PDA

View Full Version : Steelers build for the future

Hayeksheroes
04-30-2011, 12:55 PM
The Steelers draft picks are clearly for a strong Steeler team over the next few years. Cam and Marcus will be nice additions and strengthen both the offensive and defensive lines.

I had hoped the Steelers would try for another Superbowl run. In order to do that, the Steelers needed to draft a CB who could start this year. They didn't do that. With the glaring deficiencies in the secondary, the Steelers are a wildcard team at best.

If the Steelers want to make a run at the SB, they need to fix the secondary. The Packers and Patriots already showed the league how to beat the Steelers. The best the Steelers can hope for is to sign Taylor and hope that Butler and Lewis improve their play.

SH-Rock
04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
I think they should draft Brandon Burton. He is a project, but he has height and speed to excel.

Sixburgher
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
With the glaring deficiencies in the secondary, the Steelers are a wildcard team at best.

Like this past season, when they were a 2 seed? The secondary has been suspect for a while now. It's not a new development. It becomes especially apparent when Troy is out of action for an extended period (see 2009) or is not 100% (see 2010 playoffs).

davidtrout
04-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Lol! So we can't make it back to the SB or even win the division because we didn't sell the farm to move up or reach for a CB that wasn't worth pick 31. No, we will just have to suffer watching last season's #1 overall defense get torched because they didn't go into panic mode after losing a game to the Packers.

Yes, I know, "the Steelers always struggle against elite QBs." That's my favorite quote. As if that wasn't a given. EVERY DEFENSE struggles against elite QBs! That's what makes them elite.

Our secondary needs work but it's not going to hinder a SB run. We all wish we had a pro bowler at every position, but that's a fantasy. We'll make the most out of what we have, like always, and that will keep us in the hunt for a SB. Can't ask for more than that, at least not realistically.

davidtrout
04-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Lol! So we can't make it back to the SB or even win the division because we didn't sell the farm to move up or reach for a CB that wasn't worth pick 31. No, we will just have to suffer watching last season's #1 overall defense get torched because they didn't go into panic mode after losing a game to the Packers.

Yes, I know, "the Steelers always struggle against elite QBs." That's my favorite quote. As if that wasn't a given. EVERY DEFENSE struggles against elite QBs! That's what makes them elite.

Our secondary needs work but it's not going to hinder a SB run. We all wish we had a pro bowler at every position, but that's a fantasy. We'll make the most out of what we have, like always, and that will keep us in the hunt for a SB. Can't ask for more than that, at least not realistically.

davidtrout
04-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Sorry about double post.

HAWK
04-30-2011, 02:48 PM
No harm......It needed to be said twice!

Farrior_roirraW
04-30-2011, 02:50 PM
If the Steelers want to make a run at the SB, they need to fix the secondary. The Packers and Patriots already showed the league how to beat the Steelers.

And every team has a Brady or a Rodgers?

theplatypus
04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
And every team has a Brady or a Rodgers?

You've been drinking too much Kool-Aid. WE"RE DOOMED,DOOMED!!!!

sexyllama
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM

No, I think he just stated a fact.

We have problems being spread out by the more elite passing teams (Elite not being better but Elite meaning they have a good slot receiver and a QB who can throw quickly and accurately)

Not doom or gloom just a fact.

Llama

Steelerfreak58
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
It has been a solid draft so far areas of concern have been addressed. Hopefully our scouts (which I have a ton of faith in) have gotten the best athletes to continue the tradition of finding solid players.

Farrior_roirraW
04-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Uh, what?

My point was that everyone brings up the fact the Pats and Pack have designed a blueprint for everyone to follow when not every team has the pieces they do (Brady and Rodgers). The Pats, with Brady, have carved the Steelers up for a while yet they've still won two superbowls in that time.

I would have liked them to draft a corner like Harris, Williams or Dowling (this has nothing to do with them picking Heyward) when Ike Taylor (although as of today it sound sliek he'll stay) I think/thought is most likely gone.

