PDA

View Full Version : Free Safety

Santonio4
05-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Is anthony smith going to start? Well, I think so.

burgsville
05-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Is he the hammer they say he is ?

83-Steelers-43
05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
In my opinion, Clark is going to win the position.

clevestinks
05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
I`m going with Clark for now, definitley to start the season anyway.

tony hipchest
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
if polamalu couldnt win the starting job in his 1st year, i dont see how smith can. i think it will be clark too. unless theyre kendrell bell or casey hampton, rookie defenders really dont get thrust into the starting lineup.

coachspeak33
05-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Ryan Clark WILL be the Steelers starting FS, barring injury. The Steelers would not have signed this guy if they didn t plan on starting him.... He is making a position switch, however, as he played at SS in Washington. The only way Clark doesnt start is if he cant beat out Tyrone Carter... and the chances of that happening are slim and none.

slashsteel
05-18-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't know what games some of you watched but Carter was solid in limited playing time. I don't think the margin of difference is as wide as a few might think. As Clark has to learn the scheme, so to me that gives Carter a edge out of the gates...............

Busforever
05-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't know what games some of you watched but Carter was solid in limited playing time. I don't think the margin of difference is as wide as a few might think. As Clark has to learn the scheme, so to me that gives Carter a edge out of the gates...............

True, but I see Carter as a help at both FS and SS positions, as Logan but with different style. But Ryan Clark is a seasoned DB. He played FS with Sean Taylor, and that means something, because Taylor is often used in Redskins schemes as "x factor", like Polamalu in our team.
Finally I like our depth at DB. Good management. And if Clark proves he is an upgrade after Hope (not sure), it would be perfect.

83-Steelers-43
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I think he's either an upgrade or at the same level as Hope. In my opinion, Hope was pimped hard in this city. We'll see how he looks in that Titan defense.

Hines86Ward
05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I see Ryan Clark starting, and then Anthony Smith will take over next season. Tyrone Carter will probably switch back & forth between FS and SS, like he did near the end of last season. IMO, anything is better than Chris Hope. He was slow, stupid, and couldn't tackle.....

83-Steelers-43
05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
IMO, anything is better than Chris Hope. He was slow, stupid, and couldn't tackle.....

While stated in a rather harsh manner..lol, it is true to a degree. Stupid? I wouldn't know. Slow? Well, he wasn't exactly ARE. Couldn't tackle? I agree 100%. He was solid at best. He was definately replacable and going by what the Titans are paying him, not worth keeping around.

BBC
05-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I think he's either an upgrade or at the same level as Hope. In my opinion, Hope was pimped hard in this city. We'll see how he looks in that Titan defense.

Depends on how you look at it, was Hope the last piece of the puzzle that allowed Troy to do what he does, and in turn make the Steelers defense as potent as it is? Or did Troy just make Hope look better than he really is? I feel that it is the later of the two.

I think that Clark will be the starter, but Smith should be right on his heels waiting for him to slip up.

83-Steelers-43
05-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Depends on how you look at it, was Hope the last piece of the puzzle that allowed Troy to do what he does, and in turn make the Steelers defense as potent as it is? Or did Troy just make Hope look better than he really is?

I think Troy just made Hope look better than he really was. I'm sure Troy will be just as potent and effective if not more in this upcoming season than he was in this past season with Chris Hope. I think Troy will be just fine....lol. Like I said, I think the guy was overrated. I'm not stating he sucked, but his inablity to tackle was something that stuck out in my mind when Chris Hope's name is brought up. If your a safety, you should know how to tackle.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Chris Hope was a good player for us not great. I do think he was hung to dry sometimes with all the moving Troy does. Not knocking LeBeau and his defense at all. Just saying Hope wasn't that great in coverage and that showed at times when he was the last line of defense. The Steelers actually needed a quicker and better coverage free safety. I think Ryan Clark could be that guy. So I do think Clark will start. Smith can sit and learn for a few years and then take over then.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Is anthony smith going to start? Well, I think so.

Echoing the others only if there is a major injury would Smith start. It's just not Cowher's method to play rookies. If he just gets any playing time then that would mean this kid is for real.

Prosdo
05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Chris Hope was good, but for the money he wanted there was no way he would stay in a Steelers uniform. My biggest thing that I disliked about Hope were his tackling abilities or lack of.

Haiku_Dirtt
05-18-2006, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=83-Steelers-43] Couldn't tackle? I agree 100%. QUOTE]

Agree. The prognosticators who say that the loss of Hope and ARE spell trouble for the Steelers need to stop stealing each others material and look at the roster and the tape. Huh.

Reuben Droughns should have charged Chris Hope for bus fare last year in the first quarter of the first game. Ugly.

tony hipchest
05-18-2006, 04:45 PM
c. hope is like jerome bettis in one respect. their locker room presence, commaraderie, and on field leadership will be missed more than their stats and on field production. for the price of hope we get r. clark, v. haynes, a. smith and probably t. carter too.

hope will be a solid player for the titans and bring a winning attitude their and be a solid likeable productive player. however the steelers will be better off by not keeping him for his price.

slashsteel
05-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Clark is a SS making a switch to FS, so besides learning a new scheme, he is learning a new position.

Santonio4
05-19-2006, 06:59 AM
In our style of defense we need hard hitters and that is what smith brings to the table. Our free safety is going to blitz. So we will see what happens.

Santonio4
05-19-2006, 07:05 AM
In our style of defense we need hard hitters and that is what smith brings to the table. Our free safety is going to blitz. So we will see what happens.

83-Steelers-43
05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Going by past articles posted on this site pertaining to Clark, he's no cupcake when it comes to laying down the boom. While I have heard good things about Smith, he's only a rookie drafted by a team with a complex defense. Let him sit back this season and learn the defense. Some quotes pertaining to Ryan Clark..........

Clark is a speedy and versatile player who excels in coverage on defense and is not afraid to come up and make a tackle on a running back.

Despite his humble beginnings in the NFL, Clark has emerged as a leader on the defense. While middle linebacker Lemar Marshall helps get the front seven make adjustments at the line of scrimmage, Clark often helps the secondary get in position before the snap.

Said Marcus Washington of the 5-11, 200-pound Clark: "Ryan thinks he's a linebacker out there. He thinks he's a lot bigger than he is. He's probably one of the hardest workers on the team. A lot of times, he stays late after practice, putting more film work in. He's definitely a leader out there."

"He's got a fire to him," end Renaldo Wynn said. "He's out there just blowing people up."

"A lot of people say I play with a chip on my shoulder," Clark said. "I don't have a chip. I'm in the NFL; there's no chip. I'm just excited to be playing, and excited to get the chance I've been given here. And I want to keep making the guys who gave me a chance look good, and the people who didn't look bad. I do relish that, but I've been proving people wrong for a long time."

"He has the mentality of the whole team," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "He does whatever he's asked to do, he never complains about anything. He just goes out there and performs to the best of his ability. He's what you call a football player. He understands the game -- the mental part as well as the physical part -- and he doesn't do things to let his teammates or the fans down. He doesn't showboat. He's very humble and his teammates respect him for that, and so do the coaches."

burgsville
05-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm going to agree with SlashSteel, Carter did not play too bad. He might have a shot at a spot. He has a bit of a nasty streak !

nwksteeler
05-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Clark should start the season as the starter with Smith if he picks up the defense fast enough playing in dime situations and special teams. Depth here is essential because we blitz alot.