PDA

View Full Version : Bettis absence noticeable

clevestinks
05-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Steelers Notebook: Bettis' absence is noticeable
Sunday, May 14, 2006

Life without the Bus seemed more sedate for the Steelers yesterday.

"As soon as I came into the locker room, nobody was laughing," said halfback Willie Parker. "Usually, he has Joey [Porter] take his shoes and hide them somewhere. Just little things like that make everybody smile. When we got here, it wasn't like that."

When the Steelers returned en masse to their locker room for the first time since they won the Super Bowl, Jerome Bettis was nowhere in sight, retired to the NBC-TV Sunday Night football studio.

"It's quieter, we don't have anyone yelling right now," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "But, no, it's one of those things, you lose a great friend out of this locker room, to me in particular. The guy's a leader ... You still miss him, obviously."

83-Steelers-43
05-14-2006, 08:05 AM
He will be missed, but this team will move on, another veteran will step up to the plate and become the vocal leader of this team.

PisnNapalm
05-14-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm gonna guess that Porter will step up as a vocal leader. I'd like to see Ben fill that role in another year or two. I think he needs more seasoning before becoming a "leader" so to speak.

clevestinks
05-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna guess that Porter will step up as a vocal leader. I'd like to see Ben fill that role in another year or two. I think he needs more seasoning before becoming a "leader" so to speak.
I think Porter is already the vocal leader. Everyone I think is looking for that father like leader that you can go to, Porter is and always will be the vocal one.