However, while CB is quite a need I'm far from the majority mentality on this board where most people perceive the sky to be falling because of the lack of CB picks or whatever. What happened in the SB against Rodgers concerns me but like I've said not every team has a Brady, Rodgers or if you want to add, a Brees. Hell, two of three are in the NFC. Sure Brady carves us up but everyone here is acting like Colt McCoy and Andy Dalton are gonna f.ucking carve us up the same way.

theplatypus
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
I can't believe you missed the sarcasm.

fuzzy159
04-30-2011, 04:46 PM
There were no Corners worth taking at 31...

Aaron Williams isn't that big of an upgrade over Curtis Brown when you think of coverage. Curtis Brown actually might be a better cover corner. Williams got drafted higher because he's stronger and has that big play ability. The Steelers already have some defensive players who suck at covering and can hit hard why would they want another.

Curtis Brown did not fall to the third because he was a bad corner I don't know why people think that. He is a good corner he just isn't a good tackler. He will give the Steelers as much help as an Aaron Williams or Brandon Harris would and we got him much later in the draft.

steeltheone
04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
We tend to make average QB's look really good also..

fer522
04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
My point was that everyone brings up the fact the Pats and Pack have designed a blueprint for everyone to follow when not every team has the pieces they do (Brady and Rodgers). The Pats, with Brady, have carved the Steelers up for a while yet they've still won two superbowls in that time.

everyone here is acting like Colt McCoy and Andy Dalton are gonna f.ucking carve us up the same way.

those are the Qb's that we're playing against in the regular season

and these are the Qb's that we could play against in the playoffs
huge difference IMO :noidea:

Brady
Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Ryan
Rivers

sharkweek
04-30-2011, 06:00 PM

lol, as obvious as it was to me, you gotta realize that THIS IS ABOUT THE STEELERS AND SRS BIZNISS (no goofing around allowed :chuckle:)

Farrior_roirraW
04-30-2011, 08:14 PM

Haha. I can. My bad, man, it's hard to tell sometimes on here.

Farrior_roirraW
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
those are the Qb's that we're playing against in the regular season

and these are the Qb's that we could play against in the playoffs
huge difference IMO :noidea:

Brady
Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Ryan
Rivers

Using McCoy and Dalton probably weren't the best options but my point is/was people are acting like we have no secondary at all.

Manning folds under pressure so while I worry about facing him in what would probably be a close game he doesn't carve the Steelers defense up (like Brady/Rodgers).

Rivers... lol. Since when have the Chargers done anything against us?

Did Atlanta even score a TD Week 1 against us? I wouldn't even consider Ryan elite to begin with.

Like I posted earlier does every team have a Brady or a Rodgers.

55BaileyFan
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
We have always had a suspect secondary (with the exception of Troy) I think this was another solid draft for the Steelers and they will try to fit these guys in and get them bred to be starters.

cloppbeast
05-01-2011, 10:48 AM

You're exactly correct. I remember some team in the early 2000's handed it to us by spreading it out, it may have been the Patriots, or even the Browns. But I remember after that game everybody was talking about how they established a blueprint on how to beat us and this and that, and how every team from hear on out will now know what to do to beat us. Since then, we've been ranked 5th or better in defense every year and have been to 3 SBs.

You're exactly right though, most teams don't have the offensive fire power to run such a system. It's not easy to sit back and sling it against the Steelers; you need an elite (by elite, I mean HOF worthy) quarterback, a great coach, and 3-4 good receivers/ tight ends. Last year, there were only 2 teams that met that description. Unfortunately, we met one of those teams in the Super Bowl.

Many Steelers fans don't understand match-ups. No team matches up well against every other team. While we match up excellently against the Jets and the Ravens, we don't match up so well against the Patriots. The Patriots match up well against us, but not the Jets. Now fans on here are basically suggesting selling the farm to get better at matching up against the Patriots, but we would thus be sacrificing at least some of our favorable match-up against other teams, most notably all of the teams in the AFC North.