PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Picks

Drizztbob
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
With Franklin and Ijalana gone now, the Steelers have to be thinking CB like Harris or Burton if they are still there...we desperately need CB help!!

Drizztbob
04-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Dammit, there goes Harris...

Farrior_roirraW
04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Dammit, there goes Harris...

I can't believe this... :doh:

(Actually I can.)

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:29 PM
You should...

We draft a DE (the 11th or 12 one in the first round that is supposedly a gem that won't touch the field in the first two years or so)

2-3 picks later the scrubs that all these board clowns said were a reach get picked and every past CB past Harris is a huge reach (or roll of the dice)

Pass rush better get to the QB in 2.5 seconds or so...

Maybe we are planning to spend some money in FA on CB's. It seems that way.

LLama

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I think it's going to be OT Cannon, unless someone else picks him first.

Llama

Drizztbob
04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
If they wanted an OL, should have taken Cannon...

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
cannon was my guess too, i guess we got the first name right at least lol.

austinfrench76
04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Don't know anything about this kid?? Is he worth a 2nd round pick?

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Opps meant to say OT Gilbert or OG Cannon. Another decent pick, hopefully he can help us immediately.

Llama

I know it seems completely counter-intuitive to how the Steelers operate but they might have a few guys they like in FA. It's the only thing I can think of...

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 08:39 PM

more of a pass blocker type. maybe they're thinking of guys that can protect ben instead of the traditional road grader types

BigRick
04-29-2011, 08:41 PM

After seeing several Fla games this year, I am really disappointed in this pick. :banging:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah, he's really good. I'm pretty sure he played a year or two with Pouncey. He's very athletic and smart. He plays all the line positions. I'm pretty sure he'll probably start.

GB got Randall Cobb... another quick / speed slot to work over the 3/4 D's slot's

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:01 PM
You should...

We draft a DE (the 11th or 12 one in the first round that is supposedly a gem that won't touch the field in the first two years or so)

2-3 picks later the scrubs that all these board clowns said were a reach get picked and every past CB past Harris is a huge reach (or roll of the dice)

Pass rush better get to the QB in 2.5 seconds or so...

Maybe we are planning to spend some money in FA on CB's. It seems that way.

LLama

It's not that they were reaches, its that they weren't as good of players as Heywerd. Colbert said that there were 20 "special" players in this draft and Heywerd was one of them. Neither Dowling, nor Williams were. We got a dominant DE, instead of a pretty good CB. I'm comfortable with that. "Pretty good" isn't what we need in the secondary. We already have some "pretty good" players.

wyn50
04-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Not really keeping up the the draft, so is there anymore "pretty good" CB's left for the last rounds?

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:03 PM
After seeing several Fla games this year, I am really disappointed in this pick. :banging:

Agreed. I though Guard was a more important position, and I don't think this guy has much upside. It seems like Colbert doesn't do well at selecting linemen in the 2-3. Of course, I'm being presumptuous, but I'm skeptical. I know I should trust the Steelers, but......

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Not really keeping up the the draft, so is there anymore "pretty good" CB's left for the last rounds?

There's a guy from Ohio State I wouldn't mind getting.

Fire Arians
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM
interesting the pats are picking some power backs. they trying to drift more toward a running game?

maybe they saw what mendenhall did to the jets, who seem to give brady problems

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Sorry don't agree cloppbeast.

If you think McFadden, Gay, C. Butler, or the other two non-descript players are "pretty good" then okay...

Llama

cloppbeast
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Sorry don't agree cloppbeast.

If you think McFadden, Gay, C. Butler, or the other two non-descript players are "pretty good" then okay...

Llama

They started for the Super Bowl runners up. They aren't as terrible as you think they are. They would be an upgrade for at least 1/3 of the NFL teams. Playing along side probably a top-5 cover corner doesn't really help, either. Ike Tayler makes McFadden look bad, just because he's so good.

TRH
04-29-2011, 10:16 PM
man......not just the "elite" QB's are going to have a field day with us next year......the "middle of the pack" QB's are going to be putting it up in the air 45+ times a game too. NO db help yet. Ouch.

Merchant
04-29-2011, 10:19 PM
There. They picked Curtis Brown. NOW can everyone stfu?

BigRick
04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
At last a DB. I think this kid has a lot of talent. May take a year or two to develop. Hopefully faster and contribute this year. :tt03::tt03:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Not really because I'll bet money Curtis Brown doesn't even play a snap for us this year. Texas was 5-7 for a reason.

Llama

Merchant
04-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Not really because I'll bet money Curtis Brown doesn't even play a snap for us this year. Texas was 5-7 for a reason.

Llama

What an idiotic statement. So according to that logic, Joe Thomas is a bad LT because the Browns went 5-11? Curtis Brown is an excellent pick.

BigRick
04-29-2011, 10:42 PM
What an idiotic statement. So according to that logic, Joe Thomas is a bad LT because the Browns went 5-11? Curtis Brown is an excellent pick.

I have to agree. His user name and his logic suggests he spends to much time behind the barn with the animals or else he was lost in the Andes for a long time. :rofl::rofl:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 10:43 PM
Sure, he's great. He'll start training camp and be All-Pro.

Llama

SH-Rock
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Sure, he's great. He'll start training camp and be All-Pro.

Llama

Tell me oh wise one, which CB other than PP is a for sure All-Pro?

Wallace108
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
There. They picked Curtis Brown. NOW can everyone stfu?

:rofl:

I have a feeling that if we had taken a CB with our first pick, llama would have been whining because Heyward was there and we didn't take him. :popcorn:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
04-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Apparently Brown can also play special teams very well. Sounds good. The great thing is that the Steelers never prioritize positions. They have a set of positions (this year it is OL, DL, and DB) which they know they need. When they get to pick, they select the best available amongst those positions. This is why the Steelers are so good on draft day, and ultimately on game day.

Drizztbob
04-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I love the Curtis Brown pick bro.

BigRick
04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
:rofl:

I have a feeling that if we had taken a CB with our first pick, llama would have been whining because Heyward was there and we didn't take him. :popcorn:

Hey, Wallace 108. How you doin' man? I have to agree with you. some people just like to bitch. I'm not always happy with their choices, but it's their money and they a lot more info on these player than I do. I can only go by what I sometimes see in person and on tv. All I can say is they must know something 3 Super Bowl apperances and 2 titles in 5 years. :tt03::tt03:

sexyllama
04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
No offense but I follow all the top 20 College teams as I bet tens of thousands on them. Won big money on Texas vs USC a few years back and they are an easy bet with a spread offense and great D.

Curtis Brown is okay and considered pretty soft.

3-5 teams ran like 300-400 yards on them in a game. He's not a very great tackler (although losing the safeties hurt a lot)

Texas blitzes a lot leaving single coverage and he was burned for a lot. Texas also gave up a couple 300 or 400 yard passing games. He was the Texas "mcfadden"

Also, he's has horrible hands 1 interception per year. He was also blamed for losing the Rice game and one other because he fumbled Punt Returns and gave the other team an easy touchdown.

He was later pulled off Special Teams because of all the fumbling catches.

Anyway, look it up on the Internet. I'm sure one of the games will be 280 yards and someone will say I'm full of shit but whatever...

Llama

Yes, I watch a lot of college football and watching Texas drop a bomb was sad.

finesward
04-30-2011, 12:07 AM
No offense but I follow all the top 20 College teams as I bet tens of thousands on them. Won big money on Texas vs USC a few years back and they are an easy bet with a spread offense and great D.

3-5 teams ran like 300-400 yards on them in a game. He's not a very great tackler (although losing the safeties hurt a lot)

Texas blitzes a lot leaving single coverage and he was burned for a lot. Texas also gave up a couple 300 or 400 yard passing games. He was the Texas "mcfadden"

Also, he's has horrible hands 1 interception per year. He was also blamed for losing the Rice game and one other because he fumbled Punt Returns and gave the other team an easy touchdown.

Anyway, look it up on the Internet. I'm sure one of the games will be 280 yards and someone will say I'm full of shit but whatever...

Llama

You sound more and more like a total toolbag with each post

Please tell us how much time you spend working out and what kind of SUV you drive!

:popcorn:

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
04-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Horrible Hands?? did you not see his combine he did amazing catches and players make mistakes. Like you making a mistakes saying he has horrible hands :tt02:

fuzzy159
04-30-2011, 12:42 AM

Llama

Curtis needs to add strength.

He does not have horrible hands lol. A lot of draft analysts say he has some of the best hands out of all of the corners in the draft but that isn't really saying much.

Just because your INT total is low doesn't really mean you can't catch either. He wasn't thrown at that often.

Everyone gets burned now and then too, even Revis and Nnamdi.

You can always get stronger but covering is a unique skill that a lot of corners don't and never will possess. Brown is great in man coverage.

Wallace108
04-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Hey, Wallace 108. How you doin' man? I have to agree with you. some people just like to bitch. I'm not always happy with their choices, but it's their money and they a lot more info on these player than I do. I can only go by what I sometimes see in person and on tv. All I can say is they must know something 3 Super Bowl apperances and 2 titles in 5 years. :tt03::tt03:
What's up Rick? :drink:

I agree. The Steelers have a damn good track record in the draft. I think I'll trust them.

