PDA

View Full Version : The Ike Taylor Frame of Mind

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Steelers Minicamp: Taylor promises no work stoppage
Saturday, May 13, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers take the field together today for the first time since Feb. 5 in Detroit, and Ike Taylor promises there will be no repeat of the infamous Mother's Day minicamp holdout.

Taylor, who played superbly for a first-year starter at cornerback last season, has a one-year contract with the Steelers and is working on a long-term deal. That was receiver Plaxico Burress' situation two years ago when he blew off the three-day mandatory minicamp because, he later complained, it was held over Mother's Day. Instead, he attended a Miami Heat playoff game that night in Florida. Burress then skipped the rest of the team's spring workouts and played one more season before he signed with the New York Giants as a free agent.

The Steelers and Scott Smith, Taylor's agent, have negotiated for weeks on a long-term contract with little progress. In the meantime, Taylor last week signed the one-year tender of $1,573,000 the club issued him, and he said yesterday he never has been happier.

"You have to stay positive," Taylor said. "There's nothing really negative about it. I feel as a player, you're going to come out on top and, as a staff, they're going to come out on top. It's just both meeting halfway trying to get something done."

Many players grow anxious as they approach their last season under contract for many reasons, even though the players fought for free agency in the late 1980s and received it from grudging NFL management with the collective bargaining agreement of 1992. A new contract, for good players, means millions in a signing bonus, money that can't be revoked because of injury or subpar play. It's the only true guarantee of virtually all NFL contracts. A long-term, sizable contract also eases doubts about their future and shows the club's willingness for them to be part of that future.

A fat, new contract shows the money and the love.

Taylor may well have some of those anxieties, but he professed otherwise.

"I don't think there's a negative part to it," Taylor said, "because I'm doing something a lot of people would like to do, that's playing football in the NFL, and I'm enjoying myself and enjoying playing for Pittsburgh. As far as any negatives, I see no negatives in this."

Last season, his third, was Taylor's first as a starter, but he played well enough for the Steelers to believe he has a good future. The tender they gave him as a restricted free agent meant that had another team signed him, it would have had to give the Steelers a first-round draft choice in return. His contract for 2006 represents a 414 percent increase over his $380,000 salary from last season. If he does not get a new contract from the Steelers he would become an unrestricted free agent next year and likely command a sizable signing bonus on the open market if he continues to play the way he did in 2005.

"It's still a slow process. We're still negotiating," said Taylor. "It's something I can't worry about. We have minicamp coming up, and I'll take it one day at a time.

"I want to be here. I want to stay here. You can't let it bother you. We'll get it worked out, there's no rush."

Taylor has worked out voluntarily with his teammates at the Steelers' training facility on the South Side the past three weeks and plans no work stoppage, not now, not in training camp. Before he arrived in Pittsburgh, he had been working with trainer Tom Shaw in Orlando, Fla., since shortly after the team's Super Bowl victory.

"I'm not a holdout guy. I don't want to be like that, I just want to play football and win games," Taylor said. "Whatever happens, it is what it is. I'm just going to let it be like that.

"We're still talking. Sometimes, there are standstills, but that's understandable. That's the negotiating part of it, the business aspect. It's teaching me a lot. I'm learning a lot, asking a lot of questions. I want to know what's going on. I don't want to be in the dark. It's kind of interesting, to be honest with you."

Taylor, who led the NFL with 24 passes defensed last season, won't say if he feels he is among the better cornerbacks in the league.

"Hopefully, I can be. I'm going on my second season starting. It's just a matter of time. I'll try to be productive on the field and let you guys decide whether I'm a top corner or an average corner. My goal is to be one of the best."

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 07:47 AM
"I'm not a holdout guy. I don't want to be like that, I just want to play football and win games," Taylor said. "Whatever happens, it is what it is. I'm just going to let it be like that.

Even though I'll believe it when I see it, that's something you don't hear everyday in today's sports world.

clevestinks
05-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Taylor must be looking for that huge payday, of course. But he needs to keep in mind that part of his success may be the Steelers system, and how much heat we can get on opposing qbs. He might not have the same successs elsewhere, I mean get paid but don`t try breaking the bank

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 08:11 AM
I mean get paid but don`t try breaking the bank

I agree. I said the same thing when Ward held out. Many wanted the Steelers FO to "pay him whatever he wants".

Haiku_Dirtt
05-13-2006, 12:20 PM
He's saying the right thing. But I get this feeling that he doesn't expect a new contract anytime soon. He's not getting anything close to what he wants and this is how he responds...like a man.

SteelProven
05-13-2006, 01:03 PM
How does everybody assume that I. Taylor wants a huge contract. Because some columist said he demanded a double digit signing bonus. If he knows that he has room to improve he knows he isn't going to get a ridiculous signing bonus or contract. I think this kid has what it takes and if resigned will pay big dividends when it all said and done. IMO

SteelCityMan786
05-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Smart choice Ike. Get working on your contract. Stay with us man.

SteelShooter
05-13-2006, 01:53 PM
He's saying the right thing. But I get this feeling that he doesn't expect a new contract anytime soon. He's not getting anything close to what he wants and this is how he responds...like a man.

VERY WLL SAID! :cooldude:

I agree with you Haiku. Of course he wants more money...who in the world doesn't? But he is at least, as you stated perfectly, responding like a man. I do think he wants to stay in the Burgh. I do think he realizes he has a good thing going. I just hope that, as the season progresses and he gets closer to Free Agency, that he doesn't catch the Burress/ARE Syndrome. :headshake:

Money, or the prospect of a LOT of money, can change a person........................just ask the Redskins! :stirthepot:

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm telling you, we should sign him now for reasonable money, because when he elevates himself into the rare air of the elite cover corners of this league next season, he's gonna be looking for Redskins money...

Ike is gonna be a superstar...

83-Steelers-43
05-13-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm telling you, we should sign him now for reasonable money, because when he elevates himself into the rare air of the elite cover corners of this league next season, he's gonna be looking for Redskins money...

All I can really say to that response is that I agree 100%.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 04:17 PM

Ike is gonna be a superstar...i agree on ike. we get him cheaper if we work out a long term deal. probably 1.5 - 2 mil cheaper / year than if we franchise him next year. (the average of the top 5 cb's is probably around 7 million a year.) if the steelers work quick enough they can probably lock him in at 25 mil for 5 years which seems like alot now but will look like a steal 3 years from now.

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 05:45 PM
What kind of money did Green Bay overpay for an overrated and probably past-his-prime-and-should-be-playing-safety Charles Woodson? 50 for 7 and 10 for the first year?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-13-2006, 06:00 PM
I really liked Ike's potential when we drafted him. Last year he started coming into his own as an NFL corner. The sky is the limit for Ike Taylor. I also love the kids work ethic and attitude. I'm with you guys on signing him long term now. What did Ike have last year like 24 passes defensed. My only complaint on Ike hold on to some of them. I swear Ike dropped 11 potential Int's last year.

Overall the Steelers secondary is young with lots of potential. Ike and Bryant McFadden are two very good young corners. Ricardo Colclough who still looks lost at times has tons of physical skills and potentil. This will be Ricardo's third year in the NFL. Look what Ike did last year when it was his third year. So maybe Ricardo turns the corner like Ike did.

At safety we have a fourth year player in Troy Polamalu who already one of the best in the NFL. Ryan Clark I havn't seen much of him. But what I have read and seen. He seems to be a solid player who is smart. Clark should fit in well with the Steelers. Then we have third round choice in Anthony Smith in the mix. The Steelers secondary has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL one day.

tony hipchest
05-13-2006, 06:01 PM
What kind of money did Green Bay overpay for an overrated and probably past-his-prime-and-should-be-playing-safety Charles Woodson? 50 for 7 and 10 for the first year? good point. then watch to see if ty law is overpaid. i cant remember who, (maybe n. webster or a bills cb?) but some cb was just franchised i think and it was about 7 mil. that makes me think it would be too expensive for the steelers next year if it came down to that.

the sticking point here is ben and polamalu will easilly deserve top 5 money at their position and i think willie parker may prove to be a top 10 back. stack that on top of our offensive linemen (who historically some of the highest paid steelers) and then our linebackers, and the steelers are better off gambling on over paying ike on a long term deal than to risk losing him or being forced to franchise him. i agree that he will prove to be worth the investment. no one wants to see the steelers back to being one of the weakest secondaries in the league and right now, ike is the best we got.

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Still, I'd rather have the problem of overvalued players AFTER we win a Super Bowl, unlike many of these other teams problems (Colts in particular).

Haiku_Dirtt
05-14-2006, 12:54 PM

That's partly the problem though. I think they want superstar star money now. And is there a chance that we can succeed with a star rather than a superstar for less money?

And if Ike gets a fat contract then what happens when the superstar we already have at safety is due for his new contract?