PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft Round Up

mesaSteeler
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
(Ah hell, I put this in wrong forum. Sorry about that. I must not be feeling well tonight. Admins please move it. - mesa)

Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft Round Up
Posted on March 16, 2011 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/pittsburgh-steelers-mock-draft/

Leading up to April’s draft we’ll take an occasional look around the web and update you on a list of mock drafts and which players people have going to the Steelers. This is the first such update. We’re searching the Internet so you don’t have to…

Pittsburgh Steelers Mock Draft Round Up
Site Pick School (Pos.)
Mel Kiper Danny Watkins Baylor (Guard)
CBS Derek Sherrod Mississippi State (Tackle)
Sports Illustrated Aaron Williams Texas (Cornerback)
Mocking The Draft Martez Wilson Illinois (Linebacker)
Draft Countdown Mike Pouncey Florida (Guard)
Walter Football Martez Wilson Illinois (Linebacker)
NFL Draftdog Muhammed Wilkerson Temple (Defensive Tackle)
MyNFLDraft Benjamin Ijalana Villanova (Tackle)
DraftKing Brandon Harris Miami (Cornerback)
Football’sFuture Brandon Harris Miami (Cornerback)
Shutdown Corner Aaron Williams Texas (Cornerback)
NewNFLDraft Gabe Carimi Wisconsin (Tackle)

To the surprise of no one cornerbacks and offensive line are the consensus pick, with a defensive tackle and linebacker thrown in. And I don’t hate either of those positions. The Steelers are getting long in the tooth on defense, and as good as James Farrior has been on and off the field for the franchise, he is closer to the end of his playing career than he is the beginning. He rebounded nicely in 2010 from what was a down 2009, but he’s still going to be one of the oldest starting middle linebackers in the NFL in 2011. Wilson seems to be the type of athlete the Steelers like, even if he is a bit older (23) than most of their recent top picks. Still, at least he’s not 26 like Kiper’s guy is. Many players hit free agency at 26. Not the draft.

It’s a similar story on the defensive line in terms of age. With the exception of Ziggy Hood and Steve McClendon, everybody manning that position is north of 30 with some of them having durability concerns moving forward. These aren’t positions of immediate need as far as starters are concerned in 2011, but the only positions the Steelers could probably plug in a rookie starter as of this moment are cornerback (depending on what happens with Ike Taylor and William Gay in free agency) and right guard. Given how late right guards seem to be found in the draft across the league, it doesn’t appear to be a position that is in dire need of a first-round selection, unless you absolutely want the Pouncey brothers to be reunited.

(Repeat after me 10,000 times; We do not need another first or second round LB pick! - mesa)

ggoldman
03-16-2011, 09:41 PM
What if we cant afford Timmons, or Sylvester doesn't pan out to be Farrior's replacement?

mesaSteeler
03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
What if we cant afford Timmons, or Sylvester doesn't pan out to be Farrior's replacement?

What if Ike Taylor walks? What will do at CB? We can not keep spending 1st and 2nd round draft picks on the same position in every draft.

DanRooney
03-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Kiper's pick for us is wretched. No way in hell.

ricardisimo
03-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Kiper's pick for us is wretched. No way in hell.
You think? There are years when there's no guard taken at all in the first or even in the second round, and yet he has us taking the third or fourth-ranked guard in the first round. Because, you know, the Steelers overreach in the draft every single year. It's what they do. :rolleyes: Whatever.

PhantomJB93
03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
The people saying we'll take Danny Watkins or Martez Wilson are starting to drive me crazy, they're both huge reaches and horrible picks for us. :banging:

The ONLY way we should take a guard first is if it's Pouncey, otherwise the pick should 100% be OT or CB. Not to mention Watkins is obscenely old for a first round draft pick (turns 27 this year).

I'd be even more frustrated with Martez Wilson, we're set at linebacker and already have a promising prospect waiting in the wings to replace Farrior, and he's a reach too, I am 100% convinced he will not be anywhere near the "best player available" at 31 and he doesn't fill a need either so picking him would just be dumb.

Between Pouncey, Sherrod, Carimi, Harris, or Aaron Williams, I wouldn't mind any of them. Who I'd prefer of course depends on who's there when we pick, but if those are the 5 likeliest prospects for us to take I'm fine with any of them.