View Full Version : Soon to be stars: Emmanuel Sanders

mesaSteeler
03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Soon to be stars: Emmanuel Sanders
March, 25, 2011
Mar 25 12:00 PM ET
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

By Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.
Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson looks at AFC North players on the verge of a breakout in 2011.

Emmanuel Sanders could be poised to go right past Hines Ward on Pittsburgh’s depth chart next season. Both Sanders and Ward project well to the slot, and both should see close to equal playing time next year, but the arrow is clearly pointing up for Sanders’ career and pointing down on the reliable and tough Ward.

Sanders isn’t the biggest wideout around, but he is extremely quick and an excellent space player. He is very good after the catch and isn’t bashful about attacking the ball in the air or going over the middle into the teeth of the defense.

As Sanders received playing time, he consistently showed up on tape. Much like Mike Wallace a year ago, Sanders could be primed for a big jump in production during his sophomore season. Sanders also doesn’t give up on a play and continues to work to get open, which is a good fit with Ben Roethlisberger -- a master at extending the play and torturing a defense late in the down.

Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN.com.

PhantomJB93
03-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Sanders will post 1000+ yards and 6+ touchdowns in 2011 (or the next time there is NFL football), bank on it.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
I am more concerned with opposing receivers' 87% completion rate when being covered by McFadden and/or Gay.....

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-25-2011, 11:27 PM
But, yeah. Sanders looks to be the heir apparent to Hines Ward. Similar playing style, both 3rd round picks, similar size and slippery-ness....can't wait for.......the 2012 season to start.

SH-Rock
03-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Ward is the archetype Steelers receivers and I hope Sanders can follow in his footsteps.

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
in order for sanders to take the spot from hines and stay on the field for every snap , his blocking is going to have to be on the same level as that of wards. why would you take the best blocking WR in the game of the field for a running play ? you wouldn't. they may put ward in the slot for 3 wr sets , but i don't see him coming off the field for sanders, at least not next season.

GMU Steeler
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I have to say our scouting on WRs has gotten really good over the past few years. Guys like Emmanuel but also of course Mike Wallace as well as Antonio Brown. They all seem to have good attitudes too. I like the comparisons to Ward. It really was a shame that he got hurt early on in the Super Bowl. Who knows what the outcome could have been if he had not been hurt.

skinart82
03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I really think the Steelers will have one of the best wide receiver groups in the league for many years to come. With Wallace, Sanders and Brown and also Heath gettin more throws, man this could turn out to be a nightmare for opposing Ds!

Fire Arians
03-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Ward is the archetype Steelers receivers and I hope Sanders can follow in his footsteps.

he will be the next ward. maybe even better, he plays the same way but has the speed that ward has never had