PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season

burgsville
05-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Was this the best off-season we've had in a long time. We lost very few starters and drafted well. We're reloaded for next year !!!

coachspeak33
05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
This is not even close to our best off-season.... it was nice dont get me wrong.... but in the past we have added FA's that had immediate impacts on our O-line (Hartings), LB's (Farrior). We have had offseason's that included trades that greatly improved our team (Bettis in 95/96). We also had drafts that added players that had a bigger impact quicker (Big Ben, Heath M, etc.)

I love Holmes and think Clark will help, but A Smith, W Reid, W Colon, and other draftees and undrafted Free agents will take a few years before having a great impact on Sundays in Heinz Field

Hines86Ward
05-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I think signing Ryan Clark & then drafting Anthony Smith was pretty good. I have a feeling that if Smith doesn't start this season, then he will for sure next year. And he'll be one hell of a player....better than Chris Hope ever was.

Suitanim
05-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Too early to tell, really. Keisel and Duce step up, and Clark fills Hope's shoes, and we are in pretty good shape...and I do think we drafted well, but only time will tell.

GoFor6
05-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I like Keisel but he is no Kimo - our rush defense (#1 at 3.4 ypr in 2005) will rise but as long as we are in the top 5 we should be fine.

TasmanianTroy271
05-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Yea, this offseason won't be one of our best in terms of immediate impact, but it may be one of those ones like in 2002, when like 6 out of 7 draft picks contributed in some way for a length of time. Who knows, Ryan Clark or Anthony Smith could end up being better than hope, Colon could team up with Kemoeatu and become new anchors on the O-Line, you never know what could happen, but it looks like this offseason will be good in hindsight.

BBC
05-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Meh, we lost 4 starters, and replaced them with capable players. We didn't really gain or lose much, not our best off season, but still not a bad one.

Black@Gold Forever32
05-18-2006, 03:12 PM
This is not even close to our best off-season.... it was nice dont get me wrong.... but in the past we have added FA's that had immediate impacts on our O-line (Hartings), LB's (Farrior). We have had offseason's that included trades that greatly improved our team (Bettis in 95/96). We also had drafts that added players that had a bigger impact quicker (Big Ben, Heath M, etc.)

I love Holmes and think Clark will help, but A Smith, W Reid, W Colon, and other draftees and undrafted Free agents will take a few years before having a great impact on Sundays in Heinz Field

I think Reid will have a impact as a punt returner this year. El was a good kickoff returner and punt returner his rookie year with us in 2002. Willie Reid was a great punt returner in college and I see him having a impact on punt returns.

clevestinks
05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
The fact that we won the superbowl finally, and we didn`t lose any assisstants makes it a great off season.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
You can say this was one of our best offseasons simply because we've planned ahead enough in the previous ones to not have to go all crazy with bringing in new players. From that perspective, its definately a good one...to NOT have to do anything major to keep the team in top shape.

WWIIOwheelz
05-19-2006, 08:05 AM
To have the universal opinion that they have, in fact, markedly improved is really special when we remember the blissful fact that the Steelers are the World Champions. :)

I start every football conversation with talking about how much they've improved. That shakes up the fans of other teams I know. Heh

ARKIESTEEL
05-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Isnt it hard to tell how good the off season was until the guys we got play? I mean Holmes could be the next Hines Ward or he might be the next guy to go play in the cfl only time will tell. The main thing that happened this off season was we lost our best vet that had great leadership and gave the guys a battle cry for last year thats the void that needs filled. The Big Loveable Bus will be missed in the heart of true Steeler fans world wide.

burgsville
05-19-2006, 01:37 PM

It may not be the best in terms of who we signed but look who we did not lose. We seem to always lose several key starters yet replace them with backups. This year we will have that extra year of maturity !!! Good off-season in therms of what we did not lose.

Suitanim
05-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I think a young Keisel will be MORE effective than an aging Kimo.

The Steelers know what they are doing.

tony hipchest
05-19-2006, 07:09 PM
what has been forgotten in this thread, not only have the steelers drafted and built solid depth for the future, but they have kept their coaching staff intact for a 3rd straight year. that has to be a record in the cowher era, and that in itself makes this a great off season. especially on the heels of a sb and a 15-1 season prior to that.

nwksteeler
05-21-2006, 08:16 PM
This was definitely a good off season,not the best. I believe we are at a point where we have a team that is ready for the future. We are returning alot of guys and loading up on future starters( Kemotoa, Colon, Smith, Holmes). Being the best is tough so you have to be able to build from within and not having to waste big bucks in free agency which will allow us to keep core players(Porter).

CantStop85
05-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Isnt it hard to tell how good the off season was until the guys we got play? I mean Holmes could be the next Hines Ward or he might be the next guy to go play in the cfl only time will tell. The main thing that happened this off season was we lost our best vet that had great leadership and gave the guys a battle cry for last year thats the void that needs filled. The Big Loveable Bus will be missed in the heart of true Steeler fans world wide.
Give this man a cookie! :iagree: