PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall's remarks don't bother Tomlin

mesaSteeler
03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Mendenhall's remarks don't bother Tomlin
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_728667.html
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
In-depth Steelers

Scott Brown is the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Steelers beat writer and can be reached at 412-481-5432 or via e-mail.

NEW ORLEANS Steelers coach Mike Tomlin defended running back Rashard Mendenhall in more ways than one Monday.

Tomlin said he is not concerned that Mendenhall has fumbling issues after the latter lost two during the postseason, including a costly one in Super Bowl XLV. Tomlin also shrugged off Mendenhall supporting Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who recently compared the NFL to modern-day slavery.

Mendenhall wrote on his Twitter account last week that Peterson had made some good points.

"It didn't surprise me," Tomlin said of the Mendenhall tweets. "Rashard is a deep, philosophical guy. I think all he confirmed were parallels. That's opinion-oriented, and I don't care about those things."

Tomlin said he is not worried about Mendenhall's fumble at the beginning of the fourth quarter in the Super Bowl. He said Mendenhall only lost three fumbles last season four, actually despite almost 400 carries, with postseason games included.

Mendenhall rushed 324 times for 1,273 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010. That was the fifth-most carries by a Steelers running back during the regular season, and Tomlin didn't give any indication that he is considering lessening Mendenhall's workload.

"He's got some unique talents, and we're going to try to build our run game around those talents," Tomlin said of a player who doesn't turn 24 until June. "We're pleased with where he is, but we think he's still a guy in development."

Same old Rex

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan was his usual brash, entertaining self at the media breakfast with NFL coaches.

Take the question he was asked about cutting back on Super Bowl predictions. After both of his seasons as a head coach in New York, Ryan has guaranteed the Jets would win the Super Bowl the following year.

"When I make a prediction we're going to make the Super Bowl, it's based on facts," Ryan said. "We've had more playoff wins in the last two years than any team in this league, and the fact we won them on the road speaks volumes of our team.

"We accomplished a lot, but also accomplished nothing. Our goal is to win a Super Bowl, and I think we're right there. And basically, I'm letting every player in the league know that, if you want to win a Super Bowl, you should probably come to the Jets."

Sepulveda on the mend

While coaches are not allowed to contact players during the lockout, Tomlin said punter Daniel Sepulveda, who missed the final seven games of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, appears to be on track for a full recovery.

"Based on the information we have right now, (the Steelers are) real comfortable with his progress," Tomlin said.

Tomlin said Sepulveda, who has torn the ACL in his right knee two times since joining the Steelers, and Jeremy Kapinos, his replacement last December, are options at punter next season.

The Steelers, Tomlin said, have not ruled out drafting a punter next month.

Read more: Mendenhall's remarks don't bother Tomlin - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_728667.html##ixzz1Hj6iJw4v

ricardisimo
03-26-2011, 02:56 PM
"It didn't surprise me," Tomlin said of the Mendenhall tweets. "Rashard is a deep, philosophical guy. I think all he confirmed were parallels. That's opinion-oriented, and I don't care about those things."
Precisely as was discussed - and then completely ignored in favor of highly emotional knee-jerk reactions - in the other thread. Thank you Mr. Tomlin.

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Agreed. There was lots of knee-jerking on every Steelers message board I visit.

I have been pointing out that all Mendy did was express an opinion-- last I checked, even football players are entitled to their 1st Ammendment rights.

At least he didn't shoot two people through the cheek over a dance-party dispute, or get caught running a cross-state illegal dog-fighting/gambling cartel, or get drunk and run somebody over in the street, or get caught with an 16 year old prostitute in a seedy NYC motel, or refuse to shut off his cell phone on a plane, or fail a drug test, or get in trouble for throwing a glass at some ho in da club because she stole his seat.....

harts
04-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Precisely as was discussed - and then completely ignored in favor of highly emotional knee-jerk reactions - in the other thread. Thank you Mr. Tomlin.
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03: