PDA

View Full Version : Over-emphasis on CBs stopping rush?

thumper
04-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I think many of the fans are deluded about the quality of
this team. It's obviously good, with a franchise QB (most important
single factor in terms of players), a solid defense and a sprinkling
of probowl-level players on the roster.

But guess what? If not for the Jets upsetting the Pats, we would not
have made the Super Bowl. As it has been heavily noted on all
Steelers boards, this defense is very beatable when facing a quality
QB. And this is nothing new: It's been the case for many years. Not
only does the D sellout to stop the rush, but they also sellout to
stop the rush in terms of personnel. What do we always hear about
the CBs that Pgh has drafted or is looking to draft? "This CB can
stop the rush and Dick L system values CBs who can stop the rush."

How many times have we heard that? Me? I am a little sick of hearing that.
No, I Don't want CBs who are afraid to tackle. But I am sick of hearing
that brought up as if that is a CB's priority job #1. Someone please tell
Dicky L. that first and foremost, we need CBs who can COVER THE
RECEIVERS. Had we had CBs who could cover better, we win the
Super Bowl! How much did it matter to Green Bay that our CBs could
tackle ball carriers? Not too frickin' much.

Odds are, we won't be able to rely on other teams to knock off the
elite QBs before we have to face them. Odds are, we will have to
beat a team with a franchise QB to even make it to the SB most
seasons. But when we face the Flaccos and Dirty Sanchezes of the
league, we can win those games. Beating Brady? Not gonna happen.
Not with our CBs who can "tackle ball carriers" as their priority skill.

I keep hearing about this CB Ras-I Dowling, out of U of Virginia, as the CB Pgh is interested in. And the first thing mentioned? Pgh like Cbs who can tackle and this guy can tackle. WTF? How about can he freakin' cover someone like glue? That should be the first thing considered, GARSH DAMMIT.

OK, Dicky L likes CBs who can tackle. Great. Just don't flippin' over-emphasize
that factor when choosing who we add to this roster. Seriously. Get over
yourselves. I love that our D can just smash a rushing attack, but please,
if we allow pass D to suffer in the meantime, it's gonna bite us in the tookus.
And yidda, yidda, yidda we don't want that. Oy vey.

Wise up, Pgh. We need some CBs who can cover and make
plays beyond tackling ball carriers.

harrison'samonster
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I completely agree about needing corners who can cover. When our passing defense is the weak link, and we hear all about the corner's 1st being able to stop the run, it makes me wonder.

I might disagree with you about the Jets saving us from the Patriots. Although we are very beatable when playing a top quarterback, maybe if we had played Brady and beaten him we would have had the right mindset going against another good qb in the superbowl. Then again we could argue about what could have happened forever.

55BaileyFan
04-23-2011, 11:17 PM
I never understood the idea of CB covering the run more than the pass. Our issues don't stem with the run. Hell you could put the three down lineman and two LB and no team would be able to run on us. Troy helps with run support and Clark is always a great option when it comes to making the tackle if the front line is defended.

Our corners have had huge issues with getting beat on the deep balls (BMac) and have also been horrible covering the end on short passes (William Gay) I really think a cover corner should be the top priority. I am a huge fan of Aaron Williams of Texas and his teamate Curtis Brown.

thumper
04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I never understood the idea of CB covering the run more than the pass. Our issues don't stem with the run. Hell you could put the three down lineman and two LB and no team would be able to run on us. Troy helps with run support and Clark is always a great option when it comes to making the tackle if the front line is defended.

Our corners have had huge issues with getting beat on the deep balls (BMac) and have also been horrible covering the end on short passes (William Gay) I really think a cover corner should be the top priority. I am a huge fan of Aaron Williams of Texas and his teamate Curtis Brown.

:thumbsup:

finesward
04-24-2011, 12:09 AM
oh here we go again....

don't listen to everything you hear from the talking heads on TV. they just like to pick storylines and go with it...so if the stats say we are #1 against the run then they will praise dick L for stopping the run, thus adding the CB's to the mix of being physical and not afraid to tackle, yada yada yada...

Dick's scheme is not that brilliant of a concept, there is no mystery to it....

You stop the run... check

You force the other team to be one dimensional... check

You disguise pressure to get after the quarterback.... well sometimes

More often then not you can get there, but sometimes if the players aren't winning the one on one battles you don't and thus you lose (the superbowl)

Completely changing the philosophy of the defense with the personnel we have drafted because you think it would of won us one game is ludicrous. That same philosophy got us to the SB, and won 2 previous trips. Harrison didn't get after the QB, Woodley was a non-factor, bmac not 100% and no depth (madison actually playing defense) = we lose. Has nothing to do with cover skills, all scheme. They had a blueprint of how to beat us and executed, we had a plan to beat them and didn't. It's really as simple as that. Let it be already...

pete74
04-24-2011, 05:45 AM
steelers game plan is to win the battle at the line. its impossible to have it all when there is a salery cap so were never going to be able to have perfect LB'ers, CB's and line. the line of scrimmage is more important to us and thats why we wont grab a CB in round 1 this week and im fine with that

finesward
04-24-2011, 08:12 AM
how would you prefer to lose? getting gouged by an elite QB (SB loss) or getting gouged by the run (think jacksonville loss in playoffs) pick your poison

thumper
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
It's like saying, "We like our QBs to be able to block." OK, not quite
that stupid but along the same lines. Get some gad dang CBs who
can cover and make plays.

thumper
04-24-2011, 03:18 PM
BTW, every CB they have taken the last several years have 4 x 4s for hands.
Have you ever seen sorrier CBs at trying to catch the ball? Our # of ints from
CBs is embarrassingly low. But, they can tackle, so it must be all good.

mikegrimey
04-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I doubt Lebeau isn't concerned with finding good cover corners. This is just another case of fans portending to know more than they do.

Anyways, we've just been bad at drafting CBs the last few years, so few have panned out how we planned. Gay obviously didn't live up to expectations and Burnett and Lewis weren't even good even to get real playing time. It is a position that we are desperately thin at, 1 injury amongst the CBs and we're gonna look real real bad. Hopefully we can get some insurance at the position.

finesward
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
It's like saying, "We like our QBs to be able to block." OK, not quite
that stupid but along the same lines. Get some gad dang CBs who
can cover and make plays.

Well if our offense revolved around disguising run/pass plays a QB that could block would be an asset. You don't seem to get why having CB's that can tackle is important in a defense like dicks. Just think about what would happen if we sent an overload blitz pulling the deep safety and left a CB alone with a WR, and that CB wanted to make a play and jump the quick out, or got stiff armed while trying to make a tackle and that WR trotted untouched to the endzone. How many times has that happened? Besides ike falling down against holmes I can't think of too many.

Fire Arians
04-24-2011, 08:27 PM
we definitely need better cover corners.

PhantomJB93
04-24-2011, 09:24 PM
I support having and emphasis on run-stopping CB's, but at the same time coverage skills cannot completely be sacrificed to have such players. We can't be drafting, signing, and starting CB's just because they play the run well, they need to be able to hold their own in coverage as well.

We do need much better coverage CBs, I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of pure man-toman ability for a CB who can stop the run well but I don't want William Gays either. They need to be held to a higher standard and not given a free pass on our team for their runstopping ability.

stb_steeler
04-24-2011, 10:27 PM
If we cant beat Patriots once in awhile then we dont deserve to be in the SB.... You have to beat the best some times.

thumper
04-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Well if our offense revolved around disguising run/pass plays a QB that could block would be an asset. You don't seem to get why having CB's that can tackle is important in a defense like dicks. Just think about what would happen if we sent an overload blitz pulling the deep safety and left a CB alone with a WR, and that CB wanted to make a play and jump the quick out, or got stiff armed while trying to make a tackle and that WR trotted untouched to the endzone. How many times has that happened? Besides ike falling down against holmes I can't think of too many.

No, I understand why _any_ player on defense should be able
to tackle. My point is they end up putting too much weight on DBs
being able to tackle and we end up with stiffs who just blow out
there trying to cover anyone. That is not acceptable.

Keenan Lewis - Garbage.
Joe Burnett - rubbish
Ryan Mundy - Crap
Anthony Smith - Could hit like a monster, but dumber than a rock

I did like the picks of Ike and McFadden though.

thumper
04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
If we cant beat Patriots once in awhile then we dont deserve to be in the SB.... You have to beat the best some times.

Yup. We beat them twice in recent history - once when they
were without Brady, and the other when we peaked too early
in 2004 and crushed them at Heinze Field, only for them to beat us
when it mattered most in the post season. One of the worst disappointments
in memory. Cowher just crapped his pants once again in the AFCC game.

kirklandrules
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
It's a great formula to make a team one dimensional, then play the mind games with blitz and coverage packages that result in turnovers. However, with CBs that can't catch and back-ups that can't understand the system, the Steelers can only beat on teams with average-to-weak QBs (hence the Steelers own the AFC North). Ike has to learn to pick a few passes more than 1.2 times per year and B-Mac and Troy need to stay healthy.

thumper
04-25-2011, 03:32 PM
It's a great formula to make a team one dimensional, then play the mind games with blitz and coverage packages that result in turnovers. However, with CBs that can't catch and back-ups that can't understand the system, the Steelers can only beat on teams with average-to-weak QBs (hence the Steelers own the AFC North). Ike has to learn to pick a few passes more than 1.2 times per year and B-Mac and Troy need to stay healthy.

We can't expect Ike to suddenly learn how to catch; if he was going to
learn to make picks he would have long ago. He just has crap hands,
nothing you can do. But a truly healthy B-Mac and TP will go a long,
long way, plus if they draft the kid from TX, we could be in pretty good
shape. I know there are major concerns over having to play a rookie
at starting CB but I think they can simplify that side of the field to help
the new kid out, PLUS, maybe they will actually put a CB there who
_can_ actually catch the ball, and that could be an upgrade, as far
as that portion goes. I think they should go best possible CB round
1 even if they do have Ike return. Looking at the last 10 years of Pgh's
drafting, they have gone pretty weak for CB for a long time - as bad
as how weak they have gone on drafting OL-men when you look at it.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/steelers.html

And let's not forget about 1 player who could alter this discussion
and their position: Butler.

They were very high on this guy in camp last year. Maybe he is ready
to break out - he has all the physical skills needed. Anyone know
the status on this guy?

finesward
04-28-2011, 02:07 PM
We can't expect Ike to suddenly learn how to catch; if he was going to
learn to make picks he would have long ago. He just has crap hands,
nothing you can do. But a truly healthy B-Mac and TP will go a long,
long way, plus if they draft the kid from TX, we could be in pretty good
shape. I know there are major concerns over having to play a rookie
at starting CB but I think they can simplify that side of the field to help
the new kid out, PLUS, maybe they will actually put a CB there who
_can_ actually catch the ball, and that could be an upgrade, as far
as that portion goes. I think they should go best possible CB round
1 even if they do have Ike return. Looking at the last 10 years of Pgh's
drafting, they have gone pretty weak for CB for a long time - as bad
as how weak they have gone on drafting OL-men when you look at it.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/steelers.html

And let's not forget about 1 player who could alter this discussion
and their position: Butler.

They were very high on this guy in camp last year. Maybe he is ready
to break out - he has all the physical skills needed. Anyone know
the status on this guy?

Your banking on the same hoop-lah they had about keenan lewis out of camp. Mind you they drafted lewis because he was an ike prototype kind of player, NOT because of his tackling like you love to proclaim b/c you heard it on sportscenter, but because of his SIZE and speed. They wanted him to play bump and run coverage. I hate to break it to ya, but spending a first rounder on Williams is an even bigger gamble b/c essentially he is the same body type/cover corner as Lewis was. So you say, go smaller but have the guy at least be able to catch....WRONG again, they tried that with burnett and he kept getting abused physically.

Your idea that you draft a CB and then simplify things for him so he won't make mistakes and that would make the defense better is to put kindly RETARDED. For this defense to be effective you need established players who know their duties to allow others to perform. When you have guys like madison, or a rookie like williams in there others won't be able to roam free because your having to make things simple for the rook. That's a silly idea, one that lacks any kind of thought behind it, and a simplistic reactionary view that shows you just love to wahhhhhhh about how stupid the front office is and how you would do so much better if you were in charge. Drafting a mid 2nd round talent CB in the 1st round b/c of a need and skipping over 20 players that could be great like most if not all of our recent 1st rounders is STUPID. Williams will never be a great CB or even a very good one. You have to go top 10 to find those players, which astonishingly we haven't had in the past 10 years or whatever you were looking at our draft history. Hmmm....maybe that's because whatever system the front office is using to draft players is WORKING and you know the saying...

I hope they trade up for POUNCEY. Man wouldn't it be great to have the twins play next to each other! It would be sooooooo CUTE!!!!:popcorn:

kirklandrules
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Not sure I agree with ya, Finesward. Yes, there are a number of good and great corners who were drafted high. But I believe the Post Gazette had an article on how a large number of the top corners in the league today were mid and lower round draft picks.

Also, I'll sh!t on my pillow and roll my face in it if the Steelers trade up to get Pouncey. I just don't see that happening. I agree that Williams really isn't the best choice and like the idea of trading down into the 2nd.

ebsteelers
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
pittsburgh will take harris/williams at 31 or trade back, if one of the quarterbacks is there

finesward
04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Not sure I agree with ya, Finesward. Yes, there are a number of good and great corners who were drafted high. But I believe the Post Gazette had an article on how a large number of the top corners in the league today were mid and lower round draft picks.

Also, I'll sh!t on my pillow and roll my face in it if the Steelers trade up to get Pouncey. I just don't see that happening. I agree that Williams really isn't the best choice and like the idea of trading down into the 2nd.