Llama

Strengths:
• Ideal height and adequate bulk along w/ long arms
• Terrific speed and has a burst to close and recover
• Athletic with great quickness, agility and balance
• Displays fluid hips and nimble feet to transition
• Soft hands with great ball skills and body control
• Has excellent instincts, awareness and anticipation
• Is tough, physical, aggressive and very confident
• Will come up and get solid jam at line of scrimmage
• Capable of excelling in either man or zone coverage
• A willing tackler who will support against the run
• Will be able to contribute readily on special teams
• Durable w/ lots of experience versus top competition

Weaknesses:
• Frame is kind of slight with a thin lower body (can work on that)
• Didn’t make a lot of impact plays in coverage (we don't need him to make impact plays ... just cover the receiver)
• Isn’t a powerful hitter or much of a intimidator (we have plenty of those ... just cover the receiver)
• Not real strong and some trouble disengaging (this can be fixed)
• Struggled at times with cleanly fielding punts (we don't need him to field punts)

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Yes, Wallace- he's soft. Exactly what I said. He basically was opposite side of Aaron Williams much like being the opposite side of Ike Taylor. He was picked on consistently, I bet on OK STATE and was highly rewarded.

I'll completely 100% give you that the Steelers can draft well in all the other positions but there CB scouts blow. I posted many times that Heyward and Gilbert will be good (although I'm suspect of the 11th DE... THE 11 DE being the uncovered GEM that 29 other teams missed but the DE's / LB's we draft are good)

Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has contributed?
Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has made any significant play?
Maybe, Carnel Lake will pull a Kugs and get any of the CB's moving forward but I'm pretty doubtful given the last 3 years of reverse in terms of developing CB's
I said a joke a while ago, it seems that other teams develop CB's quickly and our have to go through some kind of JEDI KNIGHT apprenticeship.

Llama
To summarize, I don't think we'd did enough to stop an Elite passing team. I'm not worried about the Brownies or Ravens.

To finesward, yeah, I'm a toolbag because I present facts about players and I don't like our Pass Defense. BTW, I drive a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe so go **** off little man.

Wallace108
04-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes, Wallace- he's soft. Exactly what I said. He basically was opposite side of Aaron Williams much like being the opposite side of Ike Taylor. He was picked on consistently, I bet on OK STATE and was highly rewarded.

I'll completely 100% give you that the Steelers can draft well in all the other positions but there CB scouts blow. I posted many times that Heyward and Gilbert will be good (although I'm suspect of the 11th DE... THE 11 DE being the uncovered GEM that 29 other teams missed but the DE's / LB's we draft are good)

Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has contributed?
Name one CB that Tomlin has drafted that has made any significant play?
Maybe, Carnel Lake will pull a Kugs and get any of the CB's moving forward but I'm pretty doubtful given the last 3 years of reverse in terms of developing CB's
I said a joke a while ago, it seems that other teams develop CB's quickly and our have to go through some kind of JEDI KNIGHT apprenticeship.

Llama
To summarize, I don't think we'd did enough to stop an Elite passing team. I'm not worried about the Brownies or Ravens.

To finesward, yeah, I'm a toolbag because I present facts about players and I don't like our Pass Defense. BTW, I drive a 2008 BMW M3 Coupe so go **** off little man.

I'll agree with you that the secondary, much like the O-line before Pouncey, has been ignored for far too long. But that's not an excuse to reach for a CB the quality of which they can get with a later pick.

Here's Carnell Lake's opinion on the Brown pick:

Surprisingly, new Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake said Brown was the more polished of the three Texas cornerback prospects in this draft.

"Probably the best cover corner coming out" of Texas, Lake said. "Aaron Williams was the first [Texas] corner taken. Aaron's bigger, but we thought he was more of a safety.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11120/1143173-66.stm#ixzz1L2GMO05Y

We don't need a big playmaker at corner. We already have a lot of impact guys on the defense. We need a corner who can cover. And they obviously thought Brown was just as good as the guys they could have selected with their first-round pick.

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 03:20 PM
BTW- I'm summarizing this thread for those of you who simply post non-sense that doesn't have anything to do what I've been posting about.

*I* (being me; if you don't like it then post some facts) don't think we did enough in the draft to stop the Elite passing teams from spreading us out, throwing quickly, and picking on our "less-than-average" 2nd, 3rd, and 4th corner. That was my only argument that I presented with facts.

There are only a few teams like that but we'll have to beat them to play/win the Super Bowl.

I didn't rape your sister or kill your dog.

Llama

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll agree with you that the secondary, much like the O-line before Pouncey, has been ignored for far too long. But that's not an excuse to reach for a CB the quality of which they can get with a later pick.

Here's Carnell Lake's opinion on the Brown pick:
We don't need a big playmaker at corner. We already have a lot of impact guys on the defense. We need a corner who can cover. And they obviously thought Brown was just as good as the guys they could have selected with their first-round pick.

1. I agree with where you are going but I don't think RasDowling would have been a reach at 31. (we could have moved up for a 4th and 1st swap to 26-27 to get Smith. I know the Steelers are avoiding character issues but with the locker room we have I think Smith would have been fine. Aaron Williams and Dowling went 34-35?

-maybe they don't think Aaron Smith will recover ... hmm...

2. I think with coaching he maybe an okay Slot but we'll see. I haven't seen to many 3-7th rounders become insane Cover men.. but we have new coaches.

My line of thinking is that we needed some guys who could cover yesterday. (The GB Superbowl would have been nice) and I don't see either of those guys coming in immediately and helping. Maybe Lake pulls a Kugs and they are lights out but after 2-3 years of watching our CB development I'm suspect.

Llama

finesward
04-30-2011, 03:39 PM
BTW- I'm summarizing this thread for those of you who simply post non-sense that doesn't have anything to do what I've been posting about.

*I* (being me; if you don't like it then post some facts) don't think we did enough in the draft to stop the Elite passing teams from spreading us out, throwing quickly, and picking on our "less-than-average" 2nd, 3rd, and 4th corner. That was my only argument that I presented with facts.

There are only a few teams like that but we'll have to beat them to play/win the Super Bowl.

I didn't rape your sister or kill your dog.

Llama

I don't think sitting at 31 there was any miracle player availble that would of been able to step in right away and solidify the CB position. Agree? Aaron Williams was not the answer. So we would of had to trade up to grab one of the top 2 CB's as the quality behind them dropped off considerably. That would of TANKED our draft and possibly next year's draft as well. So maybe we didn't do enough to stop the 4-5 elite QB's in the league, but we did solidify O-line with a quality guy and brought in another workhorse DE to address that need.

So lets see, you bet thousands of dollars on football games, drive a beamer, and repeat everything you hear on television to strangers on the internet to make yourself feel smart.

Yeah your a douche...

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Let's see you've attached on to me because obviously you've got daddy issues?

YOU were worried about what car I drive? Ding dumbass!

YOU questioned that I didn't know shit but betting on games and knowing the players is a big key to actually winning 80% of your bets. Ding dumbass!

I use facts and statistics about spread teams like NE, GB, and what Cincy got lucky doing two years ago. (but luckily the Bengals are the Bengals!) then I also pointed out that several analysts were saying similar things but that makes me an idiot for being well-informed as I watch, read, and listen. Go drink your Bud and shoot some critters, bro!

Yeah, your a probably a dumb, racist hick who married to a cousin. Have fun watching the draft in your trailer!

Love Llama

(PS I"m not a Llama so don't get excited because I'm a farm animal See ya Deliverance-man)

finesward
04-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Let's see you've attached on to me because obviously you've got daddy issues?

YOU were worried about what car I drive? Ding dumbass!

YOU questioned that I didn't know shit but betting on games and knowing the players is a big key to actually winning 80% of your bets. Ding dumbass!

I use facts and statistics about spread teams like NE, GB, and what Cincy got lucky doing two years ago. (but luckily the Bengals are the Bengals!) then I also pointed out that several analysts were saying similar things but that makes me an idiot for being well-informed as I watch, read, and listen. Go drink your Bud and shoot some critters, bro!

Yeah, your a probably a dumb, racist hick who married to a cousin. Have fun watching the draft in your trailer!

Love Llama

(PS I"m not a Llama so don't get excited because I'm a farm animal See ya Deliverance-man)

You wanted to know why I thought you were an idiot.

1. You make statements that anyone watching NFL network could make.
2. You can't comprehend defensive strategy enough to know that pressure is more important in DL's defense than being able to cover a WR like Revis.
3. You wager tens of thousands of dollars on sporting events, which means you must be ok with losing thousands of dollars occasionally, which means your daddy probably gave you everything you've ever had and you've never actually worked a day in your life.
4. You can tell a lot about a person by the car they drive. Someone who is caught up in appearances would typically drive a BMW.
5. You simply repeat what you see, hear, and listen to. That is different than actually providing insight, analysis, and comprehension which you have so clearly shown an ineptitude.

finesward
04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think sitting at 31 there was any miracle player availble that would of been able to step in right away and solidify the CB position. Agree? Aaron Williams was not the answer. So we would of had to trade up to grab one of the top 2 CB's as the quality behind them dropped off considerably. That would of TANKED our draft and possibly next year's draft as well. So maybe we didn't do enough to stop the 4-5 elite QB's in the league, but we did solidify O-line with a quality guy and brought in another workhorse DE to address that need.

So lets see, you bet thousands of dollars on football games, drive a beamer, and repeat everything you hear on television to strangers on the internet to make yourself feel smart.

Yeah your a douche...

Hey llama, you still never answered this part did you??? Nice deflecting though, bravo :wink02: