PDA

View Full Version : Rookie snapshot: Cedric Humes.....

DIESELMAN
05-13-2006, 06:00 AM
New Steelers running back Cedric Humes will likely have to wait his turn before he gets a shot at carrying the football for his new team.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/315578.jpg

With 1,200-yard rusher Willie Parker and veterans Duce Staley and Verron Haynes ahead of him on the depth chart, Humes, a seventh-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, has some obstacles to overcome to make the team.

But the 6-1, 233-pound Humes, whom the Pittsburgh Steelers selected in the seventh round of the draft, is used to waiting his turn.

After all, he chose to attend Virginia Tech ? choosing the Hokies over Pitt ? in the same recruiting class as Parade All-American running back Kevin Jones, a first-round pick two years ago of Detroit. Considering the Hokies also had Lee Suggs, who now plays for the Cleveland Browns, there wasn?t a lot of room for Humes to get the ball.

So while Suggs and then Jones got the bulk of the carries early in Humes? stay at Virginia Tech, it was his turn to shine when Jones left early for the NFL in 2004.

Unfortunately, early in a scrimmage in Virginia Tech?s 2004 spring practice, Humes suffered a broken bone in his lower left leg. The injury was bad enough that by the time the Hokies were preparing for the 2004 season, his leg still wasn?t 100 percent.

Humes, a power back, struggled, gaining just 153 yards on his first 41 carries.

?It was a mental thing with Cedric,? Virginia Tech running backs coach Billy Hite told the Fredericksburg Free Lance Star. ?Even after he got healthy, he was worried he was going to get hurt again. He just couldn?t turn it loose.?

Humes eventually fell behind Mike Imoh and Justin Hamilton on the depth chart, further eroding his confidence.

?I definitely had my down moments,? Humes told the Free Lance Star. ?I had worked hard to be the best. I was wondering what was going to happen to me: Was I going to be big here or just a mediocre guy??

He chose to be big, turning his season - and career - around against Florida A&M. Humes rushed for 120 yards and two touchdown in Virginia Tech?s 62-0 rout. He followed that up with 85 yards against Maryland, 95 yards against Virginia and 110 in a win over Miami that gave the Hokies the ACC Championship in their first season in the conference.

Suddenly, a player rated as one of the top-10 players in Virginia in 2001 by the Roanoke Times, ahead of the likes of tight end Heath Miller, now with the Steelers, and offensive lineman Elton Brown, now of the Arizona Cardinals, was playing like one.

Despite his slow start, he finished the season with 605 yards on 130 carries with five touchdowns.

Despite that strong finish, Humes went into his final season at Virginia Tech sharing time with Imoh, another talented runner. Imoh was the speed back, Humes the pounder.

And the pounder got pounded. During the Hokies? Oct. 8 game against Marshall, Humes broke the ulna bone in his right arm. He spent the second half of the game on the sideline with his arm in a sling. But not wanting this injury to ruin his season as the broken leg did before, Humes had surgery wasn was back on the football field 19 days later.

?I?ve worked so hard to get to this point,? Humes told the Free Lance Star. ?Playing running back at Virginia Tech is a constant competition. I knew I had to get back as soon as I could or I might end up third- or fourth-string.?

Humes finished his final season for the Hokies with 752 yards on 162 carries with a team-best 11 touchdowns.

Now, he?ll face a similar challenge breaking into the lineup for the defending Super Bowl champions. When he does that, he can recall the days at Virginia Tech when things weren?t always going his way. When he stayed hungry and worked hard to stay on the football field.

?I want to be remembered for my hard work, for my ability to come back,? Humes told the Hokies? media department. ?I think the main thing is about the injury. I fought through it and some guys would never be the same after that injury, but I came back to my old self.?

Even though he's a seventh-round pick, that doesn't mean he won't get a chance with the Steelers. Parker made the team two years ago as an undrafted rookie, while Haynes was a fifth-round pick.

And with an opening on the roster created by the retirement of Jerome Bettis, Humes will be in the mix for a roster spot.

"Whatever I go there to do, and whatever I do, I'm going to compete," Humes said. "If that's the job that I need to compete for, I definitely will. I definitely believe that I can be the short-yardage guy."

By: Dale Lolley
Courtesy of the Observer-Reporter
Date: May 12, 2006

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Maybe he will be worth keeping on purely for goalline situations - then again - just because he is a 'power back' doesn't mean he will be able to do anything in the NFL.

His name has potential for a nickname though - "Problems with Rats?...Call the Humigator"

Or something better :cool:

NM

DIESELMAN
05-13-2006, 09:06 AM
just because he is a 'power back' doesn't mean he will be able to do anything in the NFL.
NM

The same could be said for Maroney who pusses out when the hole isn't big enough.....:helmet:

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 10:20 AM
His name has potential for a nickname though - "Problems with Rats?...Call the Humigator"

NM

*the sound of crickets chirping*

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 10:27 AM

:toofunny:

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 10:31 AM

Ha ha.

Expected.

Chirping crickets are a regular audience for my lame attempts at humor :sofunny:

Still....

NM

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 10:32 AM
The same could be said for Maroney who pusses out when the hole isn't big enough.....:helmet:

Yeah they are very similar RB's - picked in the same round of the draft and everything. :rolleyes:

NM

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 10:38 AM
still....

the humeidifyer

the humean wrecking ball

relative humidity.

humigator isnt as well known of a term as exterminator. in fact theres a ride at kennywoods amusement park in pittsburgh called "the exterminator" where big mean rats is the theme.

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 10:42 AM
still....

the humeidifyer

the humean wrecking ball

relative humidity.

humigator isnt as well known of a term as exterminator. in fact theres a ride at kennywoods amusement park in pittsburgh called "the exterminator" where big mean rats is the theme.

I considered the humidifier or the dehumidifier - but you have take a bit of poetic license and try and make it related to heat...or so it says here in my 'designing nicknames for footballers' manual.....

Hume-an wrecking ball I like......

Relative humidity would only work if he gets to knock his 2nd cousin (or something) on his ass during a play.....

Dont ya just love the offseason!

NM

DIESELMAN
05-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah they are very similar RB's - picked in the same round of the draft and everything. :rolleyes:

NM
Just because Maroney got drafted in the first round don't make him any better......Every rookie still has to prove himself.....Time will tell.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 10:45 AM
brian urlacher was just humeschooled ( homeschooled )

yeah, i think the hume-an wrecking ball will stick. ass'hume'ing he lands on the roster.

Hypnotic
05-13-2006, 11:42 AM
How about we call Cedric the "Hummer" aka H32 or whatever number he will have which I believe is 30.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 11:50 AM
How about we call Cedric the "Hummer" aka H32 or whatever number he will have which I believe is 30.

nice

clevestinks
05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
It will have to be H something since Hummer is retiring the H1 next season. I think you are right, H32 sounds good

Hypnotic
05-13-2006, 11:55 AM
It will have to be H something since Hummer is retiring the H1 next season. I think you are right, H32 sounds good

Yeah, I did read about them halting all promotions for the H1 yesterday.

Livinginthe past
05-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Just because Maroney got drafted in the first round don't make him any better......Every rookie still has to prove himself.....Time will tell.

Hmm thats pretty funny.

Humes is just as likely to succeed as Reggie Bush aswell then?

Yeahhhh okayyyyy.

Ill have a pint of whatever youre on.

NM

DIESELMAN
05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Hmm thats pretty funny.

Humes is just as likely to succeed as Reggie Bush aswell then?

Yeahhhh okayyyyy.

Ill have a pint of whatever youre on.

NM

All I'm saying is there wasn't a whole lot of whoopla over Maroney leading up to the draft, hes got his negatives also. Time will tell. I take it you don't think Bush will prosper in New Orleans?

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 06:53 PM
This is a guy who played short yardage/big back against top 1-A competition but didn't have the offense around him that LenDale White did. He made his own yards, and did it the hard way.

The Steelers STOLE Humes in the 7th...the only people who would knock this kid are people who've never seen him play, or, possibly, jackasses who like to stir Steelers fans up.

clevestinks
05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
This is a guy who played short yardage/big back against top 1-A competition but didn't have the offense around him that LenDale White did. He made his own yards, and did it the hard way.

The Steelers STOLE Humes in the 7th...the only people who would knock this kid are people who've never seen him play, or, possibly, jackasses who like to stir Steelers fans up.
I hope your right, if he pand out, major rep points for you.

The Steelers STOLE Humes in the 7th. " Is worth 100 rep points if your right":bouncy:

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Humes was targeted early as anywhere from 3rd to 5th, and I never saw him farther down on a chart than 6th.

But thats all inconsequential...he's the real deal.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Well Humes is the perfect big back for our offense. I really liked the pick in the 7th round. Humes was a good college back and I hope he continues the tradition of big backs for the Steelers. But I love having a speed back as a starter. I loved watching the Steelers big backs over power defense through the years. But Willie has the speed and ability to take it to the house on any given play. But as the Steelers have proved over the last five years. You need more then one runningback. I hope Humes develops. I just hope he makes the team. Parker, Staley, Haynes and Krieder all have spots. The Steelers usually carry five so Humes should make the final roster.

Livinginthe past
05-14-2006, 11:54 AM
All I'm saying is there wasn't a whole lot of whoopla over Maroney leading up to the draft, hes got his negatives also. Time will tell. I take it you don't think Bush will prosper in New Orleans?

Well I think that Bush would prosper just about anywhere.

These players (Bush, Maroney, Roethlisberger) go in the 1st round for a reason - its simply that they are much better prospects than the guys in the 6th/7th round.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule - Tom Brady, Priest Holmes, Fast Willie (to some extent) - but the percentages greatly favor players succeeding if they are picked in a higher round.

Maybe you have got a sleeper guy in the lower rounds if he has had to share carries, or QB time or maybe he has been injured - but from what I have heard about Humes - he is just slow...big yes....but still slow - and his yardage/average is unspectacular.

If he was that great then he wouldnt have lasted to the point he did.

NM

STEEL-MAN
05-14-2006, 12:29 PM
I got my doubts about Humes, think it will be tough for him to make the team...
Steelers have a great deal of faith in Duce and Parker maybe they will still try and trade or draft a big guy next year...
As in the past I hope I'm wrong about Humes but I don't like where they pick him or the pick...
Lets face it maybe 4 guys from this draft will make the team it is the plain reality of professional football

I do, however, see the strong man FA being someone they find a way to hold on to...