Agreed, so why take a gamble on a late 1st rounder just because you have a need when you can keep trying with the 3-7th round picks like we have been? If pouncey is gone in the teens and a qb is still available that someone wants I think we could get much more quality with a pair of 2nd rounders.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 12:56 AM
You have to take the gamble because we HAVE NOT STOPPED AN ELITE PASSING QB/4WIDE since the second half of the Arizona SB.

Like one of the other posters said and I've been saying it for years. Our D doesn't adjust and is great beating Cincy, Clev, Jets, and Baltimore. Why? They don't have accurate QB's.

You realize that we are heading down the exact same path as the last two years. We have zero DB's. ZERO.

We'll get into the playoff then get bombed when you have to play a real team.

Llama

Same Pass Defense. Same Results.

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 01:01 AM
You have to take the gamble because we HAVE NOT STOPPED AN ELITE PASSING QB/4WIDE since the second half of the Arizona SB.

Like one of the other posters said and I've been saying it for years. Our D doesn't adjust and is great beating Cincy, Clev, Jets, and Baltimore. Why? They don't have accurate QB's.

You realize that we are heading down the exact same path as the last two years. We have zero DB's. ZERO.

Llama

http://goodwilltravels.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Gloom-and-Doom.jpg

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Good pic, next you'll move on to Crayons big boy!

You are so cute.

I love how people resort to pictures and "voice of reason" when people have some pretty legit concerns about a PASS D that hasn't shown up since the 2nd Half of the Arizona SB.

Wanna bet we try to pressure Tom Brady and he shreds us? You wanna bet Cam Heywood doesn't help us out?

Llama

Deserei90
04-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Good pic, next you'll move on to Crayons big boy!

You are so cute.

I love how people resort to pictures and "voice of reason" when people have some pretty legit concerns about a PASS D that hasn't shown up since the 2nd Half of the Arizona SB.

Wanna bet we try to pressure Tom Brady and he shreds us? You wanna bet Cam Heywood doesn't help us out?

LlamaExaggerating Much?:noidea:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
What good Pass Offense have we stopped?

Let's start with the Super Bowl and work our way back?

Look at the stats, tell me what Sportshow doesn't continually point out that we can't defend the pass?

Llama

"Not pay attention to facts much?"

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 02:03 AM
You are so cute.

Llama

Awwww, thanks sweety! :flap:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 02:07 AM
You guys remind me of the "i'm the greatest fan ever" club. It's like the Pens fans who swear up and down they have good Wingers... ugh.. yeah

Llama

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 02:11 AM
You guys remind me of the "i'm the greatest fan ever" club. It's like the Pens fans who swear up and down they have good Wingers... ugh.. yeah

Llama

And you remind me of the biggest Chicken Little fan ever. The sky is always falling. :jerkit:

What part of me saying that I have concerns over the secondary too didn't you understand, douche? I'm not willing to come on here and boo hoo and claim we are totally doomed before the damn draft is even over, much less the season even started.

Sixburgher
04-29-2011, 02:14 AM
http://pictureperfectsandiego.com/files/2009/12/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Sky is always falling? WTF are you smoking?

I said our pass defense is really bad. The stats back it up.
Our Play vs any good QB backs it up.
Our current DB's back it up
Our coaches inability to cover up how bad they are
Our coaches inability to develop any DB for THREE YEARS!

DING!

Did I say our QB sucks? Did I say our LB's suck? Did I say our DL sucks? Did I even bring up our OL? (They will be fine just unlucky with all the injuries)

Since you are obviously slow or married to Mike Tomlin, I've simply asked you to provide any kind of adult dialog on how the Steelers have improved vs. the 4-wide/QB passing attack that has been there downfall for the last two years?

1. I'll give you a start, hopefully Carnell Lake can get any draft pick in the last three years to produce? Once again it might be a fact there Mrs. Tomlin? Yes or No, have we drafted and developed a DB in the last THREE YEARS?

2. Hopefully, we draft any DB resembling an actual football player (not very hopeful as the draft is a crapshoot and 2nd through 7th is a lot of luck)

3. See... now think with your little brain and give me some more?

Llama

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Sky is always falling? WTF are you smoking?

I said our pass defense is really bad. The stats back it up.
Our Play vs any good QB backs it up.
Our current DB's back it up
Our coaches inability to cover up how bad they are
Our coaches inability to develop any DB for THREE YEARS!

DING!

Did I say our QB sucks? Did I say our LB's suck? Did I say our DL sucks? Did I even bring up our OL? (They will be fine just unlucky with all the injuries)

Since you are obviously slow or married to Mike Tomlin, I've simply asked you to provide any kind of adult dialog on how the Steelers have improved vs. the 4-wide/QB passing attack that has been there downfall for the last two years?

1. I'll give you a start, hopefully Carnell Lake can get any draft pick in the last three years to produce? Once again it might be a fact there Mrs. Tomlin? Yes or No, have we drafted and developed a DB in the last THREE YEARS?

2. Hopefully, we draft any DB resembling an actual football player (not very hopeful as the draft is a crapshoot and 2nd through 7th is a lot of luck)

3. See... now think with your little brain and give me some more?

Llama

I already told you I agree, you simpleton. I just don't share your "gloom and doom" outlook on how this upcoming season is going to end up. Show me one post where I said our secondary is good. You can't because I didn't say it. Maybe if you actually read the posts instead of just spouting off, you might comprehend that.

You are the one on here REPEATEDLY saying how our secondary sucks so bad we'll never win against a good passing team this year. Thanks for the "adult dialogue", Kreskin. You're a genius.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Hahaha, I think I'm talking to Sara Palin. Obviously, reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

I said I'm really disappointed in our first round pick ( I think he'll be good ) but he can't help with our HUGE GLARING and NATIONALLY KNOWN PROBLEM.

You spout off a bunch of BS saying I'm not a fan, then you really agree, but I still suck.
You say I don't know shit about the draft, etc. because everyone else is 100% in picking who is good or bad and they absolutely know that all the CB's were a reach... yeah okay.

So, again I bring it back to the facts listed below and then you say "Kreskin" everybody knows this... wow. You betcha, they know it.

I never said it was doom and gloom. I said we'd win the division and go to the Playoffs. But it's looking alot like what the media has said for the last two years and what we had to listen to the entire SB. GB will spread us out and roll.

What happened?
Llama

SH-Rock
04-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Alright almight llama,
What would have you have done if you had the 31st pick?

finesward
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Llama

I think your a closet Bengals fan, cause that's how they draft...not how the pittsburgh steelers draft. So, again what was the result of the arizona SB? And did Ben not have a chance to win the game AGAIN at the end of the GB SB? Yeahhh...that's right. :wink02: No defense is going to completely shut out good passing attacks, but you know if you get pressure on the QB those teams go from great to very average. You are all about the now, Colbert is all about the next 10 years. You think about this season, he drafts for 2015. He's done an excellent job using mostly low 1st rounders.

Sorry no one else is with you in thinking we should change our whole draft philosophy because we have a need at CB. Sorry, not buying it. We didn't start drafting OL after Faneca left just because we had a need for it and ended up winning the SB w/o him. You and thumper should go circle jerk each other and get off on how much better you are than kevin colbert.

And as for helping with our nationally known problem, your problem is you don't understand that a pass rush will negate a good passing QB, as pressure = inaccuracy, fumbles, ints, sacks, and all around pissing and shitting of the QB. If he can fill in and not have a letdown in performance we keep our aging linemen fresh longer, and keep them healthy going into the playoffs where maybe they can get after the QB better than they did against GB. The D line and LB'ers were spent in the SB, you could tell.

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 08:53 AM
sorry llama, im pretty sure kc and the rest of the front office knows more than you,

its not exactly like are dline is young,, and if cam was mid first round talent and we get him end of round 1 then its a good pick, plus why reach for a corner if we can grab one later in round 2,

fresher d line men equals more pressure

like you said if he hasnt developed a dback yet why waste a first round pick according to you?

overall nice pick, and watch a db slide to us

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
I think your a closet Bengals fan, cause that's how they draft...not how the pittsburgh steelers draft. So, again what was the result of the arizona SB? And did Ben not have a chance to win the game AGAIN at the end of the GB SB? Yeahhh...that's right. :wink02: No defense is going to completely shut out good passing attacks, but you know if you get pressure on the QB those teams go from great to very average. You are all about the now, Colbert is all about the next 10 years. You think about this season, he drafts for 2015. He's done an excellent job using mostly low 1st rounders.

Sorry no one else is with you in thinking we should change our whole draft philosophy because we have a need at CB. Sorry, not buying it. We didn't start drafting OL after Faneca left just because we had a need for it and ended up winning the SB w/o him. You and thumper should go circle jerk each other and get off on how much better you are than kevin colbert.

And as for helping with our nationally known problem, your problem is you don't understand that a pass rush will negate a good passing QB, as pressure = inaccuracy, fumbles, ints, sacks, and all around pissing and shitting of the QB. If he can fill in and not have a letdown in performance we keep our aging linemen fresh longer, and keep them healthy going into the playoffs where maybe they can get after the QB better than they did against GB. The D line and LB'ers were spent in the SB, you could tell.

agree, exactly what defenses were stopping the packers or pats last year?

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
From another thread:

CB's? See our last 3 drafts with Tomlin the genius DB coach and talent finder? Sorry, we are going to get bombed through the air again.

2 years straight now three...

McFadden was crap and he is our only signed DB? The other clowns couldn't even step up over W. Gay.

Llama

Guess what? We got bombed for the last two years by our inept DB's and DB coaching.

I'll take a wild guess. We'll do well during the Regular season then get bombed when we have to play a good passing team like the Pats, etc.

Llama

How'd the Pat's season turn out? EVERY team has weaknesses. Ours just happens to be CB.

Or maybe Heyward can cover the TE or SLOT because...

Because Green Bay is still ****ing throwing on us.... but I guess we'll love getting bombed this year and then lose to a Rodgers/Brady/New Orleans...

Because we know they what they will do... line up four and watch the our clowns give up 10 yards a clip.

Llama

Like I said, watch us get bombed again and like it. You guys act like it is rocket science. How did we lose the last two years? .... I'm pretty sure you remember how we the lost...

Reach for a CB? I don't think our DB coaches/scouts have a clue that is why we can't draft them. Sure we'll get one tomorrow who can not crack the practice squad! Awesome.

I think you are mad because you know what's going to happen or do you want to watch the SB again?

Llama

It's amazing how you think a DE will cover the SLOT?

We have Bryan't "10 yards a catch" McFadden as our primary option. He has been hot garbage for 2 years? Add up those Arizona stats... he' s giving out free candy in our backfield.
Ike won't sign... somebody will offer him batshit crazy money.
C. Butler can't even find his helmet.
Who else? Exactly, we have -depth at CB.

Two years running we've been gashed by passing teams and Tomlin sticks his head in the sand. Oh yeah, Ben can bail them out... you can only hit that well so many times.

Please tell me how you think we'll cover 4-Wide? Pressure, yeah that's right, that PRESSURE that Brady and Rodgers felt by DESTROYING us in 2 Q's and then coasting for the next two.

Once again, just show me a logical way we'll actually stop a pass? Didn't think so but we'll beat up Cleveland and Cincy! Sweet!

Llama

Like was previously stated... pressure on the QB. We did it before with McFadden and Gay playing corner. Why not again with a 2nd round CB pick that can possibly contribute?

Clark can't cover.
Superman can't cover 4 guys
Ike will be gone.
And as you said "No CB" can just step into this vaunted Defense. A vaunted DEFENSE that hasn't stopped the pass in TWO YEARS. Sure we can pile it on Cincy, Clev, and we'll beat BALT / JETS because they don't have an accurate QB.

I'll go back to my original point. We'll still get bombed by the Pats, NO, Green Bay's. We don't adjust AND we have no CB's

Llama

Our PASS D will be shit.

We'll get to the Playoffs then get bombed by a passing attack we KNEW they would do but won't adjust and won't draft anything to counter it.

Does that sound familiar?

llama

Sounds like a lot of "doom and gloom" to me. We may as well not even try. :jerkit:

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Hahaha, I think I'm talking to Sara Palin. Obviously, reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

And I'm talking to Corky from "Life Goes On". You aren't even arguing MY point.

You spout off a bunch of BS saying I'm not a fan, then you really agree, but I still suck.

I never said you weren't a fan. Show me the post oh "master of reading comprehension". I also never said "you suck". Is there some sort of English-to-retard language barrier I'm not seeing here?

I've also agreed all along that our CBs (aside from Ike) are not very good, just that we shouldn't have reached in the first for a guy we can pick up in the second.

You say I don't know shit about the draft, etc. because everyone else is 100% in picking who is good or bad and they absolutely know that all the CB's were a reach... yeah okay.

Again, reading comprehension. Where, exactly, did I say you don't know shit about the draft? Never said it. Also never said that ALL cornerbacks in the draft were a reach. Just possibly the ones available to us at 31.

So, again I bring it back to the facts listed below and then you say "Kreskin" everybody knows this... wow. You betcha, they know it.

:doh: You're making this too easy, Corky. The exact quote: "
"You are the one on here REPEATEDLY saying how our secondary sucks so bad we'll never win against a good passing team this year. Thanks for the "adult dialogue", Kreskin. You're a genius."

Where does it say "everybody knows this"? :huh:

In review:
1) I agree our CBs (except Ike, who may leave) are not very good.
2) I hold out HOPE that Butler or Lewis puts it together this season.
3) I DO NOT share your feelings that we have NO chance against "better passing teams". It's all about exploiting THEIR weaknesses.
4) I do not feel that there was a first round worthy CB pick left at 31.
5) The Steelers WILL pick up a CB in round 2 that could be just as good as anyone available at 31 in the first.
6) You are a total paste-eater.

