PDA

View Full Version : Keith Williams Don't like this pick

Kingmagyar
04-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Don't like this pick. What was wrong with NTs Jerrell Powe or Ian Williams?? Powe is definately a better prospect then this guy. So is TE Weslye Saunders for that matter.

sharkweek
04-30-2011, 05:40 PM
lol, its the 6th round, are you really so certain you know more about the remaining players at this point than those who are paid to do it?

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2011, 06:07 PM
could be the numbers game... nick eason will most likely get the boot because of heyward. maybe they're not ready to part ways with chris hoake ,which is what they would have to do if they are serious about a future NT on the roster. :noidea:

i'd like to see a good blocking TE in the 7th... maybe gantt or pianalto

fuzzy159
04-30-2011, 06:13 PM
You pretty much can throw a dart at a draft board for the last two picks.

Kingmagyar
04-30-2011, 06:14 PM
None of us know more then the guys being paid to make the picks, but there sure is a lot of opinions on this forum isn't there. That's the point to express our opinions. Fan Forum not Coach's Forum.

I don't like the pick. Me personally I don't like the pick. i've been watching every minute of this draft for 3 days I've earned the right to say if I like a pick or not right?

Here is how many guys on the roster at this time we have that can play Guard or transition to Guard
Chris Kemoeato - not losing his job anytime soon.
Ramon Foster
Doug Legusky
Trai Essex
Dorian Brooks
Willie Colon
Tony Hills
Nevin McCaskill
Chris Scott

Here is how many that can play NT at the proper weight to do so
Casey Hampton 33 years old
Chris Hoke 35 years old

Most fans have wanted a NT so I'm disapointed in this pick. So
I DON'T LIKE THIS PICK when 2 NTs are still on the board, and the reasons listed above. We still have the
7th to get a NT though.

fuzzy159
04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
None of us know more then the guys being paid to make the picks, but there sure is a lot of opinions on this forum isn't there. That's the point to express our opinions. Fan Forum not Coach's Forum.

I don't like the pick. Me personally I don't like the pick. i've been watching every minute of this draft for 3 days I've earned the right to say if I like a pick or not right?

Here is how many guys on the roster at this time we have that can play Guard or transition to Guard
Ramon Foster
Doug Legusky
Trai Essex
Dorian Brooks
Willie Colon
Tony Hills
Nevin McCaskill
Chris Scott

Chris Hoke 35 years old

I DON'T LIKE THIS PICK when 2 NTs are still on the board, and the reasons listed above. We still have the
7th to get a NT though.

I personally think they will grab a NT in the first round next year. I wish they would have gotten one in the 4th but I can't be too upset with another corner.

Wallabeast17
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Even if they took a nt, afterwards poeple would have been saying why not a CB? why not OL? or why not whoever, just saying..... :chuckle:

GMU Steeler
04-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't blame you for wanting a NT since Hoke/Casey are getting up there in age but we can always find someone in UDFA and we're a good team when it comes to that.

bubbletownwr88
04-30-2011, 08:34 PM
like Ian Williams from ND

MDSteel15
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
lol, its the 6th round, are you really so certain you know more about the remaining players at this point than those who are paid to do it?

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick... :noidea:

Kingmagyar
05-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I kind of wish I hadn't started this thread. Now everyday I see Keith Williams I don't like the pick. I really have nothing against Keith Williams I just having watched the draft for 3 days wanted a Nose Tackle. Turns out they really aren't rated that high. Ian Williams and Anthony Gray did not even get drafted.

With Kugler, Williams could turn out to be a fine lineman for us. I still firmly believe in my comments about needing a NT with only Hampton and Hoke on the team, but we will see what happens. There also are some older FA NTs out there. So I might not like the pick, but have nothing against Keith Williams and who knows if we sign Ian Williams or Anthony Gray or a FA we would have both a new NT and OG.

cloppbeast
05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I kind of wish I hadn't started this thread. Now everyday I see Keith Williams I don't like the pick. I really have nothing against Keith Williams I just having watched the draft for 3 days wanted a Nose Tackle. Turns out they really aren't rated that high. Ian Williams and Anthony Gray did not even get drafted.

With Kugler, Williams could turn out to be a fine lineman for us. I still firmly believe in my comments about needing a NT with only Hampton and Hoke on the team, but we will see what happens. There also are some older FA NTs out there. So I might not like the pick, but have nothing against Keith Williams and who knows if we sign Ian Williams or Anthony Gray or a FA we would have both a new NT and OG.

I agree. I've been saying for the last 3 drafts that we need to get a NT. It's one of our more immediate needs due to the fact that there is virtually nobody behind the Big Snack; so not only do we have a future need for a starter because Hampton is almost past his expiration, but we also have an immediate need for depth. Hoke is not a long term solution.

I would hope this indicates there hasn't been a NT worth drafting the past three years. Hopefully one will come along next year. I fear some sort of covert mission by Tomlin to switch to a 4-3 after DL retires. I hope this isn't the case.

ebsteelers
05-05-2011, 12:21 PM
does ian williams fit our d though?

I agree. I've been saying for the last 3 drafts that we need to get a NT. It's one of our more immediate needs due to the fact that there is virtually nobody behind the Big Snack; so not only do we have a future need for a starter because Hampton is almost past his expiration, but we also have an immediate need for depth. Hoke is not a long term solution.

I would hope this indicates there hasn't been a NT worth drafting the past three years. Hopefully one will come along next year. I fear some sort of covert mission by Tomlin to switch to a 4-3 after DL retires. I hope this isn't the case.

when was the last time pitt had a 4-3 d? dont think in my life time

cloppbeast
05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
when was the last time pitt had a 4-3 d? dont think in my life time

I thought the '70s had a 4-3, but I could be wrong. Either way, Tomlin is a Tampa 2 guy. I fear he may want to impliment "his" system at some point.

ebsteelers
05-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I thought the '70s had a 4-3, but I could be wrong. Either way, Tomlin is a Tampa 2 guy. I fear he may want to impliment "his" system at some point.

yeah 70's,

im early 20's lol.

well if went tampa 2, atleast r corners wouldnt look like swish cheese, but it seems to me like were still drafting 3-4 guys, (ala life after dl)

heyward, hood, etc, then again they could be 4-3 d ends i guess..

cloppbeast
05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
heyward, hood, etc, then again they could be 4-3 d ends i guess..

Hood and Heyward could probably play DT in a 4-3.

ebsteelers
05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Hood and Heyward could probably play DT in a 4-3.

interesting, but i got your point, that its possible, hopefully not, though, seems like pitt invented the 3-4, and now everyones using it, but then we do the old switch a roo back to a 4-3. and still shit on teams

where does woodley play? or james harrison?

cant see them moving to de's.

cant see them moving to a 4-3 for the time being, too many variables need to change

Kingmagyar
05-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Looks like 1982 was the first year the Steelers used the 3-4 Defense. Gary Dunn was the NT, and Loren Toewes joined Jack Lambert as a Inside Linebacker.

If we would go 4-3

Hood, Heyward would be DTs, (Hood was in College)
Woodley, Keisel, would be the DEs,(Woodley was in College)
Timmons would be an OLB in a 4-3 (Timmons was in College)
Harrison could be your middle Linebacker temporarily until you draft one
Would need to draft another pure speedy 4-3 OLB

Would need to draft a better pass rushing DE then Keisel, and a dominate inside Linebacker.

However having great success with the 3-4 and drafting that way with
the Chris Carter and Jason Worilds picks although both were 4-3 DEs in college. And Cameron Heyward is
the prototypical 3-4 End.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I wish they would have spent the 5th round pick on DeMarcus Love from Arkansas....the guy would have been a steal as a guard.

PhantomJB93
05-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Actually we wouldn't be in bad shape personnel-wise for a 4-3 switch in the future, but I don't think it would be worth it. Worilds and Woodley were DE's in college, Heyward and Hood could both be DT's. Sylvester and Timmons could both stay at LB; I guess Chris Carter could play there but he's more of a pass rushing DE, so we'd need one more bonafide LB.

Who knows how effective those guys would be after having the 3-4 pounded into their heads though. Woodley and Worilds were good in college but fit much better as 3-4 OLBs than 4-3 DEs, they could still be good but I feel a 4-3 caps their effectiveness.

If Tomlin was even remotely thinking about switching to a 4-3 at any point though I think he would have taken the gamble on Bowers in the first instead of Heyward, though.

DanRooney
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Ramon Foster
Doug Legusky
Trai Essex
Dorian Brooks
Willie Colon
Tony Hills
Nevin McCaskill
Chris Scott

Chris Hoke 35 years old
Ziggy Hood 24 years old

7th to get a NT though.

Fixed it :thumbsup:

I agree with you 100% though, Powe was definitely my pick in the 6th round. Hampton has about 2 more years left at best. He struggles to be even a 2 down lineman. Hoke is absolutely ancient. It would be nice to bring in some extra youth at the NT position.