PDA

View Full Version : Secondary decisions

mesaSteeler
04-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Secondary decisions

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Steelers said Monday they will approach this week's NFL Draft assuming their top cornerback, Ike Taylor, won't be back for the 2011 season.

"We are going to draft on the basis of the team that we know we have at this point," director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday. "The guys that we have are the guys that we have."

Taylor is an unrestricted free agent, and the sides were unable to come to an agreement last month before the lockout shut down NFL operations. The Steelers opted not to place a transition tag on Taylor that would have paid him the average of the top 10 salaries at his position ($8.1 million for one year).

It's possible the Steelers could sign Taylor to a long-term deal, but the organization cannot count on that.

"We are going to pick based on our team as it currently stands," Colbert said.

The Steelers hold the 31st pick in the draft, which begins Thursday, and could use that selection to choose Taylor's long-term replacement. They haven't selected a cornerback that high since 1997, when they took Chad Scott 24th overall.

None of the team's corners last season -- Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler, Donovan Warren and unrestricted free agents Taylor, Anthony Madison and William Gay -- were selected higher than the second round.

McFadden was taken in the second, Lewis the third, Taylor the fourth, and Gay and Butler the fifth. Madison and Warren were not drafted.

Draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. said this might be the ideal year for a team needing a cornerback but not wanting to use a first-round selection to get one.

"It is one of the deepest positions in this draft," Kiper said. "You are going to get some guys, for a variety of reasons, in the second and third rounds. It is a very intriguing cornerback group from top to bottom."

LSU's Patrick Peterson, Nebraska's Prince Amukamara and Colorado's Jimmy Smith will be off the board by the time the Steelers pick, leaving the organization a decision of whether it could get better value selecting a cornerback in a later round.

"They don't have to pick one in the first round," Kiper said. "Ike Taylor wasn't a first- or second-round pick. You think about Ike Taylor and even some of the other corners in the NFL, and a lot of them weren't taken in the first round."

Philadelphia's Asante Samuel was taken in the fourth round, Tennessee's Cortland Finnegan in the seventh and New Orleans' Jabari Greer was undrafted. They are considered among the top corners in the NFL.

Kiper points toward a couple of cornerbacks he had high on his draft board but since have dropped who the Steelers could take in later rounds.

Miami's Brandon Harris, Utah's Brandon Burton and Virginia's Ras-I Dowling could be steals as second- or third-round picks.

"A lot of teams have been very effective getting corners that weren't early picks," Kiper said. "It doesn't have to be the first round. I just say that corner has to be a draft pick, (but) it doesn't have to be with the 31st pick."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Secondary decisions - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_733947.html#ixzz1Kg4VnFan

rangerman
04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
what i want to know is what is the deal with ike? we resign him or let him walk and draft two corners in the first two or three rounds then address the o-line? what do you guys think i think we should resign him draft 2 CBs one in the first or second and one in the fourth or so. that way we can train them then let ike go if we dont want him anymore

Wallabeast17
04-26-2011, 08:30 PM
what i want to know is what is the deal with ike? we resign him or let him walk and draft two corners in the first two or three rounds then address the o-line? what do you guys think i think we should resign him draft 2 CBs one in the first or second and one in the fourth or so. that way we can train them then let ike go if we dont want him anymore

I say resign him as we do not have anyone to fill his role. I don't know about you but last season everytime he was shakin up after a play or slow to get up I was very scared! However even if we resign him we still need to draft a corner high! No more late rd corners and hope to get a diamond in the rough, yes it could work but more often then not you do not! Especially no late rounders if your greatest need is that position!

PhantomJB93
04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
It's gotten to the point where as long as we get either Aaron Williams or Ras-I Dowling, I'll be happy. I don't care whether it's a first, second, or if Dowling somehow slid back to our third (which wont happen), but as long as we get one of them I will not be upset where we go otherwise in the draft.

