PDA

View Full Version : This Steelers Fan Will Have An Eye On Rivers

Black@Gold Forever32
05-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Rewind back to before the draft in 2004. All the talk that the Steelers would take Philip Rivers at the 11th spot in the draft. I didn't want nothing to do with Rivers at 11. I was on the Big Ben bandwagon and I was praying he fell to us and I'm so glad he did. But as a NFL fan also. With all that talk of Rivers maybe coming to the Steelers before that draft I can't help but having some interest to see how Rivers does with the Chargers. Its going to be interesting to see if Rivers can pickup the slack since Brees is a Saint now. The Bolts are close to being a Super Bowl contendar so the pressure is on Rivers to do well.

I think it will be an up and down season for Phil since he will be starter and there is some adjusting to the NFL as a starter. But Phil is in a situation were he doesn't have to carry the team since the Chargers do have talent on both sides of the ball. I think Rivers will be a good NFL QB. But like I said before I didn't want him at the 11th spot. thought he should have been a late first round pick instead of being the 4th overall pick.

Finally all the top three QB's will be starting from the 2004 draft. Ben, Eli and Philip will all be linked since they were in the same draft class.

boLT fan
05-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't think there is much that can be said, good or bad, about Philip that hasn't been said 10,000 time on every NFL Forum known to man. But, at the expense of sounding like Tha Rock, I think the NFL should be ready for Philip to be a real threat to them. And this could be birth of the next triplets; LT, Gates, and Rivers.

SteelShooter
05-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Well....................not to sound rude boLT fan, but I'm not thoroughly convinced on P. Rivers yet. Of course, no one should be at this point. Admittedly, I was worried as hell in '04 when word came down that Ben would start in week 3....see where that got us! :o)

All I'm saying is that it "typically" takes a season or three for a QB to be a real contender. I actually live in San Diego (Imperial Beach), so I am more familiar with the Chargers than the typical Steelers fan. I really do hope he works out well for you guys. He is surrounded by a plethora of talent (LT, Gates, etc...). That definitely helps; equates to a faster maturation process. See what it did for Big Ben two seasons ago!

But then again....I know a lot of Teams let out a sigh of relief to hear that Drew left. They are counting on taking advantage of Rivers' inexperience. Once again, do not take that as an insult. We Steelers fans had to deal with that mindset over all of 2004....and again in 2005 with everyone hollering "well, the sophomore slump will kick in and the world will see that Ben's '04 season was merely a fluke" comments.

I was at Qualcom Stadium at field level last October when Pittsburgh came to town...what an exciting game! And I will be right there again on October 8th when they come back for another game! It will still be exciting, but to be honest...........I am STILL happy for the Steelers that Drew is gone. The experience level he brought was valuable. Other Teams tried to take advantage of Ben's inexperience....I think your O-Line and ball-handling Corps will help Rivers substantially, as ours did with Ben.

Looking forward to another great game Bro! :peace:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-14-2006, 04:53 PM
I watched the draft from Iraq, lost an entire night of sleep just to watch Big Ben get drafted.........I was very happy, and got into many arguments that Big ben would be better than either E. Manning or Rivers.......So far Im right..........And i dont think rivers is going to have the impact on the Chargers like Big Ben did in the BURGH.....

GO STEELERS

boLT fan
05-14-2006, 04:53 PM
I know he's not going to come in and put up Peyton Manning numbers, but the good thing is he doesn't have to. The Chargers have both of a QB's best friends; great RB, good D. And I should think that teams should at least be slightly worried about PR. Sure, Brees was good but he didn't really strike fear into defenses with his lofty throws. I think once Philip gets going in 2-3 years he will like Brees in terms of smarts, but better in terms of his arm.

As far as our O-line. That'll probably hurt more than help Philip. :dang:

clevestinks
05-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think there is much that can be said, good or bad, about Philip that hasn't been said 10,000 time on every NFL Forum known to man. But, at the expense of sounding like Tha Rock, I think the NFL should be ready for Philip to be a real threat to them. And this could be birth of the next triplets; LT, Gates, and Rivers.
Way to early to tell, we already know that Ben and Eli are for real, but Leaf still has to prove himself. Oooops did I say Leaf? Sorry! Anyway he looks to be the real deal, but only time will tell, it is premature to call Gates, LT and Leaf the triplets. OOOpps did I say Leaf. Sorry. Besides we will hav ethe Quads, Ben, Hines, Fast Willie, and Holmes! I hope Leaf does pan out though. Oooops did I say Leaf again. sorry, but it does prove that there are no gaurantees.

boLT fan
05-14-2006, 06:39 PM
You're pretty much taking what I said, and making it into a guarentee. I said this could be the next tripplets. There's already 2 of the 3 and it is possible. I never said Rivers will for sure be the greatest thing in the world, I just have confidence in him as most Charger fans have. But I do love the negativity towards PR, just more to rub in peopel's faces if he does great. :boxing: :busted:

I don't really expect many Steeler fans to wish Rivers to do well.

