View Full Version : Rest of Needs Addressed

mesaSteeler
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Rest of Needs Addressed
By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Apr 29, 2011
http://pit.scout.com/2/1068560.html

After drafting a defensive end on day one, the Steelers got around to the offensive line and secondary last night.

Pittsburgh – Steelers O-line coach Sean Kugler had a great source of information about the University of Florida offensive line for this year’s draft.

And after Maurkice Pouncey made another pitch to Kugler for his brother Mike, the Steelers’ Pro Bowl center mentioned Gators tackle Marcus Gilbert.

“Maurkice was a big advocate for Marcus,” Kugler said of the Steelers’ second-round draft pick. “He is going to tell you how it is and of course I’ll take his advice because I respect him as a player.”

Gilbert is a massive 6-6 1/8, 330-pound offensive tackle who started the last two seasons at both tackle positions. Kugler also said that “he has pulling skills and we can envision him at the guard spot as well.

Right now I couldn’t tell you where he’s going to line up. We are trying to get the best five and the best two game-day guys behind it. He’ll be in the right spot when it comes time to go.”

The son of a Secret Service agent who guarded Presidents Obama and Clinton, Gilbert attended St. Thomas Aquinas High in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., before attending the University of Florida, where he played in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman.

Gilbert started at both guard spots (three starts total) as a sophomore, and as a junior became the Gators’ starting right tackle. He moved over to left tackle last season.

At the combine, Gilbert ran a 5.46 40 with times of 4.69 in the short shuttle and 7.66 in the 3-cone drill. He had a 29-inch vertical jump and bench-pressed 225 pounds 30 times.

In the third round, the Steelers drafted Texas cornerback Curtis Brown, a 5-11.5, 185-pounder with 4.54 speed in the 40.

“Curtis Brown is a quick cornerback from Texas that probably was one of their best cover corners coming out,” said the Steelers’ new DBs coach Carnell Lake. “Aaron (Williams), his teammate, is bigger. We thought more of him as a safety and we think Curtis is a cover corner who can play the nickel as well as play at the outside position.”

Brown, a self-admitted “country dude” from Gilmer, Texas, played right away at the University of Texas and ended his career by playing in all 52 games. He had only two interceptions but Lake said, “He’s got good hands. I think teams picked on his teammates more than himself. When you look at it, they just didn’t throw a lot his way, and I thought that was because his coverage skills were better.”

Lake expects Brown to contribute as a nickel back early in his pro career. Texas’ Most Valuable Special Teams Player as a junior, Brown will also contribute as a gunner and jammer.

“He won’t shy away from contact,” Lake said. “He’s scrappy. He throws his body around and that will serve him well.”

In addition to his 4.54 40 time at the combine, Brown ran the short shuttle in 4.0, the 3-cone in an outstanding 6.59, had a 39-inch vertical jump and a 10-8 broad jump, and benched 225 pounds 10 times.

(Our new CB had only two, that's right, TWO interceptions in his college career! Oh be still my beating heart, I'm so excited over this pick. Carnall Lake saying that "I think teams picked on his teammates more than himself." is trying to put lipstick on a "slow" pig of a CB. - mesa)

theplatypus
04-30-2011, 01:15 PM
(Our new CB had only two, that's right, TWO interceptions in his college career! Oh be still my beating heart, I'm so excited over this pick. Carnall Lake saying that "I think teams picked on his teammates more than himself." is trying to put lipstick on a "slow" pig of a CB. - mesa)

You certainly are a the glass is half empty type.

Sixburgher
04-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe the Steelers should consider forfeiting the season so they can get a top 5 pick in 2012 and get a decent corner. /sarcasm

mesaSteeler
04-30-2011, 01:22 PM
You certainly are a the glass is half empty type.

He may be fine as a nickle back but as a starting corner I don't think so. He doesn't have the speed and you can't coach speed.

We are in rebuilding or if you prefer, reloading mode now. It was inevitable that we would have to do it and the draft picks prove it.

PhantomJB93
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
I like the Curtis Brown pick, he had good value as a 3rd rounder. He has good cover skills and could be a serviceable nickel or dime back for us in the near future despite his speed. In comparison to Aaron Williams, Williams was a better athlete with more potential while Brown was a better pure cornerback.

I would still like to see us get somebody decent in free agency though, even if we keep Ike. It doesn't have to be a Nnamdi but just somebody decent.

SH-Rock
04-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I think Brandon Burton would be a good choice. Good size and speed.

BritishSteel
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Steelers 4th round pick is Cortez Allen

SH-Rock
04-30-2011, 01:34 PM
From NFL.com
Strengths:
Allen possesses outstanding size coupled with good speed for a corner prospect. Comfortable in press-man coverage. Uses his frame and length well to re-route receivers at the line. Gets his hands on a lot of balls. Can come down with the tough INT. Holds up well in jump-ball battles.

Weaknesses:
Awareness is lacking. Doesn’t do the little things in coverage to maximize natural gifts. Late reacting from off-man coverage. Angular, high-cut player who displays some hip-stiffness. Struggles to stick with quicker, savvy route-runners. Must improve in run support. Needs to become more consistent with angles and positioning.

mesaSteeler
04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/teams?team=pit&year=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2fteams%3fteam%3dpit%26year%3d2011

31(95) Curtis Brown CB Texas
What he brings: He is fluid enough to hold up in underneath coverage and fast enough to run with most receivers when his technique is sound. He struggles to recover when out of position, though, and has only average instincts. He is a good value, though, because he can return punts and is an excellent gunner on punt coverage.

How he fits: CB is certainly a need for the Steelers. Bryant McFadden played well in 2010 but Ike Taylor is an aging veteran and free agent who is going to want a lot of money. The cover skills in this secondary probably look better than they really are because of the pass rush, and they are not great in sub packages. Brown could be an inside slot guy with pretty good ball skills, but like most of the Steelers' guys, he is not an elite turn-and-run corner.

(As I said, he is not an elite CB but may be fine in a nickel or dime package. We don't have anything resembling an elite CB on the team and we will pay a price for that. Prepare yourselves now for out D getting burned because of it. - mesa)

HAWK
04-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow...it's Cpt. Obvious!