PDA

View Full Version : Ward Backs Off Statements

Midnightwriter07
05-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Ward backs off on statements

By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, May 12, 2006

Steelers receiver Hines Ward has a reputation for nasty downfield blocking, but the Super Bowl XL Most Valuable Player has proven proficient in backpedaling.
In a feature in this week's Sports Illustrated, Ward said of his relationship with Steelers coach Bill Cowher: "I don't have anything to say to him. After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys...?"

In an exclusive interview with WTAE-TV (Channel 4), Ward backtracked. He tried to clarify the context of his comments, which were made in reference to the organization using first-round draft choices on receivers Troy Edwards and Plaxico Burress.

"It was a good article, but everything got taken out of context," Ward said. "The question to me was about what was the lowest part of your contract holdout, what were some things going on in your mind."

Ward told WTAE's Sally Wiggin that, during his 15-day training camp holdout, Ward asked Jerome Bettis for advice and was told not to take it personal. Ward couldn't resist, calling Cowher to ask "man-to-man" how the coach felt about the Pro Bowl receiver "as a player."

In September, Ward signed a five-year, $27 million contract with $17 million guaranteed. It's the richest deal in team history. And it paid dividends.

"Once we had our talk, that was it," Ward said. "That's the reason why I came back to camp: I needed to hear that from him. That was the question, how it was set up and asked.

"So, the quotes that was said to that was speaking to the contract negotiation. So, it all got blown out of proportion."

It was nothing a Lombardi Trophy couldn't solve.

"I had to call coach Cowher and let him know kind of how it all got (this far)," Ward said, "but we're fine."

HburgXL06
05-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Got that one right: media twisted his words. Not surprisin. Peace.

BuFu

blackvelvet
05-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Got that one right: media twisted his words. Not surprisin. Peace.

BuFu

Media twisting words...what else is new? :rolleyes:

HburgXL06
05-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Media twisting words...what else is new? :rolleyes:

True that, typical.

BuFu

aburdell
05-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Did the media really think that Hines Ward of all people would be the next to act like T.O.? Im suprised that it was Sports Illustrated who "twisted" Ward's words, usually they tell the truth.

CantStop85
05-12-2006, 10:29 PM
I would've put Marino at #2 behind Unitas. Had the steelers gotten/kept both Unitas and Marino, steeler fans most likely would have been chanting "one for the (second) thumb" this season.

SteelCityMan786
05-12-2006, 10:33 PM
That's what the media does. Distort. There are some though who actually have a mind

clevestinks
05-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Hines = class act

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 08:48 AM
"So, the quotes that was said to that was speaking to the contract negotiation"

What on earth does this mean?

Anyway, even if the comments weren't related directly to the ongoing contract negotiations - he still said them.

Of course he isn't the angel that some Steeler fans want to believe, who never says anything wrong or acts selfishly.

But relatively speaking, as a footballer, he is a standard bearer for top class - both in his attitude and his demeanor.

NM

Mosca
05-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Nothing to back off from.

Like LITP says, he isn't an angel, but none of us are. I think we've all spoken frankly about our bosses at some time in the past... but the press wasn't around, either. In most cases that's probably a good thing. We're easier to replace than Hines.

Topm

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I think we've all spoken frankly about our bosses at some time in the past... but the press wasn't around, either.

Very true. I'm sure a good number of us made negative comments pertaining to our bosses. The difference is, I can't imagine making negative statements pertaining to my boss if I had the choice to in front of the media. Hines Ward did have a choice and he chose to make his statements.

As you stated, nobody is perfect and there is no denying that.....but some feel he can do no wrong. In this situation, I believe he was.

melroseplace
05-13-2006, 09:49 AM
I had a feeling his words were taken out of context, but what he said wasn't that bad. it doesn't surprise me tho that he wanted to clarify what he meant

Mosca
05-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I still say it's nothing. If you think they want to keep you, your negotiating strategy has to involve letting them think you have no problem walking away.

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I still say it's nothing. If you think they want to keep you, your negotiating strategy has to involve letting them think you have no problem walking away.

Well sure, making them think you have the option of walking away is one thing, complaining about how we draft and what we draft while making negative comments pertaining to your boss is another thing.

hardwork
05-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Without the Bus around to keep these hot-heads in line we might see a lot of this.

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Without the Bus around to keep these hot-heads in line we might see a lot of this.

In my opinion, that's completely ludicrous, but to each their own. I'm sure many outside Steeler Nation would love to see it happen, so they actually believe it.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 10:02 AM
cowher keeps the hotheads in line not bus. its not like hines said he wanted to kick his coaches ass or anything.

Hammer67
05-13-2006, 10:03 AM
What on earth does this mean?

Anyway, even if the comments weren't related directly to the ongoing contract negotiations - he still said them.

Of course he isn't the angel that some Steeler fans want to believe, who never says anything wrong or acts selfishly.

But relatively speaking, as a footballer, he is a standard bearer for top class - both in his attitude and his demeanor.

NM

My cousin knows him personally and said of all the players, he is the nicest one. She said a lot of them are cheap (Bettis being the specific example she used). She also said that Roethlisberger is nice but quiet and a bit aloof. Food for thought.

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 10:37 AM
My cousin knows him personally and said of all the players, he is the nicest one. She said a lot of them are cheap (Bettis being the specific example she used). She also said that Roethlisberger is nice but quiet and a bit aloof. Food for thought.

Its nice to have a bit of personal insight into what these players are actually like.

I have no doubts he is a great guy - but he is still just a guy - who makes mistakes and says the wrong thing now and then.

I dont blame Ben for being a bit aloof - as QB you have to keep some distance between you and the rest of the team - well, so I would imagine anyway.

NM

hardwork
05-13-2006, 02:59 PM
She also said that Roethlisberger is nice but quiet and a bit aloof. Food for thought.

Could be more trouble ahead. A quiet and aloof QB with the lowest QB rating in SB history, and the emotional heart of your team now gone in the Bus? Add that to a jealous WR who is threatened by any additional talent drafted at his position. That's a lot to overcome especially with what happens to most teams after a SB victory anyway.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 03:06 PM
as long as the steelers dont have players start dropping from strokes (as if that actually ever happens) they should be fine.

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 03:22 PM
In my opinion, I kind of expected Ben to be quiet and aloof. Kid was only in his second year as a starter surrounded by veterans who have been leaders of this team long before Ben was drafted. What do you expect? I've noticed over the last two seasons he's starting to come around and take more of a leadership role. That's normally how it works with young guys coming into the NFL.

As for his QB rating in the SB, even though this has been discussed on many occasions, he got the job done. Also try to keep in mind that he is still a kid. He's still learning the game. That's something QB's that have played in let alone won past Super Bowls can not say. For those who put that much emphasis on his QB rating obviously have zero understanding of the game. Once again.......he got the job done in his second year.

As for Hines Ward. While I did not agree with his comments made at the beginning of this past season, he has not stated that he has a problem with the additions of Holmes or Reid. Like I said before, many people want to see this team implode, so they actually start to believe what comes out of their mouths no matter how pathetically stupid it may be. It's not surprising......:yawn:

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 03:42 PM
How is this taken out of context? Easy, I'll show you:

SI: "Tell me, when you were in the middle of your contract holdout, and the Steelers weren't talking to you, what was going through your mind? What was your thought process?"
Ward: "I was thinking to myself 'I don't have anything to say to him. After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys...?', stuff like that"

Next thing you know, the quote is extracted from the rest of the quote, SI gets some controversy and hopefully sells some more mags.

Movie reviewers have this happen all the time. Say they are reviewing "The Day After Tomorrow". They state "This disaster of a movie was the biggest POS I have ever seen. I couldn't stop wishing I could take my eyes out of their sockets, unscrew the top of my head off, remove my brain in a partial labotomy, anything, just so I wouldn't have to view another second of it!".

It ends up as this review:
"This disaster movie...I couldn't take my eyes off it!"

hardwork
05-13-2006, 09:00 PM
In my opinion, I kind of expected Ben to be quiet and aloof. Kid was only in his second year as a starter surrounded by veterans who have been leaders of this team long before Ben was drafted. What do you expect? I've noticed over the last two seasons he's starting to come around and take more of a leadership role. That's normally how it works with young guys coming into the NFL.

As for his QB rating in the SB, even though this has been discussed on many occasions, he got the job done. Also try to keep in mind that he is still a kid. He's still learning the game. That's something QB's that have played in let alone won past Super Bowls can not say. For those who put that much emphasis on his QB rating obviously have zero understanding of the game. Once again.......he got the job done in his second year.

As for Hines Ward. While I did not agree with his comments made at the beginning of this past season, he has not stated that he has a problem with the additions of Holmes or Reid. Like I said before, many people want to see this team implode, so they actually start to believe what comes out of their mouths no matter how pathetically stupid it may be. It's not surprising......:yawn:

Well I'm just trying to help the Steelers out. Provide some of my considerable wisdom, insight, genius, etc. After all, we need some measure of competition out there. I wouldn't want to see us win all of the remaining 4 SBs in this decade only to have people say we didn't play anyone of substance.

So, remember Steeler fans, every time you try and land on that pitching deck known as the Super Bowl, it looks a little smaller. Unless, of course, you have a fighter pilot named Tom Brady maneuvering the stick.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Well I'm just trying to help the Steelers out. Provide some of my considerable wisdom, insight, genius, etc. After all, we need some measure of competition out there. I wouldn't want to see us win all of the remaining 4 SBs in this decade only to have people say we didn't play anyone of substance.

So, remember Steeler fans, every time you try and land on that pitching deck known as the Super Bowl, it looks a little smaller. Unless, of course, you have a fighter pilot named Tom Brady maneuvering the stick.

heh heh. you said "maneuvering the stick" :jerkit:

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2006, 06:24 AM
Well I'm just trying to help the Steelers out.

Help with what exactly? Your still losing me buddy. So far everything you've stated has been rebutted. Your brought up leadership, we brought up Cowher and other veterans on this team. You brought up Ward and I brought up that his comments had nothing to do with the drafting of Holmes or Reid. Ward was recently quoted as stating "He's a playmaker. He looks good. He made a couple of big catches today. That's what I saw on him in highlight tapes. Hopefully, he can go out there and continue to make plays and he's going to get better and better as he learns the offense and that will be big for our offense." pertaining to Santonio Holmes. Doesn't sound like a guy who has a problem with the Steelers bringing in WR's now. Keep thinking that though. You brought Roethlisberger's QB rating (still trying to figure out what that has to do with anything) and that was slowly explained to you.

j-dawg
05-14-2006, 11:29 AM
bill cowher would probably say this was a case of yellow journalism.

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2006, 11:41 AM
bill cowher would probably say this was a case of yellow journalism.

Whatever it takes to continue winning Super Bowls and staying a contender in this division. :bouncy:

Black@Gold Forever32
05-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Could be more trouble ahead. A quiet and aloof QB with the lowest QB rating in SB history, and the emotional heart of your team now gone in the Bus? Add that to a jealous WR who is threatened by any additional talent drafted at his position. That's a lot to overcome especially with what happens to most teams after a SB victory anyway.

I guess you rather have Ben with a QB rating of 100 or above and lose the Super Bowl then have a rating of 22 and win the Super Bowl. Ben is 27-4 as a starter plus the way he played in the playoffs proves how good he is. Before I hear the running game and defense crap about Ben being 27-4. Yea Ben didn't have to carry the team. But Dan Marino carried the Phins all those years and didn't win a Super Bowl. Plus great QB's like Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Aikman and Brady all didn't do it alone. Brady probally had the least help as the QB's I mentioned. But the Pats were still a very good football team overall.

Tom Brady puts them over the top. Like Ben puts us over the top. Now for the few Pats in this forum I'm not saying Ben is as good as Tom. Brady has 3 Super Bowls to Ben's one. Just saying the Steelers fell short so many times under Cowher due to their bad QB's play. Yea Ben had that 22 rating in the Super Bowl but his play in the Super Bowl run in the playoffs speaks for itself. Not to mention that Ben was playing with a injured thumb and really was just pushing the ball off his hand.

Its funny Ben has done nothing but exceed our expectations of him and he still has to put up with people knocking him.

j-dawg
05-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Whatever it takes to continue winning Super Bowls and staying a contender in this division. :bouncy:

i'm not dissing cowher... the sports media spins more than all the spinners i saw on sunset blvd. last night...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/chris_rock-box.gif

"look, they're spinning, they're spinning!"

Haiku_Dirtt
05-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Yeah. I just talked to Bill and he couldn't stop with the accolades for you and you're advice.

By the way after my talk with Cowher I gave Pete Carroll a call. He thinks you can probably help him with recruiting. But he did say that you and the "maneuvering stick" should stay well clear of West Hollywood.

Sigh. Another dunce.

j-dawg
05-14-2006, 01:14 PM
But he did say that you and the "maneuvering stick" should stay well clear of West Hollywood.

Sigh. Another dunce.

:sofunny: :rofl: :laughing: :finger:

hardwork
05-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Plus great QB's like Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Aikman and Brady all didn't do it alone. Brady probally had the least help as the QB's I mentioned. But the Pats were still a very good football team overall.

Tom Brady puts them over the top. Like Ben puts us over the top. Now for the few Pats in this forum I'm not saying Ben is as good as Tom. Brady has 3 Super Bowls to Ben's one.

Good post.