PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment

SteelCityMom
03-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 17, 2011

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is drawing attention to himself and not because of his costly fumble in Super Bowl XLV.

Mendenhall on Wednesday supported Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's analogy between the NFL and the slave trade.

"It is a lot deep than most people understand," Mendenhall posted on the social networking site Twitter. "Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

Peterson, a perennial All-Pro, fired the most controversial salvo between players and owners following the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

Players decertified as a union Friday after they could not reach a deal with the owners on a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners responded by locking out the players Saturday.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" Peterson told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. "People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money ... the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey without us, there's no football.'

"I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done."

Peterson's comments generated heavy criticism, including from some NFL players.

Mendenhall, however, stood behind Peterson in a series of tweets posted late Tuesday and yesterday.

Mendenhall declined an interview requested from the Tribune-Review through his agent, Mike McCartney. McCartney confirmed that Mendenhall authored the tweets that appeared on his official Twitter site.

The Steelers also declined comment.

Mendenhall, who was coming off a second straight 1,000-yard season, is an unlikely player in the firestorm Peterson started. He is generally reserved around the media.

But he did not back off his Twitter comments, firing back at those who were critical of him.

"If you look back and dissect what I said, I didn't say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel," he wrote. "I could break down how but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand."

Another Mendenhall tweet said: "Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant."

Twitter has become popular among professional athletes.

Among the Steelers who have active accounts on Twitter or Facebook, another social media website, include receiver Hines Ward, strong safety Troy Polamalu and outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Professional athletes' use of Twitter became a hot topic in November after Buffalo Bills receiver Steve Johnson dropped what would have been a game-winning touchdown pass against the Steelers. After the Steelers 19-16 overtime win, Johnson sent a tweet blaming God for his miscue.

That drew attention to the drawbacks the immediacy of social media.

Mendenhall is coming off one of the best seasons by a Steelers running back. He rushed for 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns.

However, he lost a fumble at a critical juncture of last month's Super Bowl.

It came when the Steelers, who had scored 14 unanswered points, were driving in the third quarter against the Green Bay Packers.

The Steelers, who were trailing 21-17 when Mendenhall fumbled, lost, 31-25.

Read more: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_727833.html#ixzz1GrtDMlUt

steelerchad
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Damn. Wish our guys wouldn't talk at all. Just get a deal done and then play football. I understand Mendy's comments might have been misinterpreted by some. But arguing with fans online is not a good thing.

kirklandrules
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Give me a break. The parallels are so weak and could be applied to every person who ever walked the face of the earth. This is why movie stars and athletes should just keep their thoughts to themselves. These players are treated far more special (starting at such and early age) than the general public. But the binds of entitlement obviously cut deep for them.

vasteeler
03-17-2011, 11:45 AM
huh.........didnt realize slaves made millions of dollars:noidea:

Atlanta Dan
03-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Well - I continued to cheer for the Steelers after Roethlisberger's idiotic behavior last March so I will continue to cheer for them after Mendenhall's idiotic comments quoted above - but what a moronic statement by Mendenhall - glad he graciously has agreed not to confuse us by explaining his position with "big words" we would not understand

NFLPA leaders must be pounding their collective heads against the wall when some of these players start talking :banging:

Further evidence that for many folks having a twitter account is not a good idea

ricardisimo
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Give me a break. The parallels are so weak and could be applied to every person who ever walked the face of the earth. This is why movie stars and athletes should just keep their thoughts to themselves. These players are treated far more special (starting at such and early age) than the general public. But the binds of entitlement obviously cut deep for them.
That's true, and I suspect that's part of his point. Some of us think that there's a fine line between slaves and wage-slaves. Having control over your work is arguably more important than making a lot of money.

kirklandrules
03-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Some of us think that there's a fine line between slaves and wage-slaves.

I hope there aren't too many that believe it's just a fine line. I've never been shackled, whipped and beaten, sold, imprisoned and forced into labor without the freedom to choose otherwise. However, I have studied history, including slavery, prisoners of war, apartheid, human rights abuses and class oppression. See, I actually enrolled, attended, completed assignments and obtained high grades in college courses that studied these atrocities (and have subsequently read several books, articles, etc as well just to keep up on these subjects since completing my college degree). It's insulting to anyone in the history of the world who had been in an enslaved position to think that these entitled and highly paid individuals (who society has consistently provided free passes for or a lowering of the bar when it comes to our laws, socially acceptable behavior and education standards) compare their labor situations with the plights of the oppressed. Just because you have to work for a living (like 99% of the people around the globe) doesn't mean you have experienced or paralleled slavery.

Anyways, I love football and love the Steelers. Yes, every now and then I think certain opinions are best left undeclared. And I say that knowing I've stuck my foot in my mouth numerous times. Maybe they should have drawn a parallel between football players and gladiators.

MasterOfPuppets
03-17-2011, 03:52 PM
It's insulting to anyone in the history of the world who had been in an enslaved position to think that these entitled and highly paid individuals (who society has consistently provided free passes for or a lowering of the bar when it comes to our laws, socially acceptable behavior and education standards) compare their labor situations with the plights of the oppressed. .
i was gonna say the same thing , but with less words...
him trying to draw this comparison , is just as disgusting as kellen winslow and the rest of the dregs of society calling themselves "soulja''s"

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, folks, it is easy to hate on the players because they are more successful and make more money than us. But lets stop to think for a minute.....keep in mind, I am not taking either the owners' or players' side-- I know nothing about all this financial talk so am not qualified to have an opinion.

But I think some of yall are attacking this thing from the wrong angle....I detect a definite sense of "eating the rich". Let me make an analogy using my own life as an example....

--------------------------------------------------------------

I was recently informed by my boss (offline), that my promotion he put me in for this spring, was approved by our HR department (and there was much celebration at home!). Since being hired on in April 2008, I have gotten nothing except 4.0 or greater evals, have nothing but he utmost respect from all my coworkers, peers, customers, and superiors. I am the silent employee who never complains, but is currently leading his whole group (of about 14 people) in trouble-ticket closures, by a huge margin, and always willing to help out a coworker. When they want things done right, they assign it to me.

IOW, I am a model employee. It was pretty much a known fact among all my peers that my promotion was overdue by about a year and a half.

Today, my boss informed me that all promotions for our department were pulled for this review cycle. So I will remain a junior engineer for at least another 6 months.....

If I had a union, I would go on strike and decertify or whatever too (like I said, I am not up to speed on all the NFL financial mumbo-jumbo). I got screwed, with no KY or Vaseline. Hey, but at least our company has more money to spend on opening more manufacturing facilities in China and Taiwan though....

Case in point? I made in the vicinity of $65-70k last year, great benefits, stock options, retirement fund, etc. Nothing to brag about at all, but it is more than a LOT of people in the U.S. make in a year (more than anybody in my family ever made-- I came from a poor, rural Pennsylvania family). I am always thankful for the great job and all the other blessings I have, but make no mistake-- I AM PISSED OFF, and with good reason.

However, what do you think would happen if I went on Twitter and started complaining about my plight, knowing that a bunch of out-of-work farmers and midwesterners from Iowa would be reading my Tweets? I bet you, I would hear a lot of the same things Mendenhall is hearing from his jealous fans right now....."heck, I wouldn't be complaining if I were making that kind of money...."

Some of yall are bagging on the players because they make millions of dollars-- wrong reason. Keep in mind the next time you complain about the treatment you get from your employer, that there are millions of people in Africa that would gladly trade places with you and will feel no sympathy when you complain about how your employer treats you.

Are we to assume that anyone who makes more than $_____ per annuum cannot complain when their employer tries to give them the shaft? Where do we draw the line? What is the minimum salary that is required for your complaining/going-on-strike rights get revoked by the public opinion?

SteelCityMom
03-17-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm not jealous of Mendy...ok, maybe a little, because I'd love to have that kind of money handed to me. But he is talented and he did work hard to get where he is today. I can respect that.

Saying what is happening parallels slavery though? Come on. Kirklandrules described it perfectly by saying that the comparison is extremely weak and that pretty much anyone who's ever had a job could make the same parallels (i.e. being "put up on the chopping block" when being evaluated for a job and during your job, bosses and owners making more than you do). That's about where the similarities end though.

I don't know what "big words" he would plan on using to justify making the comparison, but they wouldn't matter IMO. It was an ignorant, delusional thing to say. It'd be an ignorant, delusional thing for any normal American worker to say.

Are we to assume that anyone who makes more than $_____ per annuum cannot complain when their employer tries to give them the shaft?

Of course not. But would you ever compare the situation you described as being parallel to slavery? To me, that just makes people feel even less sorry for you, no matter what amount of money you make.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-17-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm not jealous of Mendy...ok, maybe a little, because I'd love to have that kind of money handed to me. But he is talented and he did work hard to get where he is today. I can respect that.

Saying what is happening parallels slavery though? Come on. Kirklandrules described it perfectly by saying that the comparison is extremely weak and that pretty much anyone who's ever had a job could make the same parallels (i.e. being "put up on the chopping block" when being evaluated for a job and during your job, bosses and owners making more than you do). That's about where the similarities end though.

I don't know what "big words" he would plan on using to justify making the comparison, but they wouldn't matter IMO. It was an ignorant, delusional thing to say. It'd be an ignorant, delusional thing for any normal American worker to say.

Of course not. But would you ever compare the situation you described as being parallel to slavery? To me, that just makes people feel even less sorry for you, no matter what amount of money you make.

I definitely hear what you are saying, SCMOM. Mendy & Peterson should have used some different terminology.....clearly, "slavery" was not the correct term of their situation. The whole "big words you wouldn't understand" did not help him out either....chances are, a large majority of us are a HECK OF A LOT brighter than the average NFL football player....

PhantomJB93
03-17-2011, 09:24 PM
C'mon man

TRH
03-17-2011, 10:28 PM
wow. unbelievable.
These guys have no idea what slavery was.

The more these ***holes talk....the more and more i'm siding with the owners.

Steelthe#1dynasty
03-17-2011, 11:54 PM

My thoughts exactly! This piece of sh** should shut his god damn mouth! Also, great players show up for big games. He'll never be as great as Franco and the rest of the 70's gang. I think I've had about enough of these entitled people.

As far as Mendy is concerned, the sooner he is off of our roster the better! I don't want to hear comments from these over-paid pricks when millions can't make a decent living in this country. I am fortune that I am currently employed with a decent paying job. I feel for my fellow Americans. Many of my good friends and family members are without jobs these days. I am sure many of you can share similar stories.

mesaSteeler
03-18-2011, 12:01 AM
wow. unbelievable.
These guys have no idea what slavery was.

I completely agree with you. I always knew that most NFL players were not all that bright but this slavery BS comment confirms it. This level of stupidity among the players does not bode well for this to be resolved quickly.

mesaSteeler
03-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Peterson plays the slave card
Cold, Hard Football Facts for March 17, 2011
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3691_Peterson_plays_the_slave_card.html

Pigskin Detention is traditionally reserved for misguided pigskin “pundits” who attempt to analyze football without the deadly accurate Cold, Hard Football Facts in their arsenal.

But today we induct a player: Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. You might have heard that Peterson said Tuesday of the NFL labor dispute: “It’s modern-day slavery, you know?”

Apparently, Peterson was not a history major at the University of Oklahoma.

His comments have already produced a huge backlash. So we're not going to pile on. Instead, here in Pigskin Detention, we like to highlight the absurd to embarrass the stupid and the misguided.

You know, people like Peterson or, in years past, like Warren Sapp, who have broken out “the slavery card” during disputes with management. Apparently, they confuse being young, famous and filthy rich with being an anonymous piece of human chattel.

Gee, and some people think our education system is broken.

So, to help with the education process, here’s a little summary of the difference between the life of a modern football player who has had everything handed to him merely by virtue of athletic talent, in this case Peterson, and the life of a slave, in this case Nat Turner. Both, you might say, had disputes with management.

CLAIM to FAME
Adrian Peterson: Ran for 1,925 yards as a freshman at Oklahoma in 2004 and was NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2007.

Nat Turner: Led slave rebellion in Virginia in 1831 that helped change the course of American history.

OCCUPATION
Adrian Peterson: Pro football player. Paid to play a boy's game 16 times each year in front of 75,000 screaming fans.

Nat Turner: Field hand. Not paid to pick tobacco every day except Sunday in front of a whip-wielding slave master.

EDUCATION
Adrian Peterson: Attended a major American university on the public dole, simply by virtue of his athletic talent.

Nat Turner: Taught himself how to read the Bible in a crude slave hut.

SALARY
Adrian Peterson: Makes about $7 million per year.

Nat Turner: Was fed gruel each day.

NICKNAME
Adrian Peterson: Purple Jesus, because he plays for a team whose colors are purple.

Nat Turner: The Prophet, because he had Biblical visions of freedom for slaves.

RESIDENCE
Adrian Peterson: Resides in a palatial suburban home in tony Eden Prairie, Minnesota, with a bathroom for every day of the week.

Nat Turner: Resided in a sparse wood hut with no air conditioning or plumbing.

WAS FOUND
Adrian Peterson: Setting records as a schoolboy in Palestine, Texas.

Nat Turner: Hiding in a dirt hole like Saddam Hussein in Jerusalem, Virginia.

FACT THEIR FANS WOULD LIKE TO FORGET
Adrian Peterson: Ran 20 times for just 77 yards as mighty Oklahoma laid an egg against Boise State in the great 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Nat Turner: Killed women and children during his uprising.

GRAVE INJUSTICE
Adrian Peterson: Was locked out of the Vikings' luxurious headquarters.

Nat Turner: Was whipped, beheaded, drawn and quartered. Ouch.

LIFE in PRINT
Adrian Peterson: His story was chronicled in “Adrian Peterson, Superstars of Pro Football Series” by Stephen Currie. It was read by a bunch of 12-year-old boys in Minnesota.

Nat Turner: His story was reprised in “The Confessions of Nat Turner” by William Stryon. It won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1968.

LEGACY
Adrian Peterson: His performances may make him the best running back in Vikings history.

Nat Turner: His failed rebellion sparked a violent backlash, executions and a reactionary crackdown against the rights of freed blacks and proved a major setback for the growing anti-slavery movement of the 1820s and 1830s.

But, you know, other than that, not much difference between playing in the NFL and being a slave.

SteelCityMom
03-18-2011, 12:29 AM
There's too many big words in that article.

ricardisimo
03-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Maybe they should have drawn a parallel between football players and gladiators.
The gladiators were slaves, last I checked. Keep reading your history, and you'll find a lot of exceptionally smart people making this same connection. As the source of all truth and light states:
Similarities between wage labor and slavery were noted at least as early as Cicero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicero). [10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wage_slavery#cite_note-9) A line in the original "Star-Spangled Banner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-Spangled_Banner)" groups "hirelings" together with slaves. [11] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wage_slavery#cite_note-10) Before the American Civil War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War), Southern defenders of African American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American) slavery invoked the concept to favorably compare the condition of their slaves to workers in the North.
And eventually, as I said earlier, the connection is made between "outright" slavery and any condition where one has little or no control over one's work, working conditions or product. That's demeaning, no matter how much money one is making.

There's a reason why studies have shown over and over again that managers almost always choose more power over higher earnings or greater efficiency. Workers don't tend to have that choice, though.

dsr
03-18-2011, 06:49 AM
A slave who decided to leave his (or her) job would be killed. Petersen is free to walk away right now, and there's not a blind thing the NFL or the Vikings could do about it.

OK, he wouldn't get his many millions of dollars, but not being able to receive many millions of dollars in not in any respect a definition of slavery.

Steeldude
03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
so mendenhall is as equally moronic as peterson.

isn't this insulting to people who actually were slaves?

MDSteel15
03-18-2011, 11:19 AM

So tired of this slave bullshit! I'm a slave making f*ck!nG minimum wage driving these rich asses around!!! Spoinled bitches should have to get real jobs before they get into these millions and then bitch... :banging:

TRH
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
yeah.....if anybody are slaves....it us. The working-class.

This kind of talk is really making me hate on the players. They're turning out to act just like baseball players. Sad.

zulater
03-18-2011, 02:39 PM
The gladiators were slaves, last I checked. Keep reading your history, and you'll find a lot of exceptionally smart people making this same connection. As the source of all truth and light states:

And eventually, as I said earlier, the connection is made between "outright" slavery and any condition where one has little or no control over one's work, working conditions or product. That's demeaning, no matter how much money one is making.

There's a reason why studies have shown over and over again that managers almost always choose more power or higher earnings or greater efficiency. Workers don't tend to have that choice, though.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/23/48hours/main675913.shtml

If the NFL players want to know what real slavery is about maybe they should ask some of the Eastern European strippers they're so fond at their local "Gentlemen's Club" to explain it to them.

kirklandrules
03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
The gladiators were slaves, last I checked. Keep reading your history, and you'll find a lot of exceptionally smart people making this same connection.

First, yes a large number of gladiators were slaves. However, I made the assumption that the type of slavery that Peterson and Mendy were referencing was the home grown American slavery (my assumption was based on the pure idiocy of their comments being a basis they probably haven't cracked too many books to learn what forms slavery took throughout history). The weak correlation between the NFL and gladiators is that human beings were put through physical feats for entertainment ... something very rarely found amoung American slaves. However, Peterson was implying that he was a bound and imprisoned slave to an "owner". That's the biggest bunch of BS.

As the source of all truth and light states:

What the hell are you talking about? NFL players have plenty of control over their work, working conditions and products. The greatest form of that control is their freedom to not perform that job any longer. Last time I checked, Peterson has the freedom to not play in the NFL. Don't tell me these guys are suddenly demeaned because they aren't getting more than $8 million a season and have to abide by rules. Besides, if you think this is an original thought by an NFL player, you're kidding yourself. This was a line inserted by an agent trying to cover for his moronic client.

There's a reason why studies have shown over and over again that managers almost always choose more power or higher earnings or greater efficiency.

Of course manager will choose higher earnings and greater efficiency ... it's part of a winning formula within our capitalistic system. Are you implying our business decisions should be based on a quest for inefficiency and poor returns on investment?

Workers don't tend to have that choice, though.

Workers have the most powerful choice of all ... they can choose to quit and go do something else.

Quick question for you: are you a commie?

pete74
03-19-2011, 03:43 AM
mendenhall just droped a knotch in my book. anyone who makes over 6 million dollars a year playing a game and tries to compare that to slavery is retarded in my book

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Slave comparison....hardly. Maybe a comparison to US Auto workers is closer.

Union environment, both make relatively good money and had good benefits. UAW employees had it so good that their benefits were crippling their employers ability to be competitve and profitable, so it all came tumbling down.

The NFL players have it so good that their employers think they are making more and demanding more than they deserve, so they have been locked out. The owners are nowhere near becoming bankrupt like the automakers though.

Many that lost their jobs in the auto industry had to find work somewhere else. The NFL players can do that in the Arena league or use their college educations to find gainful employment.......but we all know that wont be necessary because they either made more than the average man will in a lifetime, or will be back playing football in 6 months.

IMO if the NFLPA are being treated like slaves, so were the GM employees making $80/hour putting in windshields all day. That is just my opinion though.

BigRick
03-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Slave comparison....hardly. Maybe a comparison to US Auto workers is closer.

Union environment, both make relatively good money and had good benefits. UAW employees had it so good that their benefits were crippling their employers ability to be competitve and profitable, so it all came tumbling down.

The NFL players have it so good that their employers think they are making more and demanding more than they deserve, so they have been locked out. The owners are nowhere near becoming bankrupt like the automakers though.

Many that lost their jobs in the auto industry had to find work somewhere else. The NFL players can do that in the Arena league or use their college educations to find gainful employment.......but we all know that wont be necessary because they either made more than the average man will in a lifetime, or will be back playing football in 6 months.

IMO if the NFLPA are being treated like slaves, so were the GM employees making $80/hour putting in windshields all day. That is just my opinion though.

Auto workers don,t make $80 an hour. You've been listening to Andrew Ross Sorkin to much. As far as being treated like slaves they're no nor is an NFL player. Employees in both groups can walk away any time they want. Also the credit crunch hurt the auto makers both American and Japenese not the unions. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

harrison'samonster
03-19-2011, 06:29 PM
In Mendenhall's defense, I think I've heard somebody complain that they were being treated like a slave at every job I've had. It's something people say, but most of us aren't famous and it doesn't matter what we say about our own jobs.

However, it is really offensive to hear some multi-millionaire draw parallels between his own situation and the situation of slaves.

Not to mention the problem of calling it "modern day slavery." I'm pretty sure the modern occupation we can mostly compare to slavery is in fact: modern day slavery. Let's not forget that even in this country there are people existing as slaves (sex slaves, child slaves). Chinese women escaping to what they thought would be better lives end up in forced labor in U.S. owned islands in the Pacific, forced to abort their babies and other horrible things.

zulater
03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
If Mendy were a slave he should have got 20 slashes for that fumble in the Super Bowl.

steelcityboyz
03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
If Mendy were a slave he should have got 20 slashes for that fumble in the Super Bowl.
:applaudit:

MaidenIndiana
03-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Mendenhall and Peterson both need to remember this old adage: It's better to be quiet and be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

austinfrench76
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IDIOT.

harts
03-21-2011, 02:13 AM
nfl combine is really a modern day auction block if you look at it.
the players get up there they are measured, weighed, pulled, and prodded like animals and then they are "drafted" based on those numbers

looks like a parallel to me

players are also bought/sold/discarded at the wishes of the teams.

yes they make millions (Some of them) - cheered and loved (until they switch teams or make mistakes that cost games)

parallels?
absolutely

understanding and sympathy towards those parallels by the general public?
probably not gonna happen

pete74
03-21-2011, 04:42 AM
the players get up there they are measured, weighed, pulled, and prodded like animals and then they are "drafted" based on those numbers

yes they make millions (Some of them) - cheered and loved (until they switch teams or make mistakes that cost games)

parallels?
absolutely

your insane

vasteeler
03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
your insane

you and i dont always see eye to eye, but this time.....spot on:thumbsup:

Sixburgher
03-21-2011, 11:23 AM

parallels?
absolutely

Ridiculous. There are no parallels to be made between the two. Playing in the NFL = completely voluntary, and remunerated quite handsomely. Slavery = completely involuntary and unpaid. Get it?

TRH
03-21-2011, 11:37 AM

parallels?
absolutely

thas completely ridiculous. I just lost 100 brain cells reading that.

ricardisimo
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
thas completely ridiculous. I just lost 100 brain cells reading that.
It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle. And they have little if any recourse should they object to any of it. If they balk or complain about being traded to a wasteland like the Oakland or Cincinnati, they are labeled prima donnas by the fans and the media.

And that's just the commodity aspect to it. As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product. Weenies like Goodell have taken that away completely, and it's only getting worse all the time. Just sit back and watch the arbitrary installation and enforcement of rules from here on out. When Polamalu suggested a panel of past and current players sit in on rules enforcement discussion, the resounding "NO!!" from New York was deafening. How dare he suggest that players have input in their own field!

Now, do they make a butt-load of money? Sure they do. That doesn't negate everything else. Also, it bears mentioning that the average NFL career is three-and-a-half years long, which is a rookie contract... which is precisely what the owners want to limit. Four years' worth of league minimum is less than I'm going to make in my career punching a clock.

Then they're screwed, not only because they are physically damaged when they leave, but because their focus has been singularly on football their entire lives, and their coaches have been complicit in this. That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.

Which is off-topic. Sorry. There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.

DanRooney
03-21-2011, 04:15 PM
They also back each other's ability to fumble at the worst opportune times.

pete74
03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle. And they have little if any recourse should they object to any of it. If they balk or complain about being traded to a wasteland like the Oakland or Cincinnati, they are labeled prima donnas by the fans and the media.

And that's just the commodity aspect to it. As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product. Weenies like Goodell have taken that away completely, and it's only getting worse all the time. Just sit back and watch the arbitrary installation and enforcement of rules from here on out. When Polamalu suggested a panel of past and current players sit in on rules enforcement discussion, the resounding "NO!!" from New York was deafening. How dare he suggest that players have input in their own field!

Now, do they make a butt-load of money? Sure they do. That doesn't negate everything else. Also, it bears mentioning that the average NFL career is three-and-a-half years long, which is a rookie contract... which is precisely what the owners want to limit. Four years' worth of league minimum is less than I'm going to make in my career punching a clock.

Then they're screwed, not only because they are physically damaged when they leave, but because their focus has been singularly on football their entire lives, and their coaches have been complicit in this. That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.

Which is off-topic. Sorry. There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.

come on, they have a choice and thats all that matters here. they choose to do this. nobody makes them. they dream and work there entire lives to be were they are and nothing is a surprise

ricardisimo
03-21-2011, 10:36 PM
come on, they have a choice and thats all that matters here. they choose to do this. nobody makes them. they dream and work there entire lives to be were they are and nothing is a surprise
I don't think he said "NFL players are actual slaves". Nor did Peterson and Mendenhall. What they all said - in one way or another - was that there are parallels, just as there are with folks working at Walmart.

The folks working at Walmart have a choice as well: work the suckiest job on the planet, or go on welfare. They don't have to work at Walmart. They have freedom. It's America, after all. Land of the free, and all that.

steelerjim58
03-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Although I shouldn't be, I am amazed at how many want to somehow find a way to compare slavery to the NFL. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but come on.

Wallace108
03-22-2011, 12:52 AM
It must be horrible to be "bought" by the NFL and have to suffer by making millions of dollars playing a game. As far as being "discarded," regular workers are laid off or fired everyday. And they didn't make millions before being "discarded."

It's not ridiculous. He's right on the mark that there are parallels. Players are poked, prodded, weighed, measured, bought, sold and traded like cattle.
But yet every player who puts on a helmet dreams of one day going through this process and being drafted by an NFL team. I wonder if slaves looked forward to "draft day" with such anticipation?

As workers, they have little control over their labor, their workplace or their product.
Most workers in any business have little or no say over their workplace or product. There are a LOT of things I'd like to change about my workplace. It's not happening though. :noidea:

Most of them also got a free college education (or at least had the opportunity to). So even if their football career does end after three years, they've got money and connections that your average college graduate could only dream about.

That's why slimeballs like Tressel, Carroll, Kelly and probably just about every Division I head coach in the country should be fired immediately if their players don't get real degrees with real grades.
I don't disagree here. If we were arguing that there are parallels between college football and slavery, I'd be on the other side of the argument.

There are parallels, and the money doesn't erase that fact.
I think it's ridiculous to compare NFL players to slaves. If the players feel they're being treated unfairly, they are free to find other employment. If they think they have it so bad in the NFL, they can always fall back on that free education they received while attending college.

harts
03-22-2011, 01:49 AM
I knew my comments wouldn't go over well here but I stand behind what I said

When I graduated college I had 3 job offers on the table -
I was able to choose who I worked for
Sadly NFL players can not
They are drafted and pretty much forced to play for whomever drafts them

I dont think that's right - yes they can sit out or pull an Eli Manning but they risk not getting paid for a year if they do.

Now the owners are talking about a rookie wage scale to further muck things up?

Mendy didnt know what he was getting into when he was drafted but after a few years in the NFL he sees it for what it is

Wallace108
03-22-2011, 02:11 AM
It wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed on everything. :drink:

If they don't like the work conditions, then maybe they need to find a new line of work. When my company went from a morning operation to a night operation, quite a few of my co-workers decided they didn't want to "give up their lives" by working afternoons, so they found other employment. My uncle has lived in about 6 different states in the past 25 years because his company keeps relocating him. This is equivalent to being traded, only he doesn't make millions every year. This kind of thing happens in businesses all the time, only workers generally don't get the same kind of perks NFL players receive. Players know going in what the "work environment" is like. If they don't like it, they can find other employment. No one is forcing them to play in the NFL, which is why I disagree with the slavery comparison.

harts
03-22-2011, 02:20 AM
your insane
When I read this
LOL!
Thanks.

Ridiculous. There are no parallels to be made between the two. Playing in the NFL = completely voluntary, and remunerated quite handsomely. Slavery = completely involuntary and unpaid. Get it?

Most people can't get past the money point - but the treatment is the treatment
regardless if it is voluntary or not - the current system is what it is

NFL Players cant even choose who their employers are or where they get traded unless they pull a T.O or your name is Randy Moss and you alienate everyone to get your way

But again most people cant get past how much money these guys make and look at the conditions objectively

Seems as if college educated NFL player Mendy can.
He knows the system better than any of us.

Just take him off your fantasy team.... when Mendy scores TD's for us and wins games will you cheer for him then?

harts
03-22-2011, 02:40 AM
It wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed on everything. :drink:

If they don't like the work conditions, then maybe they need to find a new line of work. This kind of thing happens in businesses all the time, only workers generally don't get the same kind of perks NFL players receive. Players know going in what the "work environment" is like. If they don't like it, they can find other employment. No one is forcing them to play in the NFL, which is why I disagree with the slavery comparison.
Exactly - they had the option to go work for someone else and make about the same amount of money

Their is only 1 NFL
Yes they can play in the CFL or UFL but they will not get the same wages

AN NFL player said that their were parallels in the current NFL system to slavery
He makes millions and he STILL feels this way

And he is not the only one I assure you

These guys are saying something about a system that they belong to and what cracks me up is there are people outside looking in saying the NFL system isn't like that?

LOL

pete74
03-22-2011, 04:44 AM
so your saying all pro sports are like slavery because there all set up the same way? when you waych hockey do you feel sorry for all those slaves because they were drafted and traded?

as for them not having a choice, i dont know were you dreamed that up. they dont have to play football.nobody makes them except millions of dollars a year to play a game most of us play for fun. nobody is going to give Pouncey 20 lashes if he decides to walk away after his 1st year

Sixburgher
03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Never mind.

Wallace108
03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
NFL Players cant even choose who their employers are or where they get traded
Their employers are the NFL. And they can choose to work for the NFL or find another employer. :noidea:

Let me give you an analogy. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than comparing NFL players to slaves ...

Right out of college I get three job offers. Two of them are in my home state of Ohio starting off at $30,000. The third is in Texas starting off at $90,000. I take the job in Texas because I can make a lot more money. After working there a while, I start complaining that they're treating me like a slave because they made me move to Texas. :doh:

No one is treating me like a slave. I didn't have to accept the job. Same thing with NFL players. No one is forcing them to go to work for the NFL. They choose to be employed by the NFL knowing they have to play for the team that drafts them. And then after their rookie contracts are up, they DO have a say in where they play ... it's called free agency.

I remember seeing an interview with Paul Stanley of Kiss years ago. He was talking about rock stars who complain about being on the road all the time and losing their privacy. He said if they are lucky enough in life to be doing what they always dreamed of, then they need to shut up and stop bitching. ... There are thousands of former football players who never made it to the NFL who would gladly switch places with those poor, abused NFL players.

TRH
03-22-2011, 03:40 PM

I dont think that's right - yes they can sit out or pull an Eli Manning but they risk not getting paid for a year if they do.

Now the owners are talking about a rookie wage scale to further muck things up?

Mendy didnt know what he was getting into when he was drafted but after a few years in the NFL he sees it for what it is

ahhhhhh. Poor babies. They can't play "for who they want to play for...". Ahh.....
They're free to go out and use their "business" degree or whatever was handed to them and get a regular job....
I mean, it is a DRAFT.

mesaSteeler
03-27-2011, 09:49 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14857843/players-who-make-asinine-statements-simply-slaves-to-stupidity

Players who make asinine statements simply 'slaves' to stupidity

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
March 25, 2011

NFL players don't need a court order. They need a gag order.

For some reason, they keep equating their jobs to "modern-day slavery," as Minnesota's Adrian Peterson put it. Enough already. The NFL is about as close to "modern-day slavery" as Tripoli is to Tokyo, and it's time these guys get a history lesson, a geography lesson or a dose of common sense.

Basically, it's time they stop playing the S card.

Look, players are eloquent, forceful and persuasive when they talk about the NFL lockout and how they're getting what they consider an unfair shake of revenues ... or not getting the financial transparency they demand ... or having a basic mistrust of greedy owners.

But they veer off topic when they start comparing themselves to "modern-day slaves." Not only does it make them unsympathetic figures in a public dispute; it makes them seem uninformed.

I'm not sure who's to blame more -- the guys talking or the people advising them. All I know is that persons on the players' side who should be concerned aren't, and that's troubling. I mean, if you're going to portray yourself as a victim don't tell me you're the modern-day equivalent of Kunta Kinte, because you're not.

So why try hammering it home? Because you're frustrated with the current stalemate? OK, I get it. Because you think owners are taking an unfair share of profits? I get that, too. Because the NFL seemed to chart a lockout course when it signed off on TV deals a court found contrary to players' interests? That's a big 10-4. Because players can be locked into contracts with no escapes -- like franchise and transition deals? Trust me, I understand.

But don't tell me you're "modern-day slaves" because you're getting jobbed. That's not only insulting to your audience; it's insulting to you. You're smarter than that. You know it, I know it and pro football fans know it.

And what we know is this: In the second-worst economy in the nation's history, NFL players made an average of $1.896 million in 2009, according to NFL Players Association figures. Granted, that's the lowest average in pro sports. I get that, and I also get that owners made a gazillion bucks. But that's not the point. What is, is that it's $1.896 million, or more than some Americans earn in a lifetime. Factor that over the average career of an NFL player -- 3.4 years -- and you walk away with $6.44 million.

I'm not saying players should be grateful. I'm just saying I don't remember slaves pulling down $1.896 million per.

But let's forget about remuneration and move on to pro football in general. It's a profession that players choose voluntarily. Hmmm, the last time I checked, nobody voluntarily chose slavery, which is why it's called slavery.

Moreover, the terms and conditions of a slave's employment weren't determined by collective bargaining and they weren't negotiable. They were just imposed, period. Tell me the last time slaves were represented by a union, which, come to think of it, might be the only thing players and slaves have in common now.

Neither is represented by a union.

Now let's say you're a player, and you don't like the terms and conditions of your workplace. OK, here's a suggestion: Leave. Go to the CFL. The AFL. The UFL. Hey, join Chad Ochocinco at MLS tryouts, I don't care. Just find a sport where you're happy. Or take a job at a private enterprise. Work for a bank. Sell cars. Write books. Wait on tables. Heck, advise pro football players. Just do something, anything, where you're drawing a check.

That's what most of us do, yet I don't hear the clerks at the neighborhood bank or the guy behind the counter at the local 7-Eleven pontificating about "modern-day slavery." But I did hear Peterson. Then I heard Rashard Mendenhall. Now, this week, we have Leonard Weaver, though he had the wisdom to retract his comments and apologize.

At last weekend's annual NFL players' meeting, former player Sean Morey made an impassioned appeal to the public, saying he understood its distress because "We connect with our fans." He's right, of course. People don't run around in Jerry Richardson or Jerry Jones jerseys; they run around with the names of Adrian Peterson and Rashard Mendenhall on their backs.

But that connection is damaged every time a player stands up and starts yammering about "modern-day slavery," and I'll tell you why: Because no "modern-day slave" sells a Manhattan condo for $17.5 million, as New England quarterback and assistant player rep Tom Brady did last month.

That doesn't mean we can't talk about "modern-day slavery;" it just means we can talk about it when it applies, as it does Friday with the 100th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist fire in New York City. The 1911 disaster was the deadliest industrial accident in New York history, with 146 garment workers killed after managers locked doors to stairwells and exits, forcing employees to jump nine stories to their deaths.

That was slavery. The NFL is not.

An official at the players' meetings told me Peterson had every right to voice his opinion; that he stood behind him and respected his right to take a stand. OK, fine. I think we all agree that Peterson is entitled to his opinion, just as someone like, oh, say, Carolina owner and NFL labor co-chairman Richardson is.

Yet when Richardson reportedly scolded players at a closed-door negotiating session people recoiled, criticized and wagged incriminating fingers. When Peterson & Co. portrayed themselves as "modern-day slaves" they did not.

Tell me what's wrong with this picture. Never mind, I'll spare you the trouble. NFL players are not "slaves," and they know it. Maybe they're incensed with how they're treated by the NFL, but at least they have a voice in how the league is run and a voice in what they do next.

Only now it's time that voice was channeled. Stick to what you know, guys, and what you know is that the NFL and "modern-day slavery" do not coexist in the same sentence.

End of conversation.

Steelboy84
03-27-2011, 03:25 PM
i was gonna say the same thing , but with less words...
him trying to draw this comparison , is just as disgusting as kellen winslow and the rest of the dregs of society calling themselves "soulja''s"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ

harts
04-01-2011, 07:01 AM
ahhhhhh. Poor babies. They can't play "for who they want to play for...". Ahh.....
They're free to go out and use [B]their "business" degree or whatever was handed to them and get a regular job/B].

