PDA

View Full Version : Like the Heyward Pick but..

Steeltownbeatdown12
04-29-2011, 01:14 AM
I think Heyward will be a good guy and player, but i am really worried about our secondary. Ike is as good as gone, Gay and McFadden proved that they are not worthy, Keenan Lewis can't handle himself, and Crezdon Butler is a huge question mark. I'm all for trading up for Dowling, Harris, or Williams in the second, but none of these guys can start right away in our D. Would it be too much to ask of the Steelers to go after a guy like Cromartie or Carlos Rogers because i know Asomugha is way out of our price range. Thoughts?

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 01:16 AM
I think Heyward will be a good guy and player, but i am really worried about our secondary. Ike is as good as gone, Gay and McFadden proved that they are not worthy, Keenan Lewis can't handle himself, and Crezdon Butler is a huge question mark. I'm all for trading up for Dowling, Harris, or Williams in the second, but none of these guys can start right away in our D. Would it be too much to ask of the Steelers to go after a guy like Cromartie or Carlos Rogers because i know Asomugha is way out of our price range. Thoughts?

I say we hold a huge bake sale and get all three! :chuckle:

Seriously, we are probably going to have no choice but to try to get one of them if Ike leaves and none of the others (Butler, Madison or Lewis) looks like they can step up. I still have a good feeling about Butler.

Steeltownbeatdown12
04-29-2011, 01:19 AM
They need to just sign Asomugha and call it an offseason lol.

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 01:23 AM
They need to just sign Asomugha and call it an offseason lol.

We're gonna need to have a bake sale AND flea market. :sofunny:

JCPsteelers
04-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Honestly thought we should have rolled the dice and traded up and got the kid from Colorado.

I like Heyward though. You can always use extra DL.

Steeltownbeatdown12
04-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Honestly thought we should have rolled the dice and traded up and got the kid from Colorado.

I like Heyward though. You can always use extra DL.

Nah, he had a lot of character concerns. He fits in well with the Ravens' "Gangsta D". They should of traded up for Amukamara...

Aussie Steeler
04-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Great pick imo. The CB position will undoubtedly get addressed in the second round. Will address the CB position in the second round undoubtedly. I really think Butler can step up should Ike leave.

BritishSteel
04-29-2011, 06:10 AM
I thought they'd go one line or the other, so Heywood's no surprise to me - but as it unfolded last night, it became an even surer thing - There's decent value in Rd 2 with cornerbacks and who knows what happens in free agency. It's a solid pick.

LambertIsGod58
04-29-2011, 06:30 AM
I thought if Jimmy Smith was there, they'd take him and if not Williams from TX. In my opinion, CB is their glaring need and we didn't draft accordingly. Again just my opinion, but it seems like the secondary is always an issue.

Rick5895
04-29-2011, 06:59 AM
This is a great pick. All this talk of our pass D is true, but remember we have had DL injuries the last couple of years that hurts the pass D as much if not more than the play of our CB. Obviously the Steelers don't have the same feeling as all the so called draft experts on the CB's. My guess is we will get Dowling if he falls, but I love the way we draft. We have been to 3 super boels the past 6 years, Mike and kevein know what they are doing.

Deserei90
04-29-2011, 07:02 AM
I knew Jimmy Smith wouldn't get picked by us, I think the guy have some off field issues. And the Steelers don't need no more of that!

IowaSteeler927
04-29-2011, 07:19 AM
I think if they were going to go defensive end that Adrian Clayborn would have been a better fit for the Steeler D than Cameron Heyward. Both Clayborn and Heyward had awesome seasons in 2009 and both had a drop off in 2010 due to the extra attention they were getting in the form of double teams, triple teams, and chip blocks. However Clayborn also played hurt, and has Erbs Palsey. Cameron Heyward was not hurt and doesn't have as much of an excuse for his drop off.

Overall though they shouldn't have picked a d-lineman. We have enough depth there to get by this year, we needed a cornerback who could step up and play right now and that would have been Akamakumara (may have spelled that wrong) or Jimmy Smith. Instead we pick up a guy to add depth to the D-Line which was Number 1 against the run last year. Makes no sense to me.

Atlanta Dan
04-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Peter King's take:

Some guys should be Steelers. Cam Heyward fits very well there. He's a versatile defensive end who can play the run well and penetrate well to bother the passer. Might be the long-term replacement for Brett Keisel, who turns 33 in September. But I'm like everyone else: I think Pittsburgh should have gone corner here, with such a desperate need at the position, or offensive tackle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/1.html

Steelers better sign Ike Taylor

saint0917
04-29-2011, 07:32 AM
I like this pick alot, he'll learn alot the next year or 2 playing behind Smith and Keisel, these two super star are getting up there in age, and are starting to get a little injury prone. No question the Steelers need to address the CB situation, and they will do that in round two.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Well we do still have Gay to play CB and McF, lol.

Personally speaking, Heyward would be a great pick here IF we had a CB or 2 under contract that was any good. But we don't. We have none. Also we appear to not like signing free agents so I guess Aron Smith and maybe Charlie Batch can suit up for CB this year. Both need jobs.

Steelerindc
04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm with you guys, I thought they should've went Aaron Williams first. Hopefully they'll make some trades and move up to get Williams but I know that's just a dream, just like signing a top tier CB free agent.

Saying all of that I can't be to mad at the pick, the Steelers do need an influx of youth along that D-Line.

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 08:39 AM
hard to be mad at the pick, i had said before the pick had a feeling it wouldnt be a corner,

i think round 2 harris or williams falls, or dowling is there

next year secondary will be much improved,
mark it down

SouthTexasSteel
04-29-2011, 08:56 AM
My gut feeling is a second Buckeye, CB Chimdi Chekwa in the late second, no need to trade up... just sayin'

saint0917
04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
hard to be mad at the pick, i had said before the pick had a feeling it wouldnt be a corner,

i think round 2 harris or williams falls, or dowling is there

next year secondary will be much improved,
mark it down

I like Harris alot, very physical and not afraid to mix it, very good in man-to-man coverage, and good in run support. The one thing I don't like is small CB's, he's only 5' 9 1/2".

Navy86
04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure if this really means much, but the fact that the kid is a huge Steeler's fan all his life and now gets to play for his favorite team has to provide at least a little extra motivation to work hard and perform well. Also, down the road whenit comes time for free agency, he may very well stay a Steeler his entire career. High character kid. Love the pick. I really did not expect to see him there at 31.

saint0917
04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
My gut feeling is a second Buckeye, CB Chimdi Chekwa in the late second, no need to trade up... just sayin'

No way, that's way to high, 4th round maybe.

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
There's no sense taking a good corner just because we need one and pass up taking a potentially dominate player. Colbert said there were 20 special players in this draft, and obviously Heyward was one of them. The Steelers are just sticking to their philosophy of taking the best player available which has worked for the past 10 years. It would have been nice if the best player with the 31st pick was a CB, but unfortunately it wasn't in the cards. Colbert can help it that the BPA was a DE, not a CB.

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I like Harris alot, very physical and not afraid to mix it, very good in man-to-man coverage, and good in run support. The one thing I don't like is small CB's, he's only 5' 9 1/2".

With Williams and Harris still on the board, I think getting that CB from Virginia might be a real possibility. We may have to trade up to middle-late second though, but I don't think that would cost too much; and it would probably be worth it considering how bad we need a corner.

rangerman
04-29-2011, 09:39 AM
With Williams and Harris still on the board, I think getting that CB from Virginia might be a real possibility. We may have to trade up to middle-late second though, but I don't think that would cost too much; and it would probably be worth it considering how bad we need a corner.

your absolutely right sir :coffee:

saint0917
04-29-2011, 09:52 AM

I would love to see the Steelers get Ras-I Dowling from Virginia, but you're right, they might have to move up a few spots to get him.

Steeltownbeatdown12
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Even if we take a corner in round 2, our secondary is still going to get torched next year if it's true that Ike is gone...

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Even if we take a corner in round 2, our secondary is still going to get torched next year if it's true that Ike is gone...

Your secondary is only as good as your worst corner, so in my estimation, it won't make much difference to get Ike back. Ike could cover his receiver like white on rice, but if McFadden's receiver is wide open, it's still going to be a completion.

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

who said ike is gone?

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
I think it was a great pick. We DO have serious needs at CB (unless the staff knows something about Crezdon Butler that we do not know), but I have been saying it for some time-- DL was our most pressing need. With Big Snack, Kiesel, and Aaron Smith already receiving SSI benefits & getting gray hair, we need to bring in the future of our DL and let them learn behind the consummate masters for at least a year.

We saw how long it took Ziggy to get up to speed, and he issupposedly one of the sharper tools in the toolbox, how many years can the mighty Hampton & Aaron Smith have left in them?

The DL and LBer corps is the bread & butter of this franchise. As long as we take good care of both of those, there is a future for the Steelers.

ETL
04-29-2011, 07:55 PM
It's amazing how a strong pass rush makes the secondary shine.

BigRick
04-29-2011, 11:39 PM
It's amazing how a strong pass rush makes the secondary shine.

Very good point.:tt03:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
04-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Heyward and Hood on the ends could be deadly. Maybe a NT sometime in the next couple rounds as well?

Fire Arians
04-30-2011, 12:27 AM
jerell powe would be someone to look at in rd 4 to replace hampton in the future

steeltheone
04-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Hampton needs replaced now...Mainly because of his salary...Hoke makes a quarter of Hamptons pay and you can see no difference in play when he is on the field.

SoCalFan
04-30-2011, 10:45 AM
The stats can be decieving.We were 1st against the run last year,14th against the pass...I dont know how many times I yelled out "wheres our dam pass rush" last season...I like the pick.We need to get QB pressure to give the secondary some help.