BB2W
05-14-2006, 07:01 PM
I will be following Rivers too... I wanted the Steelers to get either him or Ben in the draft. Since I live in Ohio and had seen more of Ben I was leaning towards him, but would have taken Rivers over Eli.

It looks like it may work out nicely for all three franchises. :cool:

SteelShooter
05-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Way to early to tell, we already know that Ben and Eli are for real, but Leaf still has to prove himself. Oooops did I say Leaf? Sorry! Anyway he looks to be the real deal, but only time will tell, it is premature to call Gates, LT and Leaf the triplets. OOOpps did I say Leaf. Sorry. Besides we will hav ethe Quads, Ben, Hines, Fast Willie, and Holmes! I hope Leaf does pan out though. Oooops did I say Leaf again. sorry, but it does prove that there are no gaurantees.

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: LEAF? ! ? ! ? ! ? :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Oh Mannnnnnnnnnn..........Tooooo Funny! Props to you Bro!

Black@Gold Forever32
05-14-2006, 08:26 PM

I know there isn't much left to say about Rivers. I'm just interested to see how he does as a fan of the NFL. Yea I'm a diehard Steelers but I like watching other players and other teams as well. Chargers are not far from being a serious Super Bowl contendar. It all depends on how Rivers plays. But the Bolts had to make the move and let Brees go. You spend that kind of money and make a trade like that to let the guy sit or get rid of him. Yea Drew Brees is a really good NFL QB. But I think Rivers has more upside. Anyways the AFC is stacked as usual. Its going to be very interesting.

SteelShooter
05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
You're pretty much taking what I said, and making it into a guarentee. I said this could be the next tripplets. There's already 2 of the 3 and it is possible. I never said Rivers will for sure be the greatest thing in the world, I just have confidence in him as most Charger fans have. But I do love the negativity towards PR, just more to rub in peopel's faces if he does great. :boxing: :busted:

I don't really expect many Steeler fans to wish Rivers to do well.

Of course we wish him well Bro! I would much rather watch MY Steelers beat a good Chargers Team come Oct 8th than to sit bored as the QB struggles, fumbles, etc... I love football...but blowouts are boring (sometimes). I would rather have a great contest like last year when it came down to the final minute.

Suitanim
05-15-2006, 08:31 AM
The Steelers didn’t draft Phil Rivers
They did not like the way he played
Money wasted would be Rivers money paid

Do they regret Rivers getaway?
Do they wish QB he’d play?
They do not regret his getaway
They do not like his QB play

Do they like him quarterbacking here or there?
They do not like him quarterbacking here or there
They do not like him quarterbacking anywhere

Can he play QB very well?
Can he play QB in the NFL?

He cannot play QB very well
He cannot play quarterback in the NFL
The Steelers don’t like his quarterbacking here or there
The Steelers don’t like his quarterbacking anywhere
Phillip Rivers they don’t want or need
Ben Roethlisberger already has a Super Bowl victory

HburgXL06
05-15-2006, 12:14 PM
The Steelers didn?t draft Phil Rivers

Do they wish QB he?d play?

The Steelers don?t like his quarterbacking here or there
The Steelers don?t like his quarterbacking anywhere
Phillip Rivers they don?t want or need

Ladies and gentleman, may I present to you....

Dr. Suit (Seuss)

BuFu

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2006, 04:31 PM
The Steelers didn?t draft Phil Rivers

Do they wish QB he?d play?

The Steelers don?t like his quarterbacking here or there
The Steelers don?t like his quarterbacking anywhere
Phillip Rivers they don?t want or need

Well that was cute and all. But I stated I didn't want Rivers at the 11th pick in the 2004 draft. I was a BigBen fan and prayed he fell to the Steelers and so glad he did. Just saying I will have a interest in Rivers and how he does with the Chargers since there was so much talk of him maybe being drafted by the Steelers before the 2004 draft. Ben, Eli and Phil will always be linked since they were in the same draft class.

Suitanim
05-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Well that was cute and all.

What, no sense of humor? Did I desecrate your thread with a little humor?

I hated Rivers at NCST, hated him before the draft, during the draft, after the draft, and still hate him now. I think he's Bernie Kosar-Lite and I've been very vocal about it, and not just at this board, so much so that Chargers fans have accused me of dwelling on it. But, then again, you've only been on this board for a few weeks, so how could you know that, right?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2006, 06:22 PM
What, no sense of humor? Did I desecrate your thread with a little humor?

I hated Rivers at NCST, hated him before the draft, during the draft, after the draft, and still hate him now. I think he's Bernie Kosar-Lite and I've been very vocal about it, and not just at this board, so much so that Chargers fans have accused me of dwelling on it. But, then again, you've only been on this board for a few weeks, so how could you know that, right?

Yes I joined this forum in April of this year. I was just letting you know that I'm glad that Rivers wasn't a Steeler. I didn't want nothing to do with Rivers at the 11th pick. I was praying for Big Ben before that draft and I'm so glad he fell to us. I just will have a interest in Rivers and how well he does since there was so much talk about Rivers being a Steeler before that draft. Plus the top three QB's from that draft will always be linked. I wasn't a big fan of Rivers at NC State either. I don't have the hatred for Rivers like you do but I wasn't a fan of his at all.

I'm a big fan of the Mac conference. I watched and were fans of Pennington, Leftwich and Big Ben during their college days. I told my Dad before the 2004 draft if indeed Ben falls to the Steelers at 11 and the Steelers do draft him. That Ben will lead us to a Super Bowl title. Moments after we beat the Seahawks he called me and said you were right. I replied I know I just thought it wouldn't have been this soon.

Suitanim
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM
My old board had about 40-50 guys at the draft day festivities at Heinz when we made "The pick". All but maybe one guy let out a tremendous cheer, so loud that we had people coming up to us the rest of the day asking "Ben Roethlisberger? Why?"

I was very vocally in support of Ben at #1 at that old board, and not because I liked him...he beat the shit out of my alma mater.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Yea Ben beat the shit out of alot of Mac teams. I have a good friend that went to Ball State. So he told me about Ben lighting up Ball State. He saw it live. But of all the games I watched of Ben in college. The game I was most impressed by Ben was when he faced Iowa in 2003 and Iowa kicked the living crap out of Miami of Ohio. Ben had a terrible game. He threw 4 picks in that game.

But the reason I was impressed was that even with his team getting its butt kicked. Ben never looked rattled or gave up. After every hit he took and after every pick he threw. He just shook it off and kept firing.

Remember when Kordell would throw a pick? You could tell his confidence sunk and he couldn't shake it off. Ben in that Iowa game proved to me that he what it took to play QB in the NFL by probally having one his worst days in college he never gave up and looked rattled. A QB can't let bad games or plays bother him. Ben has shown that early in his career.

Suitanim
05-15-2006, 07:01 PM
I watched that game as well...it actually isn't as bad as you make it sound, considering that Iowa had one of the best D's in the country that year. Ben tossed 4 picks, yeah, but him and Nance were all Miami had...he still went 27-42 for 250 in that game.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2006, 07:08 PM
I watched that game as well...it actually isn't as bad as you make it sound, considering that Iowa had one of the best D's in the country that year. Ben tossed 4 picks, yeah, but him and Nance were all Miami had...he still went 27-42 for 250 in that game.

Trust me I know Miami was way over matched talent wise. Iowa's Dline totally overmatched Miami's Oline. But still it wasn't a game that Ben was used to having in college. Thats all I meant. It wasn't a typical Roethlisberger game. Thats why it impressed me so much more then the games he totally ripped teams apart. You not always going to have things go your way. Its how you respond when things don't go your way that makes you special in my eyes. Ben kept firing and didn't get rattled in that game despite his team being overmatched. I guess you missed my point?

Tha rock
05-16-2006, 12:02 AM

why r u using my name again sparkler?

Suitanim
05-16-2006, 07:57 AM
"Tha Rock" is like getting "Munsoned" from the movie Kingpin.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-16-2006, 12:35 PM
I am interested in what Rivers does.He was taken before Ben and traded for the #1 pick in the draft,so I am sure the Chargers are looking for him to be a star if not this year,then next year,or the year after.

Will Rivers be the Tim Couch (with Ben and Eli being the McNabb and Cullpepper) of that draft class?We'll have to wait and see.