PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor knows where he'll be in 2007.....

DIESELMAN
05-15-2006, 11:18 PM
If the Steelers hope to re-sign Ike Taylor, they have less than four months to get it done. But Taylor already knows how the story will turn out.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/28/288720.jpg

PITTSBURGH ? Ike Taylor?s just like any other player in the middle of contract negotiations: He?ll play and his agent will negotiate.

?I?m just glad to be back,? said Taylor. ?I want to stay in Pittsburgh. As a matter of fact, I WILL stay in Pittsburgh.?

So the talks aren?t going too badly?

?I don?t even know how they?re going to be honest with you,? he said. ?I just know I?m going to be in Pittsburgh.?

Taylor is one of the NFL?s emerging young cornerbacks. At 6-foot-1 and a thick 191 pounds, he has the size and loves to show it off in run support. And at 4.3 in the 40, Taylor has the speed. His first year as a starter was a smashing success, too. On the Pittsburgh Steelers? ride to the title, Taylor blanketed Chad Johnson in his more impressive moments. He also had the majority of man responsibilities against Marvin Harrison and Rod Smith in the AFC playoffs.

After the Super Bowl, Taylor became a restricted free agent and the Steelers effectively took him off the market with the middle tender. Now they?re hoping to keep him from unrestricted free agency next spring by extending his contract before opening day. After that, it could be too late.

?I had a short off-season,? Taylor said, ?but I worked my tail off and I?m right back in the mix.?

Taylor started working out a week after the Super Bowl. He?s now trying to improve his ball skills. Before and after every spring practice, a coach or teammate will throw passes that Taylor catches one-handed.

?I have to because of all the opportunities that I didn?t capitalize on last year,? he said.

Taylor believes he should?ve had ?about 10? interceptions last season, but he only had one because of all the drops. It?s difficult to believe as Taylor?s soft hands reel in pass after pass on the sidelines.

?It was just a part of me that wasn?t concentrating last year,? Taylor said.

He?s having a strong minicamp. Only one receiver beat Taylor deep in five practices, but Taylor won?t even admit to the one.

?Come on man. Ain?t nobody getting past me,? Taylor said. ?I pride myself on one thing and it?s not getting beat deep, so ain?t nobody getting past me.?

So Santonio Holmes wasn?t behind him by five yards on Saturday?

?The ball wasn?t even catchable,? Taylor said. ?It was out of bounds.?

On the island, a bad memory is encouraged, but that doesn?t mean Taylor is making promises to suit the moment. He meant what he said about staying in Pittsburgh. Taylor was reminded of the promise after practice as he walked down the hall toward the front office on Monday.

?I?m on my way now to tell Mr. Rooney that I said it,? Taylor said. ?I meant it.?

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: May 15, 2006

MattsMe
05-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Great news, thanks for posting.

tony hipchest
05-15-2006, 11:33 PM
and now we get to "the rest of the story". i dont think ike is washed up or a fraud. he should be kept for the long haul. but this is where it gets tricky. he will cost some jack and alot of players on the steelers deserve some jack. most notably:

troy- not many highlight reels of him in the sb. his knee injury couldve hampered him (it didnt)
ike- the 1 year starter who gave up alot of catches to jackson in the sb.
willie- the one who barely did squat other than their 75 yd runs in any given game
porter- the one who was statistically shut out in the sb
ben- posted the lowest passer rating in a sb win.

hmmm. these guys suck. maybe we should get rid of them *sarcasm*. keep in mind it was hope and el who had the "sack" and "the pass" in the sb. they are gone.

Prosdo
05-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I like what Ike had to say. I definitely want to see him in a Steelers uniform for quite a while.

Volpe1564
05-16-2006, 01:30 PM
thats one player that has the class to be a steeler........:smile:

rowedf
05-16-2006, 02:47 PM
I really like the trend in that we are seeing good character traits from IKE. The knock on him was that he wasn't really intelligent and that he had a little street swager to him, but wow, everything in the offseason has been excellent in terms of having a good character.

clevestinks
05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
For him to say the " He will stay in Pittsburgh" is awesome, and maybe he knows that the Steelers have already committeed to him. Great short story

Midnightwriter07
05-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I dont think anyone ever wanteed Ike to go nor do the Steelers... they just dont want to overpay him. Is cool Ike wants to stay a Steeler, hopefully his agent will understand that and understand we are cheap too lol lol

PisnNapalm
05-16-2006, 06:04 PM
I like Ike! I hope we get his deal done and both sides are happy with it.

True story... During the super bowl I looked over at my friend and told him flat out Ike was due for an interception. 2 plays later he got one. :o)

Sharkissle29
05-17-2006, 05:37 PM
ikes one of my favorite player. i for some reason see a future star out of him. like he said, he could have had 10 interceptions, this year...you will see his numbers go up, i guarantee that.

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I dont think anyone ever wanteed Ike to go nor do the Steelers... they just dont want to overpay him. Is cool Ike wants to stay a Steeler, hopefully his agent will understand that and understand we are cheap too lol lol

That's where I am on this topic. Pay him well, but if he wants to break the bank, say bye-bye. Let him know if he plays well this season he will have a nice pay-day in his future from this organization.

Ike did state he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, but I'm going to wait until this deal pans out before I take those warm and fuzzy comments to heart. Money is money. One issue I disagree with you on MNW, is that it's not up to Ike's agent to understand, it's up to Ike when all is said and done. Hopefully he makes the smart decision and understands that one year doesn't mean breaking the bank.