PDA

View Full Version : lets bash bill (i whine) billick

tony hipchest
05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
note: title should read brian billick but who the f--- really cares

what little bitches. you dont hear none of this crap coming out of the steelers camp as far as santonio holmes missing time is concerned. steelers just deal with it. the ravens would rather cry and moan.

By Jamison Hensley
Sun reporter
Originally published May 15, 2006

From the cover

After just meeting their rookies this weekend, the Ravens had to part ways with two of their top draft picks for the rest of the offseason camps.

Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata and wide receiver Demetrius Williams both confirmed yesterday that they will miss the remaining 15 spring workouts because of an agreement between the NFL and the NCAA, which likely will force them to play catch-up when Ravens' training camp begins Aug. 1.

The long-standing NFL rule, which came with the encouragement of the American Football Coaches Association, limits a player to one minicamp with his pro team while his school is still in session.

Ngata, a first-round pick, and Williams, a fourth-round selection, aren't allowed to return to the Ravens' training complex until June 16, the last day of exams for the University of Oregon, even though both have withdrawn from the school. The last day of minicamps for the Ravens is June 15.

"It really [stinks] because I'm going to be way behind in learning the playbook," said Ngata, who is expected to start immediately. "I'm going to try my hardest to communicate with the coaches and try to teach myself."

Ravens officials were aware of the rule when they drafted both players.

This policy, which was designed to help players stay in school, affects a small number of rookies because most colleges hold commencement in the middle of May, a time when most NFL teams are just starting to hold minicamps.

But players from schools that hold spring exams in June - such as Oregon, Ohio State, UCLA, Stanford and Washington - are penalized.

In talking with prospects at the scouting combine in February, Ravens coach Brian Billick estimated that 90 percent had already left school. Many players stop attending classes as soon as the football season ends in order to starting working out for the draft.

"The intent [of the rule] was correct and we always supported it, but the problem is that it's not happening. Players are going to stay in school or they're not," Billick said. "This [offseason work] is important stuff. If we didn't need to do this, we wouldn't. For them to miss that amount of time, it's very unfortunate for them. It puts them at a competitive disadvantage. The rule needs to be re-evaluated."

The purpose of spring workouts is to give first-year players a foundation for the system and a familiarity with teammates that will carry into training camp. The sessions include non-contact practices that are followed by meetings where they break down the playbook and film.

Billick said the Ravens would send instructional DVDs that will help Ngata and Williams digest the information. Coaches could also visit them.

"It puts me behind," said Williams, a candidate for the No. 3 receiver spot who is still searching for someone to throw to him over the next month.

"When I come to training camp, a lot of guys are going to be off and running. It's just difficult. I don't think it's that great of a rule."

Because Ngata and Williams are virtually assured spots on the roster, the one Ravens newcomer who is most affected by this rule is undrafted quarterback Drew Olson.

Hoping to catch on as the No. 3 quarterback, Olson understands missing those minicamps could hurt his chances. On pace to graduate from UCLA with a history degree, he is trying to see if he can attend the June minicamps by taking his final exams early.

"It would definitely be a bummer if I couldn't be here," Olson said. "Obviously, [the minicamps are] huge, crucial and beneficial for myself. It's kind of in the hands of the professors right now."

• Notes // Offensive lineman Chris Chester, who missed the first day of minicamp because of his graduation from the University of Oklahoma, flew in yesterday and participated in the afternoon practice. ... Because running backs coach Tony Nathan was attending his daughter's graduation, assistant Jedd Fisch oversaw that position during minicamps. ... Before their two full-team minicamps in June, the Ravens will have three weeks of voluntary workouts. Those practices are closed to the public and media.

DIESELMAN
05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Great athletes overcome and adjust. I think its a good rule for the mere fact that there is life after the NFL. Yes they are missing out on valuable practice time but its nothing compared to an education that might be put on the backburner and never be thought of again. So I say get it done and over with finish what they started in college get back with the team and catch up any way you can. If the team is dedicated to having them then they will find ways to keep them in the loop and help them make the adjustments when they get back with the team. Dedication and hardwork is a Mother****er.....:helmet:

83-Steelers-43
05-17-2006, 08:36 PM
This Brian Billick you speak of........is this not the same man that invented football, fire and the wheel? How dare you!!!

Suitanim
05-17-2006, 08:42 PM
It's funny...since the Steelers won the Super Bowl, I find myself caring less and less about other teams...except for the Browns. I think i hate the Browns more than ever now...

ARKIESTEEL
05-18-2006, 07:17 AM
It's funny...since the Steelers won the Super Bowl, I find myself caring less and less about other teams...except for the Browns. I think i hate the Browns more than ever now...

I guess i hate the team and pity the fans

coachspeak33
05-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Don t pity those fools.... they get everything they deserve.... being a browns fan is like Kevin Bacon in Animal House....

Event Browns Fans Reaction
Storied franchise leaves town - "Thank you sir may I have another"
Horrid draft pick after horrid draft pick - "Thank you sir may I have another"
Fire a coach who won 3 division titles in 4 yrs - "Thank you sir may I have another"
Horrid coach selection, one after another - "Thank you sir may I have another"

Even to this day Browns fans believe that they have a respected and effective franchise, excuse me Browns fan, let me introduce you to Clipper fan. wait that is not right....OH MY GOODNESS, the browns are lower than the Clip joint.

Alright, let me try again, excuse me browns fan let me introduce you to.... ummm.... uhhhh.... okay here we go.... yes, browns fan, sorry for the wait.... we will be seating you in the this section over here right in between the devil ray fans and the atlanta hawks fan.....enjoy your meal.... we will be serving poop soup!!!!!!!

ARKIESTEEL
05-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe I am wrong in the felt pity but I still feel bad when Art pulled the team out of there.

Suitanim
05-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe I am wrong in the felt pity but I still feel bad when Art pulled the team out of there.

No, that was the right way to feel. We gained a lot of fans when that happened, and a lot of them stayed loyal.

ARKIESTEEL
05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I dont like the browns but i love football and anything that stirs up trouble like that messing with what i consider to be one of the corner stones of the nfl just leaves a bad taste in my mouth and pity in my heart. The bengals can move to cuba for all i care and take the ratbirds with them but please bring back the oilers they was fun

clevestinks
05-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Don`t hate me here, but I used to like Billick about 5+ years ago, I thought the ratbirds made out by getting him, now he is a big baby. Screw him

HburgXL06
05-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Ngata, a first-round pick, and Williams, a fourth-round selection, aren't allowed to return to the Ravens' training complex until June 16, the last day of exams for the University of Oregon, even though both have withdrawn from the school. The last day of minicamps for the Ravens is June 15.

Am I the only one that is disappointed yet not shocked by this? They are not allowed to attend camp because of school but these two have already quit school because they got drafted to the NFL, not smart. If they just had held out for a few more weeks they could have a degree. Now there is no future guarantees for them at all. Just because you get drafted doesn't mean that you should give up on school.

"It really [stinks] because I'm going to be way behind in learning the playbook," said Ngata, who is expected to start immediately. "I'm going to try my hardest to communicate with the coaches and try to teach myself."

They have a drafted rookie out of college and they are immediately puttin him in. This speaks bad all around. Bad that they don't have a player ahead of him good enough to compete for the spot. Bad that they are puttin a rookie into the game so fast before he can fully learn the new system. He'll be "behind" for one year. If he really wanted to do well he would use his time wisely and work hard when he got to camp to catch up. Shit Outta Luck that you have to wait. Your rookie year is supposed to be mostly learnin anyway.

Ravens officials were aware of the rule when they drafted both players.

If they knew of the rule then why are they b*tchin about it now?

This policy, which was designed to help players stay in school, affects a small number of rookies because most colleges hold commencement in the middle of May, a time when most NFL teams are just starting to hold minicamps.

Well, that worked out well......

In talking with prospects at the scouting combine in February, Ravens coach Brian Billick estimated that 90 percent had already left school. Many players stop attending classes as soon as the football season ends in order to starting working out for the draft.

That's not good. Sounds like there are multiple offenders who don't value their almost attained degree.

"The intent [of the rule] was correct and we always supported it, but the problem is that it's not happening. Players are going to stay in school or they're not," Billick said. "This [offseason work] is important stuff. If we didn't need to do this, we wouldn't. For them to miss that amount of time, it's very unfortunate for them. It puts them at a competitive disadvantage. The rule needs to be re-evaluated."

He's actually right on this, but he's makin the wrong point. The point should not be that they should be allowed to go to camp early but rather encouraged to stay in class and finish their degree or at least the semester.

Billick said the Ravens would send instructional DVDs that will help Ngata and Williams digest the information. Coaches could also visit them.

Problem solved. If they want them familar and everythin so bad there's the solution.

"When I come to training camp, a lot of guys are going to be off and running. It's just difficult. I don't think it's that great of a rule."said Williams

He doesn't think it's that great a rule, but it's there to try to help him (force him) to do somethin good for himself and get a degree.

Because Ngata and Williams are virtually assured spots on the roster, the one Ravens newcomer who is most affected by this rule is undrafted quarterback Drew Olson.

See above; this isn't good.

I mean not that we didn't all know it but "ravens" and "smart" don't really go together too easily.

BuFu

silver & black
05-18-2006, 07:48 PM

It's natuaral to feel that way. When the Raiders won the Superbowl, I felt the same way. Now, I hope to feel that way again before I get much older!

silver & black
05-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Don t pity those fools.... they get everything they deserve.... being a browns fan is like Kevin Bacon in Animal House....

Event Browns Fans Reaction
Storied franchise leaves town - "Thank you sir may I have another"
Horrid draft pick after horrid draft pick - "Thank you sir may I have another"
Fire a coach who won 3 division titles in 4 yrs - "Thank you sir may I have another"
Horrid coach selection, one after another - "Thank you sir may I have another"

Even to this day Browns fans believe that they have a respected and effective franchise, excuse me Browns fan, let me introduce you to Clipper fan. wait that is not right....OH MY GOODNESS, the browns are lower than the Clip joint.

Alright, let me try again, excuse me browns fan let me introduce you to.... ummm.... uhhhh.... okay here we go.... yes, browns fan, sorry for the wait.... we will be seating you in the this section over here right in between the devil ray fans and the atlanta hawks fan.....enjoy your meal.... we will be serving poop soup!!!!!!!

I agree! I live in Ohio, and 50 miles south of Cleveland. I go to a few games a year........... in hope of watching the sorry ass Browns lose!!!

I know, my team sucks at the moment too, but, I HATE THE BROWNS!!!.