PDA

View Full Version : Slaves? Hardly

mesaSteeler
03-17-2011, 11:43 PM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard on Tuesday nights throughout the season from 7 to 9 p.m. on WBGG 970-AM.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Slaves? Hardly
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Earlier this week, Adrian Peterson likened NFL players to slaves. Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall then backed Peterson's comment later this week.

That is hardly the case and is demeaning to the people who actually were slaves.

Slaves were forced to work in their job with no say in what they were doing or how they were doing it. They also received no monetary compensation.

NFL players choose to work in the NFL. There's nothing written anywhere that says college football players MUST play in the NFL.

But they do so because they either enjoy playing the game or enjoy the compensation that comes with being an NFL player.

Yes, they cannot readily change jobs. But that is because they sign a contract to work for a certain team.

Do they have to join the team that drafts them? Nope.

There have been instances where a player has forced a trade rather than play for a team prior to ever playing a down for that club - John Elway being the most famous.

And players hold out in an effort to force their trade or release all the time.

But they are compensated well.

Is it a perfect system? Nope.

But to say that NFL players are slaves borders on the ridiculous.

TRH
03-18-2011, 01:15 PM
it's not just ridiculous. It's disturbing and its too bad they can get away with comments like that. If an owner made a comment about slaves, or hell, even you or me, the NAACP would be down our throats faster than you can blink.

zulater
03-18-2011, 03:34 PM
it's not just ridiculous. It's disturbing and its too bad they can get away with comments like that. If an owner made a comment about slaves, or hell, even you or me, the NAACP would be down our throats faster than you can blink.

Or God forbid, a white player. Imagine if Brett Keisel had said what Peterson said, he'd have hell to pay right now.

mesaSteeler
03-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Or God forbid, a white player. Imagine if Brett Keisel had said what Peterson said, he'd have hell to pay right now.

I think you have hit upon it. This is a back door way for the players to play the race card against the owners. It's pathetic.

Lord of Lombardi
03-19-2011, 10:23 PM
This comment from Adrian Peterstupid is exactly why most players are only qualified to play football. Leave the logic and ability to convey an intelligent thought to the rest of us. Slavery.....I guess you go to war every Sunday too eh Dumbass. I know what that's like and I'd love to sit and discuss it with you... As soon as you're freed. I guess.

pitt0wns
03-20-2011, 01:30 AM
slaves? How much money are these players making and they have the balls to throw that out there?

NFL is a joke these days.

Goodell needs to be gone