PDA

View Full Version : What If The Pats Lost Brady?

hardwork
05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
I was looking at an old thread just now about where the Patriots would be without Tom Brady. I think we got our answer against Denver. Despite all the mistakes made in that game by the Patriots, and giving Denver their due, if Brady had been his usual playoff self, we would have won.

Live by the QB, die by the QB.

Livinginthe past
05-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Being without Brady would definitely cause the Patriots problems - he is the best QB in the NFL by some distance so it makes sense that his loss would be strongly felt.

For large parts of the Denver game he was throwing well and racking up yardage at will - but it is my opinion that the turnovers on offense (the fumbles) that preceded his INT to Champ Bailey forced him to try and make throws that werent really there.

I also have to query the fitness of his throwing shoulder - I seen Brady throw numerous 'quick pitches' to Givens on the LOS toward the end of the season that bounced in front of the reciever - he is normally very accurate with the quick timing patterns.

This year Pittsburgh found a way to raise their game to help their struggling QB in the SB - the Pats 'O' found a way to make Brady's job unmanageable.

Talking of the Denver game - I dont think we should forget just how impressive the Pats D, and in particular its run D, had been that night - they shut down the NFL's best running team almost totally.

Most of these guys are returning.

NM

hardwork
05-17-2006, 05:20 PM
Talking of the Denver game - I dont think we should forget just how impressive the Pats D, and in particular its run D, had been that night - they shut down the NFL's best running team almost totally.

Most of these guys are returning.

NM

I agree completely. That's one of the reasons I say had Brady not missed a couple of big plays we would have won. Not that the fumbles weren't devastating, they were. But Brady, normally, our defense that day, and our game plan that day, were all good enough to overcome even that many fumbles.

I saw those short passes into the ground from TB also and I agree it usually means his shoulder is bothering him. And I worry about it all the time. Every year.

tony hipchest
05-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I agree completely. That's one of the reasons I say had Brady not missed a couple of big plays we would have won. Not that the fumbles weren't devastating, they were. But Brady, normally, our defense that day, and our game plan that day, were all good enough to overcome even that many fumbles.

I saw those short passes into the ground from TB also and I agree it usually means his shoulder is bothering him. And I worry about it all the time. Every year. his shoulder is mush. if cassell were to come in and lead the pats to the superbowl would belichick trade brady to the jets or bills, or do you think he'll try to move him out of the division?

boLT fan
05-17-2006, 05:28 PM
What would the Patriots be without Brady? The Ravens. :busted:

Livinginthe past
05-17-2006, 05:45 PM
his shoulder is mush. if cassell were to come in and lead the pats to the superbowl would belichick trade brady to the jets or bills, or do you think he'll try to move him out of the division?

I think he would trade him to the Steelers.

I know it was suggested to 'Big' Ben that he use Bettis as a role model - but I think following his diet aswell may backfire - that chin strap looks awfully tight.

Maybe Ben could move to NT as a run stopper in the 3-4 leaving a space for Brady at QB.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I was looking at an old thread just now about where the Patriots would be without Tom Brady. I think we got our answer against Denver. Despite all the mistakes made in that game by the Patriots, and giving Denver their due, if Brady had been his usual playoff self, we would have won.

Live by the QB, die by the QB.

Why even ask this question? I think its clear if the Pats did indeed lose a 3time Super Bowl Champion QB that they would be in major trouble. I hate Brady but I give the guy his just due. He is the best QB in the NFL without a doubt.

hardwork
05-17-2006, 05:55 PM
"I think he would trade him to the Steelers.

I know it was suggested to 'Big' Ben that he use Bettis as a role model - but I think following his diet aswell may backfire - that chin strap looks awfully tight.

Maybe Ben could move to NT as a run stopper in the 3-4 leaving a space for Brady at QB."

Lol

hardwork
05-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Why even ask this question? I think its clear if the Pats did indeed lose a 3time Super Bowl Champion QB that they would be in major trouble. I hate Brady but I give the guy his just due. He is the best QB in the NFL without a doubt.

Why ask the question? Just a way to think about the coming season by finishing off last year in my mind.

slashsteel
05-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Being without Brady would definitely cause the Patriots problems - he is the best QB in the NFL by some distance

:rolleyes:

Yes he is a damn good QB but this is about a homer comment if I ever read one. I disagree that Brady is a clear number one. IF in fact he is the best he isn't leading by a wide margin, more like a slim one.

tony hipchest
05-17-2006, 06:07 PM
I think he would trade him to the Steelers.

Maybe Ben could move to NT as a run stopper in the 3-4 leaving a space for Brady at QB.

NM or de (i bet ben could beat seymour out of a probowl spot within 2 years) seriously though, ben being called fat is an old story that goes back to before last season. funny how with all that extra weight he seems much more mobile than the lean brady.

so i guess if it was proven another 2nd year qb could win a sb with the pats, belichick trading brady would be out of the question?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Why ask the question? Just a way to think about the coming season by finishing off last year in my mind.

I'm just saying the question answers itself. You can't replace a 3time Super Bowl winning QB.

Livinginthe past
05-17-2006, 06:24 PM
:rolleyes:

Yes he is a damn good QB but this is about a homer comment if I ever read one. I disagree that Brady is a clear number one. IF in fact he is the best he isn't leading by a wide margin, more like a slim one.

Well its certainly an opinion call.

But the facts do tend to back me up.

Brady already has 3SB rings, and an incredible post-season record.

I cannot think of another current QB who even comes close to that level of success.

There are certainly some real talented guys coming through - Big Ben and Carson Palmer, but most peoples pick to run Brady close would be Manning - and Brady has come out on top everytime they have met in a big game.

And the Steelers proved this year that New England isnt the only team that owns him come playoff time.

NM

Livinginthe past
05-17-2006, 06:28 PM
or de (i bet ben could beat seymour out of a probowl spot within 2 years) seriously though, ben being called fat is an old story that goes back to before last season. funny how with all that extra weight he seems much more mobile than the lean brady.

so i guess if it was proven another 2nd year qb could win a sb with the pats, belichick trading brady would be out of the question?

Well its a hugely theoretical scenario - but somehow I doubt that any living QB could win the SB in the style Brady has won his in the past.

The 4th quarter comebacks, the clutch throws, carrying an offense that hasn't had a viable running game for 2 out of the 3 SB winning seasons....all these are fantastic achievements.

I can't see how a QB who played for one year, or part of one year could possibly push Brady out of the starters position in New England - no matter what success he achieved.

NM

tony hipchest
05-17-2006, 06:36 PM
I can't see how a QB who played for one year, or part of one year could possibly push Brady out of the starters position in New England - no matter what success he achieved.

NM

i hear ya. i thought the same about bledsoe but he was awfully expensive and the bills made an offer noone could refuse.

Livinginthe past
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
i hear ya. i thought the same about bledsoe but he was awfully expensive and the bills made an offer noone could refuse.

Bledsoe promised much but tended to fade away come the big game.

No one doubts the strength of that cannon arm, but his decisions under pressure - where he would panic and throw the ball up for grabs hurt the Pats more than his massive amounts of yardage helped.

I remember when he stepped into the playoff game against Pittsburgh and landed that TD on the same drive (im pretty sure it was his first drive) everyone said what a great job he done filling in - but his actual stats for that game after that point were very mediocre.

Bledsoe was a good QB and no more, though if he had had BB coaching him and more back-up in terms of team talent maybe he could have won a SB - but those are pretty big if's.

NM

SteelShooter
05-17-2006, 09:52 PM

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: OMG! Now THAT was funny....I don't care who you are! :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Ohio Steeler
05-17-2006, 10:16 PM

now that's a classic :sofunny:

SteelerzGirl
05-17-2006, 11:23 PM
What if the Pats lost Brady? I would be very, very happy! Why? Is he going someplace far, far away? :smile:

MattsMe
05-17-2006, 11:53 PM
...but somehow I doubt that any living QB could win the SB in the style Brady has won his in the past.

You mean by leaving it up to his kicker?

Of course I'm only kidding. Brady is a great QB, but I'm sure there are a few - though not many - who could have done the things he did, if given the same situation.

3 to be 4
05-18-2006, 12:26 AM

Of course I'm only kidding. Brady is a great QB, but I'm sure there are a few - though not many - who could have done the things he did, given his same situation.

I agree. Montana,Unitas,Starr, Elway, Staubach. yeah, there are a few.

i'll be honest. the Patriots would be screwed without Brady. hes the one indespensible player in that whole ball of wax.

as far as Bledsoe, Ive been a huge Patriots fan since the early 70's, and I had dreams of Bledsoe becoming another Marino or Aikman. But i gave up on him the day Mike Vrabel stripped him of the ball at the end of the 7-6 Steelers playoff win. That was Bledsoe's Elway-moment. to finally drive the team down the field to pull out a playoff game. and he follows up blowing the regular season game in Foxboro by throwing the pass to the LB with an 8 point lead and 2 minutes to go by predictibly blowing the potential game winning drive.
Drew Bledsoe NEVER put a good 16 game season together. He always starts seasons great and fades at the end. He will end up 2nd all time in passing yards, will get to the HOF based on numbers, but those who saw him will know he was just very good.
i swear, minutes before Mo Lewis drilled him, i was watching the Patriots losing to the Jets and about to go 0-2 and knowing he just signed that contract i said to myself "our only hope is that he gets hurt" BAM!!!!! and 5 plays after Brady came in and i saw how looked in the pocket i knew he was better than Bledsoe.
And Bledsoe was not the angel in 2001 everyone says he was. He made darn sure everyone knew how "betrayed" he felt. And he was less concerned that his team won the Super Bowl than his own role in it. Had he joined the team and fans at the post SB 36 parade and rally he would ALWAYS have been remembered as a full fledged part of the title, partners with Brady. It was Bledsoe who made sure everyone in NE knew he felt he wsnt a part of it. So i guess we know how he feels about his backup QB's. some team player.
Best trade we ever made was getting him out of town for the pick that got Ty Warren. And that #14 pick in 2003 allowed them to trade their own #19 to Baltimore (Boller) for a second round pick (Eugene Wilson) and a #1 in 2004 (Vince Wilfork). So basically we traded Bledsoe and Boller for Warren,Wilfork and Wilson!!!!

MattsMe
05-18-2006, 12:34 AM
I agree. Montana,Unitas,Starr, Elway, Staubach. yeah, there are a few.

Thank you. Of course there is one more...a certain back to back SB MVP...

clevestinks
05-18-2006, 04:58 AM
Pats could not survive without Brady at this point. Brady is much more than just a QB that can throw the ball. This kid is a winner, and seems to be one of the smartst qb`s in the league. I become more and more impressed with him , year after year.

Livinginthe past
05-18-2006, 05:35 AM

Of course I'm only kidding. Brady is a great QB, but I'm sure there are a few - though not many - who could have done the things he did, if given the same situation.

Ok my bad.

When I said 'living' I actually meant 'playing' - there are some great QB's who could have pulled out them type of performances - Montana was the exact guy I was trying to eliminate...oh well :dang:

NM

hardwork
05-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Brady is Larry Bird in cleats.