PDA

View Full Version : List a concern(s)

83-Steelers-43
05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
As the thread title states, if you have any concerns with this team going into this upcoming season I'm curious to hear what they are.

WWIIOwheelz
05-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Chemistry

Bettis being gone concerns me, because I think everyone held themselves in check a little tighter in his presence. I don't want to hear about personal issues, I want them to stay together as a team in their heads first & foremost. This thing about Hines, there being a legitimate WR war in training camp, new chemistry in the secondary, the old rumors about players not liking Big Ben, him establishing himself as the leader..... I just hope everyone emerges on the same page.

83-Steelers-43
05-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Very good point.

I have two...

First, the frame of mind. Last year they had "One for the thumb" and "Bring Jerome Home" to ride on. What now?

Second, the HB position. Duce Staley staying healthy concerns me. If Duce goes down, that could put our RB situation in a bad position.

clevestinks
05-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Depth at rb, and health at RB.

And the safety position, from what I`ve read we sort of upgraded, but only time will tell.

shimmysteelerfan
05-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Very good point.

I have two...

First, the frame of mind. Last year they had "One for the thumb" and "Bring Jerome Home" to ride on. What now?

Second, the HB position. Duce Staley staying healthy concerns me. If Duce goes down, that could put our RB situation in a bad position.

no concerns here.....what we have to ride on is history......the first to #6 baby!!!!:sign01:

83-Steelers-43
05-15-2006, 11:23 AM
After we win Super Bowl XLI, the idiots in the national media will be miffed that Golden Boy Peyton still didn't get a ring, so they'll denigrade our championship and come up with lame, phony reasons it wasn't legitimate.

lol, so I take it you don't have any concerns?

HburgXL06
05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
1) Duce Staley

2) The media givin us no credit as usual

3) Other franchises consistently attemptin to block us fans from away games.

BuFu

shimmysteelerfan
05-15-2006, 11:41 AM
After we win Super Bowl XLI, the idiots in the national media will be miffed that Golden Boy Peyton still didn't get a ring, so they'll denigrade our championship and come up with lame, phony reasons it wasn't legitimate.

exactly what i was thinking, im so sick of hearing that manning is soooo good, yeah he is good but until he can overcome the pressure the postseason brings he isnt gonna have a ring any time soon, just like when he could not beat florida in college.

HburgXL06
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
exactly what i was thinking, im so sick of hearing that manning is soooo good, yeah he is good but until he can overcome the pressure the postseason brings he isnt gonna have a ring any time soon, just like when he could not beat florida in college.

Agreed. My roommate was givin me the biggest argument the other day about how Manning is the best QB in the league. Then I said if that is so then why can't he win playoff games. He chokes. Then he said he is the best regular season QB. I still think that Manning is made to look good because of what James did and his receiver core. As soon as we broke through his O-line one play after another he crumbled like the walls of Jericho.

BuFu

coachspeak33
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
My concerns with this team are few.... the most prominent for myself are the very large decisions that the front office are going to be faced with over the next 12 months.
-Ike Taylor, Joey Porter, Troy Polamalu, Willie Parker, Aaron Smith are all approaching contract situations
-Who they choose to sign....Who they choose to let walk....How much they pay the guys that they keep....etc.

When I look at our roster, its talent level, its depth, the amount of talented players under the age of 28/29 we have, a hall of fame coach/staff, our 23 yr old QB with a 27-4 record to go along with a ring.......This could be a dynasty, IF the Cowher, Colbert, Ronney and company push the right buttons.

It will be interesting if they attempt to address any of these contractual situations before the season. Ike Taylor's contract is one I would love to see handled sooner rather than later...IMO Troy P must be treated as a guy that the franchise is commited to keeping a Steeler for at least 5-6 more yrs....I have read on a few websites and other publications (obviously these are just opinions of god knows who) that the Steelers might have a big name cap casualty during training camp.... I sincerely doubt that but stranger things have happened...

Livinginthe past
05-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Welcome to the world of the Patriot fan for the last 3-4 years - every year is going to be Peytons year - and if its not then something must be done to make it happen the year after.

Im surprised we havent had any more rule 'enforcements' so far this offseason - maybe a remote controlled goal post...then again with Vinatieri playing there they should be good in the clutch.

Peyton needs a coach who will stop him trying to run the whole show - then he may well get his ring.

Then again, some people are content to rate their QBs on stats - Ive even seen some experts put him in their All-Pro team - they never learn.

NM

Haiku_Dirtt
05-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I not worried about chemistry. The reality is that Jerome took up a roster spot and rushed for less than 300 yards. There had to be a 'changing of the guard' and that time is now. I think there is plenty of leadership in this organization.

I'm concerned that Simmons will struggle and Max will underachieve.

But by far it has to be Duce.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-15-2006, 01:31 PM

And Golden Boy won't have the Edge...or the edge. :sofunny: :sofunny:

Suitanim
05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
My only real concern is depth at OL, and that was my biggest concern last year, as well. When Smith was injured, we went into a bit of a tailspin. If we can keep the front 5 healthy, It will answer all the other questions this offense will have.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
My concerns:

1-Our RB Situation.If Duce stays healthy we definatly have our short-yardage/goal line RB.If he doesn't,then who takes care of those?Can Parker handle the full load?He'll need to show more than just speed this season,he's gonna need to show that he can run with some power.What role will Haynes play?He runs tough,maybe he can take the short yardage/goal line if Duce is hurt.And what about Cedric Humes?What role will he play?He can definatly make a hole,but he isn't very fast.

2-OL health. If we can keep the Front 5 healthy,we'll be just fine.If not,can Essex step up and play well?What about Kemoeatu?Barret Brooks?Will Jeff Hartings knees last the season?Is this his last season?

3-team leadership. Jerome Bettis is gone.Nobody knows what to make of Ward's relationship with Cowher or Porter's relationship with Cowher.Old rumors of teammates not liking Ben are resurfacing.Can Ben step up and take a bigger role in the leadership department?

4-contract situations. It's getting to be time to look into giving Troy Polamalu a contract extension,and expect Troy to get Chris Hope money.We also have to decide what to do with Ike Taylor,rent him for the year or sign him long term.Also,Porter's contract is gonna start to be a problem.We also have to sign our draft picks.

tony hipchest
05-15-2006, 02:11 PM
what concerns me is all the talk that chris gardocki has never had a punt blocked. i fear that one day somebody just may break through the line and end that streak.

other than that- no concerns. however i recognize the schedule will be a little more difficult this season (nfc south and afc west) plus 2 tougher games with baltimore if mcnair is their qb and i would hate to see us lose j. reed to injury or the combo of our top 2 qb's and top 2 rb's hurt. i think the team can maintain with verron and humes if ben is still the qb and they can maintain with batch if willie and duce are still healthy.

Midnightwriter07
05-15-2006, 06:44 PM
This wont be popular i know ... But my main concern is once again .. our corners.

We played well in the palyoffs, but we were getting to the QB's alot more at that time. When we were really weak is when we didnt get alot of a pass rush and teams threw all over us. I know that is impossible to always be ableto stop a teams passing game, but we were really horrible on thrid downs and allowing teams to throw on us no matter how far they had to go. Nothing on the offensive side worries me... we have one of the better lines in football and i think any RB we have running could do fairly well. Our WR and QB is fine. Our D line and linebackers of course are some of the best in the league and not really worried there. Safety postion looks like we will be ok with what we have. But every time a team would go back to pass, i would be cursing and get thsoe butterflies in stomach because i think that is where we have question marks if anywhere on this team IMO and is the only place.

BigSteelThrill
05-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Willie Parker.

Not much else is concerning me right now.
I look for Duce and Haynes and possibly Humes to take much of the playing time by late in the season.

Steelhorse
05-15-2006, 09:02 PM
My biggest concern is that if given the choice, will we start wearing the black jerseys instead of the white when were on the road?

Other than that, I'm not worried at all

83-Steelers-43
05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
This wont be popular i know ... But my main concern is once again .. our corners.

Who cares if it's popular or not? It's your concern brother and it's noted and respected (at least by me). I enjoyed your opinion and insight. Very interesting.

clevestinks
05-16-2006, 07:58 AM
I guess everyone is on the same page, some much will be determined by Staleys health

83-Steelers-43
05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
My biggest concern is that if given the choice, will we start wearing the black jerseys instead of the white when were on the road?

Other than that, I'm not worried at all

lol, hey if it works? :hunch:

coachspeak33
05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I hear what your sayin midnight.... but CB is a position of strength right now.... I know its hard to imagine a Steelers fan saying "we're good at CB", but I really think McFadden displayed some attributes we havent seen from a rookie CB in a long time... he was rated the #1 CB in the country his senior year of high school and people just plain stayed away from him when he was at FSU.... it was a gift from above when he dropped all the way to the end of round 2 in 05

Ike is a top 13/14 CB in the league right now and he is a hitter on run D too....

Deshea brings experience and veteran leadership.... he will play the nickel on 3rd and long and take the other teams slot receiver out of the play.... he also is approaching 20/20 (career int's and sacks) so like Taylor he brings an added dimension to the position...

Coclough would be a starter on around half of the teams in the AFC and he provides us with quality depth, special teams help, and will mainly contribute on dime packages barring injury

In conclusion, as a lifelong Steeler fan, I definitely understand your uneasyness with the CB position.... but your concern may be one of habit rather than assessing a lack of talent or ability

Think about it... we could be resting our back to back Super Bowl hopes on the cover skills of Dewayne Washington, DJ Johnson, Delton Hall, Chad Scott ..... Oh man I better stop or I am gonna get sick!!!