PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want on day 2 of the draft?

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 08:22 AM
round 2- would love to see harris, williams, dowling or browm here, if not then ot ben ijalana

my guess
i'll say in the steeler way we take ben ijalana ot villanova

round 3- another cb sure would be nice, most likely a depth pick though for ol
maybe a tall wr?

my guess
round 3 - i'll say my guess would be we finally take a corner,

the only spots that truly need addressing are o line and cb now, obviously along with depth,

i doubt we take a wr even though a big tall wr could be nice, (maybe wes lyons will pan out) heres to hoping for that

rangerman
04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
do we have two in the third ? if not go with cornerback in the second in harris dowling or brown. if they are all gone go ben itajalana

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 08:34 AM
nope we only have one pick each round

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
i just feel like drafting an ol in round 2 is the steeler way,

maybe rounds 3-7 take dbacks hoping at least 2 pan out

steelerjim58
04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I am surprised at how many think the defense should be the first priority. An inconsistent offense has been the biggest problem, IMO. If the Steelers had even a better than average offensive line that could protect the qb, they would be the team to beat. The d has had to play lights out to keep them in games because the offense can't score consistently. And that is asking to much. In todays NFL, you won't win many games if your d is asked to hold teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, Indy etc., to less than 20 points.

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 09:26 AM
I am surprised at how many think the defense should be the first priority. An inconsistent offense has been the biggest problem, IMO. If the Steelers had even a better than average offensive line that could protect the qb, they would be the team to beat. The d has had to play lights out to keep them in games because the offense can't score consistently. And that is asking to much. In todays NFL, you won't win many games if your d is asked to hold teams like Green Bay, New Orleans, New England, Indy etc., to less than 20 points.

very true, but where do we go on offense? i said a big wr would be nice, maybe a te kyle rudloph would be sweet,

are we giving sweed one last chance?

qb fine
rb fine

wr- big wr,

te- couldnt hurt

o line- we know the story there

saint0917
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
2nd Round- CB-Ras-I Dowling, if we move up to get him
3rd Round- OG- Orlando Franklin or John Moffitt

saint0917
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
very true, but where do we go on offense? i said a big wr would be nice, maybe a te kyle rudloph would be sweet,

are we giving sweed one last chance?

qb fine
rb fine

wr- big wr,

te- couldnt hurt

o line- we know the story there

We have a big WR, his name is Limas Sweed, remember him?? At some point he just need to pull his head out of his a$$ :wink02:

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
We have a big WR, his name is Limas Sweed, remember him?? At some point he just need to pull his head out of his a$$ :wink02:

i hope but .....i wont hold my breathe, they said he was making strides last year before he got hurt, lets hope he keeps working and gets going

how about wes lyons, he still on the team?

saint0917
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
i hope but .....i wont hold my breathe, they said he was making strides last year before he got hurt, lets hope he keeps working and gets going

how about wes lyons, he still on the team?

You're right, I'm not going to hold my breath on Sweed, but I'm going to keep a little hope alive. As for Lyons, he would be good for goal line situations.

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
It seems most on here are convinced they'll take a CB in the 2nd, but I don't necessarilly think that will be the case. I hope that Dowling falls to pick 62 and that Colbert takes him, but I don't believe he'll be willing to trade up to take him. He's been saying all along how deep this draft is; in other words, teams should be able to wait without much of a drop-off. I think the Steelers want as many picks as possible in this draft.

They have a lot of different positions in which they could address with their 2nd and 3rd round picks. They could go NT, OG, OT, or CB.

Ideally I want Dowling, but I doubt he'll fall to 62; in fact, I don't even think the other Texas CB will fall to the Steelers. They may be forced to take on of their other needed positions in the 2nd round. I personally do not think OT is that much of a concern, so I'd like them to get a guard with the second pick. I wonder if Rodney Hudson will fall a few spots so the Steelers could get him? That would be excellent. He's a pretty well rounded player who could potentially start immediatly at RG.

I also wouldn't mind getting Kenrick Ellis at the back of the second to learn from and eventually replace the Big Snack. They're some big shoes to fill, but at 6-5 345, Ellis may not have too much trouble filling them.

In the third, I'd like to get Kendall Hunter RB OkSU. The Steelers may need a replacement for Mewelde Moore, and they definitely need depth at RB. Hunter at 5-7, 200 is almost a Daren Sproles clone - mini RB's are all the rage these days! He would be a perfect third down back. He would be an excelent candidate to catch screens out of the back field ( if Arians ever wises up), and this pick would add depth to a dangerously thin RB position.

ebsteelers
04-29-2011, 01:53 PM
me either, i had the same feeling last night that we werent taking a db in round 1

same feelling today, wont be surprised at all if we take og/ot type,

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Ugh totally what I was afraid of with the weak CB's

It looks there are only 3 CB's that are even worthy of a 2-3 round pick after that, pull out your shotguns because it's a huge crapshoot.

Looks like it will be OL (or maybe another linebacker ; )

Llama

I've seen other lists but this is pretty good average of all of them:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2011/breakdowns/by_position/CB.html

55BaileyFan
04-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Brandon Burton is the best option for us at corner. Williams is big waste because he won't be able to play the corner spot, he will be a safety. I have no idea why everyone is so high on Dowling either...no matter none of them will be there. Burton is NFL ready and is a quick learner.

Third, Andrew Jackson OL Fresno State. He is a big guy who could make a huge impact with some more muscle on his lower body.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Burton didn't look to great getting steamrolled by Boise State.

I think it will be OL and other positions. Huge drop off once Harris gets selected. Maybe we'll pick up a few scrubs that can't play in the 5th or so.

It looks like we dip into FA for CB's? The Steelers don't seem to be too worried about our inability to cover a pillow so maybe they have 2-3 CB's lined up in FA?

Doesn't look good for DB help though.

Llama

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
marcus cannon

mesaSteeler
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
We are naked at CB.

Cry Brady, the metro-sexual, will destroy us and so will any other decent QB with a spread offense. Well maybe there won't be a season this year so I won't have to watch us being destroyed.

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 07:41 PM
We are naked at CB.

Cry Brady, the metro-sexual, will destroy us and so will any other decent QB with a spread offense. Well maybe there won't be a season this year so I won't have to watch us being destroyed.

if we fix our o-line we can win with our offense imo. ben can't win a shootout if he's getting sacked 8 times a game.

honestly i don't know if there's any good cb's left, all the 1st year starter ready ones have been taken. they will probably pick some talented project cb's a la butler in the later rounds

mesaSteeler
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
if we fix our o-line we can win with our offense imo. ben can't win a shootout if he's getting sacked 8 times a game.

honestly i don't know if there's any good cb's left, all the 1st year starter ready ones have been taken. they will probably pick some talented project cb's a la butler in the later rounds

With the super genius Air Head Arians (who so such a brilliant OC we signed him to only one year) running it I don't think so. In any case I HATE HATE HATE shootout football. Oh well maybe there will be a nice long strike.

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
With the super genius Air Head Arians (who so such a brilliant OC we signed him to only one year) running it I don't think so. In any case I HATE HATE HATE shootout football. Oh well maybe there will be a nice long strike.

well true i rather not be involved in shootouts, but our defense still is good. Not great, but good. That to go with a good offense would make us a contender. Despite arians ben is very difficult to stop if he has protection. if we can build a solid o-line we will have another championship team, bank on it.

CaliStillersFan
04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Pgh traditionally only extends 1 year contracts to their coordinators. Unfortunately I was hoping as many others that Arians wouldn't get another one. :(

mesaSteeler
04-29-2011, 08:17 PM
well true i rather not be involved in shootouts, but our defense still is good. Not great, but good. That to go with a good offense would make us a contender. Despite arians ben is very difficult to stop if he has protection. if we can build a solid o-line we will have another championship team, bank on it.

Good against the run, I'll agree to that but good against a spread passing offense with a good QB?

The answer is NO. Consider the last SB as a exhibit 1. Consider the last SB we won as exhibit 2. We damn near lost that game to spread offense and quick release QB. We had to win in a shootout. We will lose as many shootout games as we win.

Consider that our secondary is almost total dependent on Troy. If he goes down again, which considering the way he plays and his injury history is quite possible, we will get killed!

If we lose Taylor to free agency then we will be totally fu'ked because we will have nothing back there. Not that Taylor is all that great since he can't catch a cold. Taylor is not famous for INTs.

Looks to me that the Steelers FO has decided that this is a reloading year. We'll beat weaker teams but against a good QB with a spread offense we'll be meat on the table.

Of course if we had a power running game and could keep the opponents offense off the field we might be able to win a few more. Oh I forgot we resigned the Airhead so we won't be running the ball. So much for that idea.

We might even make the playoffs with this team but then we will get blown out. Personally I'll be surprised if we make 10-6. 9-7 is more likely and a playoff miss.

Stick a fork in this season it's all ready over.

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
i respect your opinion man, but as long as roethlisberger is healthy we should be at least a 10-6 team

and keep your eyes on butler this offseason, i expect him to replace mcfadden as the #2 this year. ike hasn't been dealt yet, i expect him to be bacj

mesaSteeler
04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
i respect your opinion man, but as long as roethlisberger is healthy we should be at least a 10-6 team

and keep your eyes on butler this offseason, i expect him to replace mcfadden as the #2 this year. ike hasn't been dealt yet, i expect him to be bacj

I hope you are correct but I can't see it right now. I see a future of shoot out football and we will lose our share of those games.

Atlanta Dan
04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Stick a fork in this season it's all ready over.

OK - guess we can reconnect when we discuss the draft in April 2012 - hope you enjoy the off season that I guess runs until next spring:drink:

FWIW if Taylor is not re-signed I agree the Steelers are screwed for 2011

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
If Taylor is not resigned and Troy P gets hurt again... let's pray it does not happen.

Llama

Lady Steel
04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Don't even go there, sexyllama. Bad karma. lol.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
They have to have 2-3 free agent CB's lined up.

Just say NO:

Bryant "10-yards a catch" McFadden
Crezdon "Where is my helmet" Butler

Llama

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but we made it to the SB last year with this secondary. You guys sound a lot like chicken little right now.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Maybe you didn't finish watching the SB but GB handed us our ass in two quarters then coasted.

Aaron Rodgers did his Tom Brady impression by throwing for 300, the Steelers didn't even come close to touching him, he threw quick 3-5 step passes, averaged 10y/pass, and we LOST.

I'm pretty sure it's a well known problem that our secondary is horrible but okay. They are awesome and can't wait for that Pat's game.

Llama

PhantomJB93
04-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Maybe you didn't get the memo, but we made it to the SB last year with this secondary. You guys sound a lot like chicken little right now.

Maybe you missed it but we didn't beat a single elite quarterback last season as a result of that secondary and were lucky to get to the Super Bowl to begin with by drawing matchups with the Jets and Ravens. That's not gonna happen again.

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Maybe you didn't finish watching the SB but GB handed us our ass in two quarters then coasted.

We lost by six points after giving up 3 TOs.

Aaron Rodgers did his Tom Brady impression by throwing for 300, the Steelers didn't even come close to touching him, he threw quick 3-5 step passes, averaged 10y/pass, and we LOST.

Yes. We lost the SUPER BOWL. lol. In other words, we were the second best team; and you want to get all hysterical about CBs. Hilarious. On top of that, they guy that tore us a new one is probably one of the best QBs in the league, with probably the best 1-2-3 receiving corps in the league.

Do you know why we were even in the game despite giving up 300 yards passing and 3 TOs? Because the Packers couldn't run the ball. Do you know why they couldn't run the ball? Because the Steelers have the best front seven in the game, and Cam will only perpetuate our solid DL - which will keep us in games like the SB in the future, even if we don't have the best CBs in the league.

I'm pretty sure it's a well known problem that our secondary is horrible but okay. They are awesome and can't wait for that Pat's game.

Llama

Even though we're in a division with teams that try to run having RBs like Cedrick Benson, Peyton Hillis, and Ray Rice, with inexperienced/terrible QBs like Flacco, McCoy, and some rookie the Bengals just picked up. That's six games a year against teams that are much better at running the ball. Instead, you want to prepare for the Patriots, who we may or may not play each season. In fact, we made it past them in the playoffs without even playing them.

Sounds like a sound strategy.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
clopp,

Totally respect your opinion if you think they are good but on Day 1 of last year the National media and most of the hardcore Steeler fans thought we had big issues with our Secondary and on several games and the SB it proved to be fatally true.

As others have stated sure we'll beat the teams with Average QBs but once you get the playoffs it's a different story and we've been owned multiple times by Brady and now Rodgers. (and since the Arizona 3/4th quarters vs. Arizona)

The year before that when we didn't make the playoffs our Pass Defense was directly responsible for many of the losses, we couldn't hold a lead, and QB's picked our weak secondary apart.

Like I said, maybe they plan to get some free agent CB's otherwise it will be another rough playoffs/SB vs an elite QB.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
We lost by six points after giving up 3 TOs.

Do you know why we were even in the game despite giving up 300 yards passing and 3 TOs? Because the Packers couldn't run the ball. Do you know why they couldn't run the ball? Because the Steelers have the best front seven in the game, and Cam will only perpetuate our solid DL - which will keep us in games like the SB in the future, even if we don't have the best CBs in the league.

Uhh.. we got beatdown by Brady. I was at that game. I've never saw a ball challenged by our D.

GB couldn't RUN? ARE YOU SURE?

J. Starks 11 carries 52 yards with a 4.7 YARD AVERAGE. I'd say 4.7 is great but there was no need to run.

A. Rodgers 24/39 300 yards 3 TD and 111.5 rating? They would have scored two or three more with some of those easy drops.

Just like New England there is NO REASON TO RUN when you can go 4-wide, spread the field, and make Pittsburgh chase.

Llama

Like I said it's good enough to win in the Regular Season but I fear the Playoffs or a bad draw vs. Brady.

TRH
04-29-2011, 09:19 PM
the truth is...we should have never made it to the SB last year. I don't want to have to "get to the SB without playing NE...".
If you have to try and 'avoid' playing certain teams...then theres a problem. A big problem.

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Uhh.. we got beatdown by Brady. I was at that game. I've never saw a ball challenged by our D.

How did that affect our super bowl run?

GB couldn't RUN? ARE YOU SURE?

J. Starks 11 carries 52 yards with a 4.7 YARD AVERAGE. I'd say 4.7 is great but there was no need to run.

They ran for 52 yards. That's not very much. They only tried to run 11 times becuase they knew they couldn't sustain it. They used their running game as a change of pace. This despite the fact they had a 14 point lead. They knew they couldn't protect it by running, and this is exactly what kept the Steelers in the game.

A. Rodgers 24/39 300 yards 3 TD and 111.5 rating? They would have scored two or three more with some of those easy drops.

If, if, if......That's part of Lebeau's strategy. Somebody will make a mistake at some point or another.

PhantomJB93
04-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Curtis Brown. I guess I can live with that. Better than an Olineman or something else like I was expecting. I would have preffered Davon House.

I hope we get somebody decent in free agency though.

Wallabeast17
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Curtis Brown. I guess I can live with that. Better than an Olineman or something else like I was expecting. I would have preffered Davon House.

I hope we get somebody decent in free agency though.

Brown is the safier pick but some people believe House may have a bigger upside after some experience

Sixburgher
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
the truth is...we should have never made it to the SB last year. I don't want to have to "get to the SB without playing NE...".
If you have to try and 'avoid' playing certain teams...then theres a problem. A big problem.

We didn't "avoid" anyone. We beat a fierce division rival to advance to the AFC Championship. They're the ones who failed to sack up against the Jets.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
I guess we'll know in a few years but this draft is looking suspect. Didn't like Curtis Brown or any of the other Tier 3 CB's (there was a reason Texas was 5-7)

I'm guessing they are going to get 2-3 CB's through Free Agency.

"If, if, if......That's part of Lebeau's strategy. Somebody will make a mistake at some point or another."

Yeah, great strategy because we lost and they kept scoring. Remember, he didn't stop Warner either. We one because of Big Ben not the pass D. And the same spread is what Belisuck has pioneered to beat us.

Once again, they could have ran more... but why?
If, like Brady, you can throw without a CB within 5 yards of the receiver and gain 10 yards a catch there is no need to run.

Llama

Atlanta Dan
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
I wish the Steelers would have snagged Harris (although if he is that good what was he doing still hanging around with pick #60?)

But with the Steelers we need to recognize that the strategy is not to roll the dice for one season - so you will not see the Steelers do what the Falcons did last night and tank the draft to get one non-QB player to try and win it all once

Although he came close to blowing it up last spring, Steelers have a franchise QB for probably 5 more years - in today's NFL that is what is necessary to win Lombardis

So if the Steelers do not get a CB out of this draft and 2011 is not good year (see, e.g, 2006 and 2009) the theory is they look to compete in 2012-2015 and draft a CB next year

This front office has 2 Lombardis, 3 Super Bowl appearances, and 4 AFC championship appearances since #7 arrived over the last 7 seasons while replacing a very good HC - consider the possibility they know what they are doing in the draft

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
BTW, Green Bay throwing on almost every down is called "A Game Plan"

The Super Bowl coverage sorta hinted that they would do that because our PASS DEFENSE was considered below average. I'll let you in on a another big secret... most of the media points out that we don't have a pass D.

Peter King:
Some guys should be Steelers. Cam Heyward fits very well there. He's a versatile defensive end who can play the run well and penetrate well to bother the passer. Might be the long-term replacement for Brett Keisel, who turns 33 in September. But I'm like everyone else: I think Pittsburgh should have gone corner here, with such a desperate need at the position, or offensive tackle.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1KyCnDrwH

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
I totally agree Atlanta.. but you've got to admit our secondary is looking worse by the minute. If we lose Ike, it's gonna be bad.

I just don't think the draft was what we needed but we'll see.

I really think they might snag 2-3 CB's during the Free Agency period. ( I know they never sign free agents) but it's the only way I see the DB's being competitive. Please Lord, let Troy P. be injury free.

llama

Sixburgher
04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
This message is hidden because sexyllama is on your ignore list.

Ahhh...much better.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Awesome! Who in F#()# are you and why do I care!

Thanks!
Llama

Buddha Bus
04-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Somebody please throw the retard a kitty. Maybe it'll distract him long enough for intelligent adults to have a conversation. :noidea:

finesward
04-29-2011, 10:14 PM

The Super Bowl coverage sorta hinted that they would do that because our PASS DEFENSE was considered below average. I'll let you in on a another big secret... most of the media points out that we don't have a pass D.

Peter King:
Some guys should be Steelers. Cam Heyward fits very well there. He's a versatile defensive end who can play the run well and penetrate well to bother the passer. Might be the long-term replacement for Brett Keisel, who turns 33 in September. But I'm like everyone else: I think Pittsburgh should have gone corner here, with such a desperate need at the position, or offensive tackle.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1KyCnDrwH

For someone with such organic vision and advanced vision you sure do use the media A LOT to back up your unique perspectives on why the steelers will be torched all year long and how bad the CB's are and how silly KC is for not drafting Williams, and not trading up for Ras, etc. etc.. etc.....

BigRick
04-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Somebody please throw the retard a kitty. Maybe it'll distract him long enough for intelligent adults to have a conversation. :noidea:

Judging by the user name I don't think kitties are what trips this persons trigger.:rofl:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Actually, I just picked the first quote from many media, football analysts, as well as many people here. Also, pretty much the only thing this team has huge problems with is Belisuck and that damn spread does on us.

Have you been watching our games then you'll know it's pretty much the only major problem area we have.

Never said they would be torched all year. I said we can't be Elite Qb's using the spread and we've done nothing in since Arizona to fix it.

Anyway, sorry for saying anything negative about the Steelers because obviously they are perfect and your not a fan otherwise.

Llama

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
This message is hidden because sexyllama is on your ignore list.

Ahhh...much better.

I'm liking the sound of that

finesward
04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Actually, I just picked the first quote from many media, football analysts, as well as many people here. Also, pretty much the only thing this team has huge problems with is Belisuck and that damn spread does on us.

Have you been watching our games then you'll know it's pretty much the only major problem area we have.

Never said they would be torched all year. I said we can't be Elite Qb's using the spread and we've done nothing in since Arizona to fix it.

Anyway, sorry for saying anything negative about the Steelers because obviously they are perfect and your(you're?) not a fan otherwise.

Llama

Dude are you high or something??? When you read that back does it make sense? You may be a fan, but of the bandwagoner, gloom and doom (not to mention not that smart) variety. Yes there are others on here like you who make equally obvious and negative statements, and there are media outlets that love to point out the glaring weaknesses of the O-line and DB situation in da burgh...but those guys have been saying the same old tired things since Arizona, and here we are again...year after year back in the playoffs, back in the SB. So thanks for repeating the obvious, thanks for clearing it up to those of us who have been not watching the steelers the past 5 years and letting us know that the weakness of our defense is against a spread offense. Why not use your media prowess to break down the other 31 teams and post on their message boards something 99% of them already know and see what kind of response you get.

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Funny enough I called out all your BS and you say are you HI.

I say I don't like the selection and I'm and idiot and your perfect?

Are you high? You stupid. Go point out the obvious. Your not a fan. I just summed your entire thought process up much more quickly than you could.

Later fool, I won't express my disappointment for the draft choices because obviously you don't agree which makes me high or an idiot? Later dumbass.

Llama

finesward
04-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Funny enough I called out all your BS and you say are you HI.

I say I don't like the selection and I'm and idiot and your perfect?

Are you high? You stupid. Go point out the obvious. Your not a fan. I just summed your entire thought process up much more quickly than you could.

Later fool, I won't express my disappointment for the draft choices because obviously you don't agree which makes me high or an idiot? Later dumbass.

Llama

Called out all my BS? Where in that incomprehensible drivel did you call anything out except confirming that you "just picked the first quote from many media ( :chuckle: ) football analysts ( :chuckle: ) as well as many other people on here"

I asked if you are high because coming from someone who isn't high, and is trying to find meaning in the broken sentences, misspelled and segmented words, and "unique vision and advanced vision" it's very hard to take you or anything you say seriously.

You can express your disappointment for the draft choices, but at least be an individual and use your god given "unique and advanced vision" to tell us who you wanted to be drafted and give some insight as to why instead of just hopping along what peter king, or what some other gloom and doomer moron on here is saying. Your logic (see how I used your?) is flawed and you can't even concede that maybe, JUST MAYBE CB is not as important in this defense as say a DE who can stop the run, take up blockers, and free the LB's to PRESSURE the QB enabling us to get by with the bend but don't break "softee" coverage that dick tends to use. I know it can be frustrating to watch, but more often than not it has worked for us. 3 SB trips in 6 years is all the proof you need that it works. So why now, after a tough loss, should we abandon everything we've done before that worked so well for so long and go out and draft based on need. Why panic? Why ? Give me some solid reasons, not what you heard on sportscenter or rotoworld or espn....I'm giving you a chance to prove your salt. Go right on ahead and wow everyone.

Wallace108
04-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Anyway, sorry for saying anything negative about the Steelers because obviously they are perfect and your not a fan otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with criticizing the team. I assure you I disagree with many of their decisions <cough bruce arians cough>. But you've taken criticism to a whole new level. You threw in the towel after the Heyward pick. You didn't even wait to see who we picked in rounds 2 and 3 before you were declaring the draft a complete disaster. Just take a deep breath.

fuzzy159
04-30-2011, 12:30 AM

Peter King:

You do realize that pass rushing helps with pass coverage?

Heyward can eat up blocks allowing Woodley and company to get more pressure on the QB forcing him to get rid of the ball faster. The longer the corners have to stay with a WR the higher the chance of that WR getting open. The Steelers do need a corner because of the lack of skill we have at the position but they addressed it by getting Brown.

No cornerback available at 31 would benefit the team more than Heyward can. Heyward is a very good player and will fit perfectly with the Steelers.

I love all three of our picks so far.

BritishSteel
04-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Picking at 31, and without a stack of extra picks to bargain with, you'll never get every single player you want in the draft anyway - We picked up immediate help on a D-Line plagued by injuries over the past few seasons with a DE that will help bring pressure, we picked up cover for a position on the O-line we're going to have problems with in a years time (Adams will retire I think leaving us short of effective cover for Colon), and we picked up a CB that a lot of scouting reports projected as a solid 2nd rounder at the bottom of the third.

Good job so far in my view - we don't yet know what form free agency will take, so I'm not gonna throw this draft out because we didn't give up a second and a fourth to pick up Prince Amukamara.

SouthTexasSteel
04-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Picking at 31, and without a stack of extra picks to bargain with, you'll never get every single player you want in the draft anyway.

We have a freakin' BINGO!!!! You have 1 of 2 choices.... you can root for a loser like the Detroit Lions, and have a great time with your friends on draft day every year mulling over all the great picks you get in the top 10, and still suck. Or you can be part of the Steeler Nation and have to wait a few hours every draft day for your pick between 18 - 30. And with those "non lottery" picks you have to trust that the talent evaluation and the ability of the coaching staff will give us a winner on the field every year.

I happen to think that the front office has done a fantastic job with this draft considering where we pick and the holes we have to fill. Throw in the fact that we have some 2nd and 3rd year players ready to step up and start making a difference, it's NOT the gloom and doom some are feeling/projecting.. All the armchair Mel Kiper Jr's aside... pfffffttt...... I've got NO complaints about this draft so far. I might suggest that the bitchers and moaners do some research on the draft prospects and how they FIT WITH THE STEELERS.

Still wouldn't mind seeing us get one more CB and interior offensive lineman. Oh, and on a personal note, I would love to see the Steelers take a chance on Mark Herzlich in the 6th, if he is still available. Most players below the 5th are camp red meat anyway and this guy at one time was a late first, early second round pick.

BritishSteel
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Still wouldn't mind seeing us get one more CB and interior offensive lineman. Oh, and on a personal note, I would love to see the Steelers take a chance on Mark Herzlich in the 6th, if he is still available. Most players below the 5th are camp red meat anyway and this guy at one time was a late first, early second round pick.

Once you get to the the camp-bait section of the draft, that's the time to start looking at the player projects - Herzlich has all kinds of upside if he's passed medically fit - a steeler attitude and he tore the place up as a Senior and played a bit at fullback if I recall correctly, so obviously Arians will love that. At 6 or 7, and with the doctor's OK, he's a pretty decent shout. I'd also take a hard look at Alex Henery in the 5th or 6th - Sweez did OK last year but I'm not sure he's the long-term answer, and Henery can punt pretty effectively, important given that Sepulveda is looking increasingly injury-prone.

cloppbeast
04-30-2011, 01:09 PM

I personally don't care whether you say bad things about the Steelers. I openly criticize Ben because I think he's overrated by most Steelers fans. Your bs complaints don't make sense though.

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Amazing.

MY BS complaint is that our DB's are shit and they are the most pressing need? Seriously, I don't make sense? 90% of the media and football analyst say we are razor-thin at CB and I'm crazy? Okay...

Our downfall for the last TWO years has been accurate QB's that spread us out. Remember the year we didn't make the playoffs? Sure we were off but our pass Defense got bombed. Last year, we got lucky and didn't face a good passing team until the SB then "Bam!" GB followed Belisucks plan to a capital T. Spread us out and hit the slot for 5-10 yards a pop.

As for our picks- find my post where I said Heyward or Gilbert suck? Nope, wrong ****ing again.
I said for a team that has nothing at CB, we really didn't address it well.

I'm a little suspect that the 11th... THE 11th DE is going to be the best DE in the first round and that nobody else noticed he was THAT GOOD. But, you have to go with our LB/DE scouts because they are the best. After what Kugs did with the line, I'd argue Gilbert will probably start because he actually worked miracles last year and coached up some average OL's to actually compete.

Now, onto the DB's:

MINUSES
0. Taylor, Madison, Mundy, and Gay are all UFA's. I don't people even realize that.
1. You know since Tomlin has taken over we HAVE NOT developed one CB?
2. The current DB's that won the Superbowl were all from Cowher
3. Our old backfield coach never did anything close to what Kugs did last year. Come on man, you remember every play Gay and Mundy were in, it was a ****ing slaughter. The only thing that saved us were a lot of bad QB throws. Oh and Ben bailing us out with that insane Hail Mary.
4. As I said in another post, Curtis Brown was basically the Texas McFadden. I bet 10s of thousand on College Football and I know the Top 20 teams inside and out. Texas gave up several 300-400 yard rushing games, several 300-400 passing games. Look up what Oklahoma St. did to the guy.
5. Past the 2nd Round *almost* all of these guys are projects except punters and kickers : 0
6. After the above facts, is it that hard to make sense that we still have a big hole in our Defensive Backfield
7. It's not hard to imagine Troy P. getting hurt for a few games NOW look at our DB's without him.

