact, Beck praised the Japanese people for their ingenuity during the disaster and said Americans should learn how to prepare as well as they did.

MattsMe
03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
The thing is, none of those are really cases of racism.

:thumbsup:

We have a winner.

Racism sells better than sex these days. The writer should be ashamed of himself.

Fire Arians
03-16-2011, 03:06 AM
I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but a lot of people of other races seem to go out of their way to call out other people for being "racist." I really don't think racism is anywhere near as prevalent in our society as those people who accuse others of racism tend to think, sometimes I think they're just overly-sensitive about all this.

maybe true but if you ever had to live as a minority in the south, it ain't pretty. racism is still plenty alive and well in some places in the US

cloppbeast
03-16-2011, 11:08 AM
And Godfrey, come on dude, little too early for those kind of jokes. Innocent people died, nothing justifies that.

I agree. His joke wasn't funny; it was unwarranted, insensitive, and hurtful. But racist? I don't think so.

SteelersinCA
03-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Perhaps...because I heard that Japan had turned their backs on Israel. That is a no no!

Please say you're joking.