PDA

View Full Version : Reggie

Ohio Steeler
05-16-2006, 05:14 AM
ok how do you guys feel about Reggie trying to get the NFL to let him wear the number he has had since he started playing pop-warner football #5. I myself am ok with it after all it is a low number and I dont get the no single numbers rule for RB's in the NFL.. I could see if it was in the 50' or 60's or higher but 5 come on NFL let it go...

ARKIESTEEL
05-16-2006, 10:15 AM
If its ok for him to change # then ever one should be able to if they want.

BB2W
05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
I like the designated numbers for each position and I don't think he should be allowed to be an exception to the rule. There were a lot of players that came before him that would have liked to keep their number...

I think the NFL numbers look a lot more uniform and organized than the NCAA. I like the look of the players at the skilled positions that wear the single digit numbers, but sometimes it just seems unorganized. :twocents:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I think if they let him do it,then they should just get rid of the whole designated number system.He's no more special than anyone else in the league,hell he hasn't even proved he can do anything at this level yet.

If he wants the number 5 on his jersey so bad,then he should just take 25.

tony hipchest
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
sure the nfl doesnt want to set a prescedent, but the nfl owes the city of new orleans one, for they way they jobbed them after the hurricaine. bush has said he would donate 25% of all jersey sales to the relief effort. this would be about $250,000- half a mil. a 1 time exemption is in order.

boLT fan
05-16-2006, 06:15 PM
This is the National Football League, not the Reggie Football League. Change your number, don't start out your career by being a prick.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-16-2006, 07:57 PM
sure the nfl doesnt want to set a prescedent, but the nfl owes the city of new orleans one, for they way they jobbed them after the hurricaine. bush has said he would donate 25% of all jersey sales to the relief effort. this would be about $250,000- half a mil. a 1 time exemption is in order.

How does the NFL owe New Orleans anything?They didn't get jobbed at all,there was no way they could play games in the Big Easy.

The first "home" game being against the Giants in Giants stadium wasn't the best idea,but what ya gonna do on such short notice?Last season the Saints ended up being a foster child shuffled from "home" to "home".It's not the NFL's fault Katrina ravaged New Orleans and made the Superdome unfit for football or even to be a place of shelter for the people of New Orleans.

And there is nothing the NFL can really do if Tom Benson wants to look into moving the Saints to San Antonio,LA,or to Bangc*ck if he really wanted to.If the owners majority vote to let him,he can.It's his team,it's his to do with what he wants.

Players know when they enter college that the NFL only allows speceific positions to wear specefic numbers.Most of them know this in middle and high school.This could all be avoided by just choosing a traditional number to begin with.

tony hipchest
05-16-2006, 08:13 PM
How does the NFL owe New Orleans anything?They didn't get jobbed at all,there was no way they could play games in the Big Easy.

The first "home" game being against the Giants in Giants stadium wasn't the best idea,but what ya gonna do on such short notice?Last season the Saints ended up being a foster child shuffled from "home" to "home".It's not the NFL's fault Katrina ravaged New Orleans and made the Superdome unfit for football or even to be a place of shelter for the people of New Orleans.

. its not the nfl's fault 9/11 happened. yet they were able to cancel a whole weekends worth of games. the nfl couldve easilly rescheduled the saints giants game to ba a thanksgiving day game played in baton rouge or something. regardless all the players and the organization felt jobbed. the nfl could bend the rules on a freaking number this one time if the procedes are gonna go to the city of n.o. especially if they can let keyshawn choose what number he will wear and t.o. choose what team he will play for.

and its not the fact that the saints only had 7 home games, its the fact that the nfl tried to shove it down their throat that a game in giants stadium was to be a home game. i mean call it what it is and dont insult the players intelligence. if the nfl had no better solution they shouldve sacked up and told it how it was. the saints would have 7 "home" games and 9 away games.

DIESELMAN
05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
The NFL is a new chapter in his life so he should pick a number for a RB. Hes a good athlete but hes not special nor is anyone for that matter to be able to pick his own number. If hes going to be great then people will notice his NFL number and go by that.

Ohio Steeler
05-16-2006, 09:07 PM
The NFL is a new chapter in his life so he should pick a number for a RB. Hes a good athlete but hes not special nor is anyone for that matter to be able to pick his own number. If hes going to be great then people will notice his NFL number and go by that.

I agree with that however as a football player I understand why he wants the number he has had since day 1 of playing football

RoethlisBURGHer
05-17-2006, 08:00 PM
its not the nfl's fault 9/11 happened. yet they were able to cancel a whole weekends worth of games. the nfl couldve easilly rescheduled the saints giants game to ba a thanksgiving day game played in baton rouge or something. regardless all the players and the organization felt jobbed. the nfl could bend the rules on a freaking number this one time if the procedes are gonna go to the city of n.o. especially if they can let keyshawn choose what number he will wear and t.o. choose what team he will play for.

and its not the fact that the saints only had 7 home games, its the fact that the nfl tried to shove it down their throat that a game in giants stadium was to be a home game. i mean call it what it is and dont insult the players intelligence. if the nfl had no better solution they shouldve sacked up and told it how it was. the saints would have 7 "home" games and 9 away games.

Last I checked,everyone stopped playing sports after 9/11.Baseball took an entire week off.That week and weekend almost every high school and college canceled thier sporting events.

September 11th and Katrina are two totally different things.One was a terrorist act,one was an act of nature.One was a nation tragedy,the other was a tragedy but didn't affect the entire nation.

tony hipchest
05-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Last I checked,everyone stopped playing sports after 9/11.Baseball took an entire week off.That week and weekend almost every high school and college canceled thier sporting events.

September 11th and Katrina are two totally different things.One was a terrorist act,one was an act of nature.One was a nation tragedy,the other was a tragedy but didn't affect the entire nation.

well i guess i'll let what other sports do, define what is a tragedy to me then. personally i look at the death of thousands of fellow citizens all the same. but you are correct. the 9/11 attack was an act of war. much different than a natural disaster. if an earthquake were to drop 3-com park into the ocean and kill 3000 people i doubt anyone would be cancelling any sporting events, other than in san fransisco, of course. still dont change my view that the nfl should allow a 1 time exemption at a number change, not for reggie (i could really care less what he wants) but for the saints and the people of n.o. sometimes its more about the gesture and the message sent (and money raised), and not catering to the whims of a 21 year old.

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
score a point for reggie bush. despite not being allowed to wear #5 he will still keep to his pledge of donating 25% of all jersey sales to relief efforts.

he couldve been a baby and pouted but he just doesnt seem like one of those types of people. to me he seems like a ladainian or m. faulk type of character. almost impossible to root against (except when they play the steelers or try to keep us out of the playoffs)

clevestinks
05-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I`m alright with it I guess, rules are needed before someone just tries being a jek just to prove a point. I do like the single digits though, I just dont want the LB to be 30`s and such

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 07:54 PM
I`m alright with it I guess, rules are needed before someone just tries being a jek just to prove a point. I do like the single digits though, I just dont want the LB to be 30`s and such the nfl seems receptive to the idea of letting rb's have the same benefits given to the receivers in choosing low numbers. its just too late for a rule change (to make it fair for all rb's and not seem as favoritism to bush)

but look for a rule change after the 06 season. bush will probably be wearing #5 next season and all the fans will have to go out and buy new jerseys. who said the nfl isnt a marketing machine.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-23-2006, 07:55 PM
well i guess i'll let what other sports do, define what is a tragedy to me then. personally i look at the death of thousands of fellow citizens all the same. but you are correct. the 9/11 attack was an act of war. much different than a natural disaster. if an earthquake were to drop 3-com park into the ocean and kill 3000 people i doubt anyone would be cancelling any sporting events, other than in san fransisco, of course. still dont change my view that the nfl should allow a 1 time exemption at a number change, not for reggie (i could really care less what he wants) but for the saints and the people of n.o. sometimes its more about the gesture and the message sent (and money raised), and not catering to the whims of a 21 year old.

I said that Katrina was a tragedy,but it wasn't the type that shuts down the nation.A terrorist attack,death of the current president...thinks that affect the entire nation shut down everything.Hurricaines happen every year...you didn't see anyone ask for a special exemption after any hurricaine in Florida or and earthquake in California.

Just giving an inch would open up the flood gates (no pun intended) for people to request and recieve an exemption for a number change in the NFL.If the NFL would have given Reggie Bush the exemption then they should have just stopped the system of numbers by position.

Just because Bush said he would donate 25% of the proceeds of the sales to helping rebuild New Orleans doesn't make it right to give the exemption.It would set a standard where all a player has to do is say he'll donate money to some type of relief fund...and then the NFL would have to give him the number due to the Bush ruling.

Kudos to the NFL for standing thier ground.

tony hipchest
05-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I said that Katrina was a tragedy,but it wasn't the type that shuts down the nation.A terrorist attack,death of the current president...thinks that affect the entire nation shut down everything.Hurricaines happen every year...you didn't see anyone ask for a special exemption after any hurricaine in Florida or and earthquake in California.

Just giving an inch would open up the flood gates (no pun intended) for people to request and recieve an exemption for a number change in the NFL.If the NFL would have given Reggie Bush the exemption then they should have just stopped the system of numbers by position.

Just because Bush said he would donate 25% of the proceeds of the sales to helping rebuild New Orleans doesn't make it right to give the exemption.It would set a standard where all a player has to do is say he'll donate money to some type of relief fund...and then the NFL would have to give him the number due to the Bush ruling.

Kudos to the NFL for standing thier ground. and i said that you were correct that 9/11 was an act of war. much different than a natural disaster, but it doesnt look like the nfl is standing their ground. this issue will be revisited next offseason to give all running backs the opportunity to switch to single digit numbers. all's well that ends well.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Who cares? This is a big deal about nothing. I could care less if Reggie Bush wears number 5 or 555. But really its silly why RB's or WR's can't wear single digit numbers. Another example of the NFL trying to be the No Fun League. First the rules on the excessive celebrations and now this.

I say this if players want to act like a complete jackass while celebrating and Reggie Bush wants to wear number 5. Let them.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
05-23-2006, 09:51 PM
I think he should be able to wear it......

3 to be 4
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
this wouldnt be happening if Barbero was the Comissioner of the NFL.

tony hipchest
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
this wouldnt be happening if Barbero was the Comissioner of the NFL. notice how barbaro was allowed to wear a single digit cloth? its horsism i tell ya!

reggie will hve to come to grips with the fact that we live in a horcist society.

3 to be 4
05-24-2006, 12:06 AM
at least hes not a dirty Arab

tony hipchest
05-24-2006, 12:07 AM
reggie or barbaro?

3 to be 4
05-24-2006, 12:10 AM
both!
time to stir up some shit with my next thread!

83-Steelers-43
05-24-2006, 08:14 AM
That's a shame Reggie Bush is not permitted to sport #5. Who does the NFL think they are with all those rules and stuff? After all he's accomplished in the NFL you would think the league would make an exception for this for sure HOF'er. :rolleyes:

One word: Rookie