04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Steelers basketball squad headed to California
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/sports/s_731127.html#
By Brian Herman
VALLEY INDEPENDENT
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Cleaning out the notebook:

There will be at least one more basketball game at Cal U's Hamer Hall this month. The Pittsburgh Steelers' cage team will be on campus for a charity contest 8 p.m. April 20 against the Washington County Special Olympics Wolverines All-Stars, made up of some of the area's better scholastic and collegiate cagers.

Cal U will be represented by PSAC West Player of the Year Kayla Smith, Rashawd Hatten and Anthony Vaughn, with California Area's John Tyler and Dani Zajicek and Charleroi Area's Chaniece Tarpley and Morgan Iacovino.

Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, James Harrison, Chris Hoke, Brett Keisel, Bryant McFadden, Anthony Madison, Rashard Mendenhall, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Tony Hills, Willie Colon, Wes Lyons, Max Starks, Ryan Mundy, Dennis Dixon, William Gay, Trai Essex, Matt Spaeth, Mike Wallace, Antwan Randle-El, Nick Eason, Keenan Lewis and Ra'Shan Harris are on the Steelers' basketball roster.

However, it's anyone's guess who will show up from the Steelers that night. Tickets will cost $7 and players will sign autographs at halftime.

Former California University football standout Willie Walker honored the other night at the 23rd annual Black History Achievement Awards Banquet in Pittsburgh. A four-year starter and the PSAC West Defensive Player of the Year as a senior in 2009, Walker set an all-time school record with 31 1/2 tackles for losses.

"Beside being a great football player he was a great spiritual leader," said California coach John Luckhardt, who attended the affair with assistants Mike Conway and Mike Jacobs and associate vice president for athletic development Frank Bauer.

Earlier this year, Walker was featured in a Sports Illustrated article titled "The Heart of Football Beat in Aliquippa."

Walker is now involved in mixed martial arts and owns a 2-0 pro record.

Linda Kalafatis, the former Cal U softball coach, reached another milestone recently at Ohio State. Kalafatis chalked up her 500th victory last month with the Buckeyes in a 4-1 win over Harvard in San Diego, Calif.

In her 15th year in Columbus, Kalafatis owns an overall 503-319 record, including 10-21 this season. She added a win Wednesday when the Buckeyes split a doubleheader with Pitt, giving her an 8-1 career record against the Panthers.

Counting her stops at California and Akron, Kalafatis is 776-434-2 overall. In five years (1989-93) at her alma mater, California, Kalafatis went 175-53-1 with five PSAC titles.

Elizabeth Forward could be replacing one of the WPIAL's winningest girls' basketball coaches, John Hearn, with another big winner.

Hearn had a a 418-190 record with the Lady Warriors.

The word I get is that one of the applicants for the Elizabeth post is Phil Shar, who was let go at West Mifflin with 398 wins in 20 seasons.

And thanks to Bill Patterson, of Monongahela, who says we spend thousands of dollars on time-saving devices; then work overtime to pay for them!

Brian Herman can be reached at bherman@tribweb.com or 724-684-2667.

steve314
04-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Steelers basketball squad headed to California
By Brian Herman
VALLEY INDEPENDENT
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Cleaning out the notebook:

There will be at least one more basketball game at Cal U's Hamer Hall this month. The Pittsburgh Steelers' cage team will be on campus for a charity contest 8 p.m. April 20 against the Washington County Special Olympics Wolverines All-Stars, made up of some of the area's better scholastic and collegiate cagers.

Cal U will be represented by PSAC West Player of the Year Kayla Smith, Rashawd Hatten and Anthony Vaughn, with California Area's John Tyler and Dani Zajicek and Charleroi Area's Chaniece Tarpley and Morgan Iacovino.

Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, James Harrison, Chris Hoke, Brett Keisel, Bryant McFadden, Anthony Madison, Rashard Mendenhall, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Tony Hills, Willie Colon, Wes Lyons, Max Starks, Ryan Mundy, Dennis Dixon, William Gay, Trai Essex, Matt Spaeth, Mike Wallace, Antwan Randle-El, Nick Eason, Keenan Lewis and Ra'Shan Harris are on the Steelers' basketball roster.

However, it's anyone's guess who will show up from the Steelers that night. Tickets will cost $7 and players will sign autographs at halftime.

Let's hope for no injured ACLs (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/?p=120622).

SoCalFan
04-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Too bad thats a 6 hour drive for me!Troy and Hines were at UCLA,I tried but it was a privat event.Dancing with the stars is filmed 30 minutes from me,maybe I should go hang out there and try for an autograph!

steve314
04-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Too bad thats a 6 hour drive for me!Troy and Hines were at UCLA,I tried but it was a privat event.Dancing with the stars is filmed 30 minutes from me,maybe I should go hang out there and try for an autograph!

Maybe more than 6 hours. I think this is California, PA.