I can't put it in any simpler terms for you to understand, unless there is some sort of finger-painting function on the site here that I can draw some pictures with that you may comprehend that I don't know about.

Phineas J. Dingyflicker

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 11:28 AM
And I'm talking to Corky from "Life Goes On". You aren't even arguing MY point.

I never said you weren't a fan. Show me the post oh "master of reading comprehension". I also never said "you suck". Is there some sort of English-to-retard language barrier I'm not seeing here?

I've also agreed all along that our CBs (aside from Ike) are not very good, just that we shouldn't have reached in the first for a guy we can pick up in the second.

Again, reading comprehension. Where, exactly, did I say you don't know shit about the draft? Never said it. Also never said that ALL cornerbacks in the draft were a reach. Just possibly the ones available to us at 31.

:doh: You're making this too easy, Corky. The exact quote: "
"You are the one on here REPEATEDLY saying how our secondary sucks so bad we'll never win against a good passing team this year. Thanks for the "adult dialogue", Kreskin. You're a genius."

Where does it say "everybody knows this"? :huh:

In review:
1) I agree our CBs (except Ike, who may leave) are not very good.
2) I hold out HOPE that Butler or Lewis puts it together this season.
3) I DO NOT share your feelings that we have NO chance against "better passing teams". It's all about exploiting THEIR weaknesses.
4) I do not feel that there was a first round worthy CB pick left at 31.
5) The Steelers WILL pick up a CB in round 2 that could be just as good as anyone available at 31 in the first.
6) You are a total paste-eater.

I can't put it in any simpler terms for you to understand, unless there is some sort of finger-painting function on the site here that I can draw some pictures with that you may comprehend that I don't know about.

Phineas J. Dingyflicker

good post.

any one think we take a flyer in the supplemental draft on jenkins from florida?

top 5 talent but loves the sticky icky

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Like I said Mrs. Tomlin, I guess we'll see. You love the Steelers so much they do not wrong ever. We'll draft incredible CB's in the later rounds. You betcha!

(32) Evander "Ziggy" Hood DE/DT Missouri 6'3 300
3 (79) Kraig Urbik OG Wisconsin 6'5 328
3 (84) Mike Wallace WR Mississippi 6'0 199
3 (96) Keenen Lewis CB Oregon State 6'0 208
5 (168) Joe Burnett CB Central Florida 5'9 192
5 (169) Frank Summers RB/FB UNLV 5'9 241
6 (205) Ra'Shon Harris DE Oregon 6'4 298
7 (226) A.Q. Shipley C Penn State 6'1 304
7 (241) David Johnson TE Arkansas State 6'2 260

23 Rashard Mendenhall Illinois RB
2 22 Limas Sweed Texas WR
3 25 Bruce Davis UCLA DE/LB
4 31 Tony Hills Texas OT
5 21 Dennis Dixon Oregon QB
6 22 Mike Humpal Iowa LB
6 28 Ryan Mundy WVU S

But what do facts know,
Llama

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Like I said Mrs. Tomlin, I guess we'll see. You love the Steelers so much they do not wrong ever. We'll draft incredible CB's in the later rounds. You betcha!

4 31 Tony Hills Texas OT
6 22 Mike Humpal Iowa LB
6 28 Ryan Mundy WVU S

But what do facts know,
Llama

The phrase in red is my favorite. :toofunny: And you talk to me about "reading comprehension"? No wonder I don't "understand you". :sofunny:

The Steelers won't wait till beyond round 3 to draft a CB unless they have some other plan, so you can eliminate those rounds from your list.

Not sure how the pick of Hood or Mendenhall could be construed as later round picks since they were drafted in the first. Plus they are pretty good which doesn't help your case.

Wallace was a steal in round 2 IMHO. He's been awesome.

I still think the jury's out on Lewis and Sweed.

You could go down the post first round picks of EVERY team in the NFL and find players that didn't pan out, Corky. It's basically a crap shoot most of the time after round 3 or 4 anyway. Mostly role players, camp fodder and preseason cuts with the occasional gem or diamond in the rough mixed in.

And. yes, we will see. :wink02:

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
i guessthis clown llama knows more then the front office of a team that has won 2 super bowls in the past 5 years and been to 3...

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
i guessthis clown llama knows more then the front office of a team that has won 2 super bowls in the past 5 years and been to 3...

We can only hope Art Rooney II is here scouring the board for this kind of infinite wisdom for the Steelers scouting department. Sign him up, Art! :chuckle:

BehindSteelCurtain
04-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Id rather have a team throw on us for 600 yards and 6 Tds than watch their RB rush for 200 yds and 4 TDs

Deserei90
04-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Damn, Somebody's having a Meltdown I see. Jeez the draft is not even over yet.

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 02:23 PM

4 31 Tony Hills Texas OT
6 22 Mike Humpal Iowa LB
6 28 Ryan Mundy WVU S

But what do facts know,
Llama

We did go to the Super Bowl without drafting quality CBs in the later rounds, no?

It makes no sense to draft a CB just because we needed one. You want to draft another Bryant McFadden because Bryant McFadden sucks too bad?

You have to learn how to rationally balance costs with benefits. We may need a CB, but if the CB we get at 31 isn't that much better than the CB we'd get at 62, we may as well get a dominate defensive end and a slightly less talented CB. And it's not like we don't need a defensive end with Keisel getting up there at age 32. The other option would be to draft a slightly more talented CB at 31, and a much less talented (less talented than Heyward) player at 62. It's not that hard to understand.

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 02:32 PM
We did go to the Super Bowl without drafting quality CBs in the later rounds, no?

It makes no sense to draft a CB just because we needed one. You want to draft another Bryant McFadden because Bryant McFadden sucks too bad?

You have to learn how to rationally balance costs with benefits. We may need a CB, but if the CB we get at 31 isn't that much better than the CB we'd get at 62, we may as well get a dominate defensive end and a slightly less talented CB. The other option would be to draft a slightly more talented CB at 31, and a much less talented (less talented than Heyward) player at 62. It's not that hard to understand.

You're wasting your time, clopp. Logic doesn't apply to llama. Careful, or you'll be accused of being married to LeBeau or Colbert. :chuckle:

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
You're wasting your time, clopp. Logic doesn't apply to llama. Careful, or you'll be accused of being married to LeBeau or Colbert. :chuckle:

lol, guess i gotta keep my lips closed about me and carnell lake lol

opps

haha!

have faith they know what there doing, its not the stains or jengals , Its the PITTSBURGH MUTHA ****IN STEELERS, im all fired bout to jack someone in the office up, lets go :tt03:

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
lol, guess i gotta keep my lips closed about me and carnell lake lol

opps

haha!

have faith they know what there doing, its not the stains or jengals , Its the PITTSBURGH MUTHA ****IN STEELERS, im all fired bout to jack someone in the office up, lets go :tt03:

QENfsjW-rM8

:chuckle:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 03:38 PM
It's funny, no actually facts to back up why our Secondary will be good and I'm angry, crazy, and illogical. Wow. The draft after the First round is a total crapshoot so suddenly we'll draft another Troy P. in the 2nd or 3rd... or that wonderfully predictable 7th.

Anyway, thinking about it, you guys are absolutely correct. The secondary won't get torched this year... because they won't be playing Football ; )

I stand corrected!
Llama

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 03:42 PM
It's funny, no actually facts to back up why our Secondary will be good and I'm angry, crazy, and illogical. Wow. The draft after the First round is a total crapshoot so suddenly we'll draft another Troy P. in the 2nd or 3rd... or that wonderfully predictable 7th.

Anyway, thinking about it, you guys are absolutely correct. The secondary won't get torched this year... because they won't be playing Football ; )

I stand corrected!
Llama

Still not able to read, huh llama? I never said they were going to be good, thus, no need for any "facts" to back up the assertion. I'm bored with trying to tutor you in basic English. Time for.... http://www.readingfoundation.org/images/partners/hooked_on_phonics_logo.gif

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
buddha,

there is no point, because llama knows more than anyone in the steelers front office,
thats why we should of reached for a cb..

i'll take my chance with kc in the front office rather than llama...

every draft is a crap shoot, whose to say if we took williams or harris that they would be better then butler or gay next year?

finesward
04-29-2011, 10:16 PM

I stand corrected!
Llama

Here's the only fact you need to focus on, 3 super bowl appearances in 6 years with a "torched" secondary. You don't need good corners when you have a dominant D-line and versatile LB's who can apply PRESSURE to the QB. Get it through your thick numb nuts skull. Pressure on QB > good corners

In case you can't tell we put a lot of money into the LB position for a reason...because we lean heavily on having them being able to PRESSURE the QB. :banging:

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Here's the only fact you need to focus on, 3 super bowl appearances in 6 years with a "torched" secondary. You don't need good corners when you have a dominant D-line and versatile LB's who can apply PRESSURE to the QB. Get it through your thick numb nuts skull. Pressure on QB > good corners

In case you can't tell we put a lot of money into the LB position for a reason...because we lean heavily on having them being able to PRESSURE the QB. :banging:

Well said. :thumbsup:

Which coach are you married to, fines? :chuckle:

55BaileyFan
05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
we definitely need better cover corners.

I still say Pass Rush over Cover Corner any day.