I just hope we don't pass on one in the first and have both be gone by our next pick. I'd be pretty upset if the best CB we get is like Brandon Burton or somebody of that caliber.

rangerman
04-26-2011, 08:56 PM
I say resign him as we do not have anyone to fill his role. I don't know about you but last season everytime he was shakin up after a play or slow to get up I was very scared! However even if we resign him we still need to draft a corner high! No more late rd corners and hope to get a diamond in the rough, yes it could work but more often then not you do not! Especially no late rounders if your greatest need is that position!

preaching to the choir brother but you cant forget it cant get alot worse he usually let his man catch the ball anyways lol! 11 int in 8 yrs that is his int stats

Wallabeast17
04-26-2011, 09:02 PM
preaching to the choir brother but you cant forget it cant get alot worse he usually let his man catch the ball anyways lol! 11 int in 8 yrs that is his int stats

Yea haha that is terrible but he is our most solid corner he just has stone hands haha.

Same here Phantom either dowling or williams would make me happy as well!:hatsoff:

rangerman
04-26-2011, 09:06 PM
if we play our cards right we may can get both in the second. i know its unlikely but its not impossible. we have to trade down and get a second round pick for our first round one.

Wallabeast17
04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
if we play our cards right we may can get both in the second. i know its unlikely but its not impossible. we have to trade down and get a second round pick for our first round one.

well if there is a team needing a quarterback and is looking to trade into rd 1 it could be possible. Take williams with the 1st second rounder and hope dowling drops to us at the end of the 2nd although i don't believe he will.

rangerman
04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
it never hurts to dream man but we can still probably have a chance harris from miami or burton burns and some house kid that i have seen on mock drafts the options are there its just how you approach the problem IMO

taztroy43
04-27-2011, 01:28 AM
I like the way youguys are thinking...I would like us to trade into the 2nd round and take Williams first and Dowling 2nd in the 2nd(Dowling won't drop to us in the bottom of the 2nd...So if we really like him we should trade up):noidea: ...But I really like Dowling and I think he'll be an Ike Taylor 2.0 for us but w/ better hands...lol....but if Williams pans out he can be one of those new future breed CB/FS like HOF Rod Woodson/Charles Woodson/Carnel Lake types of guys....but I do believe Dowling would fall into that kind of category because of his size and tackling ability....so :noidea: ....I would love for both Williams and Dowling to be dressed in black and gold next season....:tt04:

MDSteel15
04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by rangerman

Yea haha that is terrible but he is our most solid corner he just has stone hands haha.

Same here Phantom either dowling or williams would make me happy as well!:hatsoff:

You 2 are stupid! He is an excelent pass defender and no one has his speed!! INTs don't mean everything. How many pass defenses did he have? Which he ranks in the top of the league each year at.... Let's get those great Dallas or Washington corners in here and see how many TDs we give up then! :banging:

rangerman
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
you must be watching anothe ike he usually is beat by his man and the only passes he really breaks up are usually wounded ducks and straight at him. plus without troy you would see the real ike come out sir not the one troy has to bail out almost every game. no disrespect but the stupid comment was not needed or called for. if u read carefully we never said he was washingtons corners we said he is solid but a playmaker is a stretch of the imagination.

MDSteel15
04-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Never said he was a playmaker either! I was compairing him to them!

MDSteel15
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Hell, Alphabet and Revis each had a combined ZERO INTs last year! So you think there teams want to get rid of them?

Wallabeast17
04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by rangerman

You 2 are stupid! He is an excelent pass defender and no one has his speed!! INTs don't mean everything. How many pass defenses did he have? Which he ranks in the top of the league each year at.... Let's get those great Dallas or Washington corners in here and see how many TDs we give up then! :banging:

I never said he was bad or anything like that all i said he has stone hands. I happen to really like Ike. All i said is that 11int in 8years was terrible, not him! But then again if he could catch he probably would have been a wide reciever. Like i have said many times before i cringed everytime he was shakin up after a hit or slow to get up because i know he is without a doubt a good solid and the best corner we have and very afraid to see Bmac and Gay as #1 and #2 corners(mostly Gay:doh:)

rangerman
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
its obvious it took things out of context neither of us said he was bad i like him on our team however if he wants top ten CB money he wont get it from us he is not that good.