Because they didnt earn anything right?
:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

harts
04-01-2011, 07:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82BPA5QAaQ

he was a kid when he said this......
He apologized and moved on if I remember correctly

Everytime I think of Kellen I just think of a TE who has not maximized his talent
Don't know if it is his fault or him playing with below average to avg QB's for most of his career

Thanks for bringing back the canes highlights.

Someday the U will rise again!

harts
04-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Their employers are the NFL. And they can choose to work for the NFL or find another employer. :noidea:

Let me give you an analogy. It's not perfect, but it's a lot closer than comparing NFL players to slaves ...

Let's not...
I do not lack understanding of the situation - I understand it completely - I just don't see it in the way you see it

Tell Mendy this also cuz he obviously doesnt get it

Wallace108
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Let's not...
I do not lack understanding of the situation - I understand it completely - I just don't see it in the way you see it

Tell Mendy this also cuz he obviously doesnt get it

You're assuming that just because Mendy and Peterson believe it, then it must be true. What about the other 98 percent of the players that probably think they're a couple of dumb asses for making those comments? :noidea:

Look, I've seen some really good arguments in support of the players. But comparing them to slaves isn't one of them.

Buddha Bus
04-01-2011, 10:15 AM
You're assuming that just because Mendy and Peterson believe it, then it must be true. What about the other 98 percent of the players that probably think they're a couple of dumb asses for making those comments? :noidea:

Look, I've seen some really good arguments in support of the players. But comparing them to slaves isn't one of them.

I'll second that. I support the players for the most part, but slavery? C'mon man!

harts
04-01-2011, 03:37 PM

they are making millions how can their be parallels to slavery?
Once you get past the money part the evidence is there
the money is supposed to excuse the treatment

no amount of money can pay for somoene's dignity

Funny I haven't read a lot of players denouncing his comments - Tomlin himself commented on mendy and said he didnt have a problem with what he said

NOTE: Add Tomlin to the list of dumb asses :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

a lot of the professional basketball and football players think this way - Mendy/Peterson are just the 2% that SPOKE up about it.

Based on most of the answers to this post Mendy is a Dummy for expressing his opinion because it will probably cost him in endorsements/popularity

but he is not dumb by any means Mendy is a smart guy
obviously not the smart you like though
LOL

Wallace108
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
they are making millions how can their be parallels to slavery?
Once you get past the money part the evidence is there
the money is supposed to excuse the treatment
Money can excuse a lot! Why do you think players leave a good team and go play for a worse team? M-O-N-E-Y. They'll even put up with losing if they can get paid more for doing it. And I'm really failing to see the poor treatment you're referring to. :noidea:

no amount of money can pay for somoene's dignity
You're really losing me here. What does dignity have to do with this?

Funny I haven't read a lot of players denouncing his comments - Tomlin himself commented on mendy and said he didnt have a problem with what he said
How much do you know about unions and labor situations? They have to present a unified front. Players aren't going to start criticizing other players' comments. I'm not surprised Tomlin didn't have a problem with Mendy's comment ... that's his player. And Tomlin usually doesn't get into the media game of "gotcha."

a lot of the professional basketball and football players think this way
That doesn't make them right. A lot of fans think the refs stole the SB away from the Seahawks and gave it to the Steelers. Does it make it true just because a lot of fans believe it? :noidea:

harts
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Money can excuse a lot! Why do you think players leave a good team and go play for a worse team? M-O-N-E-Y. They'll even put up with losing if they can get paid more for doing it. And I'm really failing to see the poor treatment you're referring to. :noidea:

You're really losing me here. What does dignity have to do with this?

How much do you know about unions and labor situations? They have to present a unified front. Players aren't going to start criticizing other players' comments. I'm not surprised Tomlin didn't have a problem with Mendy's comment ... that's his player. And Tomlin usually doesn't get into the media game of "gotcha."

That doesn't make them right. A lot of fans think the refs stole the SB away from the Seahawks and gave it to the Steelers. Does it make it true just because a lot of fans believe it? :noidea:

If you feel you are being treated unfairly - no amount of money can make up for it.
Can money make you feel better about it?

Yes it can - How much money does Mendy Make?

Yet he STILL said it!
He's what 3 years or so NFL experience.

Tomlin supported Mendy in what he said - he himself said there were parallels

Why is a Parallel to slavery such a hard concept to grasp? - I gave a CLEAR example with the NFL combine -
What goes on at the combine is similar to what went on at the Slave Auction Block minus the whips and chains
Read the history and look at the combine
It's real simple

their are many more examples.

Wallace108
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Why is a Parallel to slavery such a hard concept to grasp? - I gave a CLEAR example with the NFL combine -
What goes on at the combine is similar to what went on at the Slave Auction Block minus the whips and chains.
What goes on at the combine that is even remotely comparable to the slave auction block? When a player chooses to go into the NFL, he is choosing a profession that is defined by physicality. So of course teams want to see how players measure up. That's what the job entails. That's what they choose to do. Teams aren't going to draft players based on their cooking skills.

Buddha Bus
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
It's a choice and they are compensated handsomely for their work. They can leave whenever they choose. What's not to understand about that? :hunch:

Slavery? Pfft! :screwy:

harts
04-01-2011, 07:51 PM
What goes on at the combine that is even remotely comparable to the slave auction block? When a player chooses to go into the NFL, he is choosing a profession that is defined by physicality. So of course teams want to see how players measure up. That's what the job entails. That's what they choose to do. Teams aren't going to draft players based on their cooking skills.

I didnt know that?:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
[SARCASM]
Duh I know what the combine is for?
You guys keep trying to explain the process ............

Again
I never said the combine was slavery I said the way it is conducted parallels how the slaves were treated

I gave a clear, plausible example of how this happens
Read the history books and look at the NFL combine there are clear easy to recognize parallels

I could take this 10 levels deeper in how the NFL parallels slavery - for example how the scouts describe the players in animalistic terms i.e (stud, gallops, etc etc )- I am not even going there with it

MENDY said it
Parallels
Mendy has been through this process - HE is an NFL Player that makes millions is college educated from Illinois University
3 years experience in the NFL
He is no dummy
He is on the inside

WE are on the outside looking in

His insight and his aptitude of the situation is greater than ours for the simple fact of firsthand experience

After all this knowledge and first hand experience Mendy uttered those words....
How can you not see some validity in his comments?

Just play ball dummy and dont have a thought that gives us a reason to hate you :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

harts
04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
It's a choice and they are compensated handsomely for their work. They can leave whenever they choose. What's not to understand about that? :hunch:

Slavery? Pfft! :screwy:

The money :banging::banging::banging: - leave the money out of it and look at the process

Yes they make "a lot" of money
So what

Are they slaves - never said they were - I said and more importantly NFL players say the NFL system parallels slavery
Pfft!

Buddha Bus
04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
The money :banging::banging::banging: - leave the money out of it and look at the process

Yes they make "a lot" of money
So what

Are they slaves - never said they were - I said and more importantly NFL players say the NFL system parallels slavery
Pfft!

Telling me to take the money out of the slavery issue is ridiculous. It's a major part of it. Even if you did, it is in no way, shape or form the same. You also seem to ignore the freewill portion of my argument. No one is chained up and paraded onto a stage to go to the highest bidder against their will. These players have the CHOICE to not be a part of it.

It's a type of job interview. It may be different then what you or I are used to, but that doesn't make it slavery. Teams need to have a way of seeing, up close and in person, what these players have to offer skills-wise. This is one way of accomplishing that goal and is in no way the same or similar to slavery. I guess you'll just say to take the freewill and choice out of the equation too, though. :rolleyes:

SteelersinCA
04-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Fish going to market parallels slavery too.

Buddha Bus
04-02-2011, 01:10 AM

:rofl:

harts
04-02-2011, 07:47 AM

So the NFL players that say this are in effect idiots...
Seems to be the consensus here
Not surprising
When the system is exposed for what it really is in the future then people will understand but too many on here only see how much money they make

they are too envious to look at the situation objectively because many feel as though they are more worthy of the money than those that are playing it

Sad

Don't put Mendy on your fantasy team or cheer for him when he wins games for the Steelers -

Always remember what he said - how can you cheer for a dummy?:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Buddha Bus
04-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Not surprising
When the system is exposed for what it really is in the future then people will understand but too many on here only see how much money they make

they are too envious to look at the situation objectively because many feel as though they are more worthy of the money than those that are playing it

Sad

Don't put Mendy on your fantasy team or cheer for him when he wins games for the Steelers -

Always remember what he said - how can you cheer for a dummy?:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

What does saying/doing something stupid have to do with me cheering them on? I continued rooting for Ben when he made some exceedingly stupid decisions. If you weren't allowed to cheer for someone after they said or did something stupid, we wouldn't cheer for 90% of the professional athletes going today. Most of them aren't exactly geniuses and neither am I. Nobody's perfect, but that doesn't change the fact that comparing the combine to slavery is just absurd.

At least even I'm smart enough to see that. :scholar:

Oh, and another thing. Don't tell me who I can and can't cheer for. You have no right to treat me like your slave. :flap:

Wallace108
04-02-2011, 12:38 PM
When the system is exposed for what it really is in the future then people will understand
Oooh, a conspiracy theory. I'm in. :thumbsup:

but too many on here only see how much money they make

harts, it's not about how much money they make. As has been stated over and over, it's about freewill. They know everything that is involved, and they choose to do it. If we were discussing college players (who bring in big money to their schools but don't get paid themselves), then I might be more likely to agree with you. But even they still have a choice. Slaves didn't have a choice about being slaves.

Buddha Bus
04-02-2011, 12:41 PM

harts, it's not about how much money they make. As has been stated over and over, it's about freewill. They know everything that is involved, and they choose to do it. If we were discussing college players (who bring in big money to their schools but don't get paid themselves), then I might be more likely to agree with you. But even they still have a choice. Slaves didn't have a choice about being slaves.

Forget it, Wally. Harts apparently doesn't want to address the freewill issue. He just wants to attack certain parts of the conversation while ignoring others. I'd love to hear his views on the choice matter and try to make a valid argument countering that stance.

BigRick
04-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Not surprising

Sad

You pretty well summed it up in the first sentence. Sadly you seem to put yourself in the same classification by agreeing with them. Maybe they and you should have paid more attention in history classes. Then you might have some concept of the realities of slavery. :banging::banging:

pete74
04-02-2011, 02:41 PM
i cant understand how anyone can be stupied enough to compare the NFL to slavery when you have the choice to play or not to play in the NFL. this is a slap in the face to everyone who suffered as slaves for all those years

SteelersinCA
04-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Not surprising

Sad

Wow, that's a lot of words you put in my mouth. If the NFL parallels slavery, doesn't it stand to reason that fish going to market do as well?

For that matter getting a job parallels slavery. You submit a resume, go in for an interview, they size you up and pick the best one. Not sure how that is different than the combine and college ball, but I'm sure you will enlighten us.:drink:

Wallace108
04-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Forget it, Wally. Harts apparently doesn't want to address the freewill issue.

Yep, for obvious reasons.

Most of us HAVE to work. We have no choice. But look at someone like Carson Palmer who said that if his trade demand isn't met, he'll just retire. Most of us don't have that option. Well, I guess we do ... but we'd be homeless and starve.

And I wonder what would happen if I went to my boss, demanded more money, and said I wasn't coming back to work until I got paid more. My guess is that I'd be looking for new employment the next day.

For that matter getting a job parallels slavery. You submit a resume, go in for an interview, they size you up and pick the best one.

Exactly. If you wanted to, you could find parallels to slavery in just about any job.

Buddha Bus
04-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Yep, for obvious reasons.

Most of us HAVE to work. We have no choice. But look at someone like Carson Palmer who said that if his trade demand isn't met, he'll just retire. Most of us don't have that option. Well, I guess we do ... but we'd be homeless and starve.

And I wonder what would happen if I went to my boss, demanded more money, and said I wasn't coming back to work until I got paid more. My guess is that I'd be looking for new employment the next day.

Exactly. If you wanted to, you could find parallels to slavery in just about any job.

You're right! :idea:

I want my reparations, now, dammit! :rant: :chuckle:

harts
04-09-2011, 11:49 PM

Parallels to the treatment of Slaves is apparent - in the way the NFL/NCAA conduct the BUSINESS of NFL/college football.
Yes playing in the NFL is free will
SO what!

The NFL combine in the way that it is conducted parallels what went on at the slavery auction block
There are many other examples - I just use that one
Again
Mendy and other NFL players, NBA players have said this in the past.

Regardless of what I or YOU believe
people who are directly affected and have knowledge of
the NFL system state that this is how it is.

For you to discredit and write it off as nonsense is comical since you don't have any direct knowledge of the situation

So Mendy is an idiot?
Adrian Peterson is an idiot?

The hell with what I think I dont play NFL ball - and albeit neither do you

harts
04-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Wow, that's a lot of words you put in my mouth. If the NFL parallels slavery, doesn't it stand to reason that fish going to market do as well?

For that matter getting a job parallels slavery. You submit a resume, go in for an interview, they size you up and pick the best one. Not sure how that is different than the combine and college ball, but I'm sure you will enlighten us.:drink:

this analogy........................
cmon man?
really

fish going to market :noidea::noidea::noidea::noidea:

I applaud Mendy for saying it but if it was me - I would have kept my mouth shut
Not because I didn't believe it
But because it would be more important for me to squeeze every dime out of these hypocritical, backstabbing , envious fans
That I supposedly play for.

harts
04-10-2011, 12:03 AM
You're right! :idea:

I want my reparations, now, dammit! :rant: :chuckle:

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Too much money being made for playing ball HUH?
LOL

Tell em why you mad :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Wallace108
04-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes playing in the NFL is free will
SO what!
Harts, freewill is a very important factor here. No one is forcing them to work under those "miserable" conditions.

The NFL combine in the way that it is conducted parallels what went on at the slavery auction block
As I've said before, football is a physical game. Why wouldn't the owners want to see how the players stack up physically?

There are many other examples - I just use that one
There are many examples? What are they?

Again
Mendy and other NFL players, NBA players have said this in the past.
You keep rehashing the same arguments, so I'll keep rehashing the same counter arguments. ... Just because Mendy and Peterson play in the NFL doesn't make their opinions right. How many players have you seen come out and support this view?

For you to discredit and write it off as nonsense is comical since you don't have any direct knowledge of the situation
Dude, you don't know anything about me, so don't make assumptions.

So Mendy is an idiot?
Adrian Peterson is an idiot?
I never said they were idiots. They made idiotic statements. There's a difference.

Buddha Bus
04-10-2011, 12:15 AM
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

Too much money being made for playing ball HUH?
LOL

Tell em why you mad :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Still no counter to the "freewill" argument huh, harts? Tell me why you choose to ignore it. I'm not mad, just tired of hearing some guy ramble about money when that is not the only issue.

Also, I never said they make too much money for playing ball. I'm all for them getting their piece of the pie. They put their bodies through a lot and tend to have short careers. They should try to make as much as they can. I guess reading comprehension is NOT your strong point. :wakeup:

kirklandrules
04-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah, it's a shame that these men are being used like "slaves" by those evil NFL owners. Really, these guys are being stripped from the ranks of scientists, artists, musicians, world leaders, Nobel Prize winners just to be used to bump into each other. The selfishness of us fans who desire to be entertained leads to our societies top thinkers pushed through a system that treats them more like cattle than the geniuses that they are. And to think they are being paid such a lowly rate with a minimum of $350k per year when they would otherwise have earned so much more. To see the shock and looks of horror on the faces of these young men when they are surprised to learn that they were sucked from their colleges into the NFL, against their will, when they never spent time preparing their bodies and developing the mindset for such work. It's these thoughts that generate the tears that soak my pillow night after night with thoughts of how unfair the world really is. :crying01::crying01::crying01:

TRH
04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
good points, Wallace.

I have to agree....no one is making them play here. I've watched both sides and i still think its beneficial for the game for the owners to win the majority of their points (they own the teams anyway....duh)
Look whats happened to major league baseball now that the players have hijacked the league : a sport that is no longer a sport..that has NO parity...and NO ONE cares about.
They're free to use their "degrees" to apply and enter the business world.

I have NO tolerance for players making these kinds of comments. Doesn't matter if they play for Pittsburgh or not. The real slaves are all the working folk making 40, 50, 60K a year or whatever they make and paying a boatload for their health insurance and working under miserable people.

ricardisimo
04-15-2011, 01:55 AM
good points, Wallace.

I have to agree....no one is making them play here. I've watched both sides and i still think its beneficial for the game for the owners to win the majority of their points (they own the teams anyway....duh)
Look whats happened to major league baseball now that the players have hijacked the league : a sport that is no longer a sport..that has NO parity...and NO ONE cares about.
They're free to use their "degrees" to apply and enter the business world.

I have NO tolerance for players making these kinds of comments. Doesn't matter if they play for Pittsburgh or not. The real slaves are all the working folk making 40, 50, 60K a year or whatever they make and paying a boatload for their health insurance and working under miserable people.
One can conceive of the game being played without owners, but without the players there is no sport. Period. And the free will argument works both ways. The owners are perfectly free to play the real estate markets whenever they want a real challenge.

Wallace108
04-15-2011, 02:28 AM
One can conceive of the game being played without owners, but without the players there is no sport. Period. And the free will argument works both ways. The owners are perfectly free to play the real estate markets whenever they want a real challenge.

I'm sure most people would agree with you, Ric, and I'm not saying that I completely disagree. But lets give some credit to the owners. There's a reason why the Steelers have been consistently good during the past 20 years or so, regardless of which players were on the field. And there's a reason why teams like the Lions and Browns have been consistently bad during the same time period. It starts with the owners.Yeah, we watch because of the players. But it's up to the owners to put good players on the field and assemble a watchable product. And the method in which they do that is what a few here are equating to slavery. :noidea:

SteelersinCA
04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
This discussion has no legs.

TRH
04-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Thats true, i agree......and without civilian employees, there'd be no regular companies too.
The media has taken to portraying owners as greedy millionaires and the players as poor, badly-treated, employees barely living above poverty. Like i said, they're free, instead, to use their business degrees (that they probably didn't earn...) to enter the business world.
The fact is they're both greedy. A football player makes a few million and can't save and be responsible for his money after a few years? Poor baby? Uh......NO. Thats the argument i hear a lot. Remember....a civilian who makes 50K per year takes 20 years to make a million dollars while paying heavy health insurances. So we're supposed to "feel bad" that they 'only' made a few million (except the huge major stars like Ben, Brady, etc...) and it's gone or almost gone? The media has milked that one to death.

It's unfortunate and sad to see this thing right before our eyes heading directly to what MLB has become. Owners no one likes, players no one likes....
We can sit here all day and lay blame on both sides, but a 3rd side never mentioned is player agents. Thats the real destructive force and they've almost singlehandedly ruined and taken the "sport" and the "game" out of the game. To get back to thread topic, i have lost a good chunk of respect for Mendenhall. How dare he say that.

SteelersinCA
04-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Like i said, they're free, instead, to use their business degrees (that they probably didn't earn...) to enter the business world.

I'm pretty sure most NFL players do not have a degree. I saw a stat somewhere for it, but it's very low.

55BaileyFan
04-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Slavery and the NFL...I can see that.

By that I mean I can see that if slaves where paid millions of dollars to work a few months a year playing a game and were treated like celebrities every where they went....wait, thats not slavery at all.

The owners just want some compensation for the rising cost of stadiums, up keep, wages and cost of goods. It is simple business as wages rise, so do bills and as gas rises so does everything else.

I wish Steelers would just shut their mouths and let everyone else talk. Besides, if you are gonna run your mouth make sure you weren't the guy who fumbled on the drive that easily could have taken the lead in the Super Bowl.

thumper
04-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Yea, Rasheed, it's exactly like the slave trade except these guys remain
completely free - free to do anything within the laws, and, slaves were
forced to work for free and these guys make more than 99% of the
rest of us. But other than that, it's _just_ like trading slaves <rolls eyes>

jwmann2
04-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Slave trading wasn't a billion dollar industry and was inhumane. Not the same.

ricardisimo
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Thats true, i agree......and without civilian employees, there'd be no regular companies too.
The media has taken to portraying owners as greedy millionaires and the players as poor, badly-treated, employees barely living above poverty. Like i said, they're free, instead, to use their business degrees (that they probably didn't earn...) to enter the business world.
The fact is they're both greedy. A football player makes a few million and can't save and be responsible for his money after a few years? Poor baby? Uh......NO. Thats the argument i hear a lot. Remember....a civilian who makes 50K per year takes 20 years to make a million dollars while paying heavy health insurances. So we're supposed to "feel bad" that they 'only' made a few million (except the huge major stars like Ben, Brady, etc...) and it's gone or almost gone? The media has milked that one to death.

It's unfortunate and sad to see this thing right before our eyes heading directly to what MLB has become. Owners no one likes, players no one likes....
We can sit here all day and lay blame on both sides, but a 3rd side never mentioned is player agents. Thats the real destructive force and they've almost singlehandedly ruined and taken the "sport" and the "game" out of the game. To get back to thread topic, i have lost a good chunk of respect for Mendenhall. How dare he say that.
I'm curious to see what media you have been watching that has portrayed the players as "poor, badly-treated, employees barely living above poverty." Shoot us some links, because I haven't seen it or read it anywhere.

Moreover, no one here in this thread - not I, nor Harts, nor Peterson nor Mendenhall - have suggested any such thing. What this thread has degenerated into is a bunch of (probably) white guys who have become shocked - shocked, I say! - and offended by a vague parallel having been drawn between today's NFL players and the slaves of 150 years ago.

You people need to get over yourselves. People are allowed to call George Bush or Barack Obama a Nazi, even though neither one of them is technically affiliated with the Nazi Party and haven't started rounding up the Jews. I'm allowed to talk about how hellish it is here in Southern California in August and September, even though I'm not actually living in Hades. Metaphors. Similes. Comparison and contrast. Look them up.

A point was being made about the lack of control in one's own workplace, a point which Mendenhall could understand and which Tomlin went out of his way to support (albeit in a qualified manner.) Tomlin and Mendehall are not stupid people, and they both strike me as fellows who measure their words pretty carefully. Not to mention that many people much more learned than them have made similar use of slavery in dozens of other fields and types of economies. Get used to it and get over it.

SteelerEmpire
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
You just have to have a little sensitivity to African Americans and ANYTHING relating to the slave trade. Several upon several of generations of African Americans were decimated as a result of this practice by the "official" position of slavery of the United States of American government... not just it's civilians.
The USA cannot run from it's history just as much as Germany cannot from it's positions upon it's Jewish citizens... Neither country cannot change it's past, but it "can" say what it's future will be...

Wallace108
04-27-2011, 10:53 PM
You people need to get over yourselves.
It's kinda hard when we're right. http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/3798349058.gif

A point was being made about the lack of control in one's own workplace
I don't know about you, ric, but I don't have much control in my workplace either. I'm told what time I have to be there, what time I can eat, when I can go home, how much I'm going to get paid, what days and hours I have to work ...

And I assure you it's nothing even remotely close to slavery. I wouldn't even think about comparing it to slavery, even if it was just a simile, metaphor, analogy, whatever.

Get used to it and get over it.
I think it's Peterson and Mendy who need to get over it. :coffee:

ricardisimo
04-27-2011, 11:24 PM
And Chrissie Hynde sings about being on a chain gang, despite being a millionaire several times over herself. No matter. It's still a great song. As far as your work being even more apropos for the slavery analogy, great. Make the analogy... or don't. It's up to you, just like it's up to Peterson.

I doubt very much that an alum of the Night Owls is really losing any sleep over any offense taken by AP's comment. :wink02:

ricardisimo
04-27-2011, 11:27 PM
You just have to have a little sensitivity to African Americans and ANYTHING relating to the slave trade. Several upon several of generations of African Americans were decimated as a result of this practice by the "official" position of slavery of the United States of American government... not just it's civilians.
The USA cannot run from it's history just as much as Germany cannot from it's positions upon it's Jewish citizens... Neither country cannot change it's past, but it "can" say what it's future will be...
I'm not about to lecture African-Americans about how they are or are not to use slavery in their everyday speech. I wouldn't presume.

Wallace108
04-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I doubt very much that an alum of the Night Owls is really losing any sleep over any offense taken by AP's comment. :wink02:
:sofunny:

You win.

harts
04-29-2011, 12:49 AM
Freewill
So what
Yo guys act like I am making this up 2 NFL players (on record) said this
They know the NFL system
YOU DON'T

These "parallels to slavery" is the one of the main reasons why we are having this "labor" dispute going on because the players see what's going on and finally have a NFLPA leader who will do something about it and not be in the owners pocket as Upshaw was.

Plus they want their fair share of the MONEY!

Did you see Parcells the other night on his draft special (great insight by the way) and how he described players - how they were graded on physical attributes etc.
He basically was talking about them like they were racehorses

I know he needs to do it because that's what football requires

But the way he was talking about the players parallels the similar discussions they had about slaves
And mind you I am sure he toned down his talk for TV

I am just stating what I see
Just Like Mendy and Adrian stated what they see

The question was does the NFL have parallels to Slavery not is the NFL slavery
In an objective comparison the parallels are numerous
Therefore the answer is:
Yes

Simple logic
Freewill is irrelevant really to the topic - the process is the process

Wallace108
04-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Freewill
So what
Yo guys act like I am making this up 2 NFL players (on record) said this
They know the NFL system
YOU DON'T

These "parallels to slavery" is the one of the main reasons why we are having this "labor" dispute going on because the players see what's going on and finally have a NFLPA leader who will do something about it and not be in the owners pocket as Upshaw was.

Plus they want their fair share of the MONEY!

Did you see Parcells the other night on his draft special (great insight by the way) and how he described players - how they were graded on physical attributes etc.
He basically was talking about them like they were racehorses

I know he needs to do it because that's what football requires

But the way he was talking about the players parallels the similar discussions they had about slaves
And mind you I am sure he toned down his talk for TV

I am just stating what I see
Just Like Mendy and Adrian stated what they see

The question was does the NFL have parallels to Slavery not is the NFL slavery
In an objective comparison the parallels are numerous
Therefore the answer is:
Yes

Simple logic
Freewill is irrelevant really to the topic - the process is the process

I believe there's not much more we can add to this debate. :drink:

harts
04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
I believe there's not much more we can add to this debate. :drink:

exactly
I knew it coming in when I made my statements that many would respond as they did

I did think this post would be dead 5 pages ago

Shocked it was still active when I returned last night to read about the draft but some of this stuff had to be addressed

Galax Steeler
12-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Spam time to ban this one

Twentyvalve
12-31-2012, 08:40 AM
I bet in his mind he thinks the cultural climate "forces" him to play football. In his mind there is nothing else he can do to make a living. Oh yeah, why does everyone always mention the Super Bowl fumble like it is his last name? That is just as stupid as his comment. Sheesh.

The league is not guilty of "slaver." It is guilty of stupidity.

pete74
12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Got him. He he's gone

Bayz101
12-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Interesting article the spammer hit up. :chuckle:

Justp94
01-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 17, 2011

Running back Rashard Mendenhall is drawing attention to himself and not because of his costly fumble in Super Bowl XLV.

Mendenhall on Wednesday supported Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson's analogy between the NFL and the slave trade.

"It is a lot deep than most people understand," Mendenhall posted on the social networking site Twitter. "Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel each other."

Peterson, a perennial All-Pro, fired the most controversial salvo between players and owners following the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

Players decertified as a union Friday after they could not reach a deal with the owners on a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners responded by locking out the players Saturday.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" Peterson told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. "People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money ... the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey without us, there's no football.'

"I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done."

Peterson's comments generated heavy criticism, including from some NFL players.

Mendenhall, however, stood behind Peterson in a series of tweets posted late Tuesday and yesterday.

Mendenhall declined an interview requested from the Tribune-Review through his agent, Mike McCartney. McCartney confirmed that Mendenhall authored the tweets that appeared on his official Twitter site.

The Steelers also declined comment.

Mendenhall, who was coming off a second straight 1,000-yard season, is an unlikely player in the firestorm Peterson started. He is generally reserved around the media.

But he did not back off his Twitter comments, firing back at those who were critical of him.

"If you look back and dissect what I said, I didn't say that the NFL was slavery, I said that they parallel each other. Look up the word parallel," he wrote. "I could break down how but that would take an amount of ideology and big words that a lot of you wouldn't understand."

Another Mendenhall tweet said: "Learn to LISTEN before you pass judgement. Because speaking without knowledge of subject is truly ignorant."

Twitter has become popular among professional athletes.

Among the Steelers who have active accounts on Twitter or Facebook, another social media website, include receiver Hines Ward, strong safety Troy Polamalu and outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Professional athletes' use of Twitter became a hot topic in November after Buffalo Bills receiver Steve Johnson dropped what would have been a game-winning touchdown pass against the Steelers. After the Steelers 19-16 overtime win, Johnson sent a tweet blaming God for his miscue.

That drew attention to the drawbacks the immediacy of social media.

Mendenhall is coming off one of the best seasons by a Steelers running back. He rushed for 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns.

However, he lost a fumble at a critical juncture of last month's Super Bowl.

It came when the Steelers, who had scored 14 unanswered points, were driving in the third quarter against the Green Bay Packers.

The Steelers, who were trailing 21-17 when Mendenhall fumbled, lost, 31-25.

Read more: Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_727833.html#ixzz1GrtDMlUt

What's the point of this Thread? It's irrelevant as Mendenhall has a right to Freedom of Speech and his comments on his twitter account don't mean anything unless it breaks the NFL Conduct Policies...

austinfrench76
01-01-2013, 06:13 PM
The point of the article is to further illustrate that Mendenhall is a jack ass. That's it. That's me exercising my freedom to say what I want. Go away Justp94, troll.

ricardisimo
01-03-2013, 05:54 AM
What's the point of this Thread? It's irrelevant as Mendenhall has a right to Freedom of Speech and his comments on his twitter account don't mean anything unless it breaks the NFL Conduct Policies...
The point of the thread is to discuss a topic of interest to the members of this message board. It doesn't need to be anything more.
The point of the article is to further illustrate that Mendenhall is a jack ass. That's it. That's me exercising my freedom to say what I want. Go away Justp94, troll.
He will not go away, but you will if you keep that attitude up. Let's keep it civil.

lloydwoodson
01-07-2013, 01:52 AM
In Mendenhall's defense all the rookies who join the league are concentrated from their hometowns into one location where they go through the combine. At the combine they are poked and prodded by their wealthy bosses to see which are the biggest, strongest and fastest. The strong are purchased while the weak are discarded. Players have no say in where they choose to work and are instead told where they are to live and what work they will do.

I am not saying that the NFL is slavery I am just saying a person could draw a parallel. If you don't know what that means go look up the word "parallel." :wink02:

Thank God for "NFL slavery." Could you imagine the NFL if it were like the NBA and players could join whatever team they wanted at any time? How terrible would it be if Megatron, AD, Gronk, and Fitz pulled a LeBron and decided they were going to go join their bestest friend A-Rod in GB.

Bayz101
01-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Take a look at the date this thread was created.

Rowland2110
01-09-2013, 02:54 AM

Or only "worked" for 3-4 months a year.

maddog78
01-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Difference between the two is that Adrian would have escaped, Rashard would have been caught 2 yards after he ran and been branded with a small 'R' on his right cheek.

Thankfully, Rashard Unchained will be playing in Pittsburgh soon.

wwhickok
01-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Crap like is one of the many reasons I would be surprised to see Mendenhall stay in Pittsburgh.

tony hipchest
01-09-2013, 10:09 AM
holy threadbump, batman!

Difference between the two is that Adrian would have escaped, Rashard would have been caught 2 yards after he ran and been branded with a small 'R' on his right cheek.

:toofunny: thats great!

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't think salary alone is enough to denunk someone's claims that they are being treated badly by an employer. It is possible to be getting paid millions of dollars, but still be treated poorly or be given the "short end of the stick".

Lets face it-- we all make more money than SOMEBODY out there. Keep that in mind the next time you complain about your boss or complain abour your working conditions-- a less fortunate person will see you in the same light as you are now seeing Mendenhall in.

"Slavery!?!?!?!-- But he makes $50k a year! What is he complaining about?!?!?"

Again, lets be honest. Professional football players basically are the equivalent of yesterday's gladiators/slave warriors. They go into the arena to get maimed, injured, and broken, purely for the entertainment of the screaming masses, for lack of better opportunities in life. They are issued a "stall" where they keep their battlearmor (locker). They are bought and sold by the owners, as if they are thoroughbreds. They are celebrated as long as they keep the bloodthirsty masses screaming in howls of lust and fury-- the moment they show a drop-off in performance or lack of ability to get the frothing masses worked up, they get shown the door.

NFL players have very little control over their own destiny. They are slaves-- albeit well-compensated ones.

steelfury02
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
holy threadbump, batman!

:toofunny: thats great!

I guess when they sell the action figure, it'll say "Own your own Rashard!" and "Broomhilda Sold Separately"

teegre
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Now, THAT was awesome!!! :applaudit:

FYI: I heard that Gilbert was reprising the role of the dog, and his teammates' knees were playing the role of D'Artagnan.

Vis
01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Or only "worked" for 3-4 months a year.

The slave comment is idiotic but this isn't much better. Players get paid for their abilities. Retaining the abilities and the bodies to maximize them is real work.

torpedoshell31
01-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I don't think salary alone is enough to denunk someone's claims that they are being treated badly by an employer. It is possible to be getting paid millions of dollars, but still be treated poorly or be given the "short end of the stick".

Lets face it-- we all make more money than SOMEBODY out there. Keep that in mind the next time you complain about your boss or complain abour your working conditions-- a less fortunate person will see you in the same light as you are now seeing Mendenhall in.

"Slavery!?!?!?!-- But he makes $50k a year! What is he complaining about?!?!?"

Again, lets be honest. Professional football players basically are the equivalent of yesterday's gladiators/slave warriors. They go into the arena to get maimed, injured, and broken, purely for the entertainment of the screaming masses, for lack of better opportunities in life. They are issued a "stall" where they keep their battlearmor (locker). They are bought and sold by the owners, as if they are thoroughbreds. They are celebrated as long as they keep the bloodthirsty masses screaming in howls of lust and fury-- the moment they show a drop-off in performance or lack of ability to get the frothing masses worked up, they get shown the door.

NFL players have very little control over their own destiny. They are slaves-- albeit well-compensated ones.

You're forgetting one important fact, real slaves had no choice in the matter, NFL players can simply quit the game any time they want. If Mendenhall would be more happy stacking shelves at Wal-Mart, then he can quit football and go do that. No one is making him play football, it is his choice of profession and he can leave it any time he likes.

maddog78
01-10-2013, 07:23 AM
The slave comment is idiotic but this isn't much better. Players get paid for their abilities. Retaining the abilities and the bodies to maximize them is real work.

Of course, some retain their bodies better than others.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/big-casey-hampton.jpg

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Of course, some retain their bodies better than others.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/big-casey-hampton.jpg

he's not a player he just crushes alot

Vis
01-10-2013, 07:40 AM
he's not a player he just crushes alot

He has second job taste testing everything

steelfury02
01-10-2013, 08:00 AM
He has second job taste testing everything

lol

the snozberries taste like snozberries
3pwvB4_Te8A

ricardisimo
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
And it's all year round.

steelfury02
02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
"Deebee Generator offering Diesel Generator on Hire, Diesel Generator for rent, D.G. Set Hiring, Generator rentals, Mobile Soundproof D.G Set Hire, Diesel Generator rental Service provider and Soundproof Generator Hire in Bangalore, India" (http://www.deebeegenerator.com)

you have chosen . . . poorly

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 08:49 AM
you have chosen . . . poorly

you can't take the grail across the seal

Blacksburg Zach
02-18-2013, 09:34 AM
"Deebee Generator offering Diesel Generator on Hire, Diesel Generator for rent, D.G. Set Hiring, Generator rentals, Mobile Soundproof D.G Set Hire, Diesel Generator rental Service provider and Soundproof Generator Hire in Bangalore, India" (http://www.deebeegenerator.com)

Spam bots just post the most insightful things.

harrison'samonster
02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
actually I was looking for a good Mobile Soundproof Diesel Generator Set

Blacksburg Zach
02-18-2013, 09:41 AM
actually I was looking for a good Mobile Soundproof Diesel Generator Set

Well, it appears as if Steelers Fever Forums is just the perfect place to look for that sort of thing. Just ask Deebeegensets, for he/she/it has been posting a link for that in several threads on this forum.:chuckle:

TheVet
02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
The worst part about bumping this thread with mobile generators is that now I'm thinking about Rashard Mendenhall, something I was hoping to avoid forever after this season.

IowaSteeler927
02-20-2013, 04:50 AM
Yeah cause slaves lived in lavish mansions, had all the freedoms of normal free people, and made millions of dollars. First off I want this turd off our team, second these comments really don't surprise me that much in light of his 9/11 comments.