PLUSES
1. Tomlin and Lake actually coach any of the DB's to play, we'll see. Hey, Kugs did it in a year...Maybe..
2. Maybe, we had a plan to grab some DB's through Free Agency. Granted, the Steelers don't but they have made an exception when good players are available and we have a need.

Llama

theplatypus
04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
You seem to be forgetting that losing that SB had as much to do (if not more) with what we did or didn't do on offense as opposed to what GB did. We were 100% in that game with momentum until the fumble.

finesward
04-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Amazing.

MY BS complaint is that our DB's are shit and they are the most pressing need? Seriously, I don't make sense? 90% of the media and football analyst say we are razor-thin at CB and I'm crazy? Okay...

Our downfall for the last TWO years has been accurate QB's that spread us out. Remember the year we didn't make the playoffs? Sure we were off but our pass Defense got bombed. Last year, we got lucky and didn't face a good passing team until the SB then "Bam!" GB followed Belisucks plan to a capital T. Spread us out and hit the slot for 5-10 yards a pop.

As for our picks- find my post where I said Heyward or Gilbert suck? Nope, wrong ****ing again.
I said for a team that has nothing at CB, we really didn't address it well.

I'm a little suspect that the 11th... THE 11th DE is going to be the best DE in the first round and that nobody else noticed he was THAT GOOD. But, you have to go with our LB/DE scouts because they are the best. After what Kugs did with the line, I'd argue Gilbert will probably start because he actually worked miracles last year and coached up some average OL's to actually compete.

Now, onto the DB's:

MINUSES
0. Taylor, Madison, Mundy, and Gay are all UFA's. I don't people even realize that.
1. You know since Tomlin has taken over we HAVE NOT developed one CB?
2. The current DB's that won the Superbowl were all from Cowher
3. Our old backfield coach never did anything close to what Kugs did last year. Come on man, you remember every play Gay and Mundy were in, it was a ****ing slaughter. The only thing that saved us were a lot of bad QB throws. Oh and Ben bailing us out with that insane Hail Mary.
4. As I said in another post, Curtis Brown was basically the Texas McFadden. I bet 10s of thousand on College Football and I know the Top 20 teams inside and out. Texas gave up several 300-400 yard rushing games, several 300-400 passing games. Look up what Oklahoma St. did to the guy.
5. Past the 2nd Round *almost* all of these guys are projects except punters and kickers : 0
6. After the above facts, is it that hard to make sense that we still have a big hole in our Defensive Backfield
7. It's not hard to imagine Troy P. getting hurt for a few games NOW look at our DB's without him.

PLUSES
1. Tomlin and Lake actually coach any of the DB's to play, we'll see. Hey, Kugs did it in a year...Maybe..
2. Maybe, we had a plan to grab some DB's through Free Agency. Granted, the Steelers don't but they have made an exception when good players are available and we have a need.

Llama

All your doing is repeating what the OBVIOUS weakness is and what everyone has been talking about since the beginning of last season about our DB's becoming FAs. You've offered absolutely nothing in analysis as to what we could do to address the situation besides tanking our draft and trading up to gamble on a CB because we could be thin at the position this season if none of our CB's resign or injuries, etc.. That's what makes no sense, because that's not how the Steelers operate, they didn't panic and start reaching for lineman when they lost faneca, they just plugged in players, kept the expectations high and the world hasn't ended has it?
CB and OL are similar in our systems in that if the rest of the players around them do their jobs it becomes less important for them to have elite starting skills. A big part of the DB's getting abused last year was the pressure not getting to the QB late in the season. No team is going to have 3-4 CB's that can shadow their receiver if the LB's and DL is not doing their job and pressuring the QB.

And betting tens of thousands means jack shit when it comes to qualifications for your draft analysis. It just means that you have loads of money to blow gambling :coffee:

BritishSteel
04-30-2011, 02:21 PM
The Steelers 5th pick in the 2011 draft is Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

PhantomJB93
04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't be a Steelers draft without an OLB.

He had a 3rd or 4th round grade so Im not surprised we picked him. But with Jerrell Powe still on the board I would have preferred we went NT here and addressed OLB in the 6th or 7th if we had to.

Two picks left, who do you want? I'm hoping for Mark Herzlich, Jerrell Powe, Da'Rel Scott, or Henry Hynoski

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 02:33 PM
I bet we grab that punter / kicker from Nebraska.

theplatypus
04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I bet we grab that punter / kicker from Nebraska.He was drafted 2 hours ago by the Eagles.

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
In the 4th ROUND? Wow... I didn't think anybody except Oakland did shit like that. I thought he was good but not 4th round...

Llama

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Man, I hate the Patriots but they really drafted some good players.

Vereen is really underated.
Mallet will develop well for them.
Canon obviously had some issues sliding so much but good for a 5th pick.

StainlessStill
04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Could potentially go another OG, RB or maybe even T.E in round 6 or 7. Behind Heath, we practically don't got ANYBODY. Spaeth worked out in some key situations, but you know we love to come out in multiple T.E sets and he is absolutely ATROCIOUS as a run blocker.

cloppbeast
04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, great strategy because we lost and they kept scoring. Remember, he didn't stop Warner either. We one because of Big Ben not the pass D. And the same spread is what Belisuck has pioneered to beat us.

If you're going up against Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady, aka HOF quarterbacks and expected to hold them to 180 yards passing and 14 points, you're crazy. And btw, we did get a pick 6 against Warner and a fumble; AND, we won. Seems to me like the strategy worked pretty well against the Cardinals.

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 04:56 PM
If you're going up against Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady, aka HOF quarterbacks and expected to hold them to 180 yards passing and 14 points, you're crazy. And btw, we did get a pick 6 against Warner and a fumble; AND, we won. Seems to me like the strategy worked pretty well against the Cardinals.

Totally agree. You will not hold them to 180 yards but you also can't let them pass the ball at will and put the game away by the half. We won the Arizona SB because Big Ben and Harrison pulled a rabbit out of their asses (that kind of magic isn't going to happen every game.) Our Defense couldn't stop a nose bleed in the second half.

Basically, to win another Super Bowl we are going to have to beat Brady and/or Rodgers-type. I was at that game last year on Nov 14 vs the Pats, I've been to another ( I just want the Steelers to beat them so bad ) and every time the Pats have just blown us out. It was exactly the same thing in the Super Bowl.

-Pass rush didn't matter because they got rid of the ball very quickly
-The 4 linebackers couldn't counter the very fast / quick slot receivers
-The receivers always had 4-7 yards on the DB's

No doubt we are a good team but we'll need a better Game Plan and Players to beat them.

Llama

BTW, watch what the Jets did to Brady in the Playoffs. Ever seen a 2-1-8 or a 2-2-7. It was pretty masterful and I wish we'd try some things to counter the spread.

finesward
04-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Totally agree. You will not hold them to 180 yards but you also can't let them pass the ball at will and put the game away by the half. We won the Arizona SB because Big Ben and Harrison pulled a rabbit out of their asses (that kind of magic isn't going to happen every game.) Our Defense couldn't stop a nose bleed in the second half.

Basically, to win another Super Bowl we are going to have to beat Brady and/or Rodgers-type. I was at that game last year on Nov 14 vs the Pats, I've been to another ( I just want the Steelers to beat them so bad ) and every time the Pats have just blown us out. It was exactly the same thing in the Super Bowl.

-Pass rush didn't matter because they got rid of the ball very quickly
-The 4 linebackers couldn't counter the very fast / quick slot receivers
-The receivers always had 4-7 yards on the DB's

No doubt we are a good team but we'll need a better Game Plan and Players to beat them.

Llama

BTW, watch what the Jets did to Brady in the Playoffs. Ever seen a 2-1-8 or a 2-2-7. It was pretty masterful and I wish we'd try some things to counter the spread.

Don't forget GB suffered injuries to their WR's during the SB so it's not how good or fast they are, it's the blocking scheme and play calling that allowed those passes (not to mention having an extremely accurate short/mid range passing QB like rodgers) With Polamalu hampered and McFadden out we were doomed to give up those quick passes in the SB. We couldn't risk putting undersized nickel DB in bump and run coverage against the more physical and/or shifty WR's of GB. So we played them in more of a zone coverage and rodgers was able to pick that apart. It's really not about our scheme it was more about depth and we had no solid depth behind McFadden...and unfortunately draft be damned we will continue to have that as a weakness until A.) a CB we currently have or just drafted becomes a capable starter B.) We pursue DB's in FA (which would be tough because of learning the defense) Either way we are still a couple years away from having quality depth. So it's no big surprise it will continue to be an issue. But be sure there is no quick fix, there is no way to address it in the draft so that it will be fixed for the upcoming season. With all that said, lets not forget that like others have posted that game was not lost because of the DB's. The offense was putrid for much of the game with costly penalties, turnovers for TD's, a fumble at a key moment, dropped passes, bad throws, etc....

I think they did a decent job in this years draft but will reserve judgment as should everyone until 2 or more years later when these players pan out. Draft grades are the biggest joke around. Not one of these players have done ANYTHING in the NFL.