PDA

View Full Version : Wexell's twittering he's hearing "good" things about resigning Taylor

mesaSteeler
04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
@jimwexell James C Wexell
http://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell/status/64122650347323392
.@jem77pmc I'm hearing good things today about the chances of re-signing Ike. That's all I've got for you. Sorry to leave it short.

(I wonder how much we will have to overpay old "hands of stone" Taylor to keep him. That will be quite a cap hit, assuming there is a cap, to keep an old and less than elite CB. Given the sad state of our secondary Taylor can demand top tier money even though he's not worth it. Taylor's agent must be licking his chops over how much he's going to hold up the Steelers for. Another nice job of planning by our FO. - mesa)

Atlanta Dan
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I know there is a lot of angst about not taking a CB in the first round, but it is not as if the Steelers passed on the equivalent of Darelle Reavis, Deion Sanders, and Mel Blount with the 31st pick the other night

Steelers would need to re-sign Taylor even if they had struck gold at CB the other night

Taylor is a good but not elite CB - good but not elite draws a lot of $$ these days on the NFL open market - to make budget for Taylor I would not be surprised to see no effort to bring back Colon and for Aaron Smith to be "requested" to take a haircut on the last year of his contract

In terms of big $$ contracts, the looming issue is whether to sign Timmons or Woodley to long term deals after 2011 - Steelers cannot afford both unless Harrison is gone after 2011

PhantomJB93
04-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I know there is a lot of angst about not taking a CB in the first round, but it is not as if the Steelers passed on the equivalent of Darelle Reavis, Deion Sanders, and Mel Blount with the 31st pick the other night

Steelers would need to re-sign Taylor even if they had struck gold at CB the other night

Taylor is a good but not elite CB - good but not elite draws a lot of $$ these days on the NFL open market - to make budget for Taylor I would not be surprised to see no effort to bring back Colon and for Aaron Smith to be "requested" to take a haircut on the last year of his contract

In terms of big $$ contracts, the looming issue is whether to sign Timmons or Woodley to long term deals after 2011 - Steelers cannot afford both unless Harrison is gone after 2011

I think the Woodley/Timmons situation depends on Harrison's 2011 season. Coming off back surgery, if he shows any signs of slowing down or nagging back injuries, I think that he could very well be gone, as much as we would all hate to see him go. Big picture, I'd rather have both Timmonsand Woodley and let Worilds try his hand than let one of those two guys go to have the aging Harrison for another couple seasons before he retires or loses a step.

The thought of seeing Harrison in another uniform scares me though.

Farrior_roirraW
04-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I think the Woodley/Timmons situation depends on Harrison's 2011 season. Coming off back surgery, if he shows any signs of slowing down or nagging back injuries, I think that he could very well be gone, as much as we would all hate to see him go. Big picture, I'd rather have both Timmonsand Woodley and let Worilds try his hand than let one of those two guys go to have the aging Harrison for another couple seasons before he retires or loses a step.

The thought of seeing Harrison in another uniform scares me though.

:iagree:

Tbh, I don't see how Harrison is a Steeler after the next two years (whether they play in 2011 or not)...

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Can any team actually sign anyone? Didn't the appeals court put a hold on the lower court ruling?

Signing Ike would be great but how can they even being talking?

Llama

Atlanta Dan
04-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Can any team actually sign anyone? Didn't the appeals court put a hold on the lower court ruling?

Signing Ike would be great but how can they even being talking?

Llama

They cannot sign anyone at this moment - if the emergency stay entered by the 8th Circuit is not extended free agency could start by the end of next week

But my guess is there will be a FA period prior to whenever the season starts - we all know agents and teams are talking now, just as there are talks prior to the official start date for free agency and someone signs a new deal within 6 hours of when the FA signing period opens for business in a normal year

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Hahah... I never thought about that but I guess it's completely legal to talk to an agent since they are not directly talking to the player.

Llama

Atlanta Dan
04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Ed. B. of the P-G apparently is talking to some of the same folks Wexell is

One thing that was confirmed to me over the weekend is that the Steelers are convinced they will re-sign Ike Taylor. I’ve said all along I thought Taylor would sign back and that he wanted to and they felt he would return. That conviction was solidified after talking to some people this weekend.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109676-ed-now-we-wait

Farrior_roirraW
04-30-2011, 07:30 PM
This sounds promising.

GMU Steeler
04-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Hope it gets done. Would hate to lose him.

fer522
04-30-2011, 08:01 PM
can they cut Gay and Mcfadden and go after a good and solid corner
and